Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

pennywisdom posted:

The studio I'm at right now has the waves gold plugin pack, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end to manage in Live. It installed the Waveshell.dll file to the plugin folder, and to use any of them I have to open the waveshell in the plugin window, then scroll wayyyyy the gently caress down to get to my beloved RComp.

Is there a way I can set some of my favorite plugins as favorites so I dont have to scroll through this bitch of a list?
I remember reading about a program called shell2vst that will split the shell dll files into separate dll files for each effect. I think it was on KVRaudio so try searching there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

pennywisdom posted:

Exactly what I meant. If I do that now, it will slow down all my guitar parts though correct?
If they are warped, yes, but you can turn warping off for the clips and they will play at the speed they were recorded at. If you need to keep them warped, hitting the [ :2 ] button in the clip view panel will make the clip playback twice as fast (as if the global tempo was still at 150).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

magiccarpet posted:

Synthesized guitar. Its probably stupid, but it would save some time in cranking out basic ideas.
GuitarRig and Amplitube are great at making pretty much anything sound very guitar like, especially if you're adding a lot of distortion. If all you need is some distorted power chords, you'd be surprised at what you can get by running a horrible synthetic guitar (general MIDI for instance) into either of those amp/effect modelers. If you have a pitch/mod wheel on whatever your input is, you're golden.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there a way to make the master tempo follow the tempo of a warped track in Session View?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

squidgee posted:

Yup -- if you click on the "Slave" button below "Warp" it will swap to "Master," putting it in control of the master tempo. You can rename scene launch buttons to BPMs to have them change the tempo if you want, too.

EDIT: Wait, gently caress, for some reason the first one doesn't work. That's bloody peculiar. The second trick still works, though.
The slave button only appears/works in arrangement view. I take it that means there's no way to do it in session view? I want to have a clip that has intentional tempo changes playback with those tempo changes but still be able to sync other clips to it. It seems odd that they'd only add that functionality to arrangement view.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

thArf posted:

The only problem I see with this are the live 7 and standard level users (no operator etc).
Flatten any virtual instruments or plugins that aren't standard with Live to audio before passing it on to the next person.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Mental Filler posted:

Also the User Manual is really hard to navigate as a pdf. Why no table of contents?
It's bookmarked

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If only you could use Serato with non-Rane interfaces. :cry:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Juno is basically giving away a free Launchpad with Live Suite right now. They have Live Suite for $662.26 and Live Suite + a Launchpad for $663.57.

http://www.juno.co.uk/search/?quick...s_genre_id=0000

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Live Intro looks like it can handle everything you want to do with some room to spare. One thing you don't get is External Instruments/Audio Effect devices, which means you wouldn't be able to automate your synth via MIDI from Live and have the resulting audio return to Live all within the same track, but you can still get the same effect using 1 MIDI track to send MIDI to your synth and 1 audio track to record the synth output. It looks like your synth has its own sequencer anyway, so you don't even need Live to automate it, and you can always just use VST synths instead.

As far as Live Intro vs FL Producer, I'd say go with whatever program workflow/interface you like the best. Live Intro is pretty well featured for a 'Lite' product, especially since it doesn't sound like the VST/Effect/Scene limits of Intro will be an issue for you.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you don't plan on using Maschine's software, I think you'd get more bang for your buck by going APC40 + one of the Akai MPD controllers or a Korg PadKontrol (I've heard the padkontrol has better feeling pads than the MPDs).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If it sounds like crap while playing back in Ableton, but sounds fine when you export it, it's likely an issue with your audio interface (or lack thereof). Go into the audio settings and check what the "Driver Type" "Audio Device" and "Buffer Size" are set to. For "Drive Type", you want it to be set to ASIO if that is an option. If that's not an option, try changing the "Audio Device" (if there's more than one option) and seeing if ASIO is a driver option for any of them. If that doesn't work, try increasing the buffer size (if you can't do this in this settings window, click "Hardware Setup"). A higher buffer can fix playback issues, but will also increase latency (time from when you play a note and when you actually hear it). Increase the buffer in steps until your issues go away. Also verify the "In/Out Sample Rate" is set to 44100 or 48000. If you're using onboard sound or a consumer soundcard marketed for multimedia and games, you may not be able to get clear playback without an unacceptably high buffer. If that's the case, an audio interface (soundcard designed for music production) is the solution.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Did playing around with the buffer have no effect? Even though it is an interface and you are using ASIO drivers, it could still be the issue. Try setting it very low and very high ( >= 1024 samples) and see if that has any effect.

The output config in Live probably isn't the issue either. That screen only determines what outputs are available to be selected in Live, not which ones are actually being used. Looking at your screenshot, you're only using 1/2.

For the echo while recording, what might be happening is the synthesizer is monitoring what you play while Ableton is also outputting the audio you are feeding it. It looks like there's a 'Monitor' knob on the left hand side of the Ultranova. If the knob isn't turned completely counter-clockwise to the "From Host" position, try setting it there and seeing if that fixes the echo.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Live 9 is a failure if there isn't well implemented multi-monitor support

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I agree that the Cubase floating windows approach is a mess, but Ableton could still keep everything snapped up and neat while supporting multiple monitors.

One big thing I want with 2 monitors is a full height MIDI editor on one screen with session or arrangement view on the other. A bigger monitor doesn't really address the issue of having to squish the main view to get a decent sized MIDI editor. Being able to see session view, arrangement view, track devices and clip detail all at the same time would also be cool (a main view + bottom bar on each screen).

I like what they're doing with 9, I just don't understand how this slipped through the cracks again. Multi-monitor support has been a highly requested feature for years and is one of those no brainer things that pretty much every DAW can take advantage of except Live. It makes me wonder what the hell Ableton has been doing the past 4 years.

As someone that turns to Komplete for most sounds, I'm more excited by program improvements rather than new devices and samples. After the Live 9 improvements, I think all that's missing is multi-monitor and a more full featured MIDI editor (i.e. sysex support).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm interested in seeing how well Push integrates with 3rd party instruments like Massive. It'll be a bummer if functionality is lost when not using Ableton instruments.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Looks like Push won't be able to select and control 3rd party instruments unless they are saved to a rack with macro knobs mapped out, and it's possible a separate instance of each rack may need to be saved for each preset you want easily accessible from push (not entirely clear on the later).

I'm starting to think upgrading to Suite when already having Komplete may be worth it for Push just for the tighter integration while composing tracks. 3rd party sounds can always be swapped in later in the workflow.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

sofullofhate posted:

So having paid for Live 8 Suite and Max4Live separately previously, it's still going to cost me $300 to upgrade to 9 Suite?

Really not very pleased with that. I get no credit for my existing M4L license. Argh.
Kinda hosed up considering the difference in price between buying Live 9 standard and Live 9 suite (including M4L) is under $200 right now.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I purchased Live 8 Standard w/ free 9 upgrade for $337 when the 25% discount deal was first announced. I just decided I want Suite instead only to find that my upgrade price is $299. Meanwhile, it only costs $187 more than standard to buy Suite new (both now and when I purchased Standard). Does that seem off to anyone else? It would be cheaper for me to sell my Standard license at a huge discount (say $237) and then buy Suite new than it would be to upgrade from Standard to Suite. That's ridiculous and doesn't seem like it's even in Ableton's best interests: someone who probably would buy Standard new from Ableton would instead buy it second hand.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For you guys that have been following Live for a while, how likely is it that (in the next year or so) there will be other deals close to the $337 one offered now? Assume I have no opportunity to use educational discounts, and no desire to get the Suite.
I think they usually at least have a sale around Christmas time, sometimes in the summer as well, but the discount % isn't always the same (I think it was 20% last winter). This current sale has been going on for ~4 months though so I'd be surprised if they did anything else before the holidays.

However, if Ableton doesn't respond for my request for better update pricing, I can give you an even better deal than $337 for Live 9 later this week :cool:.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm selling my Live 9 standard license on SA-Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536566

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The Ableton website now has Push listed as "ships in 12-16 weeks" (up from 2-4 weeks) :aaaaa:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Begby posted:

Not sure if anyone ordered a push from guitar center, but I did. Today they have a coupon code on their home page that is $100 off $499 and up and $200 off $999 and up. I called them up and they happily applied the coupon to my order without having to cancel and recreate the order (thereby possibly taking me out of line for availability). The refund will not be applied until after I receive the push.
Thanks for the heads up on that coupon. Just ordered Push with that deal this morning.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm loving Push so far, but I was surprised how hard you have to bang the pads to trigger a high velocity. It might just take some getting used to, but is there a way to adjust the pad sensitivity?

When step sequencing a drum rack, you can hold a note step pad and then nudge the note, adjust the note length and note velocity with the knobs. Is there a way to do that with non-drum instrument tracks (record a performance then go back and tweak the timing and velocities w/o using the mouse)?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Muck and Mire posted:

I know you've only had it a couple of days but is Ableton's marketing for real, in the sense that you can see yourself moving away from the mouse and keyboard and more to Push for writing and manipulating music in Live?
I think it depends on how you work. For me I've found I like push for coming up with drums, bass, and chord/pad instruments, but for complex melodies I still prefer singing them in then audio->MIDI (programming them to match the singing pre-Live 9) and tweaking w/ the mouse (I can't seem to figure out a way to nudge MIDI notes w/ Push that aren't part of a drum rack track).

In general I think Push is great for creating sketches or skeletons of songs, but for most songs I think there's a point where you'll want to spend time on sound design, sample editing, mixing and other 'polish' that inevitably will involve some mousing. Pretty much as advertised.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

j.peeba posted:

If you press and hold the user-button you can adjust the velocity curve and pad threshold.
Thanks for this BTW: This wasn't included in the manual that came w/ my Suite install. However, there's a newer version of the 9 manual available that has a bit more Push info, including velocity curve and pad threshold info. http://cdn2-downloads.ableton.com/manuals/901/user_manual_en.pdf

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The pHo, you aren't wrong about your complaints, but I think you are vastly overestimating their importance to the average user. Despite being one of the youngest major DAWs (launching after Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, Fruity Loops, Reason, Cakewalk and others), Live is currently one of the most popular. It reached this point precisely because of it's workflow and UX. Live is far from perfect and many users have of long list of features they'd like added, but these requests tend to focus on workflow improvements and things that affect the actual music being created (go browse the Live feature requests forum). Your complaints are neither of these things. The lessons pane? You turn this off once and never think about it again. Text clarity? At best a minor annoyance for a very small percentage of users. I have used Live since version 6 and there are a few highly requested features I'm disappointed Ableton has not added yet, but I have literally never thought about these 2 issues (and yes, I use a Mac). My advice to you is to stop spending your time spergin' about extremely minor details and go make some music.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
You might also want to do "Collect all and save" to make sure all the audio files needed for the project are stored in the project folder.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

nrr posted:

Thanks, the track monitoring defaulted to off for some reason. Is there any way to change that as a default setting? I'm not seeing anything in preferences. I'd like to set I/O to on by default, too if that's possible.

I'm on Windows as well, so the VST advice is great. Are you saying that if you want to use a 32 bit VST that you have to fire up 32 bit Live? Does that mean that you cannot have 32 bit and 64 bit VSTs playing together at the same time then?

There's 3rd party programs out there that will let you use 32-bit vsts in 64-bit live. There's one everyone recommends but the name is slipping my mind right now...

Edit: that's it..jBridge
vvvvvvvv

Splinter fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 2, 2013

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
That's awesome. I upgraded to Suite w/ 9 even though I already had Komplete mainly so I'd have the library easily accessible from Push when sketching out tracks, but with this makes Standard + Komplete a much more viable alternative to Suite now for Push owners.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I think they're pricing it a bit high for a new DAW, especially because it will likely appeal to the same people interested in Live. At $400, it is slightly cheaper than Live Standard, but Live usually goes on sale for less than that at least once a year. I think they'd do much better around $200.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I really hope Apple doesn't jump at that discount and make it Mac only like they did w/ Emagic/Logic.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Get with the program son! 30% off Ableton. See what I did there? You do?! Yes! :hf: :respek:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Dessert Rose posted:

Specifically how he mentioned that playing the first one feels like work with how hard you have to hit the pads. I remember being intensely disappointed in that exact aspect when I got mine. It sounds like they've fixed that, so I'm willing to "donate" my old Push and buy a new one on that alone.

Yeah, I think I'm sold too. For something that was billed as being playable like an instrument, I was a bit disappointed with how the pads felt.

So...anyone want to buy a Push 1?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
As a Live 9 user, is there any reason to keep the Live 8 library around if I no longer have any old projects that rely on it? Anyone ever find a good reason to use sounds from the 8 library instead of the 9 library on a new project?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Earwicker posted:

so I just upgraded to 9.5 and suddenly a couple of vst's that are very important to me no longer show up - synth1 and sampletron. in both cases the proper files are in the proper locations, they are supposed to be for 64bit.. anyone else have this problem?

Had the same thing happen w/ Synth1. Are you on OSX or Windows?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
FYI Apple does still sell a plain old MBP that has user upgradable RAM.

Earwicker posted:

I'm on OSX. I got Synth1 working again (though for some reason it now needs to be in a sub folder in my plugins folder in order to work) but have not gotten Sampletron back running. It always had problems as a VST so I prefer running it as an AU, but currently cannot get it recognized as either

Awesome, this worked!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What you want is what should happen by default assuming you put the desired effects on the track you are monitoring/recording to in Live. Maybe you are direct monitoring the input signal via your audio interface rather than monitoring in Live? Gonna need more info on how you have things setup on both the hardware and software side.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Guitar sims VSTs like Amplitube and GuitarRig are pretty great these days. They aren't quite as satisfying as playing out of a real amp (mainly because you're hearing it out of monitors rather than an amp speaker), but they have convincing sounds and behavior. They are also infinitely more versatile than a single amp. If you're just getting started recording an amp in your bedroom, it'd probably be easier to get a tone that sits well in a mix with a sim than with an amp recording. Another potential benefit (if you have roommates, a SO or neighbors that want some quiet) is you don't need to crank the volume to get the best tones like you do with an actual tube amp.

I haven't used others like Waves GTR or Bias FX, but I know some people like those as well. If you do go down this route I'd demo a few options and see which sound best for the type of tones you like. You also should eventually consider a MIDI foot controller (Behringer makes a relatively cheap option) so you can change presets, activate effects and use expression pedal based effects without having to take your hands off the guitar. The guitar or amp threads are also a better bet if you want sim recommendations.

If you just need something to sound something like an actual amp while you record before using the clean signal to reamp, Ableton's amp effect is probably fine. Another option if you are reamping is to split your guitar signal, one to the amp, one to your DAW. That way you can hear the actual amp sound while you are recording your clean signal.

Personally, I still like an actual amp for playing live, but for home recording I almost always use a VST. It's just easier, quicker and more flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
A different sound card could make a difference. Trying dialing back the buffer like NonzeroCircle suggested. The dual core i5 on the 13" MBP might be kind of limiting for running complex sets with many Serum instances. From what I gather, Live is able to use a different thread for each track, so the extra cores+hyperthreading on the 15" models do make a big difference in this case. Did your older computer have more cores by chance?