Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CrazyLittle posted:

Has anyone tried suggesting that they listen to their devices under water? (Like in their bathtub)

You should try and convince as many audiophiles as you can to do this. Either they'll get electrocuted or possibly damage their hearing beyond reapair! Win/win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TheMadMilkman posted:

If you're going for absolute top-of-the-line, it's easy to blow past the $1,00,000 mark on a dedicated home theater, especially if you factor in design and construction. The goal is not to reproduce the theater experience, it's to outperform it in every way imaginable. If you have the money, it's worth paying to have it done right, since simple errors can really spoil the final result.

This guy definitely seems to miss the mark in a lot of regards, but I can respect the fun he's had getting to where he is. He literally has every product produced by one company over the last few years, and can easily swap pieces. I would have a ball toying with this, even though my choices in terms of which companies would definitely be different.

How many movie tickes can you get for a million dollars?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TheMadMilkman posted:

(...)What would be fun, and what I have unfortunately not had the opportunity to do, is to compare the sound of some of these top-end theaters to the mixing rooms where the soundtracks were created. That would yield a lot more insight into the value of the home theater than a comparison to your local cineplex.
Be careful now, you're moving from audiophile madness to something which might be called science.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Twiin posted:

Yeah, this seems like a cool study. Your eardrums aren't the only part of the body that might react to vibrations.

Eardrums, no, but it's essentially all inside the ear. The exception being very loud bass which you can feel as it pounds your skins and internal organs.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

82Daion posted:

Those speakers look like EPI 1000s.

Why are they so large?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

madprocess posted:

Most people can, integrated motherboard sound hardware always has an annoying buzz. You basically get rid all of that by buying a $20 sound card though, and a $20 soundcard will do 24 bit/192 kHz quality sound over the speaker port these days.

Or use your already expensive video card HDMI port. Instant sound.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

proudfoot posted:

Add that to the fact that audio quality is highly subjective, and you have the perfect recipe for snake oil salesmen.

It's just funny when said salesmen try to do the same to digital video.

Haven't we been over this a million times? Audio quality is quite easily meassured, but audiophiles are idiots. It's the uneducated pseudoscience megathread all over again.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

proudfoot posted:

I got a better idea; if audiophiles are so concerned about cable quality, why not sell them superconducting interconnects? They have a sheath around them which is filled a cryogenic coolant. And when the sheath invariably leaks, they die.

Whats the markup you can make on one of these?

Without a markup this will be very expensive. As in hilariously expensive.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

88h88 posted:

How come they always manage to ignore legit science and just run with 'magic' science like darkwaves and quantum bollocks and other such bullshit?

People who understand how digital audio works wouldn't question why copper, gold and iron make equally good leads.

I also like to think that the people who want to believe in pseudo-science are the same people who believe in creationism. The easy way out.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If you have to break-in electronic equipment wouldn't it make most sense to buy used?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I think I tried to apply sense to audiophiles.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Philthy posted:

Then you run into people who paid ungodly amounts for these software pieces who will simply say they trust their ears more than anything else. Which may be true when you're unable to pipe digital output directly into digital recording. But for this? Sorry, you wasted your money.

The only people you can trust with their ears are the ones who play an instrument. Specifically ones where you make the sounds yourself ie. brass instruments.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

This just hit me: Shouldn't live music be the only real pure form of music? Is there some exception because live concerts doesn't allow you to buy excessive amounts of really expensive electronics?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Actual A/V question incoming: Why not use fiber optic cable for both images and sound?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

They do have a tendency to have dedicated listening rooms.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You could just take a regular dac, stick it in an impressive looking box on special steel alloy stands, hook the cables up, fill the box with rocks for weight and bam!

I might go into business.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Speaker placement and reasonable amps are probably fine. For cables just use whatever you have lying around, or a coat hanger or anything conductive really.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Also digital media is apparently the devil.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If you put enough current through it I'm sure.

The question is if you'll burn the card before detecting jitter.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

A double blind study would actually be if a trained panel would be able to tell two different sound systems (or headphones or whatever) apart with any statistical certainty. And by trained I mean trained like a taste tasting panel is: Accurately being able to explain sensory input.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Also make no sense.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

In a twist of irony they probably write it off as hocus pocus.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You can hear when usb devices have been used in the editing equipment. Only PS2 mice give the pure soundstage you want.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

"High-end audiophiles."

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Or people who don't like ipods.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

fart simpson posted:

A nice speaker system in a nice room is better than headphones.

But several magnitudes larger and expensive.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LifeSizePotato posted:

I think these guys think that cables are carrying literal sound waves inside them, like water in pipes.

Which is interesting in that it's not how either works.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Good news: That's not how chemistry works. Luckily, or the top layer of all oceans and bodies of water would be hydrogen peroxide. On a related note: Your tap water is oxygenated :v: .

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I need a recommendation for a cheap dac for listening to spotify music and online radio. Something I can leave at my office desk.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I use a pair of headphones I bought for 500 DKK ($100). They sound perfect to me except for a weird high pitch on the left side.

I also play in a big band.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What kind of pseudoscience would lead you to "cheap plastic gaming console is greatest CD player"?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I don't, hence the question.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

88h88 posted:

Has anyone ever done a double blind test where both A and B have been the same cabling? Like gently caress even changing them, just play passages of music multiple times through the cheap poo poo and have a set of expensive cables sat about unplugged, see what they say.

Luckily yes. Test showed the testers couldn't tell the difference between expensive cables and wires from a coat hanger.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Croc Monster posted:

(...) but it's like listening to a bunch of cranky old wine tasters...

If audio equipment is anything like wine then you're better off getting whatever you like or the second cheapest.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

But very handy as a self defense tool.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

B&O had their awful moment in the sun when their 100k DKK television turned out to have a very cheap samsung panel in it. We're talking a panel when put into a TV for normals having a price tag of around 2% of the B&O model.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Reminds me of this: http://m.imgur.com/gallery/NAQy1nK

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I read a bit into that thread and I feel Superdad and company were this close to suggesting the electrical equivalent to homeopathy as the reason for hearing the differences. It is literally a case of rounder zeroes and straighter ones.

Later on in the thread he discovers ramdisks and his head explodes.

Can you listen to music calculated with double precision? This would literally give you rounder zeroes and more accurate ones.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It also takes albums which you want to listen to back to back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

88h88 posted:

I used to work for them so I've seen and worked on virtually everything they did up until 2010 :v:

Some questionable looking things in that line up for sure, a lot of the modern looking stuff looks that way for a reason whether you like the way it looks or not. I'm definitely more of a fan of the audio systems from the era of the above turntable and I stillllllllllll need to stack some cash and buy a pair of these;

Where are the planes?