Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th
I tried reading A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Verge because it got some good reviews here, but I just couldn't get into it.

Things were poorly introduced and explained, people seem to lack character and I just didn't feel good pulling it out of my bag to read on the train. I stopped half way through the book and started on 'The Songs of Distant Earth' by Aurthur C Clarke.

Enjoying this one much more!

Vanilla fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Just finished the John Ringo Troy Rising series.

Loved the first two but the third as just meh. Didn't really seem to go anywhere and was too focused on micro issues instead of taking it wider.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Just FYI, the second book of the lost fleet saga that tells the story of the syndic planet came out today. Not yet gone for it as i've got too much to read as it is!

The Lost Stars - Perilous Shield

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

I've started reading the Star Force series, first book swarm and i'm enjoying it. Description below, an enjoying read, not a lot of 'hard' sci fi so far but it's killing the time while sat on the train

Kyle Riggs is snatched by an alien spacecraft sometime after midnight. The ship is testing everyone it catches and murdering the weak. The good news is that Kyle keeps passing tests and staying alive. The bad news is the aliens who sent this ship are the nicest ones out there....

SWARM is the story of Earth's annexation by an alien empire. Long considered a primitive people on a backwater planet, humanity finds itself in the middle of a war, and faced with extinction. SWARM is an 88,000 word novel of science fiction by bestselling author B. V. Larson.

Anyone else read it?

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Velius posted:

check your brain at the cover.

Absolutely, train on the way to work is even before the first coffee. I can barely dress myself

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Kellanved posted:

So I just finished with the latest book in Jack Campbell's Syndic series and I'm looking for something in the same vein. Something about the smaller faction and how it builds itself up , grabbing resources from around, etc. Any ideas?

Star Force series. I'm on book 6 and it's all along the same lines but....more enjoyable i found. it is a bit annoying though - it seems it's only the main character who can do anything

http://www.goodreads.com/series/69279-star-force

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Just started reading the 'In her name' series.

"The Terran survey ship Aurora makes a startling discovery in an uncharted star system: two planets inhabited by an advanced, and decidedly unfriendly, non-human civilization. Disabled by gigantic alien warships before it can escape, the Aurora is boarded by nightmarish blue-skinned warriors with claws and fangs who slaughter the crew in ritual combat using primitive weapons. The sole survivor, Midshipman Ichiro Sato, is returned to Earth as a messenger bearing a device that warns of an impending attack. "

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Conta...e+first+contact

Anyone else read it?

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

I've kinda run out of Sci Fi books to read. I've read most that have been recommended and interest me. I even trawled the threads of reddit to get some inspiration!

Kinda in a down spot now, I found some really enjoyable ones which I blitzed through (like the Star Force Series by BV Larson).

I decided to read Battlefield Earth again and am liking it after many years. Yeah Hubbard is a cocksucker but I actually really enjoy the book.

Any more like it?

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Latest edition of the Enders Game Prequel came out a few days ago...thought i'd drop that in here. Not yet got round to reading it.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Just FYI The last book in the Lost Fleet saga that focuses on the Midway systems, which rebelled from the Sydics, came out a few weeks ago. The Lost Stars: Imperfect Sword

Also FYI, battle cruisers are smaller, faster battleships. They lack the firepower or armor of a real battleship but were much preferred by officers because they can charge fast into battle and be at the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Mars4523 posted:

Is it any good? Or, well, marginally competently written?

It's been discussed on here quite a bit.

I feel it's worth a read, but is a bit repetitive. The last line of my post was a reference to that which many will get.

• Locked thread