Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

zzonkmiles posted:

I've got my next post locked down and won't be bidding for awhile, but I'm looking at an HDS/SND post after that. I got bills to pay and Frankfurt, Toronto, and Sydney won't cut it.

I dunno man - living in Western EUR is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

Lol don't give a poo poo about the low pay that DOS gives out. Ironically I'd be making way more if I had stayed in as a career military officer. Need a mission and excitement, just not the Navy type.

Entry level is marginal - but once you make 02, it's decent. Also considering overseas, housing is included...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

Are you FSS? I thought FSOs are mostly overseas.

Depends on the FSS though.

Edit, also I'm not 02, just know what they make when overseas and it's pretty decent. FS03 all the way over is also pretty good

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Ramms+ein posted:

Does already having a TS/SCI factor into the hiring process at all, or is it all how you do on the tests? Assuming you make it through the Orals, would having the TS/SCI speed up the onboarding process?

"Depends" would be my guess.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

the_chavi posted:

Until we lose danger pay, we're mostly all excepted...

We lost ours ~4 years ago but I'm still working next week.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

1of7 posted:

My understanding is there is no leave status during a shutdown. You get the days back and get paid or not depending on if they decide to back pay the furloughed employees.

Until today, I've always been the one having to work and cover for everyone else who ended up getting paid anyway which definitely seemed like the worse end of the deal.

Depends on pots of money. You and Tyro are both right. Some are furloughed, some are excepted (sup dudes), and some are business as normal where leave must be taken.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

The Unholy Ghost posted:

IR Bachelor's.

I was interested in the Air Force, but it turned out that there were no officer positions open for at least two years. Then I found out that my holding dual citizenship virtually disqualified me from even enlistment, unless I officially cancelled my non-US citizenship. I was not comfortable with this--especially after my experience wrangling with the recruiters--so I dropped the military as an option.

Might think about it again in the future (my family has a bit of a military history), but I always thought the FS would be a much better fit for me.

A colleague couldn't get his clearance until he renounced a citizenship. Just saying, that may/may not be a deal breaker on this side too.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

the_chavi posted:

I think my chancery is an incubation unit for various viruses. My whole section has been passing the same illness up and down the hallway since October, with various mutations every time it starts the trip over again.

Bid Ankara! =/

London was brutal - between the million TDYers and taking the tube/bus to work, I was always sick.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

the popes toes posted:

Hey, thanks. Just popping in after retirement to say it's all worth it.

Oh poo poo dude - sup.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

eonwe posted:

I got pretty far in the process one time when I applied on the consular track as a foreign service officer. I've since transitioned to the IT field, but my interest in foreign service still remains. Just curious if there are sort of 'IT track' in the same way there is a consular track, and if so, does anyone have any experience with that?

Yes, also consider Management Generalist.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Too lazy to reset my pw while waiting for my poo poo.

E: Bidding was also amaze balls again this year. Nothing and then 3 offers - landed my 2nd pick. Using the poo poo out of my HR bidding privs.

TCD fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 25, 2019

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tyro posted:

Thankfully I'm not bidding this year. But my bureau isn't even doing the first round of (non-SIP-bidder) handshakes for 2 more weeks.

Jesus.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

problematique posted:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the strategy of not taking bidding seriously during the regular season and waiting until late spring before a summer TED? I’ve been hearing consistently from a lot of people that do this and that they almost always land a sweet NOW position that inevitably opens up for whatever reason and get a job with minimal competition. I thought this was bs but then I hear about and know quite a few that do exactly this with seemingly no real negative repercussions.

Also, gently caress interim EERs. My first time having to do one, slightly over 120 days. I was just promoted, not up for it, and have accomplished minimal work of major significance in the last three months. Total utter waste of time.

I've seen that strategy used.

It's good* if you're flexible (probably without kids) and you're alright with DC or someplace less than desirable if things don't work out. *If IMS - hit me up*

And yes, always PCS before 120 days.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

zzonkmiles posted:

LOL. Correction. Small posts with bad managers suck.

Condolences.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Trying to isolate at home. I'm currently in a school program and just found out my classmate who sat at my table tested positive. Last had physical contact two weeks ago (switched to online class delivery), so should be in the clear, but... yeah

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tyro posted:

A friend just got a mortgage on a house thru SDFCU from post, because they are willing to write it as a primary residence even if you're not going to occupy immediately, since they "get" our lifestyle. He said it was like pulling teeth and they were incredibly incompetent through the process, that their internal communication between departments/employees was non-existent. Even though he saved a good bit on the interest rate he said next time he'll use a different bank.

I used a realtor who was overseas with a DoD spouse and has worked with FS clients so she gets our lifestyle especially when buying while overseas.

She specifically said to avoid SDFCU for mortgages based on her experience.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Since the future of the forums are in doubt, should we set up a Discord or something?

I'll see if I can dig up my stairs email for those in.

For those out... if someone wants to take the lead on discord and get all the permissions right - cool - but a touch busy in my freetime right now.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

the_chavi posted:

That sweet, sweet feeling when someone reaches out to you about a projected vacancy for which you're the hiring manager, clearly not remembering that he spent several months annoying you for a date at FSI more than a decade ago despite repeated rejections...

"She liked me back at FSI. I'm totally getting this job."

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo happy to not be bidding right now.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Congrats goon(s?)

Saw at least one of our names floating around.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Miss you my friend

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

1of7 posted:

Somehow, I think I progressed through the far end of the bidding stress barrier this year and achieved a sort of state of zen about the whole thing.

My wife has had a plan for this next posting ever since we joined 9 years ago despite me always telling her how slim the odds were of the stars aligning like that. Then they did and not only was there a position at that post, but it's one I was actually interested in and then I would have a good shot at getting. But, then Covid took her dad a month ago and now that's basically become her #1 criteria so she no longer wants to go to that post. Nor most other posts that solved what was our #1 problem (a good high school and the ability to do 4 years.) But, it's not like I can tell her it is irrational to base a decision on where we will move next year based on the Covid situation today.

Oh well. Just finished my first interview which is a place acceptable to my family and I think it went fine. We know a lot of common people that apparently all reached out on my behalf without me asking so hopefully it works out well for me.

The only other posts I've reached out to are places she no longer wants to go so...

Sorry about your FIL. Lost my dad a few months ago due to masked symptoms of COVID. He recovered from COVID but something else got out of hand while they were "treating COVID symptoms".

I'm here for another year and that's okay.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

1of7 posted:

I made the top 3 at my #1 choice, so I'm a little worried that being the only bidder at another post will result in me getting "deconflicted" and then I won't get an offer for my #1.

Probably

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tyro posted:

Wow only 2 of my 10 bids got taken by the SIP panel. I was expecting at least half of them to go.

I'm probably gonna end up domestic anyways. :(

Is SDFCU a total dumpster fire for everything or just lending? Everyone I talk to who has used them for things like mortgages has absolutely horrible feedback. I don't have an account but am considering opening one.

You got what'sapp?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

zzonkmiles posted:

Just heard from my #2 post that I'm their #2 candidate. Here's hoping that their #1 choice has ranked my #2 choice as their #6 choice or something and withdraws from consideration because they get another "air kiss" from a post higher up on their bid list.

I hate this process.

2nd spot is always the worst. On the flipside, you did the same to them :v:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Business of Ferrets posted:

I’m of the mind that, for generalists, the sweet spot for a DC tour is at the 01 level. Lots of jobs with good managerial, supervisory and policy aspects, and you get to skip a lot of the lower-mid-level scut work. Director of a small office or deputy of a large one. Good time to get known by the DASs, etc., too. And you’re making enough money that the domestic pinch is not so acute.

I wouldn't take anything but an 02 or higher job in DC on the IT side.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Natural Ice posted:

Things played out as I expected on my end. Didn't end up as BLC for any of my bids, and consular bidders let me know that even the 'low bid' posts i've added have all already been accounted for. Basically been told to just wait until after handshake day and see what's left. RIP me.

F

I've heard this is an actual bidding strategy for some. Inevitably, good posts have an assignment problem and become available late in the cycle and then they sweep in and get it.

If you're cool with world-wide availability and aren't trying to make SFS in record time - it's a viable strat.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

zzonkmiles posted:

That awkward moment when CA releases the list of jobs that are still available and you see that this list includes positions you had already bid on the first time around...

F

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

A former supervisor is going to my top post - well top 3 in the world and he'd be the person recommending any IT spots to the bureau. We just did the love to work with each other again/stay in touch talk.

Hell yeah

Also I know the CS bureau rep who concurs/pushes stuff from the DC side really well and meet up every few weeks to talk shop.

Hell yeah

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

zzonkmiles posted:

Looks like we won't have to worry about anymore shutdowns for the next two years.

May I introduce you to the problem of the "deficit".

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

zzonkmiles posted:

Why are all these sweet jobs popping up after I accepted my handshake? Grrrr...

Holy poo poo we have a lot of bad bidders, but we just found this position/curtailment/vacancy/etc. let's not advertise until the first few wave of bidders get handshakes and then our pick swoops in and gets it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

the_chavi posted:

I got next-gen ones for our new dip passports - we applied in March and got three-digit passport numbers in May! Our consular chief asked if she could keep them for a week to show them around to everyone in the embassy. They're pretty cool!

I saw one in Panama - pretty cool looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Shoot blues buddy.