Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Has Class D amps made Class A/B completely obsolete for audio? I find it exceedingly hard to believe the claims that A/B sounds different/better than D in a DBT when all of them are competently designed for transparency and working within normal parameters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Khablam posted:

The site itself is right in a Poe's Law Valley of "wilful conartist or audifool?" because it manages to juxtapose terms that disprove their product is even needed.

They list a benefit of ethernet as "bit-perfect communication" -- but then start saying how theirs is better because

"Extremely high-purity Perfect-Surface Silver minimizes distortion caused by the grain boundaries"

"eliminating harshness and greatly increasing clarity"

Bonus: creative understanding of what a conductor is

Remember also that audio cables are directional in audiophile land:

And what does their box with a light do?

* - please don't consider the logic of whether your $30 router could possibly be a weak-point in your setup, we haven't made an audiophile router yet.

Science is pathetic, man. It brought us lousy crap like 2+ billion transistor consumer CPUs, 40+ terabit transoceanic submarine optic fibers, mercury analyzers that can detect mercury down to 0.000,000,0001% but it can't give us the correct basic signaling theory for audio applications. gently caress science.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I am wondering with the sick of amount money these audiophiles invested into their setups even comes close in sound quality to a pair of JBL M2 Master Reference Monitors at $20K with bundled free amps.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KozmoNaut posted:

That's not to say that serious pro audio can't be super expensive, too:

The cost of just the speakers in that setup is around $105,000, never mind the probably insane price for that mixing desk. I'm sure it sounds better than any audiophile setup ever, though. And it's not over half a million dollars like those Living Voice monstrosities.

Other than edge cases like that, I noticed pro-audio monitors tend to be very reasonably priced for the level of sound quality for some weird reason.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Knifegrab posted:

If I could push my budget a tiny bit above 50 would you have a different recommendation or would it still be these?

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Xiao...xiaomi+piston+2

This rules from first hand experience.

Combat Pretzel posted:

:psypop:

Jesus Christ, no words for this. I hope that idiot doesn't have a job in a remotely scientific field.

You gotta love DBT haters and their hilarious arguments against DBTs:

1. Attack the methodology, crappily - DBTs due to inherent real-life limitations is less reliable then their own sighted judgement "because a DBT can't be perfect"

2. Claims an obvious difference in sound with X product, while putting the burden of proof on skeptics who says it's bullshit.

I strongly suspect why they hate the idea of blind testing so much is that deep down at some level they know they will be proven wrong conclusively and their worldview will no longer hold water like religious fanatics.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 27, 2015

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BigFactory posted:

That's really stupid.

Has there ever been even the slightest proof of clean power vs dirty power or whatever?

If "dirty" power was such a huge issue our major swaths of our civilization would probably won't work, including those chem lab spectrometers that can reliably detect stuff into the parts per billion/trillion range.

KozmoNaut posted:

No, because gently caress giving money to scammers.

"How do you know it isn't better if you can't afford it?" :smuggo:

Ok, lets give them the benefit of doubt and they have hyperbolic measurements of 0.0000000000000000000000001% THD+N/IMD, 1000 dB of SNR etc. Sounds good until the fact that those specs are going to be dwarfed by the innate distortion and the non-flat frequency response of the best of the best of speakers by orders of magnitudes. "BUT I CAN HEAR THE DIFFERENCE" -golden ears type ODing on placebo pills

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KozmoNaut posted:

"And let's not say about the claim from Ayre themselves saying it's 80-90% as good as their $20,000 amp."

"as good as their $20,000 amp."

"$20,000 amp."

:psyboom:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Chill Callahan posted:

Somewhat related to the discussion going on, a bunch of audio manufacturers chime in on whether or not measurements can accurately predict the sound of a component: http://www.herronaudio.com/images/Measurements.pdf

I thought it was an interesting read.

tl:dr, but I fail to see how one can remotely argue against that objective measurements can't be used to judge sound quality.

For a long time video card benchmarks are only posted as min/max/average frame rates, yet people started to feel that X model feels jerkier or sluggish than Y model despite having similar frame rates, the subjective differences are later confirmed by a new measurements of frame-time analysis.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BANME.sh posted:

In that Dave Grohl documentary Sound City, Neil Young actually said on camera that the people who made up the digital sampling process made a mistake, so all digital recordings since then are inherently flawed. Of course he didn't actually go into any details of how or why.

And his recent campaign against the Canadian oil sands comes off as incredibly contrived. Whether he has a valid point or not, he is falling into the musician-activist cliche perfectly and makes him look like a massive idiot.

Neil Young is bad and not good.

Ahaha, maybe he should check how bad the distortion is for a top-end studio mic versus an evil run-of-the-mill ADC/DAC.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

NihilismNow posted:

The best tube amp is still the AOpen AX4B.
A motherboard with a built in tube amp. So your fully digitally source can be amplified by analogue means in probably the most RF noisy place in your house.

For some reason it never caught on.

In addition to RF noise, imagine the tube microphonics with the 3+ fans, a spinning HDD and an optical drive in a typical PC. What can possibly go wrong?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
If you looking for useful info or reviews other than on cheapo gear on Head-Fi, you are at the wrong place.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KozmoNaut posted:

High voltage won't do anything, apart from being a major safety hazard.

To really warm up the sound, you need amperage, and lots of it. Normal 18AWG lamp cord is rated to carry 13A, and thicker cable will obviously be able to carry more.

I figure you should start out with a "low burn" at 20A, just to get things going. Then increase gradually in steps of 5A until your house burns down sufficient warmth has been achieved.

And it has to be DC, because that actually makes electrons flow in one direction. AC would just make them oscillate in the same position which makes the soundstage static.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I bought the Sansa Clip+ as a reference DAC.

poo poo, I'm getting the audiophile bug.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Nintendo Kid posted:

Remember when Audiophiles used to argue about what was the best quality CD-Rs?

"My favorites: Maxell 80 Minute Pro (blue) for solid robust low end, detail and clean immediacy; Maxell Music 80 minute gold for a balanced hight-to-mid-to-bottom and wide sparkle; Fuji 80 Minute Audio for a wetter sound (smoothes out the edges). Memorex Music 80 minutes is very nice, Taiyo Yuden 700 MB are close, the Mitsui and BASF are in there, Sony could be better..."

I know yellow SATA cables make data transfer faster, and black PCBs are for a blacker background in music.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

88h88 posted:

...did they ever take the packaging off?

Also an hour to cable up some speakers is brilliant.

I not sure whether that site is the most elaborate troll of all time or they are actually sincere about what they do.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BigFactory posted:

That's so stupid.

So it's like RAID 1 except the main drive always gets corrupted while the secondary is always pristine...Somehow.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Sony unveils 64GB microSD card “for Premium Sound” (for $155)

http://blog.gsmarena.com/sony-unveils-64gb-microsd-card-premium-sound/

As usual, the "how do you know it won't make a difference" placebophile comments.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

grack posted:

I met someone IRL last week who actually believes this. It should be legal to slap audiophiles when they start spouting crap.

Did you ask what he thinks the billion other things that could possibly affect the sound that also deserves the same treatment too? E.g PCB traces, caps, inductors, room temperature, air humidity and pressure, elemental composition of air, ground cables, ear wax accumulation, germs in room, heatsink material, insulation material/resistance of cables, magnetic and electric fields in room, RF/IR/ionizing radiation...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Burnt in using 1000 watt kettle. Maintained AC directionality by marking plug ends.. Cryogenically treated by leaving it out in the Tasmanian winter for 3 years. After extensive sighted listening tests, the blue and brown conductors have been noted to maintain cleaner mids and extensive pace, rhythm and timing.

This is pretty much the ultimate in speaker wire.

Also, consider this: http://www.stereophile.com/thinkpieces/021708swiftboat/

Too bad all that wiring inside the equipment didn't go through the same treatment though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

LifeSizePotato posted:

Agreed.

While I'm here, I don't know if this is totally ignorant but: wouldn't the easiest way to test a system be to put a couple high quality mics/sound recorders right at the position of your ears in your listening room, play a track, and then compare the hi-fi recording's waveform to the one that started out in the system? I doubt it would ever be a 100% match just due to acoustics but if they're going for absolute fidelity, and feeling like you're right there next to Roger Waters and Syd Barret in the studio, it seems to this know-nothing layman like that would be the scientific way to approach it?

You don't understand, we have the capability to make 14nm CPUs, 40 terabits/s fiber optics across the Atlantic but not audio testing equipment that are objectively better than our ears.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BigFactory posted:

He's half right. Audiophiles are bad but goons are bad too.

In PC hardware analogy, a Behringer UCA202 DAC would be akin to Nvidia selling a GTX Titan X SLI for the price of a 8GB USB flashdrive which will be shunned by our game-o-philes who would rather be discussing to death about whether their $10,000 VGA cables makes any difference to the FPS on their lovely 1024x768 TN LCD screens when playing Doom 1.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

I hope they never have to use Winrar/Winzip or installing apps on anything again because IMPEFEXTC COMPREZION?

baka kaba posted:

This means the more people try to tell you magical audiophile gear is bullshit, the more amazing it sounds. An industry that exists to be called out, and to feed on it. The more ridiculous you go, the greater the potential rewards!

*Quotes study about how absolutely NO ONE was able to hear to detect a hidden 44/16 DAC/ADC pair degrading the audio chain for SACD playback in a 1-year period*

"Of course, they don't have the *~*golden ears*~* like I do!"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

You know, for a $3000 slab of junk, they might want to put in a screen that is at least as good as a 720p IPS LCD of a infinitely more useful device that happens to make phone calls which one can buy for like ~$120 shipped in China.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Combat Pretzel posted:

One might argue that the driver of the display may cause interferences with the audio circuit, given the high frequencies it'll run at. Then again, not a problem a piece of metal foil wouldn't fix.

Well, smartphones like iPhones and Galaxy Notes also happen to have some of the cleanest analog outputs to date, despite the magnitudes higher in engineering complexity. Like our venerable NwAvGuy once said, the notion that some guy in his basement can make a better audio device than companies having billions in resources, skill and testing equipment just because the latter uses utterly cheap parts is thoroughly absurd.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bigman.50grand posted:

"One time in the 80's I was really high on coke and listened to Sam Cooke. I've been blowing tens of thousands of dollars chasing that high ever since!"

With the kind of sick cash thrown at useless gizmos by audiophiles, they make drugs look stellar from a value of money standpoint.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Anyway, I think we rational people should avoid getting baited by placebophiles by assuming the burden of proof for their psuedoscientific claims. If you claim your $10K HDMI makes a difference to whatever quality its your job to back it up with conclusive scientific evidence, not mine.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Boiled Water posted:

I need a recommendation for a cheap dac for listening to spotify music and online radio. Something I can leave at my office desk.

http://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-dac2-hgc-digital-to-analog-audio-converter

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bigman.50grand posted:

The comments on that article are even more :psyboom:

Pot. Kettle. Black.

quote:

It certainly is easy to claim a phenomenon is bogus, when you have not researched it extensively ( as I have), or do not even have the wherewithal to study this sort of phenomenon. Its just as easy to claim there’s no other planet than earth, when you’ve never peered through a telescope, or know how to use one.

Dat strawman. :lol: Hopefully he is not a lawyer IRL.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

qirex posted:

good news, there's a review of the usb error correcting device

conclusion? it's literally magic

You see, bits of audio are fundamentally different from bits of other data.

I wonder how will audiophiles react when all their precious music and software player are stealth processed out-of-order in the CPU?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

qirex posted:

I did just realize a lot of modern subs use class D amps which are anathema to audiophiles since they undoubtedly sound like computer chips, though. Someone needs to make a tube-powered sub [assuming one doesn't inevitably already exist].

Class D amps are a perfect fit for subs because the potential problems with high frequency distortion of Class D are bypassed entirely, power efficiency is way beyond Class A or AB and the distortion of the sub transducer alone dwarfs the amp by magnitudes. Using tubes to drive subs is the most clinically retarded thing anybody can do, although the lack of basic intelligence to understand basic engineering principles is a proud trait of audiofool circles soooo...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I love the bit at the end "While the audio people have a flame war i'll be on the beach"

Ah, of course there has to be the classic rebuttal of "he didn't test a properly designed tube amp" because that couldn't possibly be a piece of grossly overpriced and underperforming POS, or the fact that it's supposed to be the vendor's responsibility to support their claims and not the other way round.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 10, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Croc Monster posted:

If you look at the sticker on the back of the thing, it says "Designed by McIntosh in the USA". Someone in one of the audiophile forums surmises this means it was actually made in China. I'm inclined to agree. Oh McIntosh, how the mighty have fallen.

McIntosh's logo IMO looks like some weird creepy hybrid cross of a Satanic cult and an energy drink, aka fugly as sin.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I betcha those semicon design engineers must be slapping themselves stupid by spending so much effort to make a perfect opamp to sell for 50 cents each when they could be out there ripping people off with a piece of lovely metal in insulation for $10K a pop.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I am disappoint. He didn't mention how good music sounds better with the Northwood Pentium 4 than the current i7 trash because of the 50% better L1 cache latency for less jitter, or how if you have to settle for modern motherboards you will have to recap all the solid caps to electrolytics. And no PWM power for any of the fans either, heck it's better just take out the CPU fan completely then Prime95 the CPU to 100C to bring out the warmth in the sound.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I read a bit into that thread and I feel Superdad and company were this close to suggesting the electrical equivalent to homeopathy as the reason for hearing the differences. It is literally a case of rounder zeroes and straighter ones.

Later on in the thread he discovers ramdisks and his head explodes.

All that attention to local computing equipment yet no one questions their ISPs' infrastructure (and by extension the rest of the whole goddamn loving Internet) in their quest for more perfect bits.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KozmoNaut posted:

Here's another fun one (Google-translated, unfortunately):

https://translate.google.com/transl...t-text=&act=url

Sure, why not use an opamp with a 2000V/μs slew rate* and a 60MHz bandwidth for a RIAA amplifier? :downs:

* A slew rate of 5V/μs is more than plenty to handle even the most dynamic signal possible, even if you're crazy enough to use 24/192 for listening.

If you ask me, it's too easy to impress laypersons with amazing sounding numbers that are technically true but ultimately makes no impact in the real world.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Not just limited to placebophiles, there's a Chinese saying of "A cent spent is an additional cent of quality received" which is great advice to subscribe to if you like getting ripped off left and right. I really don't get the logic of how people think a cheapass product is surely going to suck but others that cost hundreds or even thousands times more to do the same job will not.

"Surely the expensive stuff is better is always because the seller put more actual well thought effort into it, and never because the seller is trying to rip me off!"

Palladium fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 26, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Khablam posted:

Meant to say, excluding certain 6S models that seemed to have a noise issue. This was a genuine problem that kinda got lost underneath 'chipgate'. Yours sounds like it is one of those, because on a non-affected handset there's no noise at all.

My 6S+ 3.5mm jack has a very soft click which occurs only after the output goes silent after a few seconds, which is a complete non issue.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Collateral Damage posted:

QR codes aren't a bad technology and it's well used in automated logistics and similar. But almost every consumer application of it I've seen has been idiotic and/or pointless.

I still have no idea how to use QR codes despite using smartphones for 5 years while stuff like music, camera, messaging, browser etc are completely idiot-proof. It's paradoxically unintuitive for a semi-ubiquitous tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Panty Saluter posted:

Oh look, the Crown amp fan is automatic and only switches on under high load :getin:

I'm sure there will be some amps with poorly thought out fan designs but if I ever find the need to put 1KW of sound in my home the last thing I would worry about is fan noise.