Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ok Comboomer posted:

I used to think that having a website that looks like it was made by a single amateur in 2001 was simply a quirk, an artifact of the kinds of dudes running these scams and making audiophool snake oil products, but now I’m starting to think that it serves a deliberate screening purpose much like how “Nigerian Prince” scams are worded in a manner that would alienate 99.99% of readers in order to select for the teeny tiny percentage of most receptive marks.

Because to anybody under the age of 60, and/or who isn’t completely brain-addled, any company that purports to be a legitimate, high-technical business staffed with engineers and experts making high end equipment that beats or competes with the best that the heavy hitters in the industry can produce and also has their product website look like it was made in a template downloaded from a geocities page is like a ground floor-level red flag

Like the world’s most basic Squarespace page looks more professional

A lot of this is so that places that are still running machines from 20 years ago can order unencumbered. Places like US military contractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
So you’re right about it specializing in serving the most gullible, but it’s not a direct relationship

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

It looks like a unity store dystopian building

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

imagine paying $10 grand for a DAC with goddamn Papyrus embossed on the front

imagine spending $10 grand and not even getting Papyrus embossed on the front

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

You don’t have to imagine, that’s a relief

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

evobatman posted:

and if these systems did anything different you would notice it.

Big if there

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

strtj posted:

There is something to be said for hearing the same track over and over on these reference systems, and obviously for different reviewers it's different tracks, but of course it's settled down on tracks for dudes to listen to while they imagine themselves in a "fancy" place being personally entertained by the sultriest vocalist they can find performing for them "personally"

I’m not one to kinkshame but this is the weirdest kink convention I’ve ever heard of

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Palladium posted:

i also remembered seeing a $20K soundbar that claims to go down to 20Hz without a sub

9 yard wide 1 yard deep soundbar?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Figured out what it reminds me of

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mederlock posted:

The forbidden power of the QR Code

Quality Refreshment code

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Username/post combination checks out.

PM me if you want to beta test for me. I'll only charge $420.69 each plus shipping.

What does John Cena have to do with coasters?

Also don’t buy this knockoff, I sell one for $80081.35 which is obviously better than anything at that sub five-diggie price

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

literally some site selling the perfect sommelier posted:

The Perfect Sommelier “improves” virtually any wine in less than 30 minutes

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Quotes theirs

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

an update on this is that apparently some audiophiles think 100mbps switches sound better because gigabit switches need more powerful processors, which introduce more noise into the signal chain or something, which is just to say that the "sell old network hubs to audiophiles" thing would totally work

Token ring gives a warmer sound

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Look at a headphone splitter
Now look at a hub and spoke network

They’re the same thing, and they do the same thing to your sound

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Palladium posted:

im more amazed its still possible to get a purely 10mbps one

Same

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Finally I can hate the Eagles at the appropriate fidelity

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

:nws:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I love Tom's

quote:

Without a review sample, we can’t completely dismiss all of the product listing claims regarding this cable’s Hi-Fi qualities. However, the maker has missed some obvious optimizations, as the design omits any reference to using precious metals or oxygen-free conductors.

If you like this audiophile Superstar Crystal Formula SATA SSD cable, you might also find the audiophile SSD, and the similarly targeted Ethernet Switch UEF appealing. Please be warned that all these products include a substantial audiophile tax.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Humphreys posted:

I love this channel but some of this stuff is creeping into audiophile territory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPYnqogJC5Q

He’s been dangling a whole foot in that territory since either the DAC or the Meze video, both of which were over a year ago

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Humphreys posted:

The extra LOL is that it has NEC TOKIN capacitors on it. Ie quite well known by PS3 modders to be a somewhat frequent cause of failure in original PS3s

Lol what were they tokin

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

doingitwrong posted:

I did a search and I don’t think this thread has had as chance to admire the pure strain intensity of Audiophile.Rocks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrtmP-AsBg

From the Bad With Money thread.

Have we really not discussed audiophile rocks? best part of those is the unshielded lengths

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

bigman.50grand posted:

Is charging pre-owned JO crystals gay? Asking for a friend.

It is unless you put it in my no-gay crystal pouch when charging.

$500.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

an AOL chatroom posted:

Hi, I don't know what peat means in the context of audio, can someone explain?

oaky but grassier

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

wolrah posted:

Sorry you aren't able to experience pure audible joy. Having just the right amount of poopy butt helps you perceive the quantum fluctuations you only get to experience on the most expensive of systems. The true essence of the sound captured by a 768kHz sampling rate interact with the smell particles wafting up from your crack give the music an amazing texture that fondles your earballs in ways you've never imagined.

Sounds muddy

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

stealie72 posted:

Also, where in your soundstage is the NAS located. This is important.

It’s next to the roadies on soundstage left

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Lol what did he even do its just a Sondek LP12

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

njsykora posted:

As we said when mocking this in the Apple YOSPOS thread, it can't be Ive approved it has 2 LEDs on. That's way too much information to put on a single button.

It could be like a home pod where they’re both for show and provide no information

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Packet noise

Only audio packets on audio network

Beautiful. A+. Anyone who knows anything is immediately turned off and you’ve found a group who will believe whatever you say and distrust…big Cisco?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

tater_salad posted:

You don't want laser straight 1s and as close to perfect 0s to ensure a reduction in jitter and increased pleasure sense?

The good zeroes have a slanted slash in them

The good ones have a flared base

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

No, good 0s are perfectly round and good 1s are perfectly straight sans serifs. Any other types of 1s and 0s and they can get stuck together messing up your digital data

If you cant make them stick together they just wibble wobble all over the place, they need to mate

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

This is why you buy from me and not those other guys, folks

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

This is why I print my music out as raw binary and manually enter it into my player.

Can you trust the signal to your printer

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Not without my audiophile grade gold plated printer cables and ink you can’t

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

This is suspiciously cheap, I don't believe it will improve the spaciousness of my printouts.

This sounds more promising.

They’re $5000 if you want the nuts and bolts version but to really make them pop you want them with diamond in the jacket. That is charged by the inch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i always like that nobody ever explains why the cabling in your home is going to matter compared to the massive amounts of backbone transport between your house and the ISP, much of which is old as poo poo

Do you know how old the dirt that surrounds the fiber lines is?

I want to sell you new dirt. It’s more conductive.

Warning: do not use new dirt as ground.