Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Quick simple one, is there any way to add a message to the admin centre so I can set something up there to let the other authors know about something? I'm being kind of vague, I'll use an example.

On my site I want to have a style guide that the authors can refer to before publishing a post. I thought maybe a private page would work, but I want a way to shove it in their face when they log in. That way if I ever need to notify them all of something, I can simply update the message and they'll see it when they log in.

Any plugins about that will do this? Writing it out like that, it seems like it should be easy to find something but my Google fu is failing me completely.

Edit: Another question, I've just implement the Disqus commenting system but I've noticed it doesn't support commenting as a Wordpress User, so the Authors and I have to login through other channels to comment, or reply or whatever. Anyone know if there's a way to integrate the two, so commenting as a Wordpress User is also possible, just as an additional option?

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Speaking of custom post types... I've been working on something that called for a custom post type so I did some research and banged up a quick custom post type that has the provision for recording two custom fields of information against it. These fields are "author" and "author url". For some reason I can enter data in, save it and it sticks - I can see the data from those fields on the site, I can see the data in those fields when I edit the "post". But for some reason after a seemingly arbitrary period of time the fields are being reset to blank for some reason. Why on earth is this happening?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

fuf posted:

One thing I've always wondered is what happens to a child theme if the parent theme gets an update? Could that cause conflicts or problems?

Are there any themes that are particularly suited to serve as the basis for a child theme? The few times I've done it I've always used the twenty eleven theme. I like fairly minimal sites so I'd quite like a theme where I have to add features, rather than spending a lot of time taking features out. What's the most minimal it gets without actually having to start from scratch?

Finally, my retired dad is part of a little photography club. He mentioned that they'd quite like a website where they can each log in and upload their photos and have their own little gallery. Seems like a perfect job for wordpress, are there any plugins or themes that are particularly suited to that?

The google term you're looking for is "skeleton" or "boilerplate" theme, there are a few around. I can't recommend a specific one since I haven't look too far into it but I have used a few way back and they're specifically made to serve as a basis for a child theme.

Edit: Had a very brief look and this one looks pretty good as it has all the basic stuff built in and you just have to add your bells and whistles on top: http://www.simplethemes.com/blog/entry/skeleton-wordpress-theme

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 3, 2012

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

SickBeat posted:

Alright, so I'm pretty new at Wordpress, even though I've worked with it before, tweaking and updating.

My question is, I have to take an already existing .psd and convert it into a WP theme. I already know how to convert a design into HTML/CSS and I was wondering if translating it into WP was easy enough.

Do I need a 'blank' theme, do I make it into a WP at first or make the CSS/HTML markup first, then putting it into the template...

What are the best ways to do this, from your experience? Any tutorials, tools or anything that could help me?

The easiest way is to dig through an existing theme - the default is a good start - and look at how it's put together. You will need to have at least a basic understanding of PHP in order to make your own themes.

Other than that, Googling for information is a surprisingly reliable way to find tutorials as there are a LOT of them out there.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

This is driving me insane. What I want is a plugin that will add a +1 or -1 rating system to each post on my blog. All of the plugins I've tried have either thrown errors, haven't automatically inserted themselves after each post, or only offer star ratings and not the simple +1/-1 system. The one I would like to use is GD Star Ratings, but the 1.9 version doesn't seem to allow you to turn off thumb ratings on a category-by-category basis which is a requirement for me. So I got the 2.0 beta and that doesn't even seem to have a settings page (it loads up blank).

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

I'm kind of at my wits end here. All I'm trying to do is add a custom image size to enable Wordpress to generate appropriately sized images for my featured post carousel. The size I'm wanting is 650x300. So I've added this to my theme's functions.php file:

PHP code:
add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );
add_image_size( 'feature-slider-image', 650, 300, true);
function bavg_image_sizes_choose( $sizes ) {  
    $custom_sizes = array(  
        'feature-slider-image' => 'Featured Post Slider Panel'  
    );
    return array_merge( $sizes, $custom_sizes );  
}

add_filter( 'image_size_names_choose', 'bavg_image_sizes_choose' );  
But it doesn't work. At all. No thumbnail images are even created, let alone available for selection when inserting media. Any ideas on what I've messed up here? It seems as though the first part - adding thumbnail support to the theme - isn't even working at all. I feel like if I can fix that, the rest will be fine.

Edit: Even more puzzling, I thought maybe there was just some caching error going on so I installed the AJAX Thumbnail Rebuilder plugin which is supposed to go through each of your images and rebuild the thumbnails (for cases where you might change your thumbnail sizes after some images have already been posted in the past). The custom thumbnail size is shown in the list when I run it, but no thumbnails (even the standard ones) are actually created.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 6, 2013

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Are you using a Custom Theme? Child theme? Commercial Theme? I've had problems with some functions/filters in Child Themes we have, which sucks and is too annoying for me to try to fix.

Custom theme, but not a child. Built from scratch by myself so I've even tried it with the functions file completely cleared EXCEPT for the code I posted above. It's incredibly frustrating because I can't find anything wrong with what I've done, and all of the Googling I do suggests the exact same code.

Edit: I also posted this question on Stack Overflow and no one has responded there either, so I'm thinking it's something annoyingly obscure.

Edit again: I even tried moving the theme onto a brand new installation of Wordpress and it doesn't work there either, so it doesn't seem to be a plugin problem or anything like that.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 6, 2013

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Adraeus posted:

Enable error reporting and check if you have the GD library installed.

You are a beautiful person - seriously, this was driving me insane.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Cross posting from the .NET thread - has anyone here tried WP.NET? The site has virtually no information on it and I'm curious as to how well it works (if at all)?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Resurrecting this old thread for a quick question with hopefully a quick answer.

I am trying to set up a WordPress container for local development. I'm using the bitnami/wordpress image and in my Dockerfile I'm copying my theme files into the image at /wordpress_themes/my_theme and I have an init script that will symlink the contents of that directory to the /bitnami/wordpress/wp-content/themes/my_theme directory, and then set the WordPress theme to that them using wp-cli.

This all works great. I can build an image that holds everything and works well, and I can also run the container with my theme directory mounted as a volume at /wordpress_themes/my_theme and my local changes will show up in the container. BUT there's always a delay, about 5 minutes. I assume something in WordPress is doing some caching of the template files, but I can't work out what it is doing and how to disable this behaviour. The changes show up just fine, it all works really nicely, but it just takes too long for the changes to show.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Thanks guys, I really wasn't expecting any replies so soon!

kedo posted:

Unless you have a WP caching plugin enabled, I'd imagine the caching is taking place within your plugin. WordPress has extremely limited native caching abilities, and what you've described doesn't sound like something it would do on its own.

The only custom stuff I have on there so far is the "BlankSlate" theme which I'm using as a parent theme to my own child theme. The child theme has nothing in it around caching and I can't see anything in the parent theme to imply it's caching things either.

Your line of enquiry does make me wonder though whether this might be something built into the bitnami image somehow. I'm also encountering other issues, the container doesn't appear to having any internet connection from inside it either :( Maybe I should have just built my own WordPress image...

DaWolfey posted:

If you've also containerised it, then maybe you are using a reverse proxy to serve the front end? In which case, the proxy may be caching too.

Nah nothing like that as yet, I'll do this eventually but haven't done anything like that yet it's just its own container with a mariadb container alongside it in a docker-compose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Got it sorted - it was an env variable for the container called "PHP_ENABLE_OPCACHE". I needed to set that to "no", now it all updates immediately in dev while I can still deploy it with that flag enabled.