Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My favorite audiophile bullshit aside from the obvious easy target of wire huggers is their CD players (oh I'm sorry, I mean "optical transports").

It's a simple digital bitstream being read off a disk and then fed right out a S/PDIF port unchanged, seek time is pretty much the only thing that differentiates the things anymore and even there it's always too fast to matter. There is literally nothing different between the audio output from the cheapest PC disk drive and the most expensive "audiophile" unit yet some of those fools let themselves be convinced there is a reason to buy a single-disc unit that costs more than $100.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when discussing the difference between two devices that handle analog signals, but when we're talking simple playback of the same digital content through only digital connections all properly functioning devices should have identical quality.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nielsm posted:

Now that I'm not phone posting, here's my ideas about what goes in those categories.
I like your list but I'd change "Premium ethernet cables" to "premium digital cables" to cover the entire spectrum from S/PDIF to HDMI.

I'd also add power cables, power outlets, and basically anything upstream of the power supplies in the actual devices emitting or processing analog signals to the audiophile nonsense category. As long as they're operating even remotely normally none of those components will ever have a meaningful impact on the electricity that's traveled over dozens or even hundreds of miles of unshielded power lines and through massive transformers on its way between a turbine somewhere and your house.

Actually that gives me a brilliant idea, stick some solar panels on top of a shed, add a load of batteries and some sound insulation, sell it to idiots with too much money as an isolated listening room. Basically take what some of the low power ham radio guys who actually legitimately need to care about RF interference from power lines do but dress it up a bit for the person who thinks it's going to matter on their headphones.

I'm also sure now thinking about it that at least one rich moron has installed a motor-generator in their home to "solve" the "problem" of being hooked to poco infrastructure.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

qirex posted:

It’s getting more common, Pro-ject even recently released a balanced turntable
Time to start selling an audiophile scale for rebalancing cables. If they get too heavy at one end or another the best sounding parts just fall out, of course.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BonHair posted:

Wait, what? How does that not gently caress the data up if it just do happens to contain a bunch of zeros (like my posting)?

There are electrical issues that can happen if the signal spends too much time above or below neutral, so most digital protocols designed to go moderate to long distances over copper will use various encoding schemes to keep the average signal level at 0 over the long term regardless of the data being transmitted. Usually by adding bits so that certain dangerous patterns (long runs of zeroes) never happen and other patterns can be inverted to keep the average signal level neutral.

If you want to get nerdy on the details this section of Wiki has some good starting points: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_code#Disparity

8b/10b is probably the one used by the most things in an average home or office.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Never underestimate the ability for cheap companies to justify saving $0.03 on a device with costing thousands while cutting performance by an order of magnitude.

LG's OLED TVs, most of which have four digit price tags and some even in the five digit range, have 100mbit ethernet interfaces which do actually limit what you can play on them without adding a USB gigabit adapter.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SlowBloke posted:

A ultrahd blu-ray uses h265 encoded streams at 50-60mbps, a 100mbps NIC is not a bottleneck if you use current codecs(nobody encodes commercially with h264 beyond 1080)
Looking at my collection the actual range is more like 40-80, with the top spot going to Gemini Man at 85.9mbit/sec. The thing is that's average bitrate, where when we're discussing whether a network interface would be a bottleneck the peaks are what matters. That movie goes over 100mbit/sec all the time, over 120 intermittently, and even pushes the boundaries of UHD Bluray (officially 144mbit/sec) at points.

That is a 60 FPS release of course so it's a special case, but Highlander isn't far behind at 85.5mbit/sec average and also gets in to the 120 range regularly while peaking over 140.

I'm not saying it's a super common problem, and I'm definitely not saying that extra bitrate is actually doing something I can notice, but I'm not re-encoding anything, I have plenty of hard drive space so I just use what came on the disc, and that does exceed 100mbit/sec more often than you'd think so LG's cheapness legitimately creates a bottleneck with commercial content.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Adolf Glitter posted:

Now you got me thinking about a Pi, with a square screen just for cover art. Seems that 4" is the largest though.
I guess a larger 16:10 could display a cover-flow type interface quite nicely, hmmm
Square might be hard to find but you can get some really nice 4:3 displays out of older iPads, 9.7" 2048x1536 and they use Embedded Displayport so they're really easy to connect to a PC. It's possible to rig up an adapter to normal DisplayPort, or there are easy to find controllers that'll give you a HDMI input to feed from a Pi or whatever. Amazon, eBay, Aliexpress, etc are full of bundles of a display plus controller, they're popular among retro emulator enthusiasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Audiophiles have poopy butts and they smell bad.
Sorry you aren't able to experience pure audible joy. Having just the right amount of poopy butt helps you perceive the quantum fluctuations you only get to experience on the most expensive of systems. The true essence of the sound captured by a 768kHz sampling rate interact with the smell particles wafting up from your crack give the music an amazing texture that fondles your earballs in ways you've never imagined.