Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

flosofl posted:

I've got an older Dennon receiver/amp that I set up that way with a 5.1 system and it let me set 3 or four listening spots. Made a massive difference over using the old earballs.

When I set mine up and it asked me for a 2nd spot, my first reaction was "What? No! I paid for the bloody thing, everyone else can just deal". God I hate the noise those setups make too (but yes, much easier than doing it by hand)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Unity Gain posted:

I actually want speakers, and listened to a bunch from $500-$2,500. Was happiest with B&W 685 S2 (around $700-$800 for the pair) because they had very nice mids and a more subdued treble. The more expensive speakers were more "resolving" and "detailed" but I really am not a fan of sharp treble.

So yeah, I'm dying to hear how the amp sounds. I'll probably get the speakers before the summer is out but :effort:.

A lot of audiophile speakers have very pronounced treble, to make them "clearer" sounding, especially to dudes in their 50s and 60s with high frequency hearing loss, money to spend, and an irrational fear of tone controls and EQ.

Hopefully your amp will sound like nothing at all, if a solid state amp does anything other than linearly amplify the input signal with no coloring, it's defective by definition.

And man, I have never understood the fascination with McIntosh gear. It's hideous, way too busy looking IMO.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 13, 2016

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

KozmoNaut posted:

A lot of audiophile speakers have very pronounced treble, to make them "clearer" sounding, especially to dudes in their 50s and 60s with high frequency hearing loss, money to spend, and an irrational fear of tone controls and EQ.

Hopefully your amp will sound like nothing at all, if a solid state amp does anything other than linearly amplify the input stall with no coloring, it's defective by definition.

And man, I have never understood the fascination with McIntosh gear. It's hideous, way too busy looking IMO.

Yeah I don't get why people want amps to sound like something they are literally just a way to increase volume and any coloration added is a defect

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:lol: the Danish hifi forum ("Hifi4All") with the insaniac admin that I wrote about two loving years ago has just gone on a reporting spree on the Danish Trustpilot site, accusing every single negative review of his site of "personal attacks". I trust Trustpilot (lol) to act accordingly :allears:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unity Gain posted:

Ooooh sorry. I actually got it a few months ago, so it's already set up:

No, I can't hear things in the music I never heard before, but everything certainly sounds good! No it's not "the best sounding" gear anywhere ever, and I am very well aware that I paid a hefty premium for pretty meters and the McIntosh name. But I do very much like the sound, having auditioned tons of stuff before pulling the trigger. I haven't splurged on myself in well over a decade, and I am well aware that the purchase was driven more by psychology than audio engineering. That said, the setup makes me happy and I enjoy both looking at it and listening to it, and it's nice to have some happiness in my life again :unsmith:

I run a few other things into it, and the cables are all bog standard off-the-shelf.

Your Mac is a piece of poo poo but I repeat myself.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
I got a $600 amp free because Amazon couldn't label their stock correctly

Asus makes good amps and DACs as you'd expect from a motherboard maker, they have to deal with far tougher signals regularly

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

:lol: the Danish hifi forum ("Hifi4All") with the insaniac admin that I wrote about two loving years ago has just gone on a reporting spree on the Danish Trustpilot site, accusing every single negative review of his site of "personal attacks". I trust Trustpilot (lol) to act accordingly :allears:

Further proof that audiophiles all have deep-seated mental issues.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Jerry Cotton posted:

Your Mac is a piece of poo poo but I repeat myself.

You missed a perfectly good opportunity to say CrapIntosh :laugh:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I like how vintage mac amps look :downs:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I dunno, I partially agree with KozmoNaut in that some McIntosh gear is hideous, viz.

But yeah, I like the looks of some of their boxier older stuff, and I'm a fan of their current design aesthetic --the turntables are :swoon:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Unity Gain posted:

But yeah, I like the looks of some of their boxier older stuff, and I'm a fan of their current design aesthetic --the turntables are :swoon:

I think "tacky" is the best word to describe McIntosh gear.

Also :lol: at the platter speed indicator.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Sorry, I like it. Yes, the platter speed meter is silly.

e: then again, this is my current turntable (not my photo):

Believe it or not, it's possible to like many different styles (and sound signatures) at once!

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 13, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

B&O design is straight up baller though. Clean, uncomplicated, stylish...

Mac stuff is cool but not on the same level in any manner (except price I guess)

If you like it though, all good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I just love those ultra-thin tone arms, so loving sleek.

And "uncomplicated" only lasts until you have to take it apart to fix something.

And hey, I'm not judging anyone for liking McIntosh gear. It would just be extremely out of place at my place, that's all.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
e: answer applies to both posters above.

Well yes, I agree, having had B&O gear in the family since the 70s and up to today. But I know some people who consider their designs delicate, fussy, and finicky, and sometimes even downright goofy (have you seen some of their speakers?)

There's rarely a right or wrong when it comes to aesthetics, and Danish Modern certainly isn't the end-all of form and function.

e2: I'm not taking offense (or should I say offence for KozmoNaut) at any of the posts here. I know what I posted and where I posted it, and I'm enjoying the conversation as always.

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 13, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think it's probably just one of the US/Euro things. To me, McIntosh gear is quintessentially American: Bold, brash and flashy. Whereas I prefer a more "subdued" look, perhaps?

For example, I love the industrial design that companies like NAD and Yamaha have, that a lot of people seem to find dull or boring.

(I loathe those blue LEDs, BTW. But I have learned to live with them)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 13, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Unity Gain posted:

(have you seen some of their speakers?)

I used to work for them so I've seen and worked on virtually everything they did up until 2010 :v:

Some questionable looking things in that line up for sure, a lot of the modern looking stuff looks that way for a reason whether you like the way it looks or not. I'm definitely more of a fan of the audio systems from the era of the above turntable and I stillllllllllll need to stack some cash and buy a pair of these;

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

I think "tacky" is the best word to describe McIntosh gear.

Also :lol: at the platter speed indicator.

Nice tortilla holder you've got there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I worked at B&O (in Struer) until 2007 :v:

Oh yeah, a Beosystem 7000 in proper 1980s white on white with a set of Beolab Pentas would be one hell of a setup, both from a quality and an aesthetic point of view.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh yeah, a Beosystem 7000 in proper 1980s white on white with a set of Beolab Pentas would be one hell of a setup, both from a quality and an aesthetic point of view.

I recall Pentas came in polished aluminium and a real nice flat grey. A set sprayed up in matching white with say a red vertical stripe would be super 80s.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
You guys who worked at B&O, soooo jealous! Yes, I realize that many of the speaker designs were/are technically driven.

At the end of the day, they're pretty much my favorite audio company (love my H6 headphones), so really I'm "on your side".

My receiver back-when was an NAD , and come to think of it, I've actually had more "Euro" and "Euro style" gear over the years than "American". The McIntosh is new, and is the only Mc piece I've ever owned or plan on getting. It was just the right thing at the right time for a number of reasons, and in a way was so un-me, that I think that's what drove me to post here, as if almost to laugh at myself.

But yeah, every so often I go up on ebay and look at mid-70 to late-80s B&O stuff and just sigh.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

We cool, don't worry :v:

Enjoy your kit, don't matter what anyone else thinks.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

88h88 posted:

I used to work for them so I've seen and worked on virtually everything they did up until 2010 :v:

Some questionable looking things in that line up for sure, a lot of the modern looking stuff looks that way for a reason whether you like the way it looks or not. I'm definitely more of a fan of the audio systems from the era of the above turntable and I stillllllllllll need to stack some cash and buy a pair of these;

Where are the planes?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Envy me!

I picked this up at 11:30 last night, so haven't had time to set it up in a pretty way to take nice pics yet, but on the right you can see my white Redline 60.2s and standing right behind it is a white chassis MX7000.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:argh:

Did you get the turntable, too?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

:argh:

Did you get the turntable, too?

No, but I have a TX-2 sitting which needs a new MMC needle, and I have a lead on a second steel grey 7000 system which has a turntable with an unspecified problem.

I currently have four pretty big B&O systems and my regular 5.1 Sony home cinema system in our 50 sqm flat with no extra storage, so I have to sell off some poo poo before I get any more.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

88h88 posted:

KozmoNaut posted:

How big is your lunchbox?
Your home system: what model is it?

Well, It's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56, '57, '58' 59' B&O
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67, '68, '69, '70 B&O

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shamefully, the only things I took home was a handful of bottle openers:

And the Beocom 4 they gave me when my apprenticeship ended.

I would love to own a Beosound 9000 and/or a set of Beolab 5s, though. Or lot of other products of theirs, really. But I also don't want to pay the super-inflated prices.

I did however steal tons of cable and connectors for DIY projects at home. I could have taken a 15" woofer from a Beolab 5 home at one time, if I had been just a bit quicker on my feet. Alas, one of my colleagues got it instead.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 14, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unity Gain posted:

sound signatures

Ah yes those.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

I think it's probably just one of the US/Euro things. To me, McIntosh gear is quintessentially American: Bold, brash and flashy.

Awful hideous blackletter fonts are pretty American.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I store my PA in the conservatory out back because the garage is a gym. I finally got around to moving stuff about and actually plugging it in...

It's running all 4 tops (Bill Fitzmaurice OT12s) and the two tall black subs (T60s) in the middle. Sub in the centre is a table tuba home theatre sub (long style) and the two other subs left and right acting as speaker stands are T39s. Tuned it to the room and spent a few hours just relaxing in there listening to some stuff. World's smallest nightclub :v:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
:eyepop:

It's... beautiful.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dude.

How much power are you feeding them? And how deaf are you right now? :getin:

E: Also, nice DCX2496/DEQ2496 combo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's only 1000w in the rack as that's all these designs need, they're extremely efficient on power. In the rack from top to bottom:

Samson power distribution
Behringer DEQ 2496
Behringer DCX 2496
Peavey IPR1600 for the tops
QSC GX5 for sub duty

The beauty of these designs is the clarity they put out, during the initial build I ran the two long subs and two of the tops at a venue and at the back wall (40' or so away) the SPL was 116dbc yet there was no distortion. It confuses people when they can stand next to someone and not have to scream to talk to them... Clear as a bell, these which is why I love them.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 21, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Only" a kilowatt.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Considering it's a full size PA capable of throwing sound at 250+ people at high volume, rolling a 7U rack into places containing two piddly amps gets you some strange looks and raised eyebrows! "is that your equipment rack??" Kinda makes you feel a little inadequate until you actually fire it all up. :v:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

88h88 posted:

The beauty of these designs is the clarity they put out, during the initial build I ran the two long subs and two of the tops at a venue and at the back wall (40' or so away) the SPL was 116dbc yet there was no distortion. It confuses people when they can stand next to someone and not have to scream to talk to them... Clear as a bell, these which is why I love them.

Great sign of a good system, that. It's why I'd love to acquire and install a pair of Altec Lansing A7s or similar in my favourite local venue. (It's only a small space, else I'd be jonesing to build Larry Levan's Big Bertha system there.)

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 21, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

88h88 posted:

SPL was 116dbc yet there was no distortion. It confuses people when they can stand next to someone and not have to scream to talk to them... Clear as a bell, these which is why I love them.

I don't understand this...SPL is SPL, even if the distortion is low, and you're going to have to raise your voice no matter what. Unless the distortion is so bad it effectively raises the SPL :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

I don't understand this...SPL is SPL, even if the distortion is low, and you're going to have to raise your voice no matter what. Unless the distortion is so bad it effectively raises the SPL :v:

I can't explain it, I'm not quite that balls deep in acoustic theory but if you've not heard a folded horn sub setup then you should make a point of it. It's basically like having a high quality hi-fi that's capable of going stupidly loud, everything is just clear from top to bottom. It's like they don't excite the room as much as direct radiator subs so you hear more of the music rather than the reverb in the room. If you go out to a club and take a set of musician's earplugs, when you put them in and the sound becomes clearer, that's getting towards what this sort of system is capable of doing. I wish I could put across why it happens but I honestly don't know so at this point considering it's the audiophile thread I'm just going to say it's magic and that I'll sell you the entire system with handmade speakers from an eccentric Englishman in a garage for £150k. Seems fair to me. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

88h88 posted:

entire system with handmade speakers from an eccentric Englishman in a garage for £150k. Seems fair to me. :v:

This is actually a huge hi-fi selling point :v:

As far as the earplugs I would guess since they lower EVERYTHING you wind up dropping the noise floor to an almost inaudible point but the music is still loud enough to get through so there may be an SNR improvement. As for the psychoacoustic effect to most people distorted = loud so maybe they feel they have to compensate more?

I've never heard a folded horn sub but I have heard Klipschorns in an appropriate room and they were indeed good. I suspect that had a lot to do with the large room though.