Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nigel Tufnel posted:

alkanphel-tribute.bmp

Still had the Nigel Tufnel contrast settings, though :). Very nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

On the topic of editing, I will edit the poo poo out of stuff from a composition standpoint if I need to.

An example, this church that always looks very nicely lit at night. I get the drone up 150 feet or so, and realize how the sausage is made. That light isn't visible from any street angles, so you never know its there until you get up high.

Well, I'm not letting it ruin my shot, dammit!

Then it's no longer a photo but a composite. :colbert:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That's nice, although I had to check twice to see that the poster name was correct :D.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Love the colours in this one. Just kinda wish the horizon had been lower in frame, otherwise I think composition is very good.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Noice!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yay, a not-parking lot!
Very green!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Very nice too!

I finally got out as well

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I like this one

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bah! I've been trying to get a shot like that for ages :D. There's so many around here that *almot* work, but always something off/in the way, etc.
Nice one.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sometimes I just hate you a little bit...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is also print worthy. NIce.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Really like this one

Also finally getting my last roll of 120 scanned

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

samantonio posted:

Tallgrass Prairie Natural Preserve, KS

I like this one.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

samantonio posted:

Thanks, it's been controversial. Most comments center around "you wasted all that space." lol that's why I love it.

My first thought was that it could use a cloud..but then it would have been too pretty and wouldn't have forced the eye to work as much.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

xzzy posted:

gently caress yeah, fog AND some direct light

Woaah!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Love this one.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I really like this one.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally got an old roll scanned...not much to show for it, though.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

p0stal b0b posted:

Some fantastic stuff on this page...

My gut reaction to these is that they might benefit from more tonal range or emphasis in the mid-tones, but everyone else here seems to dig them, so what am I missing? I'm trying to learn to properly appreciate a wide variety of photographic styles, even if I can't yet successfully emulate them, so if the thread feels happy to educate me, what do others appreciate about these photos, or what do people feel makes them good? (Serious question, not trying to be snarky or anything!)

I agree. I'm not a fan of those super-flat B&W images, but each to his own, etc,

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Love it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finger Prince posted:

Here's a quick and dirty edit - please don't take offense, it's your image after all, so this might not be what you were looking to accomplish. I knocked the contrast and a bit of the brightness down in GIMP, then applied a q+d high pass filter just on the neon bail bonds sign to bring it back into poppiness. This is my version of what I saw in the original vlog-like grey washed photo, without the grey wash.

I did it because it's a gorgeous photo and it just needs a tiny bit of tweaking to get to the next . My tweaks might not be the best but hopefully they help explain what I was thinking, seeing the original.

Erhh, that really didn't help at all!. The wonderful neon blue in the window is gone.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Spedman posted:

Here are my blunt thoughts on this photo and every other "vintage aesthetic" you see these days:

The photo is a lazy heavy handed approach to produce an aesthetic that only every existed in the minds eye of people who never lived through that period of time

it's a fantasy, and a boring one at that

Compared with the endless overexposed parking lots, it's a breath of fresh air.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bellows lugosi posted:

if you can't see that this is showing you why this is a wasteland i think you're not looking closely enough

If I have to look closely at a picture that is boring in the first place and does nothing to attract my attention, then it's already failed.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

(edit) nevermind.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 29, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finger Prince posted:

What exactly about, again picking on the hope church, religious symbolism, declining small town America, and some vague idea of hopefulness isn't a trope? It's practically a genre unto itself. Open national geographic from any time in the last 50 years and you'll see examples. Using tropes is fine, it can be done well, it can be done badly. But to argue that doing lifted blacks or a nostalgic aesthetic is a trope unworthy of "true" art, while lauding other tropes like washed out black and white and crumbling Americana sounds like some kind of weird gatekeeping, and I have to ask, what gate exactly are you keeping here?

Thank you.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This shows up as very red my monitor.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, this is really nice

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, this one I like.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cacator posted:

This page is severely lacking in mountains.

They're all nice, but this one really speaks to me.
Where is it?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

xzzy posted:

Also here's a mountain I saw this summer. Mountains are nice.

Very much not confident with my B&W conversions so if someone thinks I hosed it up I'd love to hear what I did wrong. There was a lot of slider wiggling so I'm worried I overcooked it and am blind to it.

Was this a colour photo originally?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I sweated over that for a bit in LR and there's even a radial filter over it to bring down the highlights. Nothing in the histogram is clipped though. But I couldn't wiggle sliders enough to get it to naturally blend in better.. anything more started to make ugly halos. I could fix it in photoshop but I also kind of wanted to see if anyone else commented on it.

My issue with the color version is it's pretty low contrast. There was smoke haze, the greens were kinda dingy, and the mountains were pretty flat. I didn't feel color brought anything to the table. If you care to form an opinion on your own, here's an unedited export: https://i.imgur.com/3cyJ9cv.jpg

I'll agree it's heavy on the left. Looking at the conversion next to the color maybe I pulled down the darks too much.

Yes it was!

Tons of stuff work with. Normally hate when people do this, but this is shifting the levels within range and tweaking midpoint + a a tiny amount of color work. Probably even more so if you have the original 16bit version

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I can't tell of this is criticism or praise?? Anyway I dig real nap poo poo's stuff. Although I didn't get it at first I must admit.

I see their work as a really cool documentation of the banal. It's precisely because no one really notices or looks at this bland stuff that to see it photographed and presented as art really works for me. Once all this turns to rubble there will be a million pictures of the Sydney Opera House but few people are documenting strip malls. Maybe as a brit there's a bit of fetishising the open-space modern americana of it all.

I do prefer the more empty scenes without cars though I must say. Although given that cars are stationary 99% of the time I suppose there as much a part of the landscape as the buildings.

I still don't get it. It looks like lazy photography to me barely any effort done on composition and light. I try, because some of you guys seems to like it, but I'm just not seeing it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bellows lugosi posted:

i’d be interested in you posting some examples (not of your own images, of course) of what sort of photographs really excite you

It's really varied. Alkanphel's are in general very good. Nigel Tufnel often hit the spot. And they're both taking pictures I can't take. Dreadheads, but then that's right up my alley (and area). Some of Megabounds.

I like pretty pictures, but I also like challenging pictures, so it doesn't have to be 'perfect'.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I don't follow specific photographers, but I fail to see how that is relevant?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bellows lugosi posted:

i'm curious to see some visual examples (photographs) of what you find interesting, perhaps if you were to show some it might help folks understand where you're coming from

I already mentioned several examples. I tend to acknowledge at least some of the phots I like here.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 21, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sure, if I thought your intentions were actually genuine...but I doubt it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

seravid posted:

Heck yeah to these

Metropol Parasol:

Love this one.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Interesting architecture. Where/what is it?

(Pictures are nice too)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

^^ Vero cool!