Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
New August Burns Red just announced. I never really got into their last album, but I am loving loving the single they just dropped along with the announcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sWKKKNRV90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

RIP Crazy Donkey

I remember catching Shai Hulud with Born of Osiris and After the Burial there almost 10 years ago, really good show. RIP indeed.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Rexxed posted:

I think a goon is in Graveborn. I liked their first album a lot. They put out a track from their upcoming third album which sounds promising so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRGDUj_a_zU

Used to be two goons, I was the singer for the first two albums! Thanks for posting this, I've been really impressed with the way they've been evolving the past few years. Gravybong does the lion's share of the songwriting in case folks want to ask him questions.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I love Emmure while simultaneously acknowledging that they're pretty terrible. They have a few tracks like We Were Just Kids/MDMA/etc. that are different from their standard fare that are actually worth listening to IMO.

Also for anyone else who likes The Ghost Inside it seems like they've been slowly gearing up lately, posting more things online and practicing as a band once again.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 27, 2018

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

XIII posted:

As someone who has always been sorta "meh" on TGI (I've listened to Dear Youth and Get What You Give a handful of times, but was never blown away), I can confirm that Siren Song loving crushes.

If you haven't seen em live before, that might make a big difference. Of course that's been a sad impossibility the last 2 years, but when (if?) they start playing live shows again, definitely do not miss it. Since they're coming off a long hiatus the shows are gonna be extra insane, but even before that, they put on one of the best live acts I'd ever seen. Nothing quite like seeing half the audience crowd up on stage to sing the ending to Engine 45 at a smallish venue. When they come back it's gonna be unreal.

First time I ever got to scream into a mic at a show was during Provoke :unsmith:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I'll never forget coming across Parkway Drive about 11 years ago and not being initially interested in their music. Then they played on some tour that come through America about a year or so later, and there we still like two or three bands left to play but holy poo poo did the entire venue transform when they came on. Never saw anything like it and I immediately devoured all their music. Some of my favorite live concerts were with PWD, but the last two or three times I've had a chance to see them I passed up because I knew they'd play their newer stuff and honestly it just doesn't appeal to me. Super depressing. At this point I just pretend they broke up and there's a new band with the same name playing totally different music.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Have y'all heard of Black Matter Device before? A friend of mine just showed them to me and holy gently caress do they rip. Something of a crossup between Dillinger Escape Plan/Ion Dissonance/Converge:

https://blackmatterdevice.bandcamp.com/

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Unearth also put a new thing out today, it rips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eibN9wI77ME

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
They played it live yesterday at Warped Tour in Denver and it loving slammed. I was surprised folks weren't going harder but I think everyone was just exhausted from being out in the sun all day by that point.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

XIII posted:

Can confirm it slammed.

Did you catch ETID's set? It ripped, per usual.

EDIT: I missed Harm's Way, so that sucked.

ETID was crazy, my first time catching them ever actually. Long time overdue. Kublai Khan was a lot of fun too, and In Heart's Wake was really enjoyable. I'm also pissed I missed Harm's Way, they played way too early.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Just got out of seeing Whitechapel and they played two encores off of Somatic Defilement. loving made my year god drat, that was awesome.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Acacia Strain and After the Burial just announced a tour, they're gonna be playing Continents and Rareform in their entirety. Two of my favorite albums, and I've always dreamed of seeing the song Rareform played live (the breakdown at the end is in my top 10). Fall cannot come fast enough, holy poo poo.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

emdash posted:

still getting used to the idea of metalcore (mostly) pig destroyer but here's another one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDn084oMsL4

This is reminding me of old Animosity. I dig it.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Only got into Erra a few months ago and had no idea this album was coming out today, was a pretty sweet surprise this morning when I went to pull them up on Spotify at work. Album rips.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

I was already stupidly pumped for this show and now somehow am even more excited. gently caress yes.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Beelzebozo posted:

:eyepop:

I love JT Cavey. Like to the point that it hadn't occurred to me that anybody would think he "ruined" ERRA. I always found Garrison bland and forgettable, and Ian was just plain bad. The music has always been dope, but I didn't pay much attention to the vocals until Drift. :shrug:

Same, plus I love his energy live. He seems like someone who is just really happy to be up there playing and doing vocals for such a good band.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Semi random question for folks who know more about Architects. Is the person who writes the lyrics a Buddhist? At least, there seems to be tons of references to Buddhism in their lyrics, like "Maya" and "Hungry Ghost" in Modern Misery, or the Alan Watts speech in Memento Mori. Curious if there's an interview flying around anywhere where they talk more about this.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

60 Hertz Jig posted:

Saw Make Them Suffer, Erra, The Acacia Strain, and After The Burial for Halloween tonight. Holy loving wow, what a great show. TAS played Continent in its entirety and ATB did the same with Rareform. Most of 'em dressed up a bit. Nice change of pace from all black band tees.

Erra loving killed it and I was surprised at how much of the crowd knew their stuff. All four bands, really.

I'm seeing this on Saturday, probably line up of the year for me. The breakdown from the track Rareform is probably in my top 10 breakdowns of all time, but it's not a popular track and I'd never thought I'd get to see it live. Definitely losing my poo poo during that.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
New Unearth track loving rips, such an amazingly consistent band. Bummed that I'm missing them in Denver since I'll be traveling for the holidays. They crushed it during Warped Tour though.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Oh poo poo is that out today? Getting on that ASAP.

Also TAIM put out a new song today. I can be pretty 50/50 on their music, but this loving rips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic9cwrY9WAI

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

ShoogaSlim posted:

i love augment and moments of clarity a bunch. i'm really not a fan of that jt cavey dude who tookover, and who also ruined texas in july for me. something about his vocals is so boring and unappealing to me.

i'm poking around a few songs off neon now and i still enjoy the music they write (even if it sounds like it's leaning a tiny bit more underoath than within the ruins these days), and i absolutely love jesse cash's clean vocals. i'd like erra a lot better if it was legit just him singing and no harsh vocals at all, like how contortionist is a hell of a lot better now than they were on their first two albums.

I love Erra and I really like JT’s vocals, but last time I saw Erra live, JT came across as a bit of a dick. Definitely soured me on him a little, but I still love Erra’s music.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hell yes, I've been obsessed with Dance Gavin Dance the last few years. They just announced a tour yesterday with Periphery and Hail the Sun which should be amazing.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Architects and Thy Art is Murder are coming back to America. Just amazing shows getting announced left and right lately.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
New Periphery is loving sweet, really heavy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Pyhae2NIU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
The Ghost Inside just announced a "Save the Date" for July 13, 2019, in LA. Doesn't say specifically what's happening, but potentially their first concert in years? As a huge fan of theirs I'll absolutely be buying a flight out there just to see them live again. Too hyped for this.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Someone posted Crystal Lake earlier which is definitely in the same ball park

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Do people in this thread like Traitors? They also put an album out this year (just a few weeks back) and it's a lot of fun. Nothing super sophisticated or complex but drat if it's not phenomenal work-out music

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
What do folks think of the new Whitechapel? I gave it a listen the other day, it was "fine" but nothing I'd throw on again. Can't say I've been a huge fan of their newer material, but I know there's tons of folks that love them.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
More new After the Burial, it's solid, but I definitely enjoyed the other track more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbd-rA2O2_4

Edit:

Eight Is Legend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxzjrxQHVPU

Bringing some old school post-hardcore/metalcore vibes to 2019. 1:50 goes so hard.

This is so my loving jam. I know nu-metal is having a revival, but I'm really hoping for old-school metalcore to have its own revival. Stuff like 7A7P, Remembering Never, etc. is some of my favorite music ever and would love to see that kind of sound come back with full force.

Edit2: The Johnny Booth track is also sweet.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 3, 2019

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Wamsutta posted:

New Obey the Brave single is a letdown. Continuation of the softer stuff they started to play with on Mad Season. Mad Season has some really solid songs so I'll hold out for the full album. OTB's first two tapes are for sure their strongest though.

Yeah, I hadn't listened to Obey the Brave since their first album and playing that new song was confusing as gently caress. I thought I had the wrong band on for a second. Not my jam, which is a shame because I love Despised Icon and want to support any of the dudes' side projects as well.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
New After the Burial out today! Loving it so far. The song 11/26 is absolutely gorgeous. Does anyone know if that's a date that has some specific significance for the band? I thought it might be related to Justin but I can't dig anything after doing a cursory search.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Came here to post that. What a loving lineup, super pumped for that show.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

60 Hertz Jig posted:

Speaking of more 2000s-era core resurgence. Caught a recommendation on Spotify for a new single by Renounced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMvHB4bWeWM
And from their last album, which I already like more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfZHF4X_XSQ

This came across my Facebook the other day and I was really digging it. What other bands are doing that 2000s era metalcore sound nowadays? Some of my absolutely favorite stuff include old albums by Remembering Never, 7A7P, Zao, etc. and I'd kill for more bands to bring back that sound.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks for the old school metalcore recommendations, folks, dug most everything y'all posted! Keep them coming.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
The good news is Despised Icon is alive and kicking and coming to my city this year, so as long as Alex Erian keeps that up, I'm happy.

Also that Osiah album rips.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
New Thy Art is Murder just dropped, as well as a music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NfyTg6gzY4

They're not my favorite band by any stretch, but I'm really digging this track and the other songs I've heard from the album so far.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Just gonna echo the love for The Oncoming Storm here. Also really love the fact that they continue to play many of those tracks live. Unearth is the best.

Also there's a new Shadow of Intent album out. Haven't listened to it yet.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
New Despised Icon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8-Oj3Cx4Y

As an admittedly big fanboy of Despised Icon, it's always a special treat when they put out new stuff. This track definitely doesn't disappoint.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Fun fact: One of the guys from Pathogenic helped us produce one of our albums when I was in a band with another goon back in Boston. Cool dudes, small world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
New Beneath the Massacre loving slaps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhPB9BDIeBA