Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
There were some really cool pearl clouds in sky when I left work yesterday, but I kept the camera on autofocus like a dumbass. :(

At least every bad shot is a teaching moment, but it hurts a bit to not get great moments like this right the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

murk posted:

DSCF4226 by a a, on Flickr

I'm not sure I know what landscape means. Here is some stuff around town

Love this!

The definition of landscape stumps me a bit as well, it's so broad.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Tirano at night

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Sassalb B&W

Palü Glacier B&W

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

This is beautiful. drat I love a good sunset/rise.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

ploots posted:

Love this one

field balm posted:

Very interesting framing! makes the subject matter pretty mysterious.
Thank you. The area around the statue was beatiful but pretty busy so I ended up isolating what I found most interesting.
I love the otherwordly feel of this one.

The forest photography discussion the last few posts has been great. The busyness of the forest around where I live has been challenging, and I'm looking forward to my next outing now.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

xzzy posted:

I saw some trees earlier this summer. They were all quite large. I toyed around with putting a person in the scene to show scale but hated all attempts so I decided that technique is not for me.

Am curious what people think of my white balance choices. I edit each image based on what I feel works best for that individual frame, but looking at them in series I'm not sure it's the smartest idea. The balance is clearly all over the place.

I've been captivated by these photos every time I've seen them. They really convey a feeling of being deep in untouched lands.
I've also been thinking about editing for single images vs. series of shots lately. I always have this feeling that there's this one single thing that will really work for a specific photo, but then when I move on to another one shot in the same timeframe and area I end up doing something else with it and end up with completely different results. I'm kind of envious of the people on here that have really found their style and achieve consistency in their work.

I shot these two within 20 minutes of each other for example:

Just completely veering off on different paths...

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Mega Comrade posted:

I really like both of these

Thank you. I feel I've gotten a better handle on how to photograph forest scenes after the earlier discussion in this thread.

blue squares posted:

I'm just getting into participating in The Dorkroom and I am a little confused by this thread haha. Did 500 pages of actual landscapes just get boring so the thread has moved onto more abstract takes on "landscape"? I'm not complaining, there are some excellent and interesting photos the last several pages, and are more fun to look at than yet another photo of a mountain, but I wasn't expecting them.

This is why this is one of my favorite threads. The great variance in subjects and approach to what constitutes a landscape makes the thread super interesting.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

I really love these. Good stuff.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

These are great, especially the last one. Do you mind describing your process? It almost looks like IR to me, but I don't think that's right.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Megabound posted:

It is IR, in fact my first ever roll of the stuff. I got a 720nm filter and was using Rollei IR 400. I metered for ISO 3 (about 8 stops slower) for the filter factor and kept an eye out for nice light on my hike. The worst part was really having to carry a tripod on my hike but I'm going to continue doing it for sure.

Oh, for real. That's cool.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
So much good stuff on this page. Goons killing it.

I want to believe that I can capture something as cool as this some day

Preparing for winter

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Incredulous Dylan posted:

This is great. What in the world is that ball?

Thanks.
It's a bale of hay wrapped in plastic for conservation, affectionately called a tractor egg. :v:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

grilledcheese posted:

^ this last page has been amazing

Love the colors and shading here.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Wow, those are intense.
How did you shoot the second one?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Love the city shots from high above. It's mundane (in a good way) and with satisfying patterns and details.

River after heavy rain

I've been struggling a little lately with disapointment at my own shots and processing-paralisys. With very little free time and even less daylight hours it hurt like hell to come back from an 8 hour hike only to be faced with a load of badly exposed or unfocused photos. This took hours of finagling, and while I'm somewhat happy with it now it really doesn't do the scene justice.
The lesson is to not always chase the next shot, but instead take my time with and focus on the moment at hand.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Beautiful colors. I'm a sucker for sunsets.
If you want concise feedback I would tell you what I would have told myself when I started out: a beautiful scene does not necessarily translate to an interesting or captivating photograph. I think this could be even better if you for example put more emphasis on the silhouetted foreground objects.
*mwah* :discourse:

Love the gradual fading of each ridgeline.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

blue squares posted:

Good feedback for the OP. What do you think about the fact that you can see some detail in the bottom versus it being a completely black foreground? At first I had been going to suggest that the OP mask that out and make it all black, but then I actually liked that if the viewer looks closely, they can pick out some details. It makes the photo more interesting to me

To be completely frank I didn't see any detail there on my phone screen. Maybe I shouldn't judge or contribute criticism before viewing something on a proper screen. :v:
As for the question, I have no answer. I waffle between all black, some detail or lots of detail. Unable to decide what I like best.
Usually I just keep them for myself, but here's a few.

As mentioned I love sunsets.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Thanks y'all :cloudnine:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Oh my gosh

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

took me four months, but finally had some time/headspace.

Love all of those, but these two especially.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I'm in love with these colors.

Wonderfully tranquil.

I miss colors

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

field balm posted:

this is awesome, all those straight lines, the snow, the long shadows, the yellow
Thanks. It was a lucky find for sure.

These are fully sick

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Those are beautiful. Gives me associations to porcelain for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
The infrareds are just incredible. And I'm so envious of the scenery.