Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

One of the first few I've taken, I have some practicing to do, but I like this one and it reminds me of the scene in ET with the spaceship in the woods.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2w7jrcn.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I went outside at 9:45 to get a few night shots. Not getting the one shot I was going for added insult to injury, the injury coming in the form of walking balls-first into my lawnmower, which I forgot I had moved to the patio this afternoon. I got some boring sky shots to compensate for the loss and will post them on Tuesday when I have a computer capable of talking to my camera without crashing.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I was messing around with a few photos I took a while back that I thought were pretty useless, but when I brought the white balance all the way down to 2000 or so I noticed that the colors became much closer to daylight and I was able to get results that looked like somewhat surreal daytime photos.

These were both taken in almost pitch dark except for the streetlights you see.

I'm interested to see if anyone else likes the look of these?
I do like them, although the vignetting on the second one is distracting and the green channel looks blown or close to clipping. I assume they were sodium halide lights if you had to drop the white balance so much and the colors are still beautiful, I've found in my limited experience that setting to flash white balance and doing long exposures under moonlight produces saturation right on the border of believable and bright enough to illuminate properly at 30s and f/5.6

ncol posted:

This looks almost like an infrared shot and is awesome.

Wes Mantooth posted:

Toronto Skyline, 15 second exposure

this feels heavily left-weighted and I think it would benefit from a crop in the same ratio with the CN tower on the right vertical 3rds line.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

More dusk than night. I saw some kids messing around on the riverbank skipping stones and the like. It was a rush setting up the tripod in time to capture this. Not sure how long the exposure was anymore. But over 30 seconds. It was a bit overexposed on the negative though.
I can't put my finger on what this reminds me of, but it reminds me of something and I really like it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

William T. Hornaday posted:

Alexey Titarenko, perhaps?
Yes.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

RangerScum posted:

I think that's a shot you pretty much HAVE to use a wide-angle lens for or else you get the mess with all the partial cars at the bottom. Or you can fire up that photoshop and get to work! Other than that it's a cool shot.

Took this on a beach in hawaii. It was very dark. 30 seconds @ f2.8 and iso 6400 and there still wasn't any detail on the trees.

The only thing that could make this better is a stoned as hell Carl Sagan marveling at the wonder of the universe. The dreamy looking trees work well.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Musket posted:

I need to experiment with how to secure my tripod better in a moving car.
If your car's headrests are easily removable, get a 4 foot piece of flat bar stock steel and drill it to slip over the headrest posts, hold it to the bottom in place with rod clamps. Drill a 3/8" hole in the middle, put a 3/8" bolt through it and really crank it down, mount your camera to that with a wing nut to secure it. You now have a car mount photo/video rig for under $30.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What you guys want is a Bogen Super Clamp + Magic Arm. They're commonly used for this type of shot: Samples on Flickr
That reminds me, I have one of these and it kicks rear end. Just make sure you clean the surface you're mounting it on first and tie a safety line if it's outside the car.

The magic arm is great, but kind of expensive for something I'm not going to use often.

also, another magic arm plus super clamp shot

By Jeffrey Liu
http://www.jeffreyliuphotography.com/

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 24, 2010

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I think the lights and the brush illuminated by the headlights balance the horizon nicely instead of just having dead space in the shadows down there.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ola posted:

This is really surreal, very cool!

Came across some mouse tracks in the snow last night.

Trying to tune them on my horrible laptop screen was hard. The difference in tint was there in the raw files too, but perhaps not as much as in the result. One thing I'm having lots of trouble with is gauging how bright something needs to be. Are these too dark? I didn't want to overexpose as I wanted to keep the detail in the grainy snow but probably could have let it expose for a few more seconds without blowing it out.
I would expose first one +1.75 and the second on +1.25, tweak from there, and sample white balance off the brightest part of each.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

A remote trigger won't really matter on such a long exposure.
It won't be too bad at that focal length, but mirror lockup and a remote are still a good idea. Otherwise, set exposure length to an extra second or two and hold a black card in front of the lens for that time so it's perfectly steady. Also keep in mind that at 50mm you have about 10 seconds before you start going from points to trails, someone mentioned in here a few weeks ago that the rule of thumb is t=500/focal length.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Suicide Watch posted:

How do you film guys take long exposure night shots? With my digital camera at least I can test out the settings before attempting a good shot. With film I won't know the results until I process and develop. Is it just hit or miss or is there some strategy within?
Meter like you would for any other photo (or take a digital test exposure until it looks right) and check the reciprocity failure chart for the film you're using.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

xzzy posted:

How did you do this?

I assume that's city glow? Where did the noise come from?

(like everyone else is saying, it looks super neat)
that's film grain, not noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CycleGeek posted:

This way I can take incredibly long exposure pictures of the fireworks at Westport, CT while sitting down and enjoying the show a bit myself.
You live in Westport? I'm in Fairfield and we should grab a beer and take pictures of things sometime.