Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ShoogaSlim posted:

I got into hardcore by going to my friends band in high school playing to 10 kids and then hardcore/metalcore got big with Hatebreed and everything started sucking haha.

the best thing about hatebreed (edit: only good thing) was when jamey jasta hosted that show on mtv2 like 10 years ago and he was interviewing some guys from poison the well, and he went to seque into a video by as i lay dying and one of the ptw dudes says, "oh that's a cool name william faulkner is awesome" and jasta just makes a face and goes "who the hell is william faulkner?"

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

rxcowboy posted:

That emmure song is literally one of the worst things I've ever heard in my entire life. Note I used "things" and not "songs", because I refuse to sully the word song by associating it with that piece of musical refuse.

For real, that's the most generic and boring poo poo I have ever heard. It sounds exactly like every lovely local bro hardcore band. Otoh, that link to the song "meanings" is :lol:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Valex posted:

Yeah it's pretty funny that the guy from Emmure believes he's spiritually connected with another planet and also M. Bison or whatever he said

He's both M Bison and also Thanos somethingorother and believes that planet x is going to destroy the earth and he's going to ride off on a comet or whatever. He rules. Can't wait for concept album about reptilians.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Optimum Gulps posted:

From Italy: Amia Venera Landscape - The Long Procession album. I don't think I could recommend any metalcore record more than this. They're what I imagine El Cielo-era Dredg and BTBAM would sound like if they merged (that probably won't mean anything to you but it might make other people in the thread give this a listen).

This is extremely cool.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kumba posted:

that song, and band, are hot garbage.

shooga and i have reversed roles. i am now the old man yelling at clouds who apparently hates new core

feels bad man. at least i still have dgd!

it's really good

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I only listened to Norma Jean's "Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child", "O' God, the Aftermath", and "Redeemer" and skipped....their other five albums to listen to this

It reminds me of maybe either ogod, or redeemer, and it's a little more sing-songy than I usually want now, it still sounds groovy. I love it

of those albums I think I'd probably say Bless > redeemer > o' god

but I can't remember the albums too clearly

edit: I'm going back and listening to Bless the Martyr and I can't believe this album is 20 years old and is still as dope as it was back then. I still remember exactly the face my friend Patrick made when he was excited about it and didn't want to tell me about this band or Armor for Sleep because he thought I was going to brag about it to everyone and then it would get popular. Oh, highschool "if it's popular I don't want to listen to it" drama...

edit2: going further back, listening to Luti-Kriss, it's quite hard to find all a band's eps and poo poo. It does sound almost like melodical death metal, vaguely. (black smith)

i only ever listened to the luti-kriss record and then somehow ended up with a norma jean t shirt that looked really cool. their fans would always say stuff to me at shows when i was wearing it and i would quietly demur since i didn't know anything else about them

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

xZAOx posted:

When I was a youngin (17-18), at some show I got a Relapse sampler CD. Every month or two I'd give it a listen.

Well the first time I heard a track by some band with a stuipd name - "The Dillinger Escape Plan" - boy, that was garbage. Just loving noise, goddamn worthless!

Then as I gradually listened to more and more mathy / complex type bands, one day I was popping through it again, and was like "oh I can understand this now. This is awesome, why did I hate this?".

I’m not even sure Dillinger is the noisiest and most abrasive thing on that record. Today is the day, agoraphobic nosebleed, that’s a fun one

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Didn't listen to much -core this year. SpiritWorld, Callous Daoboys, Mico, Slowbleed, Ithaca, Vein and Venom Prison were good. On the non-metal side of hardcore Gospel probably is my AOTY. Soul Glo and Show Me the Body also put out good albums. City of Caterpillar too.

E: Apparently Venom Prison are British TERFs unfortunately

that's weird, there are literally songs about the oppression of trans people on their records (megillus and leana for example). what did they say/do?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wamsutta posted:

this goes so loving hard it's right up my alley. a lot of Hot drat! riffing and sweet little two step in there. i wish Andy had the time to do this project :( but he's got wrestling now

i saw DEP and ETID together on halloween back in 2004, still remember what a great show it was. this feels like a very natural pairing

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

frontierer/sectioned own. same dude doing the music with a different vocalist iirc, but they sound completely different.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ShoogaSlim posted:

oh poo poo never knew that - that rules. guitar player is def one to keep an eye on if frontierer ever splits.

i double checked and it looks like frontierer have had a proper band since unloved but the main songwriter/producer for both bands is the same and he more or less did orange mathematics and annihilated by himself other than the vocals. pedram valiani is his name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have the same need for new music all the time but I do think my taste in what *kinds* of music I will seek out has solidified in the last half decade or so, and I'm about 8 years younger than Shooga. It is almost exclusively some kind of heavy poo poo or a handful of middle-aged semi-underground rappers thede days.

This is kind of fair for me, i listened to a hundred+ new metal and hardcore albums last year and maybe a couple dozen rap albums (but I listened to Billy Woods more than any other single record) but I try to at least occasionally veer out of my lane. I listen to a lot of jazz but not much that's new, and I make a point of checking out at least a handful of bluegrass records every year.