Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Speaking of covering food, I've never had a cat that wanted to do that before but Pavarotti will periodically attempt to do so half heartedly.

Usually it's at the shared feeding time that we do at night. Sage gets some of his favorite wet food as a treat, and since Pavarotti doesn't like any form of wet food that we can find we give him some super fancy and extra smelly dry cat food that he gobbles down. He usually doesn't finish the bowl though, and every once and awhile he'll stand over it and just start.. scratching the floor I guess to try and hide it?

They have completely separate food bowls otherwise (and both are chip feeders so it's not like they ever catch a cat eating their food), so I don't think he's anxious about food being stolen or something. I've just never seen a cat do it in person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

My youngest cat used to stalk me around the house sometimes, and he'd ambush me out of nowhere (sometimes like a full body tackle into my legs and then trying to wrestle my feet)

He was only ever trying to play though, since we got a cat his age now they take all that energy out on each other with wrestling and play fighting, my guess would be they see the kid as their rough housing partner or something

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

So does anyone have any advice/experiences regarding at-home euthanasia? My beloved fluff demon is old and her kidney and related issues have really snowballed over the past few weeks. I'd like to do this at home because the vet is a real ordeal for her-- is there any reason I wouldn't want to do it this way?

It sounds like the way to go, I think it's something that lots of vets offer so I'd suggest calling around if your first choice won't do it? I'm sure there's a vet that can help

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

For some reason, my litter robot periodically just stops rotating on it's own. Other than that, it's absolutely fantastic honestly

It's not a big deal to just press the button as I walk by, since it's between my home office and the bathroom anyway, but I wish I could fix it. I keep meaning to send them a support request.. cause I'm presuming I just need to pop it open and give something a good cleaning on the pressure sensor. It still triggers if I push on it so I presume it's just a sensitivity thing due to grime build up

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sage goes absolutely hog wild for deli meat, especially ham and turkey, and both of them go bonkers for cheese

Like Sage begs incredibly hard for it, almost more than his daily wet food treat. It's nut

We left a container of ricotta open once by accident while we were eating dinner and came back to Pavarotti literally sticking his face in it and eating as fast as he could before we could catch him. He pulled his head out and had ricotta on his whiskers and cheeks

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

dpkg chopra posted:

I finally did it you guys. I took out the cats and closed the bedroom door.

I slept great.

:toot:

Despite being allergic to my cats, their pretty good about going to sleep when we do in bed or at the foot so they don't normally wake me up

...except for Sage who, ever since he was a kitten, has had a vendetta against my feet if they dare to poke outside of the blankets

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Any idea why it is so small? I wish they had a model with an auto-dispensing tower attached. SurePet looks like you need to constantly refill it.

It works great for us, but I just give them their food portions once per day at night

No idea if I shouldn't be doing that or something though :v:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Back Alley Borks posted:

I had a rubber band around my Bahn Mi sandwich today and my cat was very curious and started fiddling with it when it was in my hand. He clearly loved messing with it!

I thought whether I could 3D print something that holds rubber bands but then realized that there's no way I'd prevent him from eating it if it snapped. Is there a cat-safe version of a rubber band that I could get him instead?

My cats go wild for my wife's springy hair ties, but I dunno that those are much safer to be honest

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

FWIW, my cats absolutely go hog wild for a particular brand of grocery store wet food and literally won't touch any other brands

We currently feed them a fairly nice dry food, but with our former cat prior to these two flourished on Natural Balance LID food (since she had allergies) and wouldn't even touch the fancier allergy free foods. We had to shift her to a fancy kidney food towards the end of her life, but her coat was never softer and glossier than with that Natural Balance food

I figure as long as they're eating a decent food and eating the right amount it seems to work out :shrug:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Our cats used to care about the spray bottle, so I started mimicking the sound and they'd stop whatever they weren't supposed to be doing. They don't care about either now. Might try the canned air though.

The very first cat we had when I was a kid cared a lot about the spray bottle, it was a little green squirt gun thing. But after she had surprise kittens we were having trouble getting her to drink water. For some reason my Dad thought to use the little squirt gun to bring her water and just like, dribble it for her slowly, and then from then on whenever the little squirt gun came out she'd run up and get ready to drink from it lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Bootsy was just going crazy meowing like he was looking for Prinny to play with. Then the kids figured out why. This tailless gray outside kitty - they're not strays or ferals, they're my neighbors out door cats - was sitting on our window ledge. :kimchi: someone wanted a friend!

Only time we've had another cat show up was when there was a cat yowling at our window and hooo boy, Pavarotti was not happy about this. He was bushed up and yowling and running up and down the stairs trying to find a way to get at the other cat.

Sage didn't care even the slightest bit lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

eating only apples posted:

Just wanted to update and thank people for the kind advice of "chill out". Ferdie has been here a while and he's a cool guy. He likes cuddles and food and biting everything. He spends four hours every day sprinting around the room and trying to destroy everything he owns, and the rest of the time he is asleep in increasingly ridiculous positions. I love him and it is impossible to get a non-blurry photo of him. He is 14 weeks old today.

:kimchi: now that's a cute cat right there. Glad he settled in!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

This is pretty common with cats, fortunately. :) Introducing two full grown cats to each other is always a chancy business, but an adult cat with a kitten usually goes much better. Most cats are incredibly tolerant of a new kitten showing up.

I've heard among cat colonies it's not uncommon for one cat to watch another's kittens

I wonder if it's easier to introduce a kitten because they assume it's just a new baby that's part of the family now, rather than a foreign cat from outside the household

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

massive spider posted:

My cat broke his leg, has just had surgery and according to the vet should now be kept in a cage for 6 weeks. Any tips to make this bearable?

Where he's gonna poop is one major concern.

I guess you could get one of those big wire crates for huge dogs so that the cat can still watch everything, and that way you'd have plenty of space for toys and food and stuff

Probably even a small litterbox?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

As someone allergic to their own cats, I can say at the very least that the worst part is the first couple months the cat is in the house

After that it seems like my allergies start to dampen a little. I'm still allergic to them, but it's not near as awful.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'd love advice on that too tbh, because while sage isn't feral or anything, he is a gigantic scaredy cat. Like he loves getting pet and playing and spending time with my wife and I, but the instant he hears another car pull up, or God forbid a doorbell, he's off like a bolt of lightning to hide under the covers in our bed

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Holy crap, my cats actually managed to completely break their cat tree

The culprit:

Anyone got any recommendations for something a little tougher than the particle board ones you get online, I guess?

They're about 12-13 lbs each, so they're not gigantic or anything. Just.. apparently a little too much for a cat tree with a long arm. It lasted about 6 months or so?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

We trained our kitten to give kisses when he was like 10 weeks old

Now that he's a year and a half old.. he's basically still a huge baby and loves kisses and still loves to play fetch with hair ties. He doesn't play fetch for like hours anymore, but he goes through phases. He honestly just acts like a bigger kitten still

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

explosivo posted:

I'm going on vacation with the gf and her parents so we need to board the cats for a few days, and I had to laugh writing down in the personal belongings section "brown shoe string with orange pipe cleaner wrapped around it".

I always hate doing this, though. We can't help but feel guilty leaving them there, especially knowing one of the two of our cats is a tremendous pain in the rear end. We don't really go on a lot of vacations because of it. Its our vet though and they are familiar with us and the cats so that sorta helps.

Are there no cat sitter options where you are?

For us it's been a real game changer, not that we travel a ton. Not to mention that it's actually been cheaper generally than boarding them somewhere. Doesn't work as well though if they need medicine multiple times a day or something

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Obfuscation posted:

My cats were used to free feeding before I adopted them but I’ve done strictly meal times for over a month now. Thing is, they have started running into the kitchen every time I go there, even if it’s several hours until the next meal time. Does this ever go away?

:same:

Our cats free feed pretty much just fine, but we give them some wet food as a treat/shared feeding thing and have done so for 6 months.

From 5:30 pm on they beg in the kitchen as if it's time, literally every day. I don't think it ever ends tbh

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

As far as I can tell the smell is part of the appeal. The more pungent the cat food smell the more our cats go wild for it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

We have two smaller fountains for two cats, but that's mostly to have one in each half of our place

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Is he peeing a lot, or just a little? Maybe it's a marking thing from the aforementioned wrestling?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

This was when we first got him about a few days after he showed up on my porch meowing at my door and before I put him on a diet:

:eyepop:

Holy cow that's a big cat!

One of our boys has gotten pretty big, he was a lot slimmer in the shelter but at the same time we can still feel his ribs easily. He basically only eats 2/3s a cup of food+ a little bit of special dry food for joint feeding time each day, which is probably about right.

What's weird is if we just give him 2/3s a cup he scarfs it all down immediately, but if we fill the bowl he grazes on it through the day instead and still eats the same amount. Guess he just gets worried when the bowl is emptier :shrug:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

explosivo posted:

My cat just walked over on her own accord and opened her auto-feeder to get dry food after feeding her wet food after like 6 months of owning this thing I think I could cry :cry:

Still a long way I think from her realizing she can just go shove her head in that thing for food instead of bothering me every time she's feeling peckish but this is huge progress.

:hellyeah:

We got lucky that all 3 of the cats we have had just immediately understood how to use our chip feeders and were totally ok, more than ok even, with the litter robot

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh that's a good point! I always forget because he's so good about it now a year later, but when we got our youngest as a kitten he'd absolutely inhale his food. Like his method of eating was open his mouth as wide as he could and then just jam his face into the bowl lol. He didn't throw it up, but mostly because his mouth was too full so he'd end up with food everywhere

We got one of those slow eater things and he eventually stopped, never to start again when we gave him his smart feeder. He still makes an insane mess though

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

That sounds really tough and you guys are obviously trying everything you can. Only thing I can think of would be like.. some sort of covered high perch or something where the cat would feel like it's safer?

But you'd have to actually get them up there would be the issue, poor little guy

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

KariOhki posted:

Anyone here use the SurePet microchip feeder, and how have you liked it? I have one cat on Hill's Prescription Diet c/d and the other (recently acquired) cat has started grazing at that food overnight instead of daring to come upstairs to where his own food station is.

It works fantastic for our two little guys. We didn't even need to use the learning setting despite one of them being a gigantic scaredy cat, they took to it right away.

I think it helps that it's super quiet. We started using them for a similar reason, one cat needing prescription food that the other didn't

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's no guarantee they'll ever warm up to each other. In fact, unless they are kittens, there's no guarantee feral adult cats will ever warm up to people or other cats. I'd really consider giving the new cat up, as FHIV can be spread through open wounds, so it's a bad idea if either cat seems agressive.

Oh dang that's a good point, especially considering even cats that are the best of friends play pretty rough sometimes. Seems like a lot of potential to go sideways :ohdear:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I just call them cats :shrug:

Though our cats are easy cause one's a cream tabby and the other's a brown tabby

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

I've watched our cats wrestle often enough to know when it's about to turn into crying/hissing so when I see them do it I've learned to shake the treat container before it gets to that point. That immediately breaks up the wrestling match and they both trot over for their rewards.

It's probably silly, but I always worry about using treats for that kind of stuff because our cats might make the association of too rough play = treats

Like when I was trying to get our first cat to use a scratching post I'd give her treats every time she even touched it for a little scratch. She eventually figured that out and would wait for me to be looking, then touch the scratching post with both paws and come over to wait for her treat lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

My younger cat loves to watch and hear the robot work. It's adorable.

Yeah our youngest cat absolutely loves to watch it too, it's like Cat TV to him

He'll literally run over everytime it runs to watch

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

FBS posted:

I lost Jackson to liver cancer last week. We were together for eleven and a half years and he was the best companion a guy could ask for. I think I'm handling it pretty well all things considered but my apartment feels eerily empty and I've already started to think about adoption.

I'm trying to decide if I should adopt two cats at once. I've got the space and since I still work in an office I'm gone for much of the week so it would be great for them to have companionship. But Jackson was always my only cat so I've never had to care for two cats at once.

Are there any surprises or considerations I should be aware of? How do vet checkups work when you have two of them? Obviously it means twice as much food and twice the likelihood of medical problems but what non-obvious stuff can come up?

Probably the biggest thing is to look for a bonded pair, especially if you'll have to be away for chunks of the day. Otherwise you'll have to worry about cat introductions along with them in a new home and you being at work and stuff

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Taking our 2 young boys to the vet tomorrow, for the first time together. They'll be in separate carriers (mostly because they're both pretty big boys) so there won't be any confined cat rough housing

They've both been fine with the vet in the past, but since they'll both be there I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they won't end up stressing each other out

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

And if they don't, you just need to get a fourth cat. Easy peasy

But yeah going back in time when we wanted to introduce a younger cat to our older one, I think I would've gotten two kittens instead of the one, so they could wrestle each other and not spend as much time chasing around our sicker elderly cat

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autodrop Monteur posted:

Mine do this too! I've always wondered about this behaviour. It's like a few seconds of licking each other before they start their super slam event.

Same here

Pav will start groom Sage for a little bit, and then after a few minutes he just goes for a chomp and they're off to the races for either wrestles or a massive chase all over the house

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

If you're comfortable with running one full time, try out a heating pad wherever kitty's favorite sleep spot is. It soothes arthritis a bit.

They make low wattage pet specific ones if you hunt around.

Can confirm that our old girl LOVED her pet heating pad while she was still around. And while she didn't suffer too much from arthritis you could definitely see how she didn't like to jump near as much, as I like to think it soothed her a bit

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:hmmyes: I'm not sure why but this one speaks to me

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

He is (among) the best of Americans. So is your boy. I saved that one for last to pad it with worse options you had to consider because it was the best one.

He carries himself like a Tom Hanks.

Oh I'm not the op here, I just like that name for a cat lol

Man, I've had to be up super late on calls lately and my cats like to sleep on and near me. They really get some sleep twitches sometimes, must be some intense dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Crocobile posted:

She’s probably still settling in, but laser pointer toys can make cats really agitated. Jackson Galaxy has a video on how to use them:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMk0QDjQ9Wk

Tldr version is: if you use a laser pointer, let the cat catch a real toy at the end of the session. It can also help to end the play session with a meal.

Socks, when we had first got her and RIP now, would get really, really, REALLY excited about the laser pointer no matter what we did

We actually had to eventually stop using it because it was attached to a key ring and even the SOUND of a key ring being picked up would cause her to start getting excited to chase. It was like she was absolutely addicted to it

Ever since if we play with our boys with a laser pointer it's only for a little bit and followed with catching something or some food or something