Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jacido
Oct 10, 2008

Too much Breaking Bad, not enough Working Out.

Beldaran posted:

We found a kitten by the trash about a little less than a year ago. Ever since we got him we can't get him to stop sucking on and licking people. I know this is because he was abandoned by his mother (he was three weeks old when we found him) but its really weird to have your cat lick and suck on your guests. Also, he will only do this to human skin, not clothes or blankets, so we can't exactly spray ourselves down with bitter apple.

He is a male neutered indoor cat, and will be a year old in October we think. We only have the one cat because we are living in a foreign country at the moment and don't think a second cat would be a good idea until we go back to America.

Advice?

Hwaa! My cat does this too. Except he's 11 weeks old and not abandoned by his mother. I am curious to see if anyone has a super awesome answer to your question as I'd like to know what the gently caress that is about as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jacido
Oct 10, 2008

I have a four year old male cat, and we are thinking about adding another member to our family. We are not sure to get a cat or a little dog (little because that is all our place allows for dogs). The only problem we have about trying to figure our what animal to get is because of how sensitive our cat already is to change.
He has some weird sensitive bladder that whenever there is change the lining of his bladder goes away and it becomes painful for him to urinate, so he will pee on my things because I am his person. He hasn't urinated on anything in a while and got medication for his bladder thing in the past.
When my boyfriend left to move to a new province and I had to stay behind for a couple months, my cat peed on his favourite rug to lay on at the front door. After we moved with him there was no issue which was great. I made sure he had treats, feliway, and butt loads of toys. I still make sure his has all the stuff he needs to make sure he is okay.
He has a weird attachment issue towards me, even so when my boyfriend and I hug he meows and meows until I pick him up.
He follows me everywhere and constantly brings me toys. This is totally fine and adoring, but is concerning whenever we leave to visit family back home for 4-5 days.
We think that maybe getting a friend for him would make issues with people leaving be better for him.

Do you think this is a good idea to alleviate his attachment issues? If so, do you think it would be incredibly difficult to bring in another cat or would a different species (a dog) be less intrusive?

jacido
Oct 10, 2008

Cobalt Chloride posted:

Where can you get nice cheap litter box tops in Canada? I guess the dollar store wouldn't have them. Henry does not understand the correct procedure to burying poop and throws litter all over the place. There needs to be a :catdowns: emoticon.

They have cheap ones at Superstore. Comes with the lid and the base for $15-19 I think.

jacido
Oct 10, 2008

poemdexter posted:

On the way to pick up 2 4mo old cats. We haven't had cats in this house before and was wondering the best way to allow them to adjust. Mostly looking for some method to let them know the location of the litter box. Should I keep them in the room with the box for a while? Should I let them roam around and bring them to the box occasionally? I fully expect to clean up pee and poop for a while, just looking for tips to get them familiar to the layout of the house most importantly where the litter box is.

Whenever getting a new cat, I keep the litter box in a close room to them and show them where it is by plopping the cat in there. Thdn a few days later I will move the litter box closer to where I want it it. Plop the cat back in there. Repeat every few days until the litter box is where you want it! :)

It took me 2-3 weeks to get the litter box from our bedroom to the basement of our new place, but that is because my cat is a big pansy and was afraid of the new place for a while.

Good luck!

jacido
Oct 10, 2008

Hey guys, this is Gimli. We just adopted him at this "cat drive" at the SPCA - cats going for $10. All 150 cats and kitten were adopted today!

Gimli so far seems really chill and happy. He needs to get neutered and a clean bill of health before we start to let my other cat and Gimli meet.

Gimli growls at everything. Is this normal? He growls are car horns, weird noises, and objects he is about to check out - he growled at the office chair before he decided to jump on it. Is he just tired from this stressful day and is letting everyone know he is tired and cranky? Or did I adopt a cranky fatty? He is 17 pounds and is right away on a healthy diet. He also sneezes a whole bunch, so when I take him in on his check up maybe the vet will tell me he has a cold, which very well makes me growly too.

jacido
Oct 10, 2008

I couldn't find the diet megathread anymore for pets? It is all archived, I think. If I am wrong, I will move this post...

My fat cat, Gimli, was adopted in the summer. We didn't mean to get a fatty but he kind of won our hearts over with his "hey here is my belly, please touch!" attitude... and he was so fluffy and fat and gah! Anyways, after many months on orijen, his weight kind of stayed around 16-19 pounds no matter what. We have tried to give him wet food, but he has diarrhea from any little nibble he gets. We got a huge giant cat tree, he has a lot of toys, we play with him often, and we have three levels of floors he must travel through each day if he would like to sleep, eat, and poop.

For Orijen, he was eating about 3/4 to 1 cup a day. He was sometimes gaining, but mostly maintaining. We took him to the vet to see what was going on, because it would be great if he could get healthy - we want to have him for a long time! The vet weighed him and gave us this new diet food to feed him. He said it had a lot of filler to make him feel fuller, and that he was supposed to get 1 and 1/4c a day. Everything I read a while back said filler is bad, which is exactly why I buy the expensive fancy pants orijen. Anyhow, I figure he is an educated man and I should probably just go along with it.

He weighed in two weeks ago at 7.5kg, today he weighed in at 9.2kg! Ahhh!

Total opposite of what we wanted. The vet was super skeptical that I was not monitoring the food and that he was eating Bert's (our other cat's) food. I said that was absolutely not the case, we sit down there with Gimli and feed him. When he is done, we put it away. Bert's food is out of limits for Gimli, as he is too fat to jump that high.

The vet didn't seem to believe me, and still wanted to continue on with the same food for the same amount.... And now that is why I am posting here.

I have also suggested to the vet every time we see him (it has been four times now) that maybe he should get a blood test, and each time shoots me down, just tossing it to me not watching him eat.

I just started tonight mixing Orijen with the diet food to get him back on it. I don't really trust this food now or trust the vet. He gained just over 4 pounds in two weeks!

So this is where you guys come in. Do I really believe in the vet and his "diet" plan? Or do you think I should just switch back to Orijen and 100% monitor his food intake like how we have been with the "diet" stuff? Before when he was on Orijen, we measured out his food, but didn't really watch or know how much he was eating. I feel like if he gets back on Orijen and we do what we're doing now (watching him eat and then putting it away) that he would lose weight.

He is indoor, approximately 2 years, neutered, and p cute.

"Diet" food:

Orijen:

Fatty in question:

jacido
Oct 10, 2008

Aww thanks everybody! He loves you all too (truly! He loves everyone!). I don't know how I missed the pet nutrition thread, I guess it helps if you aren't looking for the word "diet" ahah. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jacido
Oct 10, 2008

flare posted:

Hey everyone, I've finally adopted the sweet cat I found at the local humane society and brought her home. She's comitted to hiding under the covers in our bedroom now. She's super calm and can be pet but she's really apprehensive about being out and about. She's been home a few hours now and I'm just worried she might not find the food / litter in the other room. (It's a 1 bed room apartment, only a few rooms). Should I move her food / litter to my bed room? I'm not sure how easy it is to move the box once she's more confident.

I think I'm being overly cautious but she seems pretty scared of everything right now and I'm worried her fear might lead to poop or pee in my bed. :(

My cat is like this every time we move, and was especially like this when we first got him. She probably just wants a safe place. I usually keep food and litter where they are staying, and then as they get more comfortable and browse around slowly, by every day, move the litter box further out to where you want them.