Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Diogines posted:

I am going to have to leave my cat alone for a week. I know this is not ideal, I know this is a bad thing to do, I do not have a choice. I have someone who can come in a true emergency if I ask them to but otherwise they will be on their own. I want to repeat that I know this is a bad thing to do and I would avoid it if I could, I have never done something like this before and don't plan to ever do it again.

I already feed them from an automatic feeder, it has a battery backup and I am setting up ANOTHER separate one as a backup if somehow the first one breaks, I will alternate meals between the two so if somehow one of the machines breaks my cat will at least get half their food.

I am setting up some webcams so I can see if there are any problems.

One problem I need to resolve is water. A big bowl of water is obviously a terrible idea so I need to buy some kind of fountain or other device, I will probably buy two so I have a backup and to be sure they have enough water. There are a million such products online and looking through them I am having difficulty making a decision, can anyone suggest a model or a brand they like?

Thank you for your help.

Is a cat sitter app like Meowtel not an option?

If not, I would HIGHLY recommend having someone check in on them if you can. Ideally every day, but even every other day if not. I know you say someone can come "in a true emergency"... But, well, this sounds like a true emergency, to be honest.

FYI, everyone who owns a pet should ALWAYS have a friend or family member they can trust to take care of their pets on short notice. I consider it a requirement for having any sort of pet. For me, I've already got a friend who pet sits for money who is my #1 first go-to, we've got the other volunteers from our foster org, and Meowtel as a last resort.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Would you want to drink water that’s been sitting out in a pan for a week? That would probably make the cat sick. At least the water is circulating and going through a filter with the fountain.

Yeah, I don't have a fountain because they always break really quickly on me, but I change the water and swap the bowl for a clean one daily. We do have 4 cats drinking out of ours so it gets gross a bit sooner than with one cat, but those little fuckers like to dip their litter-caked paws in there so I'd still do it even with 1 cat.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I have a litter robot 3 and love it. With the caveat that it had a major technical issue that required a warranty exchange, but since then it's worked great.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I should probably try those, I've been lazy and just been using standard tall kitchen bags. It gets full every 2 days with 4 cats, although that varies based on how many fosters we have at the time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd change the water at least every other day no matter what, cuz my cats like to dunk their paws in the water.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

In the absence of any other changes, my best guess is that the cat that was outside smelled different and that upset the other cat. Some cats don't care at all about situations like that, and some are super sensitive and a seemingly minor change will set them off. There's not much you can do other than just wait it out.

Otherwise, watch for other personality changes in both cats. One (or both) might be hiding some pain or illness, cats are really good at that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's very common for cats not to eat for a few days when they are in a new, scary environment. He'll be fine - if he still hasn't eaten after ~3ish days, then you should be concerned. Having the same food he ate at the shelter is a good idea too, depending on the cat - some are very picky, some don't care and will eat whatever, some may have stomach issues switching food suddenly.

If he's hiding, just make sure the food, water, and litterbox are within sight of his hiding spot and make sure there are times when no one is around so he can come out and eat/drink when he feels safe. Offer treats when he's starting to get more bold around you.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

He's been a mix of hiding and running around. Particularly doing the zoomies when I'm trying to GODDAMN SLEEP!

He's been accepting my touch, which is good, but I've got a small enough space that stuff is packed in almost every corner for him to hide in if he wants. Someone suggested putting the food and water in a semi-hidden spot. He was hiding under my bed when he first got here last night so I think I'll put the food and water there, not enough room for the litter box so I'll leave it where it is.

Sounds like he should be fine. He'll eat eventually - even cats that stay terrified for weeks in a new place will sneak out and eat at some point.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You've only had him a week, give him some more time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

With a kitten that small found out in the street, don't delay doing a vet appt if you haven't already.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joburg posted:

I have a goat named Itty Bitty because she was sooo tiny when we got her. Now she’s huge. Choose a name very carefully!

That just makes it funnier

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That's for sure. I've been lucky enough to have the mother cat on hand for foster kittens that young.

You've also got her at the perfect age to socialize with other people and bond with you. Make sure to regularly bring friends over to meet her, and you'll have a real outgoing friendly cat.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The best bet is to get an adult cat! You can see their personality ahead of time. And don't just stick to human societies and cat cafes - local volunteer foster groups might have some great adoptable cats that can't tolerate being in an adoption center. I've got two right now just like that - one is still a bit scared, but the other is super sweet and affectionate and would make an amazing solo cat. (If you're in San Diego and looking for a cat, let me know here, btw!)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Black cats best cats

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Karia posted:

Anyone have toy suggestions that Anna can play with while I'm at work? I feel bad leaving her by herself, especially since my current place doesn't have a good view to watch for birds or whatever. I've given her a few catnip mice but she hasn't really reacted to them.

(And for the record yes I'd like to get a second cat, but since I'm moving in a couple months and Anna is still adjusting to being indoors I'd rather hold off on that for the moment.)

I've seen my cats self-play with foil balls, kitty kickers, and those ball-track cat toys. It really depends on the cat's preference. Although unless your cat is a kitten, they're probably just fine being home alone all day.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, cats are most active in the morning and afternoon/evening, which coincidentally is when most people happen to be home. They usually sleep the rest of the time (although one of my cats likes to hunt toys in the middle of the night).

You do sometimes get cats with separation anxiety, of course, but that's not the norm.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

Cats don't usually like going new places unless they're exceptionally brave and adventurous. The usual process is to get a thing based on existing observations (scratching carpet? Scratching furniture? Which textures?) and hope your money hasn't just been wasted (it probably has been lol).

That really doesn't hold true for kittens. They might be a little scared and hissy for like the first few hours in a new place, but pretty quickly they want to explore and discover every inch of it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My Spirit Otter posted:

What is Gus doing here? is he grooming Maggie? i cant quite tell what this lil dude is trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEjqdmCmc0Q

sorry for the lovely video

That's definitely him trying to nurse. Totally normal for a kitten, but obviously you shouldn't encourage it on another creature. Kittens will sometimes try to suckle littermates or themselves, you need to watch and make sure they don't hurt each other. I recommend redirecting him to a very soft blanket or stuffed toy when he does that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hyperlynx posted:

You say your cat is a fatass, I understand it to mean your cat is a fatass. I can't see inside your head, and text has no tone of voice or facial expression. I don't know you from a hole in the ground, I have no frame of reference for when you might be joking and when you might be serious.

All I've got is what you wrote, nothing more and nothing less.

Good to hear you're taking care of your cat.

:catstare:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Heh when you have 3 cats and X fosters like us, you just buy the cheapest wet food you can, and if they don't like it, WELP guess you'll just eat the dry food, buddy!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I had a scare with one of our cats who ran outside with no one noticing. Usually she just lounges for a few minutes and then we bring her back inside, but this time we had several hours of Ring camera footage of her running back and forth terrified trying to get back in :( there were even a few dog walkers that went by that she had to hide from.

I'm just glad it was in the daytime, as we're in coyote territory...!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Obfuscation posted:

Am I overreacting when I'm worried about my cat even though she hasn't displayed any actual symptoms of something being wrong? She all of a sudden started meowing really loudly and continuously for almost an hour straight today, which is very uncharacteristic of her.

That's way more likely to be asking for attention or announcing her presence to the world than any indication of pain. One of my cats caterwauls in the middle of the night after hunting and killing her foil balls, and then deposits them in our room (meowing the whole time while carrying them). And she's normally pretty quiet in general otherwise.

While it's still good to be cautious of any change in personality, what you want to watch out for is if she stops eating as much, throws up more often, starts hiding in a closet or under a bed regularly, stops cleaning herself, has a sudden personality change to be hostile, doesn't like being touched in certain spots, poops/pees outside the litterbox, or if she strains to poop/pee. Cats are VERY subtle about pain, and often it can be too late when you notice a major change.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

My cats meow regularly, but mostly at each other or in rooms where they are alone and doing god knows what. Sometimes they do the plaintative meow that also means "help I've managed to get stuck" but half the time they are just sitting in the middle of the room doing nothing, its weird.

That plaintive meow is just the default for one of our cats, usually right at bedtime because he wants to cuddle between us, in the morning because he wants attention and more cuddles, or because he is currently in the process of getting attention and wants you to know he wants you to keep giving him attention.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

jimmychoo posted:

some of you dont have rat bastards and it shows

Oh man some of these are scary accurate to my cats... With the exception of one that needs a few categories combined:

Rose Quartz (foster): Distinguished Baby
So sweet and gentle, loves attention and loves everyone. Very chill and submissive with other cats.

Batman (right): True Distinguished
Very sweet, but prefers to hang back and let others get attention first. Defacto household groomer. Majestic fur. Shoulder ride king.

Bug (middle): True Baby
Must sleep with/on my wife every night and loudly demands it. Tolerates me sleeping there too I guess. Initially scared of strangers. He and Batman will try to groom each other at the same time, which inevitably becomes a wrestling match at some point.

Quinn (left): Distinguished Rat Baby Bastard
Super affectionate and demands attention loudly from us and strangers alike (when she feels like it). Refuses to ever use the litterbox, but has compromised on the washable puppy pad I put in front of it. Eats plastic like it's manna from heaven. Bullies Rose and any other foster cats. Demands grooming from Batman but will never, ever reciprocate. Bigger and stronger than either of our boy cats (she's a girl). Is pure confidence and does not give a gently caress.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've had several litters of foster kittens and I've never noticed the baby teeth on the ground. I guess I get them with the vacuum?