Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I saw a dead kitten on the road this morning. :( It had been hit by a car. Don't let your cats outside, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Paperback Writer posted:

If it were just the pouch I would agree, she’s getting kinda big everywhere and the loose skin bunching up when she sits looks a little odd. I could just be worrying too much haha. Maybe she needs a special diet.

She's growing from kitten to cat, she's going to look a little awkward and odd until she finishes growing. I'd only be concerned if she's still like that another six months to a year.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Ask for a bonded pair and take them both home at the same time.

Besides this, talk to the shelter staff. If they're worth a drat, they'll have a good handle on all the cats' personalities and habits. Whatever kind of energy and behavior you're looking for in cats, talk to the staff and ask them to recommend a cat (or preferably two!).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lady Demelza posted:

Kitties have arrived! One is sitting in the litter tray like it's a cat bed, ignoring the boxes and blankets provided.

There is a *lot* of very miserable meowing happening.

Photographic evidence would help.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Queen Victorian posted:

So I’m pretty sure Seamus is some sort of shorthaired Maine Coon - the kittens are 15 weeks and he weighed in at 6 pounds 3 ounces (my little girl Renny is a totally normal 4 pounds). My husband had a virtual game night with some buddies, one of whom is a veterinarian. Dude kept asking stuff like “and you’re SURE they’re actually from the same litter and they got the age right?” He said this kitten is comically large.

We are indeed certain of the birthdate (June 25, +- 1 day) and that they are from the same litter.

Just look at this mofo

The proof will be if he's super cuddly.

Huge, cuddly, and chill as hell are generally good indicators of Maine Coon blood. Also, usually, being incredibly fluffy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cerious posted:

Hey yall I'm considering adopting an adult cat and I'm trying to plan everything out first. I live alone in a small-ish 1b1b apartment with no pets and I've never had a cat before. My main concern with my place is that it's a bit on the smaller side and I don't have much free space. I basically can clear out my coat closet to put a litterbox in there (it doubles as the water heater closet though but thems the breaks). Then I could put up a decent size scratching post by the sofa and maybe another cat furniture tower thing in my living room, but that's basically it for room in my place. And I'm not sure if there's other furniture considerations I would also need to make either?

So basically I'm not sure if I should hold off until I move into a larger place (possibly next year if I buy a house). It seems my other friends with cats make apartments my size work, but unlike them I've kinda stuffed mine up already.

Your plans are fine, cats do fine in small spaces. What tends to be more important for cats is having places to climb and hide if they want - cat towers are popular for that because it lets them climb around and hide from a high vantage point when they want to, which is a lot of the time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If his energy is still high and he's playing like a normal kitten, you're probably fine. Just make sure he's eating mostly the kitten food (like, make sure he finishes his portion of food before stealing the adult stuff) and keep watch for any sudden changes in behavior or energy.

And if he's peeing and pooping like normal that's also a good sign. Changes in that is one of the big warning signs with cats, particularly as kittens.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm losing it. We finally bought furniture (I haven't had a couch in three years) and upgraded the cat castle. Aleta HISSED at me, which she has never done, and is now pouting nonstop. I'm afraid I ruined her personality and also we're not speaking. Thoughts??

Diagnosis: your cat is being a cat.

Cats don't like change. She'll get over it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wait 3 days. She'll probably get over it. Some cats HATE CHANGE and love drama. Be thankful she's just pouting and not screaming.

A good rule of thumb with cats is that if they're being dramatic it's nothing to worry about. Actual serious problems, cats usually try to hide and act like everything's normal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hissing and growling is inevitable - as long as it doesn't devolve into an actual fight you're fine. It's just part of the process of getting used to the new cat and establishing boundries. I think you should keep letting them interact, with your observation, for limited periods of time.

This. Everything sounds perfectly normal, and kittens are assholes who are going to get whapped in the face regularly by adult cats.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fedule posted:

Well it's years on now and Brutus, the second of my folks' three cats (about whom I've posted in this thread before) is still very weird but everyone's long settled into a happy equilibrium so mostly he's just a curiosity rather than a source of any worry. I still have absolutely no idea what his deal is, but as far as I can tell, he's got extremely particular Safe Zones (say, one particular bed) and when he's in them you are permitted to approach and pet and he's absolutely fine, he does pats, scritches, even belly rubs, purring loudly. But, if he's outside one of those, then you're obviously here to eat him, he'll maintain a minimum safe distance of at least three meters and sprint away if you linger too long (unless he wants to be let out, in which case he'll linger while you open a door, then sprint). In retrospect he was basically like this from the beginning, except his sole safe spot was hiding behind one sofa. He's enormously chilled out relative to when they got him, by which I basically just mean he's designated more safe spots.

is cat, I guess.

This is a pretty common cat thing, actually. They tend to be very territorial and very particular about where they do and do not feel comfortable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Ok, the grooming has since devolved into a slap fight, but my point stands.

kittens.txt

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phenotype posted:

I asked here before, and on Reddit, but I didn't get much of a reply: How can I get my kitten to stop picking on my dog?

Every time he sees her he just wants to pounce on her. Even if she's just sleeping in bed, he wants to come up and bat at her head. I've tried squirting him with a squirt gun when he bothers her, or picking him up and depositing him directly in cat jail (a soft zippered playpen that he sleeps in at night) but it's only seemed to teach him that he's gotta wait until the humans aren't around. And even when we ARE around, he still wants to run around and kinda half-pounce on her then zoom away before we can respond. It feels like he's playing a game -- let's see if I can attack the dog then run under the bed before I can get sprayed or thrown in jail.

The poor dog has had health problems in the past and I don't want her to have to be constantly on guard for this cat picking on her, and she's a timid, gentle little girl who doesn't want to fight with him. She's a little dog, so the kitten is starting to catch up to her in size, too. She snarls and snaps at him when he acts up, but he doesn't always run away when she does -- I think he just thinks she's playing with him. I'm not sure what we can do!

Get another kitten.

I'm serious. Kittens are assholes, and they have More Energy Than You. If you have two kittens they'll take out a lot of their energy on each other.

If you don't want a kitten who's going to relentlessly attack and annoy and play with everything and everyone... don't get a kitten. That's what they do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaworu posted:

So, I'm pretty shocked at my cat Jackie - at the age of (nearly) 15 years, which I think is fairly venerable even for a cat, she seems to have actually, well... pretty strongly bonded with this little kitten we adopted earlier back in January - we seem to have settled on the name "Li'l Romeo" for the time being - not a direct reference to the rapper, the "Li'l" is more or less optional, I think. He's easily the smallest of the four cats here (though he's getting bigger all the time) so it seems appropriate. Anyway, him and Jackie have been romping around chasing each other, tackling each other, even cuddling with each other on occasion - when Jackie doesn't immediately growl him away, not that this discourages him at all. They even eat together, head-to-head from the same bowl, and neither seems to mind :3:

Jackie's been one of those cats who mostly has "her person" whom she treats extremely affectionately, and has never had any use for other cats in particular - I mean, I was extremely pleased when I moved her that she was able to coexist with the other adult cats here at all. I did not expect her to bond with the annoying new kitten, that's for sure! I mean, I wasn't too shocked that the kitten was continuing to follow Jackie around - what surprised me was to see Jackie following Romeo around - protecting him from the other two cats when he goes upstairs into their domain, for instance.

Here's a pic of them resting between tackles:

Being a tiny kitten is probably a big factor. Adult cats tend to not see kittens as threats or competitors. Annoying little shits who need to be taught proper behavior, forcefully at times, but not competitors and rivals like other adult cats are typically seen as.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sadly not my actual cat, but I finally managed a good photo of him.

This is Dexter, the friendliest (and not coincidentally the fattest) of the cats who live on the campus of the college I work at. Photographing him is normally really hard because he usually reacts to the cell phone coming out by wrapping himself around my ankles.

My current circumstances do not permit getting a cat of my own, so I live vicariously through the friendly campus cat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, be sure to talk to the shelter staff and explain that you're looking to add a cat to a home that already has a dog. If the shelter is any good, the staff will be able to immediately show you cats that have or should get along well with dogs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah. I'd go for a cat that's around a year old. Not quite a kitten, not quite an adult, lots of energy but no longer as crazy with the claws as a zoomie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ball Tazeman posted:

I’m a new kitten owner and pretty scared/cautious. We are in a foster to adopt program with the shelter and she’s very sweet and a giant rear end in a top hat. She is 3 months old and we have been keeping her in the bathroom with all sorts of toys and food at night and when we are gone. Yesterday we set up the room we were hoping to keep her in instead, and she loved how roomy it was and played around a ton without a problem. We woke up and found all of the steel wool we had shoved in the baseboard heater access panels (stopping the mice from coming up from the basement) strewn about the floor. I have no idea how she got to them, they were shoved way the hell down by the piping. Also two days ago she hid behind the toilet until I finished peeing to jump in for a swim, so we had to attempt a kitten bath at midnight. Very fun.

Anyway, I just wanted to share in the misadventures we’ve already had and try not to be so anxiety ridden over her. We play with her for hours every night and love cuddling. She can be handled like a ragdoll. We love her. We did notice she has one goobery eye and a little mole/scab on her nostril but they said they will check it out when she gets some shots on Sunday.

Bolded the reason for your misadventures. Welcome to having a kitten.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Buff Hardback posted:

Re collar: both of mine are 100% indoor cats, and I always keep collars on. It’s minimal extra effort, but if they make it outside, anyone who sees them immediately knows they’re pets.

This is my stance on cats with collars. It's just an extra layer of precaution in case the cat escapes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, warning you now: you will not be able to keep that kitten contained. They are fast and surprisingly creative.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VelociBacon posted:

She's super full of energy and loves playing with the toys we picked up for about an hour and then she passes out hard for another hour.

You appear to have a kitten in good working order.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VelociBacon posted:

This cat alternates between these two states seemingly every 1.5 hours and there is only about 5 minutes of transition between them.

This is perfectly normal for a kitten. :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ball Tazeman posted:

This kitten is insane and I have no way of “training her” to stay off of things. Double sided tape she jumps over or eats. Aluminum foil she ignores or eats. I bought that plastic mat with the nubs on the back and flipped it over. Well she decided that the nubs are fun to chew and lay on. Literally nothing deters this cat from anything.

Diagnosis: is a kitten.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For the goon looking at getting a cat: I cannot stress enough that you should keep your cat toys cheap until you figure out what they like. Cats are capricious, arbitrary, mercurial little creatures, and while they try very hard with what few brain cells they have sometimes there's just not one available.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

How me maintain floof tho

Is cat.

More seriously, cats don't have particularly well defined breeds like dogs. He absolutely looks like a Persian, just not on the extreme end of the inbred flat faced look. Might be a Persian that can actually breathe, might be a mix. In any event, it's a cat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaworu posted:

I feel like I had some good luck that when we adopted Mini-Scratcher (he was almost full-grown already at about 6 months but very much a kitten still) he immediately attached himself to my 15-year-old cat Jackie - I’ve never seen anything like it it was as if they were an immediate bonded pair - at least as far as Mini was concerned. Took Jackie a few months to catch up.

This is pretty common with cats, fortunately. :) Introducing two full grown cats to each other is always a chancy business, but an adult cat with a kitten usually goes much better. Most cats are incredibly tolerant of a new kitten showing up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I've heard among cat colonies it's not uncommon for one cat to watch another's kittens

I wonder if it's easier to introduce a kitten because they assume it's just a new baby that's part of the family now, rather than a foreign cat from outside the household

It's not uncommon for cats in colonies with nursing kittens to nurse another cat's kittens. The best guess is that the cats themselves loose track of whose kitten is whose and the kittens themselves neither know nor care, they're just hungry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My parents have a six month old kitten. Pictured helping my dad fold laundry, with protection for my dad's privacy.

My mom found a reputable breeder of Siamese cats for show who keeps getting occasional long-hairs that he puts up for sale as pets.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/danielleweisber/status/1589700830361694210

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Your kitten is going to massacre native wildlife for fun, and probably going to get sick and hurt a lot, and almost certainly is going to die in under five years.

Assuming someone doesn't just wisely kidnap it and give it a better, purely indoors life.

Do not let your cats outside.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

knox_harrington posted:

This is an extremely dumb take

Big birds, like great horned owls, can and will take domestic cats - especially kittens.

There are people who will kill feral cats, especially people who own livestock like chickens that cats will actively seek out and kill.

Cats especially love to massacre small birds.

Disease and poisons are rife outdoors, such as if your cat kills and eats a mouse or bird that had been poisoned by vermicides or ate something with herbicides. Those chemicals don't just go away from the digestive tract.

There are people who will kidnap your cat.

You are objectively giving your cat a shorter, worse life by letting them outdoors.

knox_harrington posted:

Correct, but it does cover making stupid nonsense up like they will definitely die in 5 years.

I do appreciate the well meaning advice where given, even though it's not on the subject I was asking. The hyperbolic stuff less so.

You are going to get your cat hurt and probably killed. If you care about your cat, keep it indoors.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

knox_harrington posted:

Cats really really like being outdoors, my other cat already goes outdoors, I don't live somewhere that has Great Cat-Eating Owls, and most importantly I don't need goon permission to do something totally normal and pretty safe in the area I live.

Congratulations on giving your cats shorter, more painful lives assuming someone doesn't just decide hey, free kitty.

Just because it's normal doesn't mean it's right.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

knox_harrington posted:

and the nearest great horned owls are thousands of kilometers away.

So you have Eurasian eagle owls instead, which are even bigger than great horned owls.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
At least it's not a maremma that's going to end up biting a kid this time?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You'd really think a guy proudly touting how he's a scientist would have a vocabulary that includes the word 'almost,' but here we are.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Can someone help me identify what kinda cats I adopted? They were super creamy with faint markings when I got them, but after a year one has started turning all colours, even ginger. I thought they'd just have their markings darken slightly, but this is like having a whole new cat.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

You appear to have cats.

Outside of extreme physiological outliers like Persians, Siamese, and Munchkins, cat 'breeds' are very poorly defined.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Obfuscation posted:

My cat does not like it when I try to clip her nails but she loves our new game where I try to hold her in my lap and she escapes by wriggling vigorously. Any good ideas? I’ve tried towel but she escapes those too and I can’t get a second person to help since she is afraid of anyone who isn’t me.

Elastic hair ties worked for one of the cats I had growing up, using them like more durable rubber bands to basically hog tie his legs together to make escape difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Khizan posted:

A family friend found a kitten after a storm and couldn’t keep her.

All the shelters were full and wouldn’t take her, so I have a kitten now.

Vet says four weeks old. She is so terrifyingly tiny. The itty bittiest cat.

In at least one place in the world, they call kittens at that age, with the little tail sticking straight up like that, 'bumper car kittens.'