Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

hooptyjr posted:

What's the easiest way to hook up automation of a control in Reason?

Sorry to get back to you so late.

I had a lot of trouble with this too when I used to use a lot of Reason instruments in Live. As far as I can tell, you HAVE to use Clip automation for parameters within Reason, as they don't seem to show up in the Live channel's dropdown list of parameters. So, create a MIDI clip on the track with your Reason instrument, go into that MIDI clip and under Envelope, you should be looking at the 'MIDI Control' option. All parameters of the Reason device should be in there. I generally find it's easiest to make everything into Combinators, that way you're only dealing with 'Rotary 1...4' and 'Button 1...4' as opposed to a wall of parameters to sort through in Live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What magiccarpet is trying to describe is the 'Configure' button in the VST item in your instrument/effect chain (NOT the automation lanes). Once you hit the "little carrot thingy" on the VST device, you should see a button labelled 'Configure' also in the VST device - hit that; it turns green and THEN any VST parameter you tweak should appear as a horizontal slider in the device box. You have to hit Configure first so Live knows you're pointing at one control or another. This works for most VSTs and parameters, but some cannot be automated so easily (e.g: a lot of sync LFO rates).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Are you recording into blank clip slots in Session view? It sounds like you have MIDI Overdub turned off, and you're trying to record into a MIDI region you've already 'drawn' in Arrangement view (e.g: It won't let you record the MIDI notes into an already-existing region). Either turn on MIDI Overdub (it's in the transport) or simply don't create a MIDI clip, just arm the track/transport and start recording.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

colonp posted:

I think someone here asked for a way to play chords by sending single MIDI notes to a track in Live. I had a way in mind, but only got around to making it now: Chorder.

It should work fine with Intro and up, but it probably needs to be a fairly recent version.

EDIT: Never mind, I see what you did there.

Somewhat Live-related, I figured I'd ask in here since some of you seem familiar with Max/MSP. I was just recently turned onto mlrV, and want to use it in a ReWire context. I'm having recurring problems with mlrV, mostly that I'm totally unable to drag and drop samples into it. I solved this before but now it's back and I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 23, 2011

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

pelswick posted:

I know you're supposed to cut rather than boost when you EQ but would boosting and then lowering the master gain of the EQ to bring the peak down to baseline be the same quality-wise as cutting?

Yes, functionally you're doing exactly what you describe - that's why EQs/compressors tend to have adjustable 'output gain' or 'makeup gain'. You want to A/B at as close to 'unity' gain as possible so you're actually hearing the difference, not just one option louder (and therefore more pleasing). Does that make any sense? I find myself all the time thinking about 'the rules', but these days I realize it was my compliance with 'the rules' like 'cut only' or 'never compress X like Y' that got me into a "you suck at this" rut.

Wayfinder is much more concise about it; sorry. Don't throw strict gain structure out the window, but don't focus on it either. Do what sounds good.

EDIT: Wow, Vector 7 kills it again. Good post, and faster. Complementary EQ (cutting backing instruments at frequencies the lead shines in, for example) is definitely key. Ultimately, we're all getting at the same thing: Use your guddamn ears.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 30, 2011

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's almost comforting to know I'm not the only one who spends too much time making templates and not enough time finishing loving songs.

I usually keep it to one template for songwriting but it could be a good idea to make more... Currently that template has a group for Battery and two other returns (when I need more outs from Battery I duplicate one of them and change its input to the next in the plug-in), one ungrouped instance of Massive, a group with my Virus TI and its two other USB channels (with each channel theoretically representing four patches on the TI) and one track for my MicroKORG - but gently caress is that thing ever noisy! I have barely used it and the track stays muted most of the time. There are also two returns, a stock multi-delay and an SSL reverb plug. Naturally if stuff isn't used by 'mixdown' time it gets removed and most of the synth tracks are frozen/bounced at least once.

There's also another template for DJing with Live but I only tested it out - not really into it. Instead I started up a template with shitloads of dummy clips, really, to justify my APC40. As a production tool I never touch the clip matrix, so I made this goofy little template to plug my whole Traktor setup into - in series; two filters, a bitcrusher, a flanger and a formant filter, plus two returns with delay and reverb, respectively. What can I say? I'm finally getting to use all that L.P.D. (Lights Per Dollar).

I should talk less and write more music.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

bobquartz posted:

It's funny how long you can spend searching around for various sounds in plugins and presets. I always seem to do my best work when I use an analog tool and build it from the ground up rather than having a specific sound in mind.
This is the curse of the gear-slut. I have worse GAS than every guitarist I know, and it tends to only hinder my productivity. Honestly, look at all the loving oscillators in Massive (for example), and then think about how many of them you use on a regular basis. I was just talking about this with some friends, but I think the #1 reason I have so much trouble finishing things is too many loving options to get a good timbre that still has pleasing movement. I now have two mantras: 'Keep It Simple, Stupid' as mentioned before, and the oft-important 'Don't gently caress Around'. When you're high, every oscillator/LFO/distortion combo sounds somewhat pleasing.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 23, 2012

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

xpander posted:

Syncing Two Laptops

Do both machines have external audio interfaces with MIDI? If so, have you tried simply connecting one's MIDI Out to the other's In? I do this with two laptops running Traktor and Ableton and the only sync drift I get comes directly from my turntables - with a solid source like another instance of Live, you should be fine.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

blacksun posted:

How did you get Traktor to run synced to an external midi clock? I have Traktor 2 Pro and can only get it to send a midi clock (which Ableton still drifts against).

No, that's what I meant. Traktor is the master. Its clock is set to 'Auto' so it takes tempo from whichever deck is set to 'Master' and sends it out to my other computer that runs a series of dummy effect clips, some delay returns and some beat repeat stuff. As long as the track is gridded properly, I never have any sync issues beyond a small amount of drift with timecode vinyl.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
drat, i'm sorry (and surprised) to hear that you guys are still having sync issues. Honestly, for the purposes I mentioned before (including Beat Repeat), I've literally NEVER had a problem as long as Live is receiving sync. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :(

Content: what's the latest on Live 9?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was hoping they'd shed some light on automation curves. The new time-based metering for Compressor and Gate looks rad as Hell, though, and i can definitely see some of those nifty EQ Eight features coming in handy. It's about drat time, Ableton.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm curious about the Tempo Nudge feature in Ableton. Maybe it's just an acute combination of insomnia and GAS, but I've recently been entertaining the idea of using a platter controller (like a Denon DN-SC2000) to get more of a customizable-remix-deck/live-improvisation feel out of my Live rig. I seem to remember being able to bend the tempo and affect the sync (even with external sync on; convenient to correct for Live's inherent drift) with a knob on my APC40, but I'm wondering how that would translate to a platter controller. Do platter controllers generally just work 'like big knobs', or is there some sort of velocity factor to take into account that would prevent their use as a 'bend' control?

EDIT: ... I think I've asked this question before. Man, I need sleep. :(

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 29, 2013

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Can anyone running Live 9 comment on integration of hardware synths? I brought it up in the Synth Thread that the Virus TI has some timing issues with Live, and (cursory Googling suggests) it's a problem on Live's end - with external hardware in general, but especially finicky with the TI. Needless to say, I find this frustrating and kind of ironic. Has 9 improved on any of this? I'm about to pull the trigger on the upgrade.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

quote:

A lot of "timing issues" people have with external synths and instruments are the result of not understanding how Live manages delay compensation, driver error compensation, and monitoring. If you run through Live's built-in driver error compensation tutorial and learn to either always use "External Effects" and "External Instrument" devices for hardware FX/inst devices OR if you learn how to use your interface's direct monitoring instead of Live's built-in monitoring during recording sessions, you'll probably find that Live is pretty solid.

I know how delay compensation and monitoring work. All of this seems to imply forgoing the TI plugin and the USB I/O in favour of some 'external instrument' tracks and direct monitoring from my interface then, right? Can the TI plug still be used for editing/automation in this context?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Radiapathy posted:

From what I've read, simply having the plugin loaded is enough to cause problems for the people who do encounter issues with it. If I were faced with such problems, I'd set up a separate "utility project" that just has the plugin loaded so I can design patches with it, etc, and make sure to store any patches I create in one of the synth's RAM banks. Then, in any song projects I was working on, I'd use the Virus through hardware MIDI and the analog outs just like any of my other external synths.

That's a really good idea, thanks. I'm optimistic that this will speed up my patch creation, but then again I've been optimistic before.

Time for another template-creation session.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

shoplifter posted:

Looks like pretty much everything aside from Push is 25% off at Ableton.com. I ended up upgrading to Suite.

A buddy of mine showed me this last night and I immediately pulled the trigger on Suite 9. So many packs...

How do I authorize Max for Live? The Cycling '74 authorization page says something about having to authorize from within Live, but I don't see an option in the Preferences window.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've been meaning to use my APC40 more; I have a stems playback session all mapped out but I just need to get off my rear end and write more music, then mix it down to stems, to have a 'set' worth of material playable directly from the APC40 with a bit more control than simply DJing. It's a great little controller. The simplest trick I can offer is to group everything into Racks - even VSTs and individual Live effects - and map the eight macros to your most-used parameters. That way you know exactly which one of the APC's Device Control knobs controls which parameter at all times, without having to fiddle with one and go "oh that's filter cutoff" after seeing it move. The eight Track Control knobs up top have four mappable 'pages' indicated by the Pan/Send A/Send B/Send C buttons. Since I don't see myself having much use for panning in a live situation, I've mapped the default page to some send/return fuckery I have going on with my stems, and the other pages to control parameters on those returns. You can map the page select (Pan/Send A/etc.) buttons but IIRC this takes away their function, which is a bit annoying - I imagine there's probably a Max workaround for this but gently caress that, I'm lazy. Think about other uses for the crossfader, too - it's great to have an effortless horizontal fader for things like effect wet/dry, especially if you're into using dummy clip automation which is a whole other ballgame (that is, admittedly very fun). For a long time I had dummy clips set up with simple up/down slopes at 1-, 2-, 4-, and 8-bar lengths controlling an effect parameter, and I'd use the crossfader as a wet/dry to create more movement on top of that.

All of that said, I'm a lazy bum who hasn't really given my APC40 a workout in the context for which I've set it up - yet. Once I get off my rear end and bounce/cut/warp tracks, the plan is to keep them to three stems: Perc, Bass and Other. There will be two groups of these tracks on the APC40, staggered down the Session view so I can work from one page of the APC40's clip matrix. Songs will be staggered across the two so as to avoid triggering parts of two songs at once with the Scene Launch buttons (I like to use every default mapping that I can). Follow actions mean triggering a song's downbeat will flow the entire thing unless I stop it or retrigger something. On that note, a query about stem mixing for y'all: When I'm bouncing down to stems, obviously this is all before any effects on the Master, meaning I might lose some loudness and coherence from mastering plugins that I've employed on the song. How do I retain this? Should I Normalize when bouncing stems?

... Anyway, if you're anything like me you'll wrack your brain for hours on end trying to complete the puzzle that is your preferred template set. Then you'll change it a few weeks later.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

magiccarpet posted:

Its Envelope Follower

you just expanded my mind

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Another Max/APC40 question for you guys. I've got a knob on my APC mapped to the master tempo, but it doesn't control it finely enough - I can never seem to hit exactly X.00BPM, it's always a little off either way no matter how much I restrict the parameter range in the MIDI mappings. Is there (or is it possible to make) a Max patch, for example, that could allow finer (decimal-place) adjustment when the shift key is held down? Or have I just run into a limitation of MIDI's 128 discrete values?

I'm asking all this, naturally, because I was wrong (as usual) to expect much of Live's ability to sync to an external MIDI clock, so I'm now using the nudge buttons and typing in the tempo manually (which actually seems to work). I've said it before, but what would be really cool is a nice platter/pitchfader controller that can bend the master tempo in Live.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Wow. Once again I missed something small and critical that totally solved my problem. In MIDI mapping, if you click after the decimal place on the master tempo, it allows you to assign another knob to fine tempo adjustment. Now I've got my APC master fader set to coarse, and the cue knob set to fine - works like a charm, but what would be really nice is a larger tempo display, ideally in a breakout window.

h_double posted:

I'm pretty sure I've done this with the platters on my Vestax VCI-100 DJ controller (the original model, not the MkII), though it's been a while. I see them show up used on Craigslist pretty often.

Did you need to use Max for this, or did you just MIDI map your platter to the nudge +/- controls? I'm Hell of curious about this.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Does anyone know if there's a hotkey to switch between note/sample and envelope editing in the clip view?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Griff Lee posted:

I really like the Glue compressor, it's a lot of fun to play with as a bus.

Yeah, me too. I A-B'd it against the SSL Bus Compressor VST that runs off of my Duende (SSL DSP box with a suite of plugins), and for the purposes I most often use a bus compressor (back-bus stuff to crush the gently caress out of drums) I think it actually sounds a lot better. I'm finding it handy for basslines as well; it 'glues' the sub bass to the mids nicely.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ejstheman posted:

According to the manual, individual TR-8 instrument audio inputs should be available in any DAW, when the unit is connected by USB. Reveal the per-track IO options in Ableton if you haven't already, and see if you can select anything to do with the TR-8 from the "audio from" drop-down menu on an available audio track.

I was going to take a stab at this but I've run into a bit of a problem downloading the drivers from Roland's site - I'm getting a .tar -> .cpgz loop when I try to unpack the files. Anyway, this should be correct (and I'll verify it as soon as I can get this hiccup sorted). Make sure you set your Audio Input Device in Ableton's Preferences to your TR8, create an audio track and look in the available inputs of that audio track. The TR8 outputs its entire mix to 1/2 and the individual drum outputs start at output 3.

On a related note, I've gotten most of the kinks worked out in my TR8/TB3/KP3/Live rig, so I'll FINALLY be going live with some acid jams sometime later tonight (around 1.5 hours from now; 11PM EST). I'll post the link when I'm on.

OFF AIR, HERE'S THE RECORDING: http://mixlr.com/centurion-beats/showreel/because-gently caress-you-thats-why/

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 3, 2014

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Does Live still have that silly 2GB file size limit? I've been recording some rough takes of a DJ mix and the recording is dropping out. It doesn't hang up, the transport doesn't stop rolling, the audio track just jumps out of record-armed. The resulting file is about 2.14GB in size, and there's hella space on my hard drive, so I'm thinking it's that 2GB limit. I'm guessing I should just bump down my sample rate, yeah?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So something really strange is going on with my Drum Rack template and I'm feeling extra-stupid because I can't troubleshoot it.

I've got a Drum Rack with Battery 3 embedded in it, with 15 more instances of External Instrument sending MIDI to the individual pad notes. It's organized this way so that I can use Battery with Push's functionality, and maintain a full drums submix within Live itself - each Battery pad receives a single MIDI note and outputs to its own pair. This works fine; I've never run into any problems - until today.

For quicker sketching of drum patterns, I've loaded in some 808/909 samples from the native Battery library (Ate Oh Wait/Nein Oh Nein kits), so it's now ready-to-jam with some standard sounds that I can replace with more approproate hits later. Previously I've just built kits as I write, which is... inefficient.

Anyway, the problem is that for some strange reason, all of the hits are delayed with this template kit. All of them except C1 - the pad with the actual Battery 3 VST on it. I write a MIDI region and everything comes back delayed. Now, this is definitely something related to latency, because the delay changes as I play with my buffer size, or the track delay on the Drum Rack. But this has literally never happened before, and I've constructed handfuls of kits for songs, from all sorts of source files. If I 'reset current kit' in Battery, and begin adding sounds to cells, they come in on time - so I feel like it must be a latency issue between the instances of External Instrument in the Drum Rack, and Battery itself - but it just started happening when I built this template kit, today, and I haven't changed any settings.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
:haw: That did it!!! Turning off Reduced Latency When Monitoring, that is. Thanks SmejWorth. I'm still scratching my head though as to why it happened in the first place. I checked some older sessions and that option is still enabled, but the hits still sound on time and nothing changes when it's disabled. Strange. Thanks again!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I took the 'wings' off of my mk1 to save space.

This reminds me, I'm wondering if someone who knows M4L wouldn't mind having a go at a simple LED feedback patch for me. I downloaded a nice 'APC40 Utilities' patch that turns the track select buttons into a metronome scroll. This is useful but I'd like to expand on it by having the clip stop buttons also counting measures; one each for every eight bars. I tried to expand some earlier M4L patches but got confused - could someone walk me through it? I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
19 o'clock!!! Just wanted to let you know that I didn't miss your post, man! I've just been very busy with work and the holidays. I'm STOKED to check out that device you put together and will definitely let you know how it works as soon as I can! I'm excited to start actually creating things live, finally, and your work and ideas have been a huge inspiration. Thanks!!! Expect an awkward video outlining my live rig, very soon. Cheers!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It works swimmingly!!! Even seems to do the trick in odd meters. Thank you!

Now that you mention the M4L file directory, I actually don't know. I dragged the .axmd device to a track and hit its patch save icon to save a copy into my M4L library.

My live setup is really starting to come together. I'm picking up a Novation Ultranova and building a stand for all of it, and then I'll post a video of how it all works. I'm stoked. :)

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 30, 2014

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ They're great about that. Last time I asked for another license they gave me a couple extra ones as well.

Since I asked a similar question in the DJ thread, I'm becoming more curious about LED feedback. Is visual feedback for a MIDI-bound button something that can only be achieved via more custom M4L fuckery? I'd like to have visual feedback on the transport status of a multi-looper device I'm building and binding to a couple of clip matrix keys, as well as some Sampler cells with which I've done the same.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 30, 2014

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
19 0'clock, for some reason that eight-bar metronome device you penned has stopped working with my setup. I'm not sure if it's how I've saved it, put it in a group with other utility devices/metronomes, or what, but I can't seem to get those clip stop LEDs to light up anymore. Can you advise?

I might be able to fix it from here if you can walk me through but I'm no programmer. I'm also wondering if it can be edited to have the LEDs hold their colour state (or switch to orange) after the bar has played - e.g: instead of '_ _ _ _ _ X _' it would show '- - - - - X _'.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

19 o'clock posted:

Re: Clip Stop Bar Counter
Does it still work when used by itself? In a group have you made sure to select the control surface and then hit the on button? Are there other devices that take over those lights? I guess I'm curious as to what happened between "working" and "not working". I especially want to know if it works by itself the way it did initially, so that we can rule out an installation issue. Heck, wrap up all the devices and set into a .zip file and send it my way (arreges@gmail.com) and I can take a look.

As for holding color? Absolutely. I don't think (will have to double check this) that the clip stop buttons work orange or red like the clip launch buttons do. I think they are just on-or-off green. I can whip up another version of the script to hold color, though.

Today was a long one at work and I am going to relax for the evening, but I can probably get this figured out tomorrow. Nothing to do but grad school apps and a rec sports meeting at 6pm.

I totally gapped on replying to you some time ago, sorry.

No, it won't work if I put it on a new track by itself. I selected the control surface (actually it's selected by default when the device is loaded) and hit the button next to it - which doesn't hold its state, I wonder if this is related? There are no other devices that take over the lights; no MIDI mappings of any of the Clip Stop buttons.

I did group it with a couple of other utility devices - a big metronome/tempo readout and APC40 Utilities (for the Track Select buttons scrolling metronome), and that's when it seemed to stop working. But since then I've tried the device on its own, on other tracks and I can't get the Clip Stop LEDs to give visual feedback anymore. :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You want an audio interface, yeah. Head on over to the Audio Interface thread and ask for recommendations there. $200 is a tight budget for what you're asking, though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think you need to set the tracks being sent to that return track as 'Send Only'. It's an option in the I/O box.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 24, 2015

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Pretty sure he's talking about this.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Have you tried dragging the clips? Click and hold the clips then TAB over to the session view, drop them right in the destination track.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
1. The piano roll has 'folded' to only display notes that are used in the clip. Look for a little button marked 'fold' at the top of the piano roll in clip view.

2. Look up 'follow actions.' There is a box in the bottom left of clip session view with a number of options for once the clip has played for n bars.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Having just migrated to a new Mac that (finally) supports the latest version of Live, I mistakenly downloaded the 64-bit version but just realized today that some of my VSTs weren't showing up. Today I downloaded the 32-bit version, uninstalled and reinstalled. Now the software is crashing on launch in the same place every time: 'Initializing the application', after scanning all of my plugins. Any ideas?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
None of that helped, except now I'm pretty sure it's crashing due to a plugin - something in a Waves bundle, I think. It's not my video card, so I tried the other two suggestions on Ableton's website - fresh uninstall/reinstall, and remove outdated Melodyne plugins. Live starts up into its own template set, but when I go to rescan VST plugins it crashes on one of the Waves plugs. I can't tell which one because it moves so fast; I'm sure it's somewhere in the problem report but I don't know where to begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Live's got an effect called Beat Repeat that allows you to do stuff like that in various note values. I think a couple of the Delay effects also have a 'Freeze' button which effectively does the same thing.