Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have a question about my cat, he is male and almost a year old.

I feed him about 3 times a day, sometimes 4 if he is being unbearable, of 85g canned kitten food. It's good quality stuff and he's been eating it since he started eating solid foods. The problem is after he eats a can he meows and meows like he's still starving, today he was so crazy he was trying to get into the trash bin multiple times to get at some chicken bones I threw in there that morning. I've tried feeding him dry food with the wet food but he has had bad reactions to it with both brands that I bought.

Not sure what to do, hoping you guys could help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Don't mind me, just posting some pictures of my cat Charlie.

AKA "Captain Crunch"

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They do have Feliway in Australia, scope out your pet stores.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Had a terrible weekend in regards to my cat Charlie. It started after I had finished washing the dishes I realized he was taking a longer time than normal to pee. :siren: alarm bells :siren:

The day was a public holiday so my partner and I had to rush him to an emergency vet. They checked him out and told us he would need a catheter and gave us a quote for $3000. We didn't have anywhere near that amount so the vet started to talk about "other options" (such as putting him down) and were offered a finance option. ONLY after we were rejected for the finance option and my parter is freaking out and crying because she thinks she has to put her cat down that the vet brings up the option of draining the urine with a needle and giving pain medication so we can go to our normal vet the next day. It's basically our only option, and cost $400.

The next day we went to out normal vet and she couldn't find his bladder so she decided it would be best to give him antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory and watch him. We do that and 4 hours later he urinates. Ordeal over and $650 total gone. It's better than $3000 though.

My partner is angry with the emergency vets for not exploring the antibiotics + anti-inflammatory option and suggesting to go straight for the catheter procedure(which cost $3000).

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought as much, also the cost would have been inflated due to it being an e-vet hospital. Thanks for putting it in a way I can explain to my SO so she doesn't feel like they were trying to rip her off.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Drythe posted:

Why does a cath cost three grand? Is it just they charge what they want because you would have no other choice?
It would half that cost at a normal vet, my cat just likes to get sick when it's a public holiday because he is a jerk.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

What does it mean when a cat sighs
My cat sighs when he has been purring and is just about to fall asleep, it is cute as gently caress.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you have posted about it on the internet then I think you've probably left it to late to discourage it right?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is anybody else's cat obsessed with chips? It's not even a particular type of chip, pringles, cornchips, potato chips all in different flavors. Opening a packet of chips in our house is like opening a packet of cooked chicken.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I should make a video of all the tricks I taught my cat

my girlfriend made one of him being a punk when we were telling him to lay down

"lay down"
"meow"
"lay down!"
"meeeeoooooow"
"do it!!"
*lays down*

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceAceJase posted:

Hey guys.
New cat pic. Here's Link. Enjoy!

He's come a long way. My earlier posts.
Need an eye patch stat

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How do I start brushing my cats teeth?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

if charlie was awake i'm sure he'd say hello

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ferremit posted:

Feliway would be a hell of a lot easier to stomach if it wasnt AU$100+ a dispenser in Australia.
Yep, I would have bought it a million years ago if it was half the price

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CommonShore posted:

Ok this is a troll.
Nah he's for real, don't kill the dream

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm moving house soon and I have a cat with fleas

what's the best way to bring the cat with me but not the fleas

cheers

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know why my cat is such a messy lad?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

I think your cat is a cat. We put a tray under our dry food bowl to catch the mess.

They grab a mouthful of food, then pull their head out the dish. As they start crunching, a lot falls out.
Yeah fair enough, I was just worried because it seemed like a lot of mess

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

I get slow blinks, but it's always in response to me doing a slow blink.

And some times the slow blink turns into a looking in the other direction and ignoring me from then on so not sure how to take that.

You're too clingy obvs

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thumposaurus posted:

Look at this doofus

A perfect angel

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my little fart smella

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man posted:

my cat seems to only wanna sleep and occasionally go outside. I hope he's getting some exercise out there, but I would like to find something he'd enjoy indoors to play with too. I've tried your usual basic cat toys, balls lasers etc, but he doesn't seem too interested in any so far. any somewhat more esoteric suggestions for like a game I can play with him?

I might have asked something similar before and forgot, sorry if so!
some treats tied up loosely in a small hand towel

or something like this

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07X8SYYXK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hallo spacedog posted:

This might be a dumb question but do all cats affect allergy havers in the same way? Are there some kinds of cats that give less allergies? Is there a way to tell if you're going to be allergic to any given cat?

I'd really like to consider getting an adult cat but in the past I've had allergies.

Apparently there is a food you can feed cats that makes them shed less of the proteins that make you allergic

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Rest in peace Mel :(

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sometimes i get angry at my cat for waking me up at 4:30am but then i remember he is a cat and i am the only person who can give him food and cuddles

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Once my cat realised he could go outside and explore when he had the harness on he was a little tearaway

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Universal cat distribution system working as intended

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anybody got advice for hella vocal cats? A lot of times it is cute. Other times though, you’ll be trying to have a human conversation using words and grammar, and out of nowhere he hears and emerges, meowing a storm.

The other cats barely meow even if you try to encourage them. This fella tho

And yes he’s ball-free and healthy.
it is what it is

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Organza Quiz posted:

I've been using a tofu brand that's only sold at woolies and it's been absolutely fantastic. No downsides at all. Clumps, flushes, no dust. Does track a bit but I don't think it's possible not to.

ETA: this stuff!

I also use Tofu litter and can confirm it's the best litter i've used

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

How do I stop my 5-6 month old from getting in the kitchen sink? It's mostly a problem when I'm using it, which is when he is most interested in getting there -- I assume for both attention and access to running water.

It is really annoying when I'm trying to do dishes. I have to pick him up and put him down, over and over - 6 times yesterday within a few minutes. Sometimes he responds to a "no" or a hiss or something, but usually not.

Once or twice he's gotten up there immediately after me putting dirty utensils, which isn't great but not a big problem (yet). He also got quite close to the stovetop once and I assume he will go there if I leave food uncovered (when I am there but sitting down).

When and how will it stop? Could a fountain be a solution?

The culprit:

the baby just wants to help you with the chores

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My cat drinks fine from his large coffee cup, the only thing he will drink out of, i'm guessing he saw his humans drinking coffee in the morning every day and said "yes this is the way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Organza Quiz posted:

Tofu litter has been incredible to me, all the benefits none of the downsides.
+1 for Tofu litter, that stuff is great