Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Badera posted:

Here's a picture. I can chase him down and take another if necessary.

Dear god, he is massive! I want more pictures just because he is so delightfully chubby. But that is definitely going to be a strain on his health, and the pooping problems is just a symptom of his overall obesity and inability to clean himself. As I said previously, he needs to get moving around, even if its just him chasing a rod for a minute a few times a day. If hes really into food, get him some healthy high protein snacks like freeze dried (or fresh) chicken/turkey/shrimp which are very low calorie, and use that to get him motivated for play. As for the diet though, I don't really know what to say. If he's actually only eating 250 cal per day, he should be losing weight, slowly. How long has he been on the diet with no change? It might be time to see another vet, they could either be missing something medically, or may have better options for you. I am honestly worried about the big guy, that extra weight is going to take its toll sooner than later.

Tamarillo posted:

Speaking of weight and cats, are there any ways to make a cat GAIN weight? Hugo is still an incredibly slender ~9lb, and I'd say under his fluff he is probably about a 3/10 on the little "how porky is your cat" body mass scale. He lost a pound when we went on holiday and he was being cat-sat, and he never put the weight back on. He's free fed Go! dry and short of shovelling food down his throat I don't really know how to make him eat more given he is able to eat whenever he feels like eating. I tried loading up his wet food with some dry food to boost the calorie intake, but he only likes licking the liquid off the wet food and ignores the meat/dry stuff.

Can you get a good side shot of him? The actual weight doesn't matter all that much with a cat, you're going to want to look more towards the ribs and abdomen. Though its a little worrying that he lost weight, and lost weight that quickly. Sometimes it can take a cat a few months to a year to lose a lb. Have you been to the vet since the weight loss occurred or has anything else changed recently in his personality and activity? Aside from that, you might need to resort to more cat-crazy alternatives. Like cooking him up some chicken and rice, or finding SOMETHING that he'll go crazy over. Every cat has a one food that they will just kill for, so it might be a matter of finding that food/brand/what have you.

Heres a good chart to give you an idea of healthy weight.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Ohh gosh, Burmese are so handsome. We have a 10 year old Burmese at the shelter named Keeper and he's so vocal and loving.

I would check out this article: http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

Just ignore the bullshit about his "flower essences". The rest is all great advice to go by. Mainly by feeding them between a door, site swapping, and taking it slowly.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

JustJeff88 posted:

So far, I've looked at this one and this one.

Sifting is "ok", but don't get the roll and clean one. It's gross, you are basically just rolling piss and poo poo all over the walls of it. I do not like automated litter boxes very much, for a whole host of reasons, some related to mechanical failures, some related to the visible health (droppings) of your cat, and others related to a cats natural litter habits/scent marking. I would just go for a covered box that is scoopable, if you're trying to prevent accidents in the box. As far as privacy, your cat can care less about you staring at its butthole, and you need to be careful because they can be picky about the enclosures. Keep out an open box at the same time to avoid any accidents in the beginning.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Dienes posted:

He's also against 'obsessively cleaning your cat's litter box,' which seems like a good way to end up with cats pooping outside of the box.

I don't think he meant leaving the litter in there for a week. He meant not scooping it, washing it, etc. 10 times a day. I scoop out mine every morning, for a single cat, and it's never been an issue. But obviously all cats are different and some might be more picky than others. Anyway, I think the point hes trying to make is that people get way too weird about litter boxes in their house when its really not a big deal.

JustJeff88 posted:

I could be imagining this, but I switched food recently from Wellness CORE Grain-Free Kitten to this here, which isn't as good but seemed quite good - I take the grain-free thing very seriously.

My trio took to this new food just fine and I haven't seen any poo problems. I haven't changed how I feed them (free feed dry, wet twice a day with a dental treat for afters) but this food seems to be going really, really fast. I've gone through 6 pounds of a 12-pound bag in about as much time as it took me to go through 2 or 3 pounds of a 5lb14oz bag of Wellness. It could be that they just like that food more and eat more, but is it possible that this stuff just isn't as filling so they eat more to feel satisfied? For those of you who don't buy it, Wellness foods are very rich... the wet food is really dense and has a strong odour, and the dry food is also very fragrant and dense. I'm just wondering if I'm imagining things, because if I'm not I'm going back to Wellness even though the bastards don't make the kitten formula in 12 pound bags and I end up paying twice the amount per pound in buying the smaller bags.

You can buy Wellness core grain free adult bags for around the same price at http://www.amazon.com/Wellness-Food-Original-Recipe-12-Pound/dp/B001BOVE54/ it seems.

But to answer your question, it's probably not the brands. You switched from a kitten formula to an adult formula, so the adult formula is going to be less dense and less calories. Kittens under a year require more calories than adults since they burn up so much energy and are constantly growing. Aside from just being out to rip us off, I imagine thats part of the reason for the smaller bags. But poo poo, I wouldn't pay 26 dollars for a 5 pound bag either, that's insane. I pay around 18 dollars for a 5 lb bag of blue buffalo wilderness kitten and thats already too much. Don't ask what I spend on the wilderness wet food though.. I might be changing that soon to another grain free wet brand because $1.20-$1.50 per mini-can is a bit ridiculous.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

duckfarts posted:

Um, based on that video, he'd be against that litter box because it's automated and not because it's a roll box; the "poo poo all over the walls" would actually be a good thing rather than bad because it "smells like him/her". He's against automated litter technology(not litter itself) because "you won't be as engaged in your cat's life"(less sensible reason imo) and "you may not be as alert to any health changes in your cat". That second one is more reasonable, but I don't think having an automated box means you won't be cleaning it out and can't check for weird poops from your cat. His rationale for not toilet training(note: this is training to use an actual toilet) is kinda dumb; I think you can try and toilet train your cat if you want so long as you know it's not a guaranteed thing that's going to happen and you're prepared to live with/clean up the consequences of failure because they'll be your fault, not the cat's.

That's not at all true. Cat's don't enjoy the scent of their own poo poo or they wouldn't bury it. They like their own scent, from their cheeks, paws, etc. They rarely mark things with poo poo unless its extreme territorial anxiety. And as far as the poo poo and piss on the walls go, its not so much about the cat, its that people buy them to be more sanitary when its actually a lot more gross than a scoopable litter box.

As for toilet training, I made a post a page or so ago about how loving stupid it is, so I won't bother to re-type it here, but god drat, its stupid. I don't agree with Jackson on a lot of things, mostly on his spiritual garbage and essence products. But he's right about litter and how silly it is when humans try to make their cats conform to their own desires on things which go against their very nature.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 16, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

huh, you know. My cat had stinky breath also when teething. I never considered that was the reason. I never had the double fang though. Also, for teething kitties I highly recommend these: http://www.amazon.com/Petstages-Dental-Health-Chews-pair/dp/B0009YF3KY/ Helped a lot with getting her to chew something other than my arm and wires.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Tamarillo posted:

This is also the noise some cats make when they want to announce they have hunted something. It is very distinctive and is usually our cue to go rescue the mouse or bird or vegetable or bread product (and once a tiny Persian kitten) that our cats have caught or found outside. Decoy has a green toy mouse he will trumpet about sometimes as well. She just wants to tell you about what a Great Hunter she is!

Exactly, it's the most :3: thing. Though a bit annoying if its in the middle of the night. My cat is VERY vocal with her prey, and it sounds like she's whining when she does it. She'll grab her mouse in the kitchen, start whining loudly and then chirping as she runs over to my bed to drop it next to me. She also drowns her prey, sometimes before dropping it on my lap at midnight, ugh. She gets angry and starts mewing at me if I don't throw it so she can play fetch.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing that gets to me about My Cat From Hell, is that 90% of the issues would be solved if those people would pay attention to their cats.

That's basically what every episode is, he tells people to play with their cats. I don't get why so many people think cats just want to be left alone to do their own thing. Hell, I read reddit pets sometimes for laughs and probably 90% of the problems there with cats are due to not interacting with them. "Why does my cat run around the house and attack me." x100 times a day. aka lazy poo poo owners don't spend 30 minutes a day having their kitten chase something, so they get little energy bombs that go off and attack them in the middle of the night. You don't need to be a cat behaviorist to help most cats, you just need to make people realize their cat needs some loving attention.

Holy poo poo, there was one episode of my cat from hell that really got me laughing. I think it was the only episode Jackson had no idea what to do, some chick was dressing her dogs and the cat, and walking her dogs in a stroller and washing their feet after walks. It was insane. Pet owners turn their cats into cats from hell. I do like the show though, even if its trash TV, its pretty much the only cat show on tv.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

^^^ Do people really have that much loving trouble closing the toilet?

Ema Nymton posted:

One episode went like this:

:mad: Jackson, Kitty won't behave at the cat show and scratches the judges!
:catstare: gently caress this poo poo!
:reject: Lady, your cat doesn't want to be a show cat.

Since the SA forums makes a cameo on the show, it is also the best show on TV ever

Holy poo poo, never even knew about that. I saw that episode too. I'm going to need to re-watch it now because I somehow missed that shot.

Yea, the show cat episode was hilarious, probably my favorite actually. Seeing them wrestle that cat into a bag like a violent prisoner, and the entire time Jackson just looks completely speechless. I was waiting for that cat to tear a judge a new rear end in a top hat.

DressCodeBlue posted:

Cat goons, I need advice on weight loss. I've never had an obese cat before and don't really know much about safe rates.

Butts has gone from 14.5 pounds when I adopted him in early September to 10.5 now. He's just as active as he's ever been and still has the ridonculous muscletone of a former stud. He's definitely eating, just not a lot (way less than my last cat, but she was always very skinny). His teeth and gums are great, no bad breath. He also scarfs up crappy cat treats like nobody's business. Drinking and peeing normal amounts. I've tried a few different cat foods and bowls, and he still pretty much just nibbles.

He is due for his physical and vaccinations in a month, but do you think I should move it up? Or just monitor his weight more closely? I'm guessing by his frame his current weight is probably optimal.

Can you post a side shot of him if possible? 4 pounds is quite a lot for a cat to lose, but maybe he was heavy before? Was he at a shelter with free feeding?

JayJay fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 17, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Ok, advice needed for my friend's cat.

He apparently eats Blue Buffalo indoor cat food (the hairball management stuff), but he apparently also has kidney issues with struvite crystals?

My friend has been thinking of moving him to a wet food to see if that helps since he flat out refuses to eat the vet diet stuff or anything else. The only wet food he liked they quit making (Natural Life Turkey & Chicken Entree).

So, can anyone recommend a few good brands of food that would be something close to the natural life stuff? Even the blue buffalo wet version of the turkey/chicken is ignored.

Also, best stuff to clean the carpet with. There's clumps of litter kinda buried into the fiber, so he needs to clean anyway but thought he'd tackle 2 things at once (cleaning the carpet and getting rid of the cat pee smell).

Thanks for any advice.

http://www.amazon.com/Fizzion-Empty-Spray-Bottle-Refills/dp/B009Z0TQNS/ is supposed to be pretty great for cat pee, but I have not had to use it yet.

As for the food, not sure what you can do aside from buying 5 or 6 different brands and just seeing which one he'll eat. Was natural life a big solid block of meat, or was it flaked/pieces? Blue buffalo has a few different sub-brands, normal, spa, wilderness, etc. and some of the chicken/turkey has different textures.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Josh Lyman posted:

1) How do you guys clean your cats' teeth? Is the watter additive stuff good or do I need to try to apply the gel stuff to their teeth directly? :gonk: Maybe these "dental" greenies will do the trick? http://www.amazon.com/Feline-Greenies-Roasted-Chicken-5-5-Ounce/dp/B008PNN8C6/

2) Is World's Best Cat Litter really that much better than standard Tidy Cats?

3) Any recommendations for carriers? Leo is ~12.5 lbs and CJ is ~8.5 lbs. I assume hard is better than soft side, so I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062JFGM0/

1) Not sure about that, I wonder myself because I have not done it yet. (10 month old kitten) And her breath can sometimes get a bit stinky. I already have to restrain her for claw clippings and I doubt shes going to take kindly to teeth cleaning.

2) No, they are both great in my experience. I use tidy cats though because my cat doesn't mind the smell (Glade) and it keeps the litter box quite fresh, clumps quickly, and never had any problems sticking. Also I bought 220lbs of it on sale black friday for $7.50/case so I have litter for like a year for under 45 dollars.

3) That one will be really good, the top loader is so much easier than a front loader. I have to wrestle my cat into my front loader.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Devonaut posted:

Who will meow over my phone calls now? (backing track)

Who will puke on my carpet now? I mean, I had some drinks tonight (in his honor) but I'm not that far gone.

It's really sad to think that some cats live to 18, 19...but my guy only made it to 11.

A sad day, but when I'm ready to adopt again, I hope my next cat will benefit from the lessons I learned from my first.

RIP Dingus. Stalking deer in heaven now.

Be right back, hugging my cat.

:sympathy:

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

ch3cooh posted:

The definition of a cat being an rear end in a top hat

Yea, that's pretty dick, but my cat would have knocked over the glass with a headbutt just to be a gently caress.

That is adorable though. :3:

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Pollyanna posted:

I'm worried that Jet's not taking being around my family very well. My brother and sister keep picking him up a lot and I know that bothers the hell out of him (I try not to do it very often. emphasis on the "try") and he's started to run away from us whenever we come around to pet him :( Is he gonna be permanently pissed off at me now, or will he get over it? How do I get him to come out of his shell a little?

Also he doesn't sleep on my bed at all anymore :cry: I mean, the one at my parents' house is a twin bed from when I was like 11, so it's way small - but he's not even on it when it's empty. I miss my bed kitty :( At least he sleeps under it when I'm in my room and when I'm sleeping...

Are you just visiting or did you move? Most cat's do not do well with territory change so he's probably completely overwhelmed. Sleeping with you would leave him vulnerable and he doesn't trust the new environment yet. As for the picking up, you need to put a stop to that if you can. He's not going to be pissed off at you unless its a permanent thing, cat's are pretty forgiving. If its a permanent move then you need to give him something he can own, like a cat tree or bed near you.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Soooo, like the crazy rear end in a top hat I am, I adopted a little orange kitty on Monday. I was working with him at the SPCA for a few months now, he had been returned 3 times because idiots don't understand that he wasn't socialized as a kitten and needs lots of time to come out from his shell. After the third return, I had to take him. He is the sweetest thing in the world once I have him in my arms, he just nuzzles the crap out of my face. But when he's not, he hides in a corner usually and hisses. He's not aggressive though AT ALL, so it's kind of humorous. Ive never seen him bite or scratch someone, even if you go in to pet him as he hisses.

So anyway, that wasn't at all the point.

I've been introducing him slowly in my apartment to my new cat, I set up a "Base camp" for him after clearing out my giant closet and fed them between the door for a few nights, only allowing one glimpse between the two which just resulted in some normal hissing. He has been doing rather well, he hides under my bed most of the time, or behind his litter box, but for three weeks I tried to get him to play at the shelter unsuccessfully and in only one day I had him out and chasing a toy rod. :3:

Sooo, of course, cat's dont loving respect your plans. And today I left for work and apparently my bedroom door didn't click closed. I got home for lunch and noticed my black little brat Nymeria was out and about, with the bedroom door cracked open and orange kitty Petey was missing. I found him under the couch. No pee or poop anywhere, and neither of them were bloodied. So 3 hours without supervision and they didn't murder eachother! Of course, this wasn't my plan at all and I didn't want them to meet until tomorrow, but cats. Today im going to try and feed them together with the door cracked open, and tomorrow is going to be the real introduction. I am prepared for lots of hissing and hiding.

Here he is.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

chronofx posted:

Today, I adopted a pair of rescued kittens who were abandoned by their mother around 5-6 weeks (they're currently ~9 weeks old). They lived with a rescue family for ~3 weeks and according to the family were starting to become more friendly / comfortable with them by the time I adopted them. I have them set up in my bathroom in the same crate they had at their rescue family's home, same food, same litterbox / litter, and same blanket from the old place. So far they seem very shy if not downright afraid of me. From everything I've read, it sounds like this is completely normal, but I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to acclimate them to their new environment and help them to socialize properly.

I tried hanging out on the floor of the bathroom, lying down to show I'm non-threatening, but they seem quite scared of me (hiding in back of crate, hissing a bit if I go closer to the crate than the bathroom door). My friend who was over earlier was much more successful, she actually got them to play a bit with one of their toys from inside their crate. Not sure if it's just me that's the problem (I'm a pretty big guy, she's quite petite).

In good news, they are using their litterbox, eating their food, and drinking water!

Completely normal. The fact that they are eating, drinking and pooping is a very good sign. The best thing you can do is to get them playing, though they are still a little young for crazy-kitten play. I would pick up a rod toy though, and get them chasing it around if you can. (http://www.amazon.com/GoCat-Bird-Feather-Assorted-Colors/dp/B001BOVEU4/ is a cat miracle toy) I have a scaredy at home right now, but the only time he isn't worried about everything around him is when he is in full on chase mode with a toy. He just forgets all the fear. Hissing is pretty normal and will go on for a couple of days or weeks. Just test the limits, see if they actually swipe at you after the hiss or if its just talk. Mine hisses but will let me go right in and pet him, and then goes into purr mode immediately after. Size does matter to them, you can try to kind of curl up in the corner of the bathroom and make yourself "smaller" so to speak, just blink slowly and calmly at them to show you aren't a threat, don't stare them down.

In my own news, new orange kitty is very playful, but meeting the old black kitty is not going so well. Lot's of hissing and angry growls, I tried to feed them in view of eachother last night and it went very poorly. Now old black kitty is now refusing to eat and play because of the stress of new orange kitty. I feel really bad about it. But I have off the next five days so tonight will be the first night I don't separate them in rooms. I think if black kitty has access to the bedroom again she will be a lot happier. The good news is I actually slept from 10pm to 4am without orange going crazy, and then I sat with him for an hour and went into the living room to sleep with black kitty until 7:30 am. Most sleep ive gotten in a week. :woop:

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Engineer Lenk posted:

If you already know your black kitty is stressed beyond being able to eat, why are you rushing intros? Let them chill in their respective rooms for a week, scent swap and then try feeding in proximity again.

Well, the problem is that I have a small apartment. And I think part of the reason she's stressed is because she can't be in the bedroom all day long, at at night if I lock him out he constantly hits at the door which stresses her more. I know that the orange kitty is just going to hide for now if he is out, so it seems like re-opening the house to her may be a big help. When he originally got out of my room and they were alone for 3 hours she was fine. The problem is, orange kitty wasn't socialized, and black kitty has a very low stress threshold. (Her sister came back to our shelter 2 lbs underweight and missing patches of hair because they had loud annoying children.) So right now I am mostly thinking about black kitty first, because I feel terrible that I am causing her stress and everything was really great before. I've been feeding them between doors for a week now with very limited sight, and scent/site swapped as well as I could. But I am not sure I am going to be able to keep them apart for another week in my 1br apartment.

The good news is I have 5 days off starting later today, so ill really be able to focus on them.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 27, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

I really don't have any problem with tidy cats, been using it for a while now. Plus I got 220 lbs of it for 45 dollars on black friday. I use the glade scent, and it hides the smell extremely well. It really doesn't have much dust unless its the bottom of the bucket. And as for stray litter, it's just something i've given up on trying to control, it happens with all litter. (Maybe not the pine pellet crap, but ive met too many cats that won't use the stuff, including mine.) I vacuum once a day and it's really not an issue, most of it is caught by the litter mat, and a few stray pieces make their way a few feet from the box, not the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Lareine posted:

I just recently got a new kitten. Her name is Pixel and she is pretty much the model kitten. The problem is with the other cats. One in particular, Aika, is what you'd term a bully. She always used to harass and push around our older cat. We've tried to introduce the cats to the new kitten slowly, using scent swapping and room swapping and gradually having supervised visits with each other. Aika has taken up bullying little Pixel whenever the opportunity arises. She doesn't act overly perturbed at the beginning of the interaction but eventually she starts staring and stalking the kitten, trying to corner her and attempting to attack her. The kitten is quite terrified of her and tries to take refuge with us or in a house plant. It's gotten to the point that Pixel gets quite nervous when not in her room. My mom is getting very frustrated even though it's only been 18 days since we got her. Any tips to help us stop Aika terrorizing the kitten aside from segregation?

Well, there's really no one way that is guaranteed to work. If you are not already, I would probably separate them for a few days and start fresh. I would try to get something like a gocat rod (amazon) with a feather chaser. It sounds like Aika would go crazy over it, having something to stalk and hunt. (Drag it slowly across the floor to let her hunt, don't only swing it around and have her chase it) Play with her for a few days, getting her used to chasing and killing the feather. Then slowly introduce the kitten into play, but keep Aikas attention on the feather chaser. Hopefully at some point Pixel will be able to take turns with Aika, and Aika will be tiring out from play. If you can get Aika to the point where she's on her side panting like a dog, she won't have the energy left to stalk Pixel. Make sure after each play session you pamper Aika with love and treats, hopefully she'll associate play, and Pixel, with a positive feeling. Of course, it's entirely up to Aika in the end, some cats... ya know. You can use this same approach with any activity though, including feeding time. Anything Aika "enjoys" should be done with pixel around so she associates positive things with kittens.

Dr. Derek posted:

So today at work I found a sick and injured kitten that was basically screaming it's head off near a doorway.
Poor thing couldn't even walk right so I ended up bringing it inside and calling someone I know to take her to a vet.

Vet said she has a broken pelvis and ankle, a respiratory infection, was starving and dehydrated and was going into shock by the time the vet got to see her. Thankfully she seems to be doing better now after getting a chance to eat and sleep in a quiet environment.

Oh my gosh, I wanna see this kitten all healthy and adorable in a few days. :pray:

JayJay fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 19, 2014