Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

THX has been useless for years too, certifying cheapo Dell computers and Logitech speakers. This whole thing is hilarious. More comments here but go back to the beginning of the thread if you want to read more from the naysayers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seriously, why are these people so loving obtuse and simply don't want to understand binary encoding systems and transmission?

Because they're coming from a world where dumbass audiophile tweaks were accepted because of the "mystery" of analog audio. The people involved are either trying to sell/promote useless poo poo or they want to be lied to about it because the very thought that a 50 cent monoprice cable is just as good is orthogonal to their entire way of thinking.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flyboi posted:

Ah, the know-nothing angry response to "audiophiles" that anything over $20 is wasted money. You should have posted the GoatKCD.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wouldn't trust my valuable system to a mere $5000 worth of voodoo
http://www.electronichouse.com/slideshow/products/1827/371

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Opensourcepirate posted:

Blue Jeans Cable is my favorite source for premium cables at reasonable rates. They also have some very in depth and interesting articles on what makes a quality cable and why HDMI is a terribly designed standard.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/index.htm

$38 is not "reasonable" for a six foot RCA cable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Needle tracking in zero gravity requires too much force and I don't want to burn up my 180 gram records.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

timb posted:

Just read it with a laser.
That sounds suspiciously... digital.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

danbanana posted:

more casualties of the audio-wars. will the death ever cease? how much blood must we spill!?

That gives me an idea, has anyone ever explored the sonic properties

of human blood? :drac:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If getting better equipment has taught me anything about music it's that a lot of stuff was recorded/mixed really badly.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Audioholics did a review of the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers and they only listed "con" in the summary is

quote:

Lacks high-end feel & pride of ownership factor
which to me is hilarious because they could have said the same thing in several different ways, like "design kind of ugly" or "cabinet finish feels cheap" [which he did say later in the review] but they decided to state it in the lamest way.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ron Burgundy posted:

In my opinion, in many ways Bose and Apple Computer are quite similar. They both started with great products but now just design equipment that is manufactured overseas for a massive mark up. The build quality is acceptable, but with a little know-how you could find something better for the price.

They are shiny and designed for people who don't care how it works I just want it to work now and look pretty.

This isn't a good analogy because Apple stuff runs different software than their competitors so what you get cheaper isn't comparable in any way except a spec sheet. They do get some sales from hype but you can't argue that they offer the same experience as cheaper competitors.

Plus stuff like the 10" iPad is price competitive.

KozmoNaut posted:

Here's a link someone posted in AI, it's a glowing review of the Bose 901. Let's play "spot the bullshit":

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/we-review-the-bose-901/

I'll start out easy. The author states that he really wants to experiment with "cable placement" :downs:
Thanks for linking this, it led to to this delightful BlackBody review:

quote:

So what exactly happened when introducing the Blackbody? Like I said and wrote many times: if I don't hear the difference to some extent instantly, then I become very skeptical about it. True, there is always some time needed to adjust to new things. Nonetheless, throughout the years I learned that there is at least some significant change right up front, otherwise, there's nothing there worth mentioning.

As with my prior experience with the LessLoss Firewall, I felt that the change upon introducing the Blackbody was in the same league. The effect was perhaps not as immediately strong as with the Firewall, but my findings were the same. It seems that somehow the very DNA of the designer imprints itself into his products. I mean this seriously. A strong conviction gives a fixed outcome in the products released under one's unique thinking and manufacturing. Otherwise wouldn't world would be a void place...?

The real change that the Blackbody brought forth was evident within a few moments. It was an instant reminder of LessLoss's recognizable clarity and focus.

The effect varied and depended on the distance and (not a surprise) on what kind of component was under influence. With the combination of Lampizator Level 4 DAC I could experience a more lively impact, than for example with Mactone MH-300B or Lamm LL2 preamplifier. The performance of the Burson Soloist was also elevated.

Somehow the LessLoss Blackbody brings about so-called "blacker than black" backgrounds. The sense and pace and of atmosphere surrounding the music adopted an even more coherent believability at moments. Note: this is not a simple "plug & play" addition. For the Blackbody, you’ll need to put time and effort into the best placement. Not only this, you might even need to make more room for these black passive devices. Their most desirable range can go beyond 15 centimeters and some populated audio racks don't allow this much spacing.

I wouldn't call the Blackbody a "tweaking" device like footers, resonance dampers, etc. While in their basic role they might easily be thrown into the same camp, the LessLoss Blackbody still acts as a different beast altogether. Discovering the workings of the BlackBody did not only depend on its positioning. There seemed to be a relation to its “massiveness” as well.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 11, 2013

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Khablam posted:

Herein lies the problem with the audiophile community - you could literally write complete nonsense based on nothing but compounded nonsense linked to pseudoscience, and it would legitimately be the same as everything they claim works.

[audiophile]I mean, there's no evidence "fluffing" does anything .. but have you listened to Test disk #864 through it?
I have, over several days I can tell you there's more room for floating bass and crisper transitions in the highs. Overall the music resonates a deeper yet calmer emotional palette.
[/audiophile]

I enjoy the fact that even though it's been around for a decade there's people who can't tell that Machina Dynamica is a piss take [a piss take who will send you a jar of air or a ziplock of pebbles if you are dumb enough to buy them].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Supposedly The Chemical Brothers' entire first album was recorded off microphones picking up the music played back through vintage guitar amps. Nowadays there's a plug-in for that but I always thought that was hilarious [if true].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ethanfr0me posted:

Is the high end audio industry growing with rampant increases in wealth inequality or was it hit hard by the recession? I have a friend who is interviewing with a botique gear distributor and I can't decide whether to tell him its a silly industry or to take those suckers all the way to the bank.
There seems to be about the same number of stores around here in SF as 10 years ago but there's also been a lot of money coming into town. One big difference is that they all carry stuff like Sonos and Audioengine which would have been unthinkable a few years ago. It seems like less emphasis on cables/accessories/tweaks as well, just more expensive components and speakers. Weird niche brands like Harbeth and Magico seem to be cropping up more as well.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got two Play 1s for my bedroom and they're great. Sonos stuff is not cheap but the setup is miles simpler than any comparable product I've used [I had three generations of Squeezeboxes]. It's the first actual easy streaming system I've ever used.

The Connect is overpriced given that a $200 Play 1 has all the same stuff and a speaker but they know that people who need that functionality will pay more. in fact, sometimes people will distrust things if they're too cheap, Slim Devices made a $2000 "audiophile" Squeezebox and it actually sold OK despite the fact that the $300 already one had bit-perfect output.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cremnob posted:

post the audio sperg reactions to apple buying beats itt

I don't see why there would be, both brands are considered mass market junk by audiophiles.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fun fact: Apple originally had to license "macintosh" from McIntosh but they bought the trademark in the '90s. I don't think that's too far out of the realm of possibility, but B&W seems like a better fit for Apple. A lot of high-end brands are owned by random holding companies right now, Naim/Focal just got sold:

quote:

F&N's management team, led by CEO Christophe Sicaud, invested alongside the GP consortium. Naxicap has acquired a majority stake in the company.
The company, which was formed through the 2011 merger of Focal-JMLab and Naim Audio, will be renamed Vervent Audio Group following the secondary buyout. After the merger the two companies remained as independent brands under the Focal & Co holding company.
CM-CIC (then CIC Banque de Vizille) acquired a 20% stake in Focal in 2000, according to unquote" data. In February 2008, the firm increased its stake to 48% in a deal that saw Focal founder Mahul's stake decrease from 75% to 47%.
At the time, management retained the remaining 5% shareholding in the company. LCL, Lyonnaise de Banque and Banque Populaire Loire & Lyonnais provided a senior debt package of €9.5m for the deal.
a $150k Naim/Audio Physic demo system is still the best sounding one I've ever heard in my life

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Spotify is a giant hole that their investors keep throwing money into [over $200 million to date], my understanding is that Pandora is the only streaming service that's even close to profitable and they're one more license fee bump away from insolvency.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's internet radio but with blue VU meters!!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

longview posted:

Audiophile mockery be damned, cheap RCA and TRS cables can gently caress right off.
I'm not sure I've ever seen one last more than a few months before at least one conductor was unreliable, if I find one I just assume it's broken because it usually is.

The thing is that professional-quality cables cost like $20 and not $17,000. Your average home theater owner is going to unplug and re-plug what, maybe once a year?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been using a mac mini as a music server for years, I can't believe I never thought to try it with a $3000 katana power cable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Atmos looks sweet but it seems like a half step to me since it just adds "sound objects" to the existing "flat" surround format. A true [IMO] next-generation system would be 100% sound objects and adapt itself to your setup. As it is for home atmos unless you got lucky with your previous purchases it's not really going to match up sonically anyway, especially those upward-firing "bounce" speakers.

That said if I was building a system from scratch and had a dedicated room I'd probably do it but I think most people would do better just buying better amps, speakers and/or subs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ethanfr0me posted:

Anyone else working the Venetian at CES this year? Day 5 and I'm about ready to kill myself. If someone asks me to play a record with "lots of transience" one more time I think I'm gonna crack.

this is my favorite audiophile CES product

quote:

D'Agostino has announced the launch of MLife, a new integrated amplifier that builds on the design of its Momentum amplifier by adding in streaming capabilities including Bluetooth and AirPlay.
MLife makes use of the same amplifier and preamplifier circuits you'll find in the Momentum, but one noticeable difference on the exterior is the lack of tone controls, replaced by a 5in LCD display.

Not only that, but D'Agostino has developed an Android and iOS app that'll let you stream music to it via Apple AirPlay and aptX Bluetooth. You can also use the wireless connection with computers. In addition to its streaming capabilities from your mobile or computer, the MLife has built-in access to vTuner internet radio stations and Tidal's new lossless music streaming service is also available. MLife's amplifier section delivers 200W per channel into 8 Ohms, with the power supply located in its own aluminium enclosure. All analogue circuit boards are built using through-hole construction. The MLife integrated amplifier is expected to go on sale in March with its eye-watering $48,000 price tag.

for 48 grand you could get a serious system from even some of the companies we make fun of in this thread

hell you could get a system with a streaming interface, amp and a record player for that much and still be way in the realm of esoterica

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in case you were wondering even the people making the pono don't think high resolution music sounds any better but they're happy to make an ancient probably going deaf old man's vision come to fruition
http://nypost.com/2015/01/11/do-consumers-really-care-about-digital-quality/
there's of course argument like this highly impartial take on things:

quote:

“Of course hi-res files are better,” says David Chesky, a New York-based composer and digital recording pioneer who is also CEO of HDTracks, an online distributor of hi-res music. “You run into problems when you downsample (a hi-res file to CD-quality) … it gets grungier and closed in. It sounds like your 14-foot ceiling came down to 8 feet.”.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Khablam posted:

(it's a £9k squeezebox with added audiophile adjectives, that runs on batteries)
Which is funny because the squeezebox guys made the absolute best quality thing they could and it ended up "only" costing 2 grand. I remember reading their forums when the first ones came out and people started talking about modding them and the guys that worked there didn't get why you'd need a new power supply when the one they had didn't introduce any noise anyway.

I admit if I was building a fancy system I'd want something like this though just to look nicer than a sonos play.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bought my sonos form a hifi shop and when I was paying for it I casually said "too bad the play is so expensive given that this speaker has all the same stuff in it and a speaker" and the guy ringing me up didn't get it and looked at me like I was crazy.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The problem to me with this high resolution trend is that it's just going to convince even more people that anyone recommending anything better than spotify played via bluetooth on a Beats Pill is a crazy person, and this time it's the audiophiles playing reductio ad absurdum by intentionally claiming all "compressed" music [even lossless] is compromised.

People come over to my apartment and they like my [modest] sound system and when I tell them they could get 95% of the way there for a few hundred dollars they look interested until I mention that I'm not talking about a soundbar or some other single box solution. I think people are so burned out on technology that anything that isn't molded plastic with a "go" button just gets dismissed as lame dad gear. At least Sonos seems to have some interest in their stuff sounding good [if not particularly "accurate"] and the experience of setting it up and using it is fantastic. I feel like that by making all of these absurd claims these audio companies are just focusing on the dad gear end of the market because they know they'll actually buy stuff and it's pushing out other people who could get into good audio but just look at the whole scene and go "ugh."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jhcain posted:

Hmm. I guess this will be amusing:

That's probably a nice sounding system but the fact that you're both concerned with having a super nice DAC and using tube amps seems odd to me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Just a note, the Squeezebox Touch actually has a pretty good DAC

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's hidden somewhere in the wayback machine but there's some guys that took an official Dolby digital analyzer [like a $300k piece of equipment] and did a bunch of digital coax cable tests including using a wire hanger and they all passed 100%. It's like jitter, network dropouts and other things audiophiles like to spend tens of thousands of dollars to solve, if there's something wrong you'll notice right away.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

and coating the cones with asphalt to absorb "unwanted energy build up."

:psyduck:

BRB filing a patent for a concrete-driver speaker. [sensitivity 0.4dB at 1 meter}

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The BeoLab 19 is the coolest looking overpriced subwoofer.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Audiophile reviewers always must listen to some kind of female vocalist [jazz or Latin, take your pick], at least one dadrock band and one rock band that someone that old would consider "modern" like Coldplay, Radiohead or Cake. You'd think if they actually were trying to get a good comparison they'd listen to the same "test suite" every time but then they wouldn't be able to show off their cool musical taste.

My favorite speaker shopping song is the long version of "The Box" by Orbital, I've listened to it a million times and it has pretty much every kind of sound in it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pricing and functionality wise this isn't that terrible of a product but one part of it jumped out at me:

quote:

Designer McGowan was adamant the cold, non-interactive nature of remote controls would not be part of Sprout. Instead, a precision human interface was chosen for the front panel: a stepped tactile volume control and input selector mechanism provide both feedback and a connection to the device itself.
I'm constantly wishing I had to get up and walk to my amp to use it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beaten to knobfeel :mad:

e: There's definitely something to these companies trying to make digital gear feel "analog-y," since the kinds of people to whom an $800 t-amp looks affordable really, really like analog stuff.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 15, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AudioQuest has a new solution to USB ghosts that can haunt your cables and interfere with your bits

quote:

it is expanding the range with the creation of the AudioQuest Jitterbug - an advanced USB line and data conditioner
The Jitterbug is designed to remove "unwanted noise and parasitic resonances that plague USB ports, while reducing or completely eliminating packet errors within the data stream", the company claims. It slots between the USB port on your computer and the DragonFly DAC/headphone amp. You can see what's inside the Jitterbug in our photo of the pre-production prototype below

I know this is pretty par for the course but how can it claim to "eliminate errors" in a bitstream with arbitrary values :psyduck:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

taqueso posted:

Looks to be only passive components, so it won't be replacing any values.

Well yeah, my question is how is this not just blatantly false advertising compared to the usual audiophile hand-waving. Like the thing can't actually eliminate any errors and honestly it's probably more likely to introduce them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

High Resolution Audio: Everything you need to know

quote:

These sites use compressed file formats with relatively and low bitrates, such as 256kbps AAC files on iTunes and 320kbps MP3 streams on Spotify.

quote:

The more bits there are meanwhile, the more accurately the signal can be measured in the first place, so 16-bit to 24-bit can see a noticeable leap in quality.

quote:

With more information to play with, high-resolution audio tends to boast greater detail and texture, bringing listeners closer to the original performance.
here's the part where they troll their own readers

quote:

As with all the products we review, if you can't see or hear a difference, then save your money...
This is particularly genius because audiophiles are completely convinced of their superior hearing so of course they'll be able to tell the difference.

Some gold in the comments too:

quote:

Nyquist was not a Musician.

quote:

What a lot of tecnical bla, bla,bla from arrogant prigs who are telling me what I can hear and what not........My only reference are my ears, and believe it or not, I hear the difference!

If you don't here it, sorry for you but please find another hobby.........and let me enjoy HIFI!!

Also their top recommended streamer [$3000] looks like an '80s car stereo had a baby with a Creative Nomad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BANME.sh posted:

Being skeptical of things you don't understand is fine. What is stupid is when you remain skeptical despite large amounts of evidence in front of you.

There's research findings that suggest that being shown evidence to the contrary tends to galvanize strongly held beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My new subwoofer enclosure is almost complete, yesss