Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Haven't posted in PAD/CC in forever: Here are a handful from Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota:

The kittens I would kill to live in a location to visit the ocean and desert as easily as I can visit TRNP. D:<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

HPL posted:

Whoah, what the gently caress?

I saw a pair of such "hole-punch" clouds over central Wisconsin a couple years back.

Here's a link that has some theories.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Dread Head posted:

Did the resize destroy the resolution of the trees in this one?

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

octane2 posted:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
2.5s f/11.0 at 40.0mm iso100

Echoing others, this is a really great image, but please, please, please do not burn blown highlights: it ruins the image. A little trick, especially for reflections, is to copy, invert, paste, and blend in some detail. Also, a bit of vignetting added in your favorite RAW editor and overlayed on a duplicate exposure can sometimes salvage detail without compromising highlights, but keep those whites white.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Dread Head posted:

I enjoy both of these, but the barrel distortion evident in the trees in both is distracting enough where it detracts from the image.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

MMD3 posted:

Does anyone have a link to some good write-ups on star photography? exposure times, aperture, ISO, etc.

Stacking images is really the best way to go. Here's a Photoshop action that I've used, and I reckon anyone that does stacking of star trails knows of its existence.

As far as shooting the individual frames for the stack: wide aperture, high-ish ISO, and longish shutter, but not so long as to need a timer remote. Schur (on the site above) recommends 15-30s, and that seems about right from what I've done as well.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Never enough time to process trip images.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Col. Mustard posted:

Hey there fall color GTNP buddy!

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

onezero posted:

Chiming in with more kudos on that shot. Quite great.

I'm 3 days away from a roadtrip to Moab, UT, hoping to come back with a bevy of landscape shots. Going there primarily for the Skinny Tire Festival and doing roadbiking during the day, shooting in the afternoon/evening/night. Any one been down there before and have recommendations of specific areas that stand out?

Let me preface this by saying I abhor traveling in the Southwest in March. I've never had a good photographic experience during that part of the year in that area.

I've shot in Utah on a few occasions. Moab's closest national park attraction is Arches. If you grew up watching Indiana Jones (TLC), you will recognize a few of the locations from the young Indy exposition. Arches is accessible to anyone in decent condition. This time of year the number of tourists at the bigger attractions (like Delicate Arch) should be manageable. The sandstone in the oft-traveled areas can be slippery, and since Arches gets snow/sleet/ice/rain (all at the same time, sometimes), some of the areas may be treacherous. PS. Delicate Arch is a sunset attraction, and while it is a short hike (TO the arch, not the 'viewing area' or whatever), it does require some common sense and navigational awareness.

Dead Horse Point State Park and Canyonlands National Park are also very close. I've been to Dead Horse Point four times and, due to weather, have never seen it from the classical canyon rim view...

Canyonlands are a challenge photographically, especially above the rim. I've not come away with very many images that are both unique and exceptional. The photo in Canyonlands is Mesa Arch. The overlook of the confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers is nice. I would like to visit the False Kiva some time. The Canyonlands are also home to pictographs and petroglyphs known as The Great Gallery. It's probably out of season, but the park ranger who does the astronomy program off toward the Green River campground does an excellent job.

West of Canyonlands are things like Horseshoe Canyon and Robbers Roost, which are pretty remote. Robbers Roost is where Butch Cassidy used to hang out. It's also where the dude from 127 Hours was when he biffed his arm.

Things like Goblin Valley State Park and Monument Valley, UT/AZ are about two- and three hours away, respectively. I'm not sure you'll have time to visit something so far from Moab, but they are worth seeing some time (the latter more than the former, imo).

If you need some inspiration, Tom Till has been 'the guy' producing Moab-area postcards for the past billion or so years. Also, searching for Moab movie locations should give you a few ideas of what's out there; a lot of stuff has been filmed and photographed in Utah.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Mannequin posted:

How often do you guys focus at the hyperfocal distance? Or do you just autofocus on a point in the scene, stop down to f/18 or whatever, then shoot? Because that's basically how I did it when I used to shoot landscapes. I haven't been around a "typical landscape scene" in a long time so it hasn't really concerned me, and most of my everyday shooting is at the larger end of the aperture. But now that I am starting to actually read about this stuff it's quite interesting. So I am curious how many of you incorporate techniques like that in your shooting?

A combination of reading about hyperfocal distances for various lenses and using DoF preview will get you close enough.

Um, because this post should have a picture:

Leviathor fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 28, 2011

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Col. Mustard posted:

How did you get the sand to fall? Just dump a bucket up there? I like it!

Yeah, people scoop up sand in their hands and throw it on the ledges. The low-light in the canyon allows for some nice long-exposure "sand falls."

The summer months at noon, when the sun is high over head, are the ideal time to go. I was there about two weeks before the solstice in 2006 at noon. This makes the iconic sun pillars all the more dramatic, and the extra light filtering in doesn't hurt for hand-held shots of the contours.

The guides limit the number of people per session (I forget the number, ~25?), but the tight spots are still a zoo to navigate. There's a lot of competition for tripod placement if even a quarter of the people are "photographers."

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

brandino posted:

Sup doggy dogs, here's a Hasselblad shot from Yosemite this last weekend:

Half Dome from Glacier Point by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

One of the better views from Glacier Point I've seen. Excellent.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

20111213-20111213-_MG_2684.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Looks like you were on the north shore of Kauai about a week before me! I found the view of Kilauea Lighthouse from the shore west of Queen's Bath to be more intriguing, but still didn't shoot it.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

20111213-20111213-_MG_2738.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

And this looks like Lawai Beach. I stayed literally half a mile from there, and snorkeled at that reef many times.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

whaam posted:

What is everyone using for ND/grad setups? I've got a Hoya screw-on ND16 and some cokin P series grads but have been looking for a grad ND in the 100 x 150mm range to be a bit more versatile on the horizon position, the problem is all I see is these Lee kits that start around $500 just for the adapter and 2 filters.

Buy them second hand.

Lee and Singh-Ray both make very nice filters. Lee has been having production problems now for quite some time, so they can be difficult to come by.

What I took to Hawaii were two Singh-Rays, a three-stop Daryl Benson reverse grad, and a three-stop soft grad. The soft grad was used.. once? And even then it was 'topped out', as in I was shooting through the densest part of the gradient, and still not doing its job. Perhaps if it were four stops, or else just a hard transition, it would have been more useful. The reverse ND grad, however, was used at every* sunset and sunrise (*that I can recall).

I hand-held the filters in front of the lens.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Haven't posted here in awhile.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Drewski posted:

My dad used to live there. Princeville, not Poipu. I haven't been since Jan 2006. :/

But what a gorgeous shot that is!

Thanks. The south side of the island was really, really nice for visiting over winter. The surf on the north side was pretty sizable a few days, but oddly calm on others--for example, one day we were out on the ocean by Na Pali and were able to get into the sea caves. Two days earlier: 18-24' swells.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Drewski posted:

When I was there the Wailua river was at its lowest in something like 30 years. We were able to hike all the way back into the canyon where the helicopters go.

I took these photos way back then with a kodak easyshare. This was before I even knew I wanted a DSLR.

Kalalau Lookout by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Kauai Canyons At Waimea Canyon State Park by sulakkalus, on Flickr

100_0852 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Now that I'm more experienced and have much better equipment, I'd love to try to get shots like yours, but some bad poo poo happened over there and I'm not really a fan of Hawaii anymore.

It is gorgeous--I'd hate being hamstrung by something like an Easyshare. I had to use an older one of those once, and the battery lasted about four minutes on 'full'.

I didn't get to do a lot of hiking. Wandered around by Queen's Bath and Kilauea Bay a bit, but no real hikes. Snorkeling, though--lots of that.

Must have been some pretty serious poo poo to ruin the allure of Hawaii.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

xzzy posted:

Anyone got advice or links to a crash course on ND/graduated filters? I just got my first set in yesterday and I leave on a road trip in two weeks so that gives me some time to get used to how they function.

I'm familiar with the fundamentals of how they work but I'm wondering what the common gotchas or newbie mistakes might be.

I hope the grads are a real set and not bayonet mount.

The biggest thing to remember is to use the depth of field preview button to line up everything.

1. Frame scene;
  2. Grad;
  3. Use DoF preview to finalize grad placement;
  4. Expose;
  5. ...
  6. Profit!

Hand-holding filters is fine, just make sure they're parallel to the film plane/bayonet... angling them will introduce reflections of the lens bayonet.

I've found reverse- and hard-stop grads to be much more useful than soft-stop grads. In fact, I've never found a scene where a soft grad was more effective, but my midday shooting is typically not landscape-oriented.

e: Actually, I think I've used a soft-stop grad upside down in combination with a hard-stop grad, but I could be mis-remembering...

Leviathor fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 17, 2012

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

xzzy posted:

Anyone here actually shot the Moulton barns? I'm going to be visitin GTNP in a couple weeks, and while on one hand I don't particularly care to shoot cliches, on the other it would be stupid to completely skip a famous site like that.

I'm just curious which barn is the "good" one to shoot.. google searches suggest they're functionally identical but maybe that's a misinterpretation.

Are the barns roped off or otherwise inaccessible at any times? Or is it completely unregulated?

I've been to the Tetons three of the past four years and will shoot one barn per sunrise, given that I'm not elsewhere in the park for sunrise.

Getting a unique framing on either barn is difficult. Most photographers will line up along the ditches--one runs east-west, the other north-south (the popular ditch). This is the Thomas Alma (south) Moulton Barn:

Then there's the John (north) Moulton Barn:

(Need to reprocess this one badly.)

Get there early to stake your claim. If you want to be in front of everyone, the only way you can do it is by being the first there to make that the status quo (especially at the north barn). However, the cliché shot for making the Tetons look big and grand behind the north Moulton barn is by shooting with a long lens from a turnout up the road. The previous shot was taken by parking in the normal parking area on Mormon Row and walking out into the sage between the barn and that turnout.

Light at sunrise in the Tetons is "nice" for awhile, but great for only about a minute. Tourists never show up for the great light, and typically not even for the nice light. Other cliché sunrise spots in GTNP: Oxbow Bend with Mount Moran, Snake River Overlook (gg Ansel Adams) and Schwabacher Landing. Jenny Lake is nice in the morning and is probably one of the least-shot morning locations in the park.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Gambl0r posted:

When I shot the photo above, it was me, two other photographers (afterwards they told me about the crowd that had left due to crappy-looking weather), and two tourists in bright red jackets... the tourists decided it would be great to stand directly in front of the barn for the entire morning... I had to clone them out of each of my north barn shots. I kinda wished there had been a larger crowd of photographers since one of them would have probably chased the tourists out of the shot :D

I typically visit the Tetons during fall colors, which brings out a lot of photogs, hence the 'get there early' tip. Pretty much every other time of year (like my first shot above) the competition for shooting spots is much lower.

If tourists are being retarded in front of an obvious attraction they deserve to be yelled at. I would have to have emf back me up on the particulars, but one sunset at Delicate Arch in Arches NP, UT, some bald idiot in a red jacket was walking around the base of the arch as the light was getting good. There must have been 60+ people there to watch the sunset/photograph--more than I'd ever seen out there before--all lined up around the rim of the formation. (If you've not been there before, Delicate Arch is basically across a rolling sandstone face from a ridge that can be approximated as "amphitheater seating.") This guy was being a complete ignoramus. I yelled something like, "HEY! MOOOVE!" And the guy did. I received an applause.

vote_no posted:

Looks like flickr has well beaten me, but the framing on that first shot is really excellent.

Was it you who posted the picture of all the photographers lined up for the same shot? The thought of that still makes me laugh; I always avoid the barns when I go to the Tetons.

Also, while I don't have any pictures of my own, the Tetons from the other side (especially from Tetonia, ID) can look just as cool because you have a farmland foreground.

Thanks!

I don't think I have a shot like that, but emf was using my camera and he might have taken that shot. I have one from Upper Antelope Canyon with photogs doing their thing to get the light pillar in the canyon.

And viewing the Tetons from the west is a good idea. If I recall, it takes about five hours to drive from GTNP to, say, Table Mountain, which is a hike I once started way too late in the day. However, I would still love to go do that hike one day, and get sunset shots of the Tetons from the southwest.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Smekerman posted:

Went on a sweet roadtrip down to San Francisco, which was mainly beer related, then came back to Canada on the Eastern side of California, Oregon and Washington. Stopped off at Mono Lake, Painted Hills and Palouse Falls. Got some good shots on the way back, probably some of my better ones since I've moved to Canada. Thanks to Leviathor for the inspiration on the Palouse Falls shot. You're right, it's definitely more of a sunset location, at least in August.

Tioga Pass

Mono Lake

Painted Hills

Palouse Falls

Some really beautiful stuff here--I wish I were looking at them on a calibrated (brighter) monitor.

Tioga is really nice, as are the first couple Mono shots and the pano. Great job orchestrating the clouds in that first Mono shot.

I think I like 5, 7, and 8 from the Painted Hills best, but they are the more classic "safe" shots of the area. I think 2 and 3 would be helped with an ND grad--more color/contrast in the skies and background. The oof foreground in 6 is pretty distracting.

I like the Palouse shots. I'd love to visit the falls again (and Palouse during harvest), but there's just... nothing near there.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

BobTheCow posted:

Ooh good tip, thanks. Do you look for anything more specific than lower=better?

Unless going for a specific effect (starkness, star trails, contrast), clouds add interest. Plain skies force foreground focus, so hopefully you've found something intriguing.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Tucson, AZ

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Mod edit: MY TABLES

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 17, 2013

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Looks like we need to plan an SA photo excursion to UT/AZ.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

xzzy posted:

I wasn't nearly as impressed with AZ.. though I only got to cruise through the northern third of the state. I guess the southern portions get a lot more interesting.

Even the grand canyon kind of sucked.. I mean, it's an amazing feature and everyone should see it once, but you spend a couple hours there and you're pretty much done. Access is so restricted there's no real exploration you can do.

New Mexico is pretty cool, definitely worth a visit. But Utah is kind of the crown jewel.

I agree, and I'm sure you've done the same thing: getting across southern UT is best done through northern AZ.

The Grand Canyon is awesome in the jaw-dropping sense of the word. When approaching from the south it is really masterfully done, with road just leading up until bam! Big. loving. Hole. ... Awe. That being said, the south rim is definitely a tourist trap, with the north rim only receiving about a tenth the traffic.

The things worth seeing in northern AZ are more scattered with slower traveling than in UT. Southern AZ is quite gorgeous--both above and below ground.

I've never explored northern NM, but I've driven through northern NM to get to southern NM: Carlsbad was cool, and I had a blast in White Sands.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

I was a fan of framing it back when--I think that's still my favorite.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

David Pratt posted:

You really need to mask out that tree when applying the sky-darkening gradient. The sky looks great, but the tree looks dreadful.

Yes and no. I've tried doing this in landscape before and it stick out like a sore thumb. After all, if you're using a real grad, you don't get a choice.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Landscapes: making rocks look sexy

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Stop it.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

xzzy posted:

Did you sharpen it a bunch?

Besides, "Wow, gorgeous." this was my reaction, too.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Mill Bluff SP?

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

I drove that 'road' this morning!

quote:

Bayfield by TomOlson, on Flickr

Bayfield by TomOlson, on Flickr

Nice.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

I'm really digging these as well. I am amazed that Yosemite isn't SUA.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats SUA?

Edit: Oh you mean "Special use airspace". That photo was one of very few that were taken on foot but doesn't look like it. It was too good to pass up. I was there with all the other tourists taking pictures.

Tunnel View does have a nice up-in-the-air quality to it all by itself. Great work.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

drat you all with all your cloud pictures.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

I drove for awhile and took a picture.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

-CHA posted:

Leviathor. Please tell me that those colors were from the sunrise and not from over processing. Love the shot either way :)

Some saturation and clarity in the RAW editor, followed by some low-mid tone contrast boosting. I didn't mask out the mountain or anything like that for special treatment.

Five minutes after this, Sinopah was a bright, burning orange color.

MMD3 posted:

I'm heading to Jackson Hole on Wednesday for a week of R&R and some hiking around Grand Teton NP.

Does anyone have any advice on spots to shoot in that area? I'm hoping to get up early a few mornings and check out Mormon Row & the Oxbow Bend and what not.

GTNP is trivially a sunrise park. Sunset can be done, but it's more challenging: it requires exceptionally photogenic weather.

In no specific order: Oxbow Bend (get there super early to stake your claim, that's a sunset shot), Snake River Overlook (Ansel Adams' famous shot), Antelope Flats road (North and South Moulton barns), and Schwabacher Landing are all easy-to-drive-to locations with virtually no walking required.

Colter Bay can be pretty, and is easy, flat hiking. Leigh Lake is also flat hiking around very clear, and typically calm water. There are many little valley lakes in GTNP, so if you want a decent day hike or two, there are many options. I can't remember the one I did back in 2010 or so, but it had some nice vistas from the south end of the park to the south and east (down on Leigh Lake). Do you remember that trail name, emf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

MMD3 posted:

Awesome info, thanks!

So you're suggesting that sunset shooting isn't worth it unless you have some great cloud coverage? We were planning on doing a couple mornings of shooting, maybe only one of them would be really devoted to getting some landscapes, another morning we are going wildlife watching. The hope would be to be out the door around 6am, should that be early enough? I won't have my own car since we are flying in and staying with my significant other's family in a lodge so I just don't know how many opportunities I'll have to shoot. I know I won't be catching any great fall colors but I want to try to make the most of the opportunity.

This is the hike I was looking at: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=390684

also hoping to maybe have a chance to go tandem paragliding.

Really appreciate the tips, I'll let you know if I get anything good.

Yeah, clouds to produce vibrant pinks and saturating oranges are pretty much required for sunset in GTNP.

Sunrise looks to be about ten after 6 this week, with civil twilight about half an hour earlier. If you want to shoot Antelope Flats or Oxbow (the really, really popular places), I'd recommend getting there as early as practically possible. I usually show up at least half an hour early and drink coffee until the other 'tour photogs' show up. Since it's not September/October aspen season, you will probably run into fewer shooters, but when I drove down from the Snake River Overlook this past week there were at least ten SUVs crowding around Schwabacher landing, the caveat being that I did see a couple rafts going down the Snake when I was shooting sunrise, so ymmv.

Alpenglow only lasts for a few minutes, and since the valley is so flat and high, there aren't many interesting shadows or colors after the alpenglow turns. Afterward, the mountains reflect the oranges on the opposite horizon, which are, invariably, weak in color. There are rare instances of some bursting oranges, but if it's a clear sky, you'll get no scattering, and the pinks will be the highlight of the morning. For example, last week with clear skies I got some uninspiring alpenglow, then some faint oranges appeared after the sun eclipsed the horizon. I was packing up when the orange was washing out, and then everyone showed up to shoot the "sunrise."

If you're going to hit Antelope Flats, I'd recommend choosing your barn beforehand. The north barn is the one that's often shown with really dramatic compression (shooting 200+ mm sometimes), but those shots are made from up the paved road to the east; there's a little impromptu 'parking area' up there maybe a tenth of a mile or so. If you want to shoot the north barn wide, get there before people start getting to the pullout. The south barn is shot from the plain right by the barn, so you can park _right there_ and pile out minutes beforehand, if you so choose, and if you want to tip-toe around everyone else to get the remaining views. The most flattering views of the south barn are from the southwest in the treeline, imo, so get there early and feel it out. If the water's running high in the valley, there's sometimes water in the lower areas of the plains, but I don't think that's the case this year.

If you like being outside in clean mountain air, I don't think you'll be disappointed by any of the hikes in GTNP. I've never paraglided, so I can't comment on that, but it sounds awesome. I'd love to fly into KJAC some day just to see the sights from 12.5 or so in a Cessna.