Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ulmont posted:

...shame about the horrible Jack Crow section in the middle. Not sure if it was ultimately good or bad Steakley died while writing the sequel.

Wow. Way to sound like a grade-A dick, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darkrenown posted:

I read The Dragon Never Sleeps recently since it was recommended here, but I thought it was awful. For the first ~20% I had no idea what was going on and didn't care about any of the characters, for the last 80% I had no idea what was going on and didn't care about any of the characters but I was interested in hearing more about some of the concepts and how the Guardships worked so I kept reading. Nothing more was really revealed though and I don't feel like the plot went anywhere :shrug:

I'm not getting down on you or anything - you're free to like whatever books you want to like -, but these explanations are just the weirdest thing to me. There's lots of stuff going on, but it was all pretty clear.

It's certainly not as easy a read as Harry Potter or anything. I feel like Malazan had a similar 'put you in the world and ask that you learn about it' process.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 28, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tanith posted:

I thought of The Dragon Never Sleeps as a novelized EVE drama and it made more sense.

What's EVE?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hmmm. That doesn't sound similar at all except for taking place in or around Space.Oh well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Washout posted:

I read all of falkenberg's legion over the last 4 days and it reminded me a lot of black company, are there anymore black company in space series that are good?

Maybe Tanya Huff's Confederation series?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/772606.Valor_s_Choice

I've never read Hammer's Slammers, but would that fit the bill?

maybe to a lesser extent Tony Daniels' Metaplanetary series? <- This probably isn't like TBC, but I like it a lot. :colbert:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/116171.Metaplanetary

Grand Central Arena by Ryk E Spoor? I enjoyed this one.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6948420-grand-central-arena

Drifter fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 5, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Be warned - Spoor lets his nerdboner swing free and proud. There's a decent classic space opera hidden behind all the silly references and shout-outs, but the series is only recommended if this page doesn't make you run away screaming.

Oh for gently caress's sake. None of those references anyone would get unless you're already some supernerd sperg.

Nobody normal would piece that poo poo together unless they looked specifically at that page before reading the book, much less have the world be ruined because of it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Antti posted:

Hey, since we're talking space opera dash mil SF here, I'm gonna once again recommend Scott Westerfeld's Succession duology, The Risen Empire and The Killing of Worlds. I think it's available as an omnibus since that's how I read it, just be mindful of what you are buying/ordering/borrowing.

It's one of the best syntheses of military SF with space opera political intrigue that I've ever read. There's a some cool action scenes interpersed with one of the protagonists navigating through the rotten edifice of an interstellar empire where the elite are immortal thanks to science, and the latter half has an incredibly tense space battle that kind of goes with the "submarines in space" cliché but puts in a lot of twists based on the physics of space warfare.

I'm going to check this out. It sounds roughly similar in tone to The Dragon Never Sleeps. I mean, really different, but your description made me think of it for some reason.

Walter Jon Williams' Dread Empire Falls was really good, too. Is that Space Opera-ish?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What about reading stuff like Vatta's War, or the Serrano Legacy? Maybe Huff's Confederation or Johnson's Theirs Not To Reason Why series?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
All you guys wanting interplanetary politics are really missing out if you haven't read Anne McCaffrey's Decision on Doona series.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Libluini posted:

I said he reacted like one, not that he is one. There's a difference. He also doesn't seem to get how WotR is just an extremely nasty book, he seems to think I'm writing all of this as a personal attack on him.
Jesus Christ stop posting.

Darkrenown, please stop responding to him. You don't need the last word in this argument. It's not worth it. It may be tough, but let it go. You don't need to defend yourself, not against this silly poo poo.

It's a dumb book, guys, we get it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 15, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

I started reading the Bio of a Space Tyrant books recently (am about half done with Mercenary at the moment) and I kind of feel like they qualify as space opera. The writing style and political mapping is in a very archaic style that makes it read very differently from more modern sci-fi.

There's some gender issue... issues with it (casual misogyny, men are stronger than women, a woman's place is with her man, that sort of thing) that I can't quite tell whether it's the author himself or just the world he's building.

The first book (Refugee) was really bad with the pirates and raping and cannibalism, the second book has been better about that sort of thing so far though...

Good ol' Piers.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm slightly disappointed that Gordon Dickson's Dragon knight series hasn't had the wizards go out into space yet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

Holy gently caress, the protagonist's name is "Hope Hubris"?

God drat, Piers Anthony. re there any low-hanging jokes that you won't reach for?

He prefers the low hanging kind because that's the only type kids can reach.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spazzle posted:

I love when lovely sci fi authors go on teary rants about how when they advocate for monarchy/pedophilia/objectivism/white supremacy in repeated books, it doesn't mean they actually believe in such things.

All I'm saying is I'd rather be a white wizard than a black sorcerer, you know?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

The series got knd of ridiculous near the end (literal anime mecha, time-travel communication via gravity warp, a tesseract inside every enemy ship...) but there were enough dumb action setpieces to get me through them.

How in the world are any of those things bad?

And to the other dude complaining about whatever, that's what Star Trek did, no? Kind of. Or it's what America did...to the Native Americans. A little bit. It's not like that's such a foreign idea - I assume that's what the quotes are for. I try to stay out of talking head politics though, so maybe I'm missing the point.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is Baen a cookie-cutter publisher or something? What is a Baen book? I thought Asaro was supposed to be a good author?

Fried Chicken posted:

Who the hell taught you history? No, we did not let them keep their way of life, we destroyed their way of life, genocided them, and shuffled the few remaining ones off into segregated areas away from us where we keep loving them over to this day.

:laugh:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 17, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

n4 posted:

I just finished the four books in the Count to a Trillion series by John C Wright. I really dig them, though they're ridiculously complicated. Unfortunately John C Wright is a crazy homophobe or something too.

If you haven't read them, his Golden Age trilogy is also really entertaining. They're really cool.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

I saw a fan (goon?) made cover for it that was just a silhouette of a chair... it was beautiful

This is my paperback book cover, though. From the publisher.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Muffinlord posted:

If I've never read a Culture book, could I get into that? Because now I have to loving know what the deal is.

Use of Weapons was my first culture book, too. After that one I read Player of Games and then just went back and read all of them in order from publish date.

But look...as far as 'twists' and poo poo go, and I mean, it's a great book, don't get me wrong, but if you've spent twenty minutes on the internet I can't see that it'll phase you or whatever in the slightest. It's a good fuckin' book, but don't let these weirdos build up that whole ending as though it were Jesus Christ washing your car and serving you lemonade. It's a good ending, of course, but it's not :psypop: worthy. At best it's :catstare:-worthy.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 30, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

Also Use of Weapons' ending "twist" was a lot more novel for me.

I've become inured to life. :negative:

...and puns, coyo7e. :mad:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's amazing, but is it any different than the videos/media already out? Or is it news because it's getting a dub or something, updated art?

I'm referring to the show, not the novels.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If I have the omnibus editions (1-6) of the Vorkosigan books, what are the books left that I need to get individually, and when should I read them between omnibus editions?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, so I have the omnibuses, and then went and picked up Memory and Cryoburn - the first to read after Miles Errant, and the latter to read last. Looks good. Thank you. Should be fun.

Now, While picking up those two at amazon, there was lots of crosstalk about Kris Longknife and Honor Harrington. One of those is the bad series, right?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

blackmongoose posted:

This seems like the appropriate point to post "How David Weber Orders a Pizza:"

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=635193

So what you're telling me is that the Safehold series is loving terrible?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Reason posted:

I asked in the recommendations thread, but I guess I might have more luck here. I just finished the most recent book of The Expanse series and I'm itching for more zerglike aliens and deep space explorationy stuff. Not sure I want some huge long epic million book series, but anything would be nice as I'm not sure what to read next. Thanks in advance!

Not sure about "explorationary" stuff, but some good bug/crab aliens are from Neal Asher's Polity series. Very actiony.

A.A Attanasio had a pretty god damned great book in the 4th of the Radix Tetrad, The Last Legends of the Earth.

Vernor Vinge's Zones of Thought duology is one serious fuckin' :krad: Great great books.

ihaven't read it, but I like the author, what about something like Julie Czerneda's Species Imperative series?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 7, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mister Kingdom posted:

Here's some space opera news:

http://www.space.com/30262-syfy-channel-space-book-tv-adaptations.html

I can't believe they're going to try and make Hyperion.

It's one of my favorite sagas, but I don't how filmable it will be.

It's syfy, even were it extremely filmable it would still turn out like rotten trash that has been for a week repeatedly frozen and microwaved warm again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

I'm gonna dis-reccomend this... I read and loved all of Cook's Black Company, but dragon never sleeps is an endless barrage of future space jargon and never has any exposition at all. It has too many plot lines and never serves any of them satisfactorily. It would have been a great duo or trilogy but as it is its kind of a slog. It does have a couple cool space battles and some of the various intrigues/scheming has payoff but it's too much work to get there for too little reward.
:argh:
My re-recommendation will override your disreccomendation of TDNS. Dragon is a fantastic book and weaves together a living universe. Some things resolve, some don't, threads are left, threads tie off, because it's a goddamned masterpiece. It's a book about the journey with endings that can continue on because they aren't meant for that book to close.

Not everybody needs a Lord of the Rings/Star Wars 'we've saved the world' party at the end to signify an end to an adventure. And sometimes exposition is fine, but you don't need it to the extent some people seem to require when the book is written well - as this one is.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

I'm a third into Shards of Honor and enjoying it enough, though. Once I'm finished this would you recommend I finish the whole omnibus (also contains Aftermaths and Barrayar), or go onto Warrior's Apprentice and then come back later?

Read the omnibii in the order they have been given.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Groke posted:

Omnibuses. It's not actually a Latin noun of the second declension and even if it was it'd have to be "omnibius" to get that plural.

Octopus/Omnibus :colbert:
Omnibodes.
I'll hear none of your shenanigans.

Baloogan posted:

I want some more 'solar system' sci fi, something much like The Expanse. Any suggestions? I'd like something with a 'busy' solar system, lots of colonies. Military sci fi would be preferable. I'm reading the 'USMC in Space' books but they are written for YA marines.

Metaplanetary
I really enjoyed it. And its sequel.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kesper North posted:

I thought you meant Linda Nagata's 'The Red' milSF trilogy, the concluding book of which came out last week.

No, they're talking about the Red Mars Red Rising trilogy, a YA Hungergames in space with a soupcon of YA politics nicely color coded.

vvv - thanks

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 12, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'll never understand that complaint.

You don't need to read an ADD&D booklet before the story gets going.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Long Way to a Small Planet's a really fun book. It hits some emotional points and is mostly has an attitude not unlike Indiana Jones or Firefly or something. It's got a nice group story. I enjoyed the hell out of it and will definitely read the forthcoming sequel. It's not Also sprach Zarathustra or anything, but not every book has to be.

pugnax posted:

Sort of space opera-YA-ish but has anybody read the Red Rising books? It really scratches all my itches for military scifi with a school for badass youngsters and noble houses slugging it out for control of the solar system.

People have been pretty positive about the series from what I've seen. Despite that, I've always dismissed them as yetanotherHungerGamesTwilightYAteenbullshitfantasycumromance but maybe I'll check out the first book at some point.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 24, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So I've read the Vatta's War series and thought it was pretty okay, and now I'm starting in on the other series where the captain learns to ride horses or whatever and she just finished ship-shaping her luxury cruise spaceship's crew from the slackers they used to be under the old captain. She also just finished owning the bratty cousin of the yachtowner and made him a better person by tricking him into studying or whatever.

I'm really not enjoying this at all...does it get significantly better or can I safely call it quits now and move on to other books and other series?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm currently reading this and loving it so far, I'm 1/3 of the way through and I love the crew already, it does a really good job of making the alien species seem... well, alien but not in an eldritch horror way.

Something I noticed though is that it gets "tumblr-y" (for lack of a better word) around pronouns. Rosemary makes a note about using "xe" for referring to a crewmate she hasn't met yet since it's gender-neutral, but when the ship gets boarded it goes into 2 pages of xe/xyr and a few others and one page later they use the term "headspace". Mind you, it doesn't bother me but it stuck out enough for me to notice it.

I forget the context of the term headspace - was it along the lines of being used as 'trying to wrap my head around it?' -, but the xe/xir whatever made sense from what I remember to help emphasize the alieness of her situation, and her being relatively new to the environment and merely booklearned. She just wants to be polite and those alien symbiotes are pretty uncommon. :ohdear:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Umm, yeah...haha ha.

:shobon:

That's pretty silly. But at least they were giant birds in power armor.

The headspace thing makes sense to me - off in their own world - and I only associate 'headcanon' with Tumblr, not headspace. Anyone who uses 'meatspace' unironically or after the 90's is a jerk, though. :mad:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Cherryh's really fantastic. Vinge, too.

A. A. Attanasio's Radix book 4, The Last Legends of the Earth, is pretty loving baller. It's part of a series, not narrative, but thematic or whatever. It's standalone.

The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook helps to separate the men from the boys when it comes to sci-fi. It's one of the ballingest.

Ryk E. Spoor's Grand Central Arena books are good, actiony fun. They're more towards the Neal Asher side of Sci-fi.

Julie Czerneda and Sheri Tepper both have written some really good stuff.

The Forever War.

Joan Vinge's Snow Queen/Summer Queen series. Hot drat.

John Wright's Golden Age series. Sure he's a dick, but the series was really neat with a super cool setting.

Tony Daniel's Metaplanetary series is really good. I liked it.

Have you guys read any of the Liaden series by Sharon Miller? Are they any good? I'm definitely checking out Tchaikovsky. Is that the same one who wrote all those Shadow of the Asp fantasy books?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Libluini posted:

What? Wouldn't our actual military units make more sense? Or is the series going for humor?

realistic self-insertion. Anyone can play Doom or Wolfenstein and be heroic from a couch, not everybody can do a pull-up or travel long distances at a faster-than-walking pace.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm still reading it but 45% in and it's definitely 1 star. Whole crapload of new characters who I couldn't care less about, talking to each other about exactly the same crap over and over again.

Isn't it like a 20 book series and it's been doing what you describe for the last 18 books? Like, why complain now about it?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Danknificent posted:

I got some new advance reading copies from penguin random house. This: http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/318370/free-space-by-sean-danker/

Normally I give these away at work, but this one's space opera. I'll mail one for free to anyone in the lower 48 that's interested.

Hey if you want to hook me up it sounds pretty neat, if no one else took you up on it. If I get it I'll pick up the first one just for kicks.

I'll PM you.

One of the reviewers describing his first book as Weir's Martian crossed with Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat seems pretty baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Honorverse readers are engaged in a real life 50 Shades of Grey relationship with that series.

:laugh:

• Locked thread