Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Buying the same album to get your hands on a different mastering is perfectly valid.

SACD is great for classical music. It’s kind of astonishing how many multichannel recordings have been made.

i think classical is the only genre which still regularly supports the audiophile formats. BIS, Channel Classics and Chandos still make SACD stuff, and the big labels are trying really hard to make "spatial" BD-audio (eg Dolby Atmos) a thing because Quadrophonic didn't fail hard enough in the 70s.

it's not really that surprising because classical was always kind of the prestige audiophile genre, though a lot of it has been trying to recapture the magic that the first stereo boom and then the CD boom had.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
For the longest time American audiophiles would claim the best sounding records ever made were RCA Living Stereo classical records which is why early pressings of them still sell for inflated amounts at some stores.

There's an old school record store near my old apartment which still has an entire selection of RCA LSC records at way over what I'd pay for a classical LP especially when I can find them elsewhere for cheap.

Love that Living Stereo logo though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mercury is the other label for classical stereo records audiophiles loved and i like that they were proud enough of their three Schoeps/Telefunken mics that they put them on their CD box set front and center

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
because i never get to nerd about old rear end classical audiphilia, one of my favorite bits of insanity was the whole London Records/Decca records thing

Decca was the audiophile favorite for British classical records but they didn't have the rights to the Decca name here, so they sold their records under the London Records brand. London Records LPs which were manufactured in the UK are exactly the same as the Decca records, as in they have the exact same stamper numbers and all that. Despite this there are a whole slew of people who swear on the bible that Decca-branded records sound clearly better than the London ones, and that the engineers at the Decca plants secretly changed the mastering for American releases, or hoarded the Hot Stamper releases for themselves.

This is a flamewar that has been going on since like the 1950s. You still see people argue about it today.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I have a whole collection of DG stuff, mostly found dirt cheap at thrifts and estate sales, stretching from like the mid 50s to today and all of it sounds lovely

i love Archiv which were DG's early music/baroque label. they had all these certificates about the recording process in the boxes and everything about it down to the typefaces used are so German

classical is fun to collect because unlike every single other bit of the LP world it hasn't skyrocketed in price. i've had shops just give me poo poo for free because i'm the only person they know who will take classical off their hands

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

strtj posted:

When I worked at a record store we got a big collection from a university professor who was a hardcore audiophile during that time (like $10k+ ribbon speakers, the whole works) and some of those Living Stereo records sold for absolutely wacko amounts of money. Someone could make a loving killing taking the tapes for those from the RCA vault and reissuing them in high-res digital, or something really crazy like 10" half-track reel to reel tape

oh they constantly get reissued, in SACD no less. I think pretty much all RCA exists for as a brand anymore is for Living Stereo box sets reissued by Sony

i kinda want one of the RCA LSC classical boxes but they're expensive used and classical stuff goes out of print immediately

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ftr they really sound great but one of the big reasons that there was a massive boom in RCA Living Stereo record values in the 80s or so was when The Absolute Sound declared that the Carl Reiner/CSO recording of Pictures at an Exhibition was the greatest sounding record ever made or something, and a single publication could still have that kind of impact

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

strtj posted:

Someone could make a loving killing taking the tapes for those from the RCA vault and reissuing them in high-res digital, or something really crazy like 10" half-track reel to reel tape

lol speak of the devil

i mean i get it, reel-to-reel is just kinda cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that reissue costs $450 btw. vinyl is just not expensive and impractical enough

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i really do love the sound of those 50s/60s stereo classical recordings, by the way. The Absolute Sound might be full of BS, and I don't think they're the greatest records ever pressed or whatever the hell they said, but they're great performances, especially the Munch/Boston stuff

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is one of my favorites, there's an earlier recording and idk why Munch/BSO did it twice but I think this is just an incredibly exciting Fantastique

https://tidal.com/browse/album/66093167

I'm glad streaming services have it since it only shows up in complete Charles Munch box sets these days- the earlier recording is the one that gets reissued constantly

e) i always liked a joke from a classical record guide that the reason record companies made so many releases of Holst's "The Planets" was because hi-fi dealers loved using them to show off speakers to prospective customers

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 1, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

strtj posted:

Well recorded synth stuff is actually great for testing a full range of frequencies.

classical music, too!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the best product I've seen was a cable lead that you were supposed to hold to ground yourself while listening, to prevent interference from your own static energy. The tag line was "put yourself into your system"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lmao of course its Synergistic Research
https://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/hd-sx-metaground/

it's $495. to be clear it's $495 for what amounts to an anti-static wristband. the ground block is $8,000.

quote:

And this got Ted to thinking, “What if I grounded myself along with the system to the Galileo Ground Block SX? Would this carry a similar benefit?” We built a prototype ground strap the following day and connected a listener to the Galileo Ground Block SX, where we grounded the rest of our reference system, including Tranquility Bases, Cables, Racks, and the frame of our listening room; and guess what? Our reference system got better when we were grounded. Grounding yourself to your system delivers improvements that start with more natural sound. Soundstaging is more realistic, with individual instruments and vocals taking on precise placement with improved high-frequency decay and smoothness. Even the bass is improved. We realize this may be a stretch for many people to accept, so we make it easy for you to try before making a final decision.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 18, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A440 being some kind of vast elite conspiracy was one of the tenets of Lyndon Larouche so you know it's good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"historically inspired" ensembles love tinkering with pointless poo poo so it wouldnt surprise me to see a ton of variation in pitch and temperament depending on who's conducting that day

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
after getting into a sinkhole of reviews of "audiophile grade" ethernet switches I have a great scam idea. someone needs to bring back network hubs, but for audiophiles. mention that switches use some dirty encapsulation method to alter the signal, while hubs pass along the pure, unaltered signal. make some comparison that switches are like digital, and hubs are analog.

please don't let me know that someone's done this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i kind of get what "soundstage" means

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like i assume it's referring to stuff like the process of finding the right place to listen to stereo speakers so your brain successfully puts the two channels together or whatever it is, it's still kind of a funny term

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
arent some of the software-based 3D audio calibration things like on new bluetooth headphones really good at that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is from 2016 but I just found it today.

it's the world's tiniest magic acoustic rock, you put it on your cartridge, it's so cute :3:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
how was the soundstage

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

strtj posted:

also what the gently caress is that cartridge. it looks like a lovely hot rod paint job

it's a Lyra cartridge which cost like $10,000

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think every cart past like the $1k point looks like rear end, even the wood Grado ones

e) ok exception, the DS Audio carts with the Cylon light look sick

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 17, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
on the other hand the majority of audiophile network switches i see are unmanaged ethernet switches which frequently run at 100Mbps, probably because that's the speed of the TP-Link card that they're using to make their dumb poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Palladium posted:

audiophile engineering is pushing the boundaries so hard they can't even pay the chinese $1 for gigabit ports on a $2000 box

i kind of differentiate between useless poo poo that's clearly a labor of love, like insane mass-loaded turntables that look like steampunk espresso machines and cost $100k, versus stuff that is blatantly made in bad faith like shoving the innards of a TP-Link into a new case

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Palladium posted:

it actually has a mic that learns your room modes and a camera that adjusts the EQ depending on where it detects you in the room

at least this does something unlike loving power and digital cables/cleaners and ethernet switches

yeah it'd be fun to try a demo because that at least theoretically does something, though i'm virtually positive it isn't $25,000 worth of something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That JBL thing is actually kinda cool but yeah I'm not sure why you'd get that and not just get a pair of powered speakers instead.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

on the other hand the majority of audiophile network switches i see are unmanaged ethernet switches which frequently run at 100Mbps, probably because that's the speed of the TP-Link card that they're using to make their dumb poo poo

an update on this is that apparently some audiophiles think 100mbps switches sound better because gigabit switches need more powerful processors, which introduce more noise into the signal chain or something, which is just to say that the "sell old network hubs to audiophiles" thing would totally work

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
more like BJL

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also what's the coolest looking overpriced audiophile poo poo, a lot of them have that "DIY" look to them but I absolutely love the DS cart with the Cylon light on it and would totally get one just for that if I had lottery money

(sadly it doesn't track back and forth like the actual Cylon light)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
isn't the non-rebranded-Chinese Grado stuff literally just made by some dudes in a shoddy basement

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
dammit i kinda want those pokemon phones

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my favorite audiophile rock

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is from 2016 but I just found it today.

it's the world's tiniest magic acoustic rock, you put it on your cartridge, it's so cute :3:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Absolutely nothing in Stereophile or TAS about MQA going bankrupt. Lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

qirex posted:

The audience that reads things like TAS is a segment of the market that is literally dying. Young people are getting into audio and it’s via headphones and powered speakers and little $100 DACs but it’s still much easier to sell one million dollar thing to the right sucker than a million two dollar ones.

You kind of see this with a ton of the "legacy" audio companies now pushing stuff like soundbars and powered stereo speakers. I imagine it's easier these days to sell people getting into audio on like, a Rega P1 and a JBL soundbar than some setup involving an amp/receiver.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's also that big group (Voxx) who own Klipsch, Onkyo and Pioneer's non-turntable stuff and Klipsch has gone hard into soundbars and powered speakers too, while still having the more "halo" stuff like the Klipschorn/La Scala line.

(apparently those guys also own Acoustic Research but as a zombie brand - all that's on their site is outdoor speakers and some rebranded IEMs)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Some "actual" MQA news

https://www.ecoustics.com/news/mqa-bankruptcy/

quote:

There have been a series of events in recent months that likely explain why MQA filed when it did.

First, MQA’s attempt to get the MQAir codec into the Bluetooth standard failed when the Bluetooth SIG did not add it to the latest release. MQA had certainly been hoping for that as it would have given them a leg up on other competing codecs as being in the standard would ensure broader compatibility than any of the current proprietary offerings (aptX, LDAC, LHDC, etc.).

Having failed in their attempt to do that, MQAir was left to compete on a more even footing with more established offerings and has a tougher road ahead

Speculation mainly being that MQA's Bluetooth codec was seen as possibly being a viable product but MQA itself was not (the funniest thing being them speculating that they renamed it "SCL6" to avoid association with MQA and make it more attractive to buyers)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 8, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in *fairness* the idea of MQA being "cool technology which gives lossless sound quality with lower bandwidth" makes a ton more sense in the Bluetooth realm than the online streaming realm. now that tech might be a crock of poo poo but that's besides the point

does anyone actually give a poo poo about their Bluetooth codec btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

taqueso posted:

BT audio used to be incredibly bad so, yes

I mean in the "having strong opinions on LDAC vs APTX" sense