Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Lord Lilf posted:

I recently picked up a new vacuum cleaner after my old one called it quits. My poor fellow has recently taken hiding under the bed and tearing out his fur and sometimes put out bits of skin when I vacuum. I've started putting him in the cat carrier or putting him in another room when I vacuum but now it's got me concerned because he can't leave his injuries alone. I'm going to try and take him to the vet Friday to make sure nothing else is wrong but can anyone recommend something so he doesn't fidget with his wounds in the meantime?

I'm also looking for some alternative with the vacuum that doesn't scare him. If it means getting rid of the vacuum and using something else I'd gladly go that route so the poor guy has some sense of peace. :( He's never done this when I used my old vacuum although it still freaked him out enough.

How about a carpet sweeper? http://smile.amazon.com/BISSELL-Natural-Sweep-Sweeper-92N0A/dp/B001GL1NXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395917478&sr=8-1&keywords=carpet+sweeper
No electricity so they are quieter. They still make a sound, but it is considerably reduced. They are pretty good if you have short pile carpet for anything but deep dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.
My boyfriend is cat clueless. I get up and feed the cats, he wakes up afterwards and they're swarming him and yowling so he feeds them again and then acts indignant that they'd lie to him. It's like "They're CATS."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rodent Mortician posted:

My boyfriend is cat clueless. I get up and feed the cats, he wakes up afterwards and they're swarming him and yowling so he feeds them again and then acts indignant that they'd lie to him. It's like "They're CATS."

My cat has a bowl full of dry food at all times, but pesters me every morning and evening for her wet food for about an hour before feeding time, because apparently without it she will starve to death :ohdear:

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Iron Crowned posted:

My cat has a bowl full of dry food at all times, but pesters me every morning and evening for her wet food for about an hour before feeding time, because apparently without it she will starve to death :ohdear:

It's just because she's on a 23 hour day. My cats are the same way.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx

Bad Mitten posted:

How about a carpet sweeper? http://smile.amazon.com/BISSELL-Natural-Sweep-Sweeper-92N0A/dp/B001GL1NXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395917478&sr=8-1&keywords=carpet+sweeper
No electricity so they are quieter. They still make a sound, but it is considerably reduced. They are pretty good if you have short pile carpet for anything but deep dirt.

That definitely seems like it'll do the trick, thank you!

May as well post Carl Sagan being his handsome if somewhat pervy self:

I like to think he's silently screaming "My balls! What in the name of Lucipurr have they done with my balls?!?"

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rodent Mortician posted:

Your boyfriend needs to learn cats better. There's a reason why the thread is titled "Cats are assholes."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My cat practices portion control but she used to be an outdoor cat and I am waiting for the day she tries to bolt through my legs out the door when I'm coming back from work. I've had her for about three weeks and last night I got to hear the Howls of Anguish for about five minutes for the first time. Luckily, unlike some cats, when I didn't respond she quit. I think that had a lot to do with me not being home all day.

Rhythm Cyborg
Jun 9, 2008

I never knew about the dark things
So I have a cat Loki and he is in emergency surgery I can't really afford. He has a urinary blockage, crystals and a genital anomaly (which I never knew about til now, despite regular trips to the vet) They couldn't insert a catheter so now they are doing surgery to fix it. The vet explained the surgery but I sort of spaced; I stopped listening after he said "this is a life threatening situation." Any support or advice appreciated. I have never experienced this kind of pet emergency before now. Am waiting on a call from the vet for results of the surgery.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Hello. I had a blocked cat almost 2 weeks ago. It is life threatening, and you may not be out of the woods yet depending on his kidney values and how long he's been blocked. The cath not going in smoothly isn't a good sign.

The surgery that I was told about basically is gender reassignment. They remove the penis entirely and widen the opening of the urethra that is left behind so that it is no longer so narrow and has a greatly reduced/eliminated risk of blocking.

I'm not sure what genital anomaly you're talking about, but a male cat's urethra is extremely narrow and can get easily clogged with crystals or mucus.

Good luck. I know what you feel like right now. Signing the DNR for Oliver was the hardest decision. But he's perfectly fine now! And the surgery, if it's the same as the one they told me about, basically guarantees that it won't happen again because otherwise there's almost always a repeat performance.

E: I couldn't afford Oliver's hospital stay but I was approved for care credit so I wasn't forced to euth him.

Rhythm Cyborg
Jun 9, 2008

I never knew about the dark things
The procedure went well and he's home now. Usually they would hospitalize a cat, but Loki is such a loving terror at the vet, they can't. He's rather large at almost 20 pounds and very strong. And HATES the vet.

Anyway, it's just gonna be a rough few days but he should be alright. The vet said the really dangerous parts are over. I can just tell he's in a lot of pain, though... and I hate it. I have him set up with his favorite blanket and a litterbox filled with ripped up newspaper.

Thanks for the response, CompactFanny. :unsmith:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I have a question about neutering.

My 5 months old male cat, Jacob, got neutered last week. Since then he's been progressively less and less affectionate.
He used to basically purr like an engine, head bumped all the time for affection and basically loved having his head scratched, and within that one week he's now backing off from hands near his head and is utterly silent.
Way more fidgety/not interested in being touched whereas he actually liked getting pick up to hang on people's shoulders.

I'm guessing/hoping that's mostly a temporary post-operation thing? Because he was pretty much the perfect cat buddy before and now, well, it's... kind of sad :(

Bonus, here's Jacob along with best friend Korra.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

They gave Oliver buprenex for pain after the cath and everything, and also prozacin (I think) to reduce bladder spasms which is normal after a catheter. The buprenex constipates him bad though.

I'm so glad your kitty is doing better :)

Hella Nervous
May 13, 2005
You must be joking.
Ugh, one of my cats (9 lbs, spayed, female) stole a pill pocket containing my other cat's fluoxetine (he's 16 lbs). It was 5 mg. The internet seems to indicate this isn't a huge deal and 5 mg is a fairly standard (high) dose for a cat, but I still worry about whether I should take her in to the vet. It's 10:45 at night here so it'd be an expensive e-vet visit. I have a call in to my regular vet's emergency line but haven't heard back yet. CATS.

Edit: e-vet says she might be a little lethargic because she isn't used to the medicine, but that's not a dangerous dose and she'll be fine.

Now, to convince my 16 lb. monster to actually start EATING the pill pockets again. We were doing so well for awhile, buddy.

Hella Nervous fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 29, 2014

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Just thought I'd pop in to clear up some common misconceptions about cats. Everyone should read this album:

http://imgur.com/a/Ji7KY

Here's just the first one.

1. Quivering butt, ready to pounce

“Experts” say: Cats wiggle back and forth to position themselves for the perfect attack.

The truth: Cats have satellite transmitters in their butts and must periodically recalibrate to receive transmissions from their home planet.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Hey everyone, I've finally adopted the sweet cat I found at the local humane society and brought her home. She's comitted to hiding under the covers in our bedroom now. She's super calm and can be pet but she's really apprehensive about being out and about. She's been home a few hours now and I'm just worried she might not find the food / litter in the other room. (It's a 1 bed room apartment, only a few rooms). Should I move her food / litter to my bed room? I'm not sure how easy it is to move the box once she's more confident.

I think I'm being overly cautious but she seems pretty scared of everything right now and I'm worried her fear might lead to poop or pee in my bed. :(

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

flare posted:

Hey everyone, I've finally adopted the sweet cat I found at the local humane society and brought her home. She's comitted to hiding under the covers in our bedroom now. She's super calm and can be pet but she's really apprehensive about being out and about. She's been home a few hours now and I'm just worried she might not find the food / litter in the other room. (It's a 1 bed room apartment, only a few rooms). Should I move her food / litter to my bed room? I'm not sure how easy it is to move the box once she's more confident.

I think I'm being overly cautious but she seems pretty scared of everything right now and I'm worried her fear might lead to poop or pee in my bed. :(

If you're concerned about it, lock her in the litter room for a couple days. That can then become her "base" for exploring the rest of the apartment.

Don't worry about her finding the food. She will. She'll find a lot of things.

jacido
Oct 10, 2008

Too much Breaking Bad, not enough Working Out.

flare posted:

My cat is like this every time we move, and was especially like this when we first got him. She probably just wants a safe place. I usually keep food and litter where they are staying, and then as they get more comfortable and browse around slowly, by every day, move the litter box further out to where you want them.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Thanks everyone. That makes me feel a lot better.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Keeping them in the same room as the litterbox just makes it easier though. Less chance of bathroom accidents where you dont want them.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

For now I've put her in the bathroom with her food, water, and litter box. She immediately went back under the covers, took a few tries though.

Edit: Update for those interested.

She's doing much better in the bathroom. She's coming out, being friendly and acting just like she did at the shelter: wanting pets and purring loudly and being super social. She also ate while we were in the room so thats a huge plus! Still very skittish so I think I'll keep her in there another day or two. What do you guys think?

Bonus pic:

bone app the teeth fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 30, 2014

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Does anyone know why a cat would huff packing tape glue? Because Butts seems to love the stuff more than catnip and it's kind of weird...

Cats.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

flare posted:

For now I've put her in the bathroom with her food, water, and litter box. She immediately went back under the covers, took a few tries though.

Edit: Update for those interested.

She's doing much better in the bathroom. She's coming out, being friendly and acting just like she did at the shelter: wanting pets and purring loudly and being super social. She also ate while we were in the room so thats a huge plus! Still very skittish so I think I'll keep her in there another day or two. What do you guys think?

Bonus pic:

Pretty much the standard cat introduction moves, at least with mine. Keep it up! She'll let you know when she's confident enough to explore.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

So I wanted to ship my special buddy Henry to me since right now he's in Canada and I'm in England. I know all about the rabies and vets notes and fees at the airport etc. But what I'm really worried about is how stressful it's gonna be for the little guy! Is it something I should be worried about? Is his fragile little mind going to snap after a 7-8 hour journey? :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Given that people have shipped their pets across the world, I dont think that's going to be a huge problem. I know a couple of goons have even shipped a pair of cats all the way to Australia from the US and they werent insane by the time they got there.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Another Ellie update. She started crying before bed last night from the bathroom. We let her out and she came right to us and couldn't get enough attention and purring like a locomotive.

Of course this lasted until about 4 AM. None of the toys we bought work, of course. She doesn't even look at them. Hoping I can find something at a local pet supply shop she will like.

She's back to being skittish this morning but will come out for petting. I think she's adapted to a new home pretty fast.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My cats cant resist two games. Playing with Da Bird (there's cheaper knockoffs that last just as long), or blanket mice (wriggling something under a sheet of fabric, mimic a mouse scurrying around). They also cant stop playing with the treat ball because they're gluttons.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

My 2 year old smallish (7 pounds) tuxedo started coughing up her food Friday, continued yesterday, although she hasn't yet today. She usually finishes her food between each 12 hour feeding, but she's been leaving about half of it the past day. She's been behaving like normal, no unusual behavior except this diet. I've cleaned/monitored her litter since yesterday and nothing yet.

I'm thinking if she's still not eating/pooping tomorrow I make a vet appointment. Her vomitting attempts result mostly in phlegm and some food bits, undigested relatively. She's doesn't eat random things (very picky) or chew stuff, so I'm hoping it's just a furball. She's never been much of a furball kitty though, maybe one or two ever.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

flare posted:

Another Ellie update. She started crying before bed last night from the bathroom. We let her out and she came right to us and couldn't get enough attention and purring like a locomotive.

Of course this lasted until about 4 AM. None of the toys we bought work, of course. She doesn't even look at them. Hoping I can find something at a local pet supply shop she will like.

She's back to being skittish this morning but will come out for petting. I think she's adapted to a new home pretty fast.

Your cat may need more time to adjust to the new surroundings before taking to toys.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Goodpancakes posted:

Your cat may need more time to adjust to the new surroundings before taking to toys.

So hyper night time cat until then? Any suggestions for my sanity and sleep schedule?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Put them back in their safe room for the night with a little nightlight. How old is it?

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

She's three.

Edit: She's responding to the laser pointer!

bone app the teeth fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 31, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I bought a little toy for my cats, like 4 balls and a little bell thing at the end yesterday.

Anyway, I noticed my youngest cat gnawing on the little noisy ball part, your standard bell on these things, pretty small overall and didn't much of it.

Except that now the metal part is somewhat torn open and I cannot find the thing inside that makes noise, I turned my room upside down and nothing, safe to assume my idiot cat ate it.

Should I be worried? I noticed that behavior at 2pm, its 9pm here, so 6 hours and he's still doing his thing like normal, still running around, being crazy, eating, etc.

I figure he'll poop it out but I wanted to ask first.

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/toys/martha-stewart-pets-trade-mouse-dangler-cat-toy-zid36-11850/cat-36-catid-200021?var_id=36-11850

Toy in question.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 31, 2014

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Really random long shot idea but if the bell is magnetic and you have a metal detector you could use it on your cat, see if it beeps. But I guess since we don't know if the bell is ferrous I guess you wouldn't be able to deduce much if nothing happens. Oh well posting anyways!

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Go a little play in last night so her boredom craziness didn't start until really late. Hopefully I can get her to play more consistently tonight. Progress!

Halogen_Dusk
Jul 19, 2013

flare posted:

So hyper night time cat until then? Any suggestions for my sanity and sleep schedule?

I used to have a Russian Blue female called Smokey, and she was flatbound as we were near a main road. One of the things she liked to do at around 3:30 - 4:00am was play a game called "Let's jump up on the wardrobe and launch ourselves onto Daddy". She'd jump onto the bed, scare the crap out of me, and then bolt off, wanting me to go and play with her. Of course, at 3:30am, that was exactly what I wanted to do..NOT :-)

I then got the idea of playing with her before I went to bed to really tire her out. I mean being cooped up all day would drive anyone crazy and the fact that I went to work and would come home and just wanted to relax, wasn't really in her game plan. Spending time with her though settled her down.

When I decided to move over here to the UK, I gave her to my Mum where she was able to live outside, so that nocturnal activity wasn't so much of a problem. I'd say, spend some time with Ellie, get the toys out and put them on the rug, let her know they are her toys.

Now over here, our cat Cleo loves having her toys out and she will quite happily amuse herself. Yes, of course you WANT to put all the toys away to keep the place tidy, but I say leave them out. I think if you play with Ellie before you go to sleep, you'll tire her out, and if she still wants to play, then she's got her toys to play with.

Works for me :-)

Halogen_Dusk fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 1, 2014

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Halogen_Dusk posted:

I used to have a Russian Blue female called Smokey, and she was flatbound as we were near a main road. One of the things she liked to do at around 3:30 - 4:00am was play a game called "Let's jump up on the wardrobe and launch ourselves onto Daddy". She'd jump onto the bed, scare the crap out of me, and then bolt off, wanting me to go and play with her. Of course, at 3:30am, that was exactly what I wanted to do..NOT :-)

I then got the idea of playing with her before I went to bed to really tire her out. I mean being cooped up all day would drive anyone crazy and the fact that I went to work and would come home and just wanted to relax, wasn't really in her game plan. Spending time with her though settled her down.

When I decided to move over here to the UK, I gave her to my Mum where she was able to live outside, so that nocturnal activity wasn't so much of a problem. I'd say, spend some time with Ellie, get the toys out and put them on the rug, let her know they are her toys.

Now over here, our cat Cleo loves having her toys out and she will quite happily amuse herself. Yes, of course you WANT to put all the toys away to keep the place tidy, but I say leave them out. I think if you play with Ellie before you go to sleep, you'll tire her out, and if she still wants to play, then she's got her toys to play with.

Works for me :-)

Yeah I've been doing that as well. She's ignoring most toys (like the poster above said, she's only been here a few days and probably too stressed still) but the laser pointer works. The play session went about 30 minutes of her off and on playing and laying down tired before she stopped responding. Tried a different toy (da bird) which she attacked then was scared of. Trying to find stuff she can use without me but so far the only thing she plays with is a sock full of cat nip and the laser pointer. The cat nip toy has only been used a few times tho. She gets super in to it then ignores it.

All of the other good habits are happening tho. Using the litter box for both functions without incident. Her mood seems better as well, more confident day by day. She's running and hiding less from sudden foot movement or walking.

I've also moved her to a feeding schedule and she's eating a lot more now. I think knowing that 15 minutes later the food disappears is a large motivator. Trying the play + feed before bed trick as well.

bone app the teeth fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 1, 2014

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

DressCodeBlue posted:

Does anyone know why a cat would huff packing tape glue? Because Butts seems to love the stuff more than catnip and it's kind of weird...

Cats.

My cats also seem strangely addicted to packing tape.
1 Bring home box.
2 Jump in box.
3 Chew on tape.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Well she finally destroyed something last night: some string lights. Heading to the pet store to buy a bunch of cheap toys to try to find something she'll play with. Any tips on getting her interested? Cat nip hasn't been the best motivator.

Bonus shot:

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Da Bird has worked out well for me and many others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

revtoiletduck posted:

Da Bird has worked out well for me and many others.

Yeah she's shown some interest but she's still so skittish that she runs away when I do much with it.