Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TMMadman posted:

Also please don't forget to consider getting an older cat who doesn't get along with other cats. Those types of cats occasionally show up at shelters and can have a hard time finding a home.

The bonus is that while those cats often don't play with toys, they are usually extremely chill around people and just want cuddle and get petted.

That's why we picked Sweetheart. She was so grumpy and standoff-ish around other cats and lots of noise that the rescue group was asked to no longer bring her to adoption events. :( She'd been with the same foster for like ~4 years before we adopted her because every time she went to an adoption event she'd hiss and cower and generally be unenjoyable to be around.

A year later she sleeps with me and the girlfriend in bed sometimes and is a lovely companion in ways that her foster constantly says she never did before. :3: Her favorite is napping on my tummy while I play video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, you guys might be right about that. One problem I've had in redirecting him is that he largely ignores the sisal/jute rope that most scratching posts use and won't go for the textured cardboard either. He's pretty enthusiastic about the shag carpeting at the base of his little crow's nest though, so I might see about getting a few carpet swatches for him to destroy.

Sounds like Sweetheart. She only rarely goes after sisal and doesn't like cardboard at all, but boy howdy she loves going after the carpet wrapped poles on her cat tree.

She also has an old ottoman that she gets to scratch and nap on.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sweetheart would rather just sleep under our bed instead of in it with us. :iiam: She can jump up just fine, she's done it before, but it's really uncommon.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Carl Killer Miller posted:

This looks awesome, thank you for the advice!

Wanna rub that belly. :kimchi:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

They have plain gravy treats if your cats really like the juices.

Yeah, Sweetheart goes absolutely ballistic for the ones Catit makes.

Taxxe:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

PacoTheThird posted:

We have a laser toy on a key chain, and one of my cats knows the sound of that key chain (and ONLY that key chain) and will come running if it's so much as accidentally bumped on the table. I have tried picking it up as quietly as possible to test him and he always hears it.

Sweetheart is exactly like that. That keychain noise specifically = ENGAGE HUNTRESS OF THE NIGHT MODE.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The girls are in a territory dispute over who owns the beat-up cardboard box covered in drool. Meanwhile, their two cat beds have been empty for months.

Sweetheart has a cardboard box next to her cat bed and she'll sometimes stand up and stretch and move from one to the other.

I saw her once draped between the two but she moved by the time I got my phone to get a picture. :negative:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

FelicityGS posted:

They only care about them the day they come in, and without fail no longer use them from then on. It ends up just being wasted space.

Meanwhile on the flip side, Sweetheart has used this shoebox as a nap spot basically since I got the shoes. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sydin posted:

Mel used to do this when I fed her dry. Now I feed her wet and instead half the time she decides instead of just eating out of her bowl she'll pick it up with her paw, drop it on the carpet, and then eat it off the carpet leaving a nice stain.

Cats gonna cat.

In my experience, when Sweetheart does that, it's because the chunk in question was too big to eat in one bite.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

taqueso posted:

dropping a recommendation for etsy store 'space kitty express' they sell mixes if you want to cover all the bases

Thanks for this rec - I got Sweetheart a kick stick with silvervine and she went apeshit for it. It was hilarious.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

InvisibleMonkey posted:

She also does the paw-tap with nails extended to get our attention, it doesn't hurt but it's really annoying since she uses it to get us out of bed. Little brat.

Sweetheart has gotten a lot better about having claws out when she does this lately. I think us committing to ignoring her if there were claws involved helped.

Or maybe just cat. :shrug:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

Which litter mat are you using?

Those extruded rubber strand ones are pretty garbage. I'd say something closer to this design would work a lot better https://www.amazon.com/Polarduck-Cat-Litter-Trapping-Mat-Honeycomb-Material-Washable/dp/B07TYJC6NV

We use this and it rules. It basically stopped like 99% of the litter tracking Sweetheart was doing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

I like the idea of fresh food services but man I just can't justify spending 100 bucks+ a month on pet food when my quality kibble and wet food combo is less than half as much per month

Yeah, I just checked the pricing on that and woof. $30 a week is effectively twice what we spend on Sweetheart's food as-is, and we get some pricy wet food because she's a picky little primadonna.

Pictured: one picky little primadonna

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

All this talk of it is making me think about one too. The fact that it can just use whatever the gently caress litter and trash bags makes it more appealing because I was misinformed thinking it had to use Their Litter(tm) and Their Bags(tm).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sydin posted:

Try Nutro Max. I started feeding Mel the wet stuff about a year ago, and she goes insane over it. She used to leave food in the bowl but now just devours the entire meal in under five minutes.

Are you still able to get that anywhere? Sweetheart loves their Seafood and Tomato flavor but I was told by Chewy and Petco both that Nutro discontinued the entire Max Cat line and haven't been able to find it for nearly a year.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sydin posted:

Yes and no. They discontinued all of their canned wet food, and replaced it with these dumb double pouch things. You can buy it on Amazon at an insane markup, but my suggestion would be to poke around local pet stores. There's a place near me called Pet Club that sells the wet stuff for a very nice 69 cents per pouch.

Ah, okay. We actually tried the pouch stuff and she doesn't care for it.

She's lucky she's so cute because gently caress she's a picky little diva.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Aleta HATES chicken, by the way.

Sweetheart hates chicken cat food.

People chicken on the other hand...

(E: obviously she doesn't get any, but boy is she a gremlin about trying to get some)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

pidan posted:

I thought I was being facetious, but I have since discovered that there are actually a variety of cattle brushes for cats. I have never tried them, but they might be useful for people whose cats don't like being brushed.

We have these in like three different corners in the house because Sweetheart loving LOVES the things.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

How much vertical clearance does it need? I've thought about getting one but the place where Sweetheart's box is right now is basically like half an inch taller than the listed dimensions on the website and I worry.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Since we've had black cats and white cats, obviously it's time for tuxies. :neckbeard:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, Sweetheart often doesn't want to come in our bedroom, open door or not.

Unless it's storming, then she'll absolutely huddle between me and my partner for comfort.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, we get Sweetheart a haircut twice a year for that same reason. She gets aggressively bitey when you try to brush her, so it's a necessity to keep her from getting matted.

Strangely, her groomer says she's the best behaved cat they work on, so... :iiam:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Those are some quality murder mittens on that void. :kimchi:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ball Tazeman posted:

Look at her. She knows she’s too cute to get in trouble

That picture really has "If I Did It" vibes. :lol:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

if they're good they'll know how to deal with cranky cats

Or if your cat is a weirdo like mine, they love their groomer. :psyduck:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lady Demelza posted:

Some vets (at least in the UK) have a plan similar to insurance, where you pay a monthly fee and get certain treatments free or discounted. For instance, my cat is getting a tooth out next month and there's a 25% discount for pets on this plan.

Yeah, the Banfield family of vets has something similar. I ended up not doing it for Sweetheart because when she had some major surgery, the total reduction would've been less than 10% of the bill for something that was in the low $2000 range... and I'd have to commit to a year of $79.99 premiums.

It also wouldn't cover the third-party oncologist we're taking her to after the first of the year.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

We've had to go through two different food switching processes with Sweetheart because she finally falls in love with a food just in time for it to be discontinued. :negative:

Why do you have to be a picky cat? :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I'm so sorry for your loss, we just went through the same thing a few weeks back and it hurt so much

Just know that you did everything you could for her, even at the end. And she got to know she was loved till the very end

That's what's been helping us as well (we recently had to put Sweetheart down after an incredibly aggressive mammary cancer was found). My partner and I told ourselves that when her quality of life was obviously impeded, we'd let her go, and the biggest sign for us was when she actively refused even her favorite treat (churu tubes) or fresh tuna from the pouch.

She's not suffering anymore, and she got to have three good years of being a spoiled brat after four years of being listed as "nearly unadoptable" on Petfinder.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

That's not quite what Sweetheart was exhibiting shortly before we put her down, but it seems similar. It didn't help that we'd gotten ultrasound data that showed their might be occlusion/tumor growth in her lungs.

I am seconding the sympathy. It's so very hard. It's been a month and I still find myself randomly breaking down due to something reminding me of her, or me telling my partner "we love you" instead of "I love you" when she leaves for work. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

We have one with fur about the length of the one you're getting, and the equigroomer is the best cat brush I've ever used. It makes a huge mess but cats love it and unlike slickers you can actually tell when loose hair is gone because it stops producing fur piles. The furminator does this too but you can overgroom with it and end up with thin fur or scabs.. you should only use it once or twice a month. But with the equigroomer you can slide it over their fur every day if you wanted.

It's also super effective on short hair cats.

Holy poo poo you were not kidding about that part. Mine got here yesterday and Winston has, on at least one occasion, knocked it off the table where it lives and brought it to me to brush him with. :catstare:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

Penny at the vet:

That cat is planning at least ten different murders. :catstare:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

gloom posted:

Seconding! One of our cats has very fine fur. She doesn't tolerate a wire brush at all, but she loves to be scraped with the Equigroomer.

Thirded. My shorthair void has literally picked the thing up off the table it lives on in his mouth and brought it to me to brush him with.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I generally just get mine a can of the fanciest wet food I can afford since their daily wet snack is certainly not fancy.

Yep, either that or one of the fancy fish fillet treats.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hi posted:

oh man I have so many pictures I would love to share but I dont know how many I can post before someone decides its excessive and yells at me haha

:justpost:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

an iksar marauder posted:

Patiently explain to him to use his inside voice

I’ve got one of these, it is what it is

Not the OP but he was not impressed when I showed him your post

E: he is now yelling about it

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

That tuxie is currently perceiving the entire drat universe

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Can anyone tell me what type of cat my boy is and what threads I may post pics of him in?

Thanks!

OP I think they're a cat

leaning towards "good cat"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kullik posted:

do we just gotta get him a regular bowl

My cat does this with a regular bowl too, so, don't count on that being a magical cure-all.

WONTFIX, cat.exe functioning as programmed

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

It’s commendable that you are even considering a cat with special needs, but you have to be absolutely sure you can meet those needs in every situation. If you’re having real doubts about your ability to care for the cat, that’s probably a good enough reason to not adopt that cat.

Yeah, our local SPCA has a program they call "pet sleepovers" where you can trial a pet in your home for a week and get used to them and that's how we learned that we really could not deal with a pet with essentially kitty IBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Black cats best cats

They sure are. :3: