Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

krustster posted:

I never really used to like them, I saw them in concert twice and found them to be pretty bad. But the new one, With Roots Above and Branches Below is awesome. I like that it's less "random" and more melodic. There are some truly excellent parts in it too, like the piano break in "Big Wiggly Style" (drat I hate the stupid-rear end "witty" song titles).

More importantly, "Danger: Wildman." I KNOW A GHOST :c00l: The new Arsonists Get All The Girls is also quite good, it's a big step up from their prior work.

I'm totally digging the new A Skylit Drive right now. The vocals are very ... unique and the song-writing has a level of restraint that is rarely heard in the genre. I think there's only two or three breakdowns! In the whole CD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I will admit I'm usually not too much of a fan of the more girly/emo vocals (hate Alesana and such but In Fear and Faith-style stuff I can handle) but I recently saw I See Stars live with Emarosa and I thought they were going to suck but they sound really cool live.

Yeah, I See Stars kick a lot of rear end, their new record is one of the better releases this year. Anyone into that sound should check out a band called Call It Karma, they remind me a lot of I See Stars.

I also love Alesana, they're everything about the modern "emo/screamo" song all rolled up into one band, which then is all rolled up into one song, "Congratulations, I Hate You."

deadwing fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 17, 2009

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Daddy Two-Coats posted:

Whitechapel is the section of London where Jack the Ripper killed people :ssh:

But on the subject, I've just recently gotten more into stuff like Attack! Attack! and Confide... anyone know of other decent "crab-core" bands like them?

haha, now you're in my domain. scenecore is my specialty. first, check the new The Word Alive EP, Empires out. it kicks a lot of rear end.

Greeley Estates. their latest disk, Go West Young Man... kicks a ton of rear end.

I See Stars. 3D has been described by some as a better version of Attack Attack!. I think they're fairly different, but still worth checking out

In Fear and Faith. it's like attack attack!, but with more structured songwriting and lyrics about pirates. hearing the singer scream PIIIIRATES LIFE FOR ME over a sick breakdown made me a convert.

hell, just look through Rise Records and The Artery Foundation's roster until you find something you like.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

the Bunt posted:

What the hell is crabcore? What does that infer?

basically bands that sound like Attack Attack!, even though they aren't at all the originators of the style. however, they are the only band of that style with their very own meme.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

I used to gently caress the dumb Asian's girlfriend. Their music sucks dick and he treated her like poo poo.

This thread is full of awful corporate scenester poo poo. If it's on Equal Vision, it's probably awful. There are your guidelines.

Equal Vision has one of the most solid lineups in the business right now.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Pres posted:

As much as I love ADTR me and my mates have a running joke about their hilarious lyrics before breakdowns.

DISRESPECT YOU SURROUNDINGS!

haha, my friends call that line the "call to bro down" and the following clean section the "time to pick up your fellow bro".

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Demolisher posted:

i'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttn1otpx7zA

The best part about videos like this are the comments. Also, the fact that the singer thinks that everyone must watch THE OBAMA DECEPTION

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

"friends" :(

I'm going to go see Emarosa and Dance Gavin Dance on Saturday. gently caress yes.

I'm going next Wednesday. gently caress yes.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Lacuna Coil were always below average, but they've become complete and total poo poo now. They're enough to completely turn me off that bill. gently caress em.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

plester1 posted:

Does anyone know who does the vocals at around 2:30 into Swim to the Moon?

pretty sure that's their tour manager

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

elTeddy posted:

4 The Great Misdirect - some songs don't have a nucleus at all.

Listen to it again specifically listening for repeated themes and you'll find that's completely wrong. There's a lot of complaints I could levy against The Great Misdirect, but the songs not having "a nucleus" sure as hell isn't on of them. If anything, that'd apply better to Colors.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Kempy posted:

I'm a fan of a few of their songs, thanks to it being the background music on some AMV on YouTube or something. It's easy to listen to.

You guys should check out a metalcore band by the name of Alesana. They've released 2 albums so far with a 3rd coming out early next year and I have to say - It's good poo poo. Healthy balance between the girl-esque cries from Shawn Milke and the screams from Dennis.

The best part of Alesana is that on their MySpace one of the guys has obviously photoshopped on emo bangs.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Business Raptor posted:

AND, on the same note as some of the more recent bands being added; a buddy of mine I jam with sometimes (we went to go to high school together) went an entirely different direction than what we played and sings for this band. Other than the fact that he stole some lines and song names from one of my bands (I think...), it's catchy for the kind of music it is. Haha.

I love poo poo like this, and this is real good. Thanks!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

krustster posted:

speaking of bands that are good, who likes the most recent Rose Funeral tape? I know I do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ACX8ea4HI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIvi_3FLoE0

OCEANO IS GOOD TOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmS2hu7lQm0

way to not post the oceano video that's half the fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGS8vvQKg14

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Business Raptor posted:

As per norm I agree with you on your main point. The band name has nothing to do with the music said band puts out. One of my favourite bands happens to be Lower Definition and yet that's an absolutely terrible name.

Since you're a huge fan, can you tell me what the gently caress is going on with their "hiatus?" I've heard that they're back together, kinda, sorta, but not really. What's exactly going on?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

itt: a bunch of poor motherfuckers late to the elitist party

I bought that poo poo off itunes the day it came out. :c00lbert:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

the only inward scream that is ever good is the RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH introducing Coheed's The Crowing (also in 21:13 and something on YotBR I think)

gently caress every other inward scream, especially any bands who primarily use them.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

yeah, I've found a handful of tracks enjoyable on their past CDs, but this one is surprisingly solid all the way through.

I knew they had it in them, I just didn't know they'd do it. :v:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

Just wanted to share some videos with you guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icWsSjeCHJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwA5PLi6oTI

hey, that emmure track is at least better than anything off their past two disks

which means it's almost good enough to consider listening to again

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The new Between the Buried and Me clip is cool, but the new The Human Abstract song they (Altpress) posted the same day is way radder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9e0NXu3lRo

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

MMMCCLI posted:

For anyone that's interested...

Hurrr new Emmure

If they go totally goofy lyrically on this album it could be a total guilty pleasure. Dude's already got some crazy ideas, he just needs to really let loose and write a whole album about how he really is M. Bison.

Which is exactly what this has the potential to be. :allears:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

So the new The Safety Fire album is easily the best metalcore album I've heard in a long time. The songwriting and instrumentation are top loving notch, and the vocals are very unique, in a good way. It's a little djenty, but not overdone at all.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Goddamn that Architects song owns

gently caress it makes me want to mosh almost as much as Early Grave does.

and no song makes me want to mosh like Early Grave

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

No link because I'm on my phone, but the new The Safety Fire album, Grind the Ocean is available for a stupid price of 1.89. It is easily the best metalcore album I've heard this year, it's an absolute steal at that price. Recommended if you're into the newer proggy stuff like Corelia or Aliases.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

bleedbackwards posted:

Now I want to see him play Hour of Penance.

That is the worst triggered cymbal sound I have heard in my life.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I thought the new For All Those Sleeping album was actually pretty good, it's nothing I'l listen to often, but I'm sure I'll be in the mood for that sing/scream poo poo every once in a while.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hashtag Nascar posted:

https://soundcloud.com/bring-me-the-horizon/bring-me-the-horizon-antivist/s-nhdvH

it's embarrassingly juvenile and bad, more so than metal in general.

Hopefully this is the Anthem/gently caress of their latest album, I liked most of There Is A Hell... and really liked the first single they've released off this disk, but this track isn't really that good.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

SteelFusion posted:

:woop: NEW MISERY SIGNALS TRACK HERE:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/07/02/exclusive-track-premiere-misery-signals-luminary/

Holy poo poo, I can't wait for this album. :aaa:

Yes. Between this and the new ABR being way better than I expected, this is a great year for metalcore.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

nomapple posted:

Same here. Not really getting the love for it. Aside from the first track, nothing really stands out for me. There's definitely no Weight of the World here...

That's funny, I think that Weight of the World is easily the worst song on Controller.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The new Protest the Hero is insane. Way better than Scurrilous which I was never too hot on to begin with.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

oh man the new Code Orange single is nuts

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

New SikTh album is totally and completely rad, it's great that they're putting out poo poo this good and fresh sounding after what, 15 years?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

lol looks like the pepe crowd is very angry at this

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

New Stray loving rules

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

Oh, you mean the tough guy white kid who wasted a Sam Carter feature on a song that starts with this line?

Anyway, it's good to hear I'm not alone on this one, here at least. But I still think we're in the minority among the overall core community, and I'm genuinely interested in hearing deadwing (who I've known for years and respect a great deal) provide some detail on what about this record really connected for him.

We already talked about it on Slack, but basically it's just really earnest and energetic music, like I know it's cheesy as hell but they really believe in what they're saying and it comes through in their music, it really gets me going. Sometimes some dumb as poo poo music just fits the bill, you know?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

No Servant of Mine is loving Riff Church

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

dunno why We Came As Romans finally decided to not suck, but the new album slaps. last couple songs kinda blow but the other ones are great

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

Insipid… minds… have. won. Rapacious de.struc.tion.

That was the best SikTh release of their last several, but you could pretty well justify leaving it off on account of it’s not really -core. I listen to a lot of prog metal as well, and there is some crossover there. This year, a lot of the more straight ahead prog metal releases I checked out failed to thrill me as much as the prog-metalcore blends.

Lol if you dont get that goofy rear end Ride the Illusion chorus stuck in your head at random

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

What else is good today that I should play later, friendos?

Glassjaw, my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I'd be more excited if their last album didn't blow