Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
P5110827_A by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P1014479 by Dan Packer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

_MG_9678 by Dan Packer - Flickr2BBcode LITE

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

P7221191_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P3270441 by Dan Packer, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Wow, I really like that. It might work well in black & white too.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

I don't know quite what this, & it disturbs me a little, and I like it a lot.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

lol sunset

P1014479 by Dan Packer, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

P1014769_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P1014768_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

Oh God am I using too much of the borders? Please tell me if you think I need to knock it off... Happy for any other critique too, or not, if it's the wrong thread...

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

8th-snype posted:

any of those borders are too much

:(

Is it a borders in general thing, or just "art" borders?

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I think it's something like...

Actual white matte board around your printed photo: OK

White border on your basic atrocity Instagram post: dgaf it's IG

White border on your 'good' online pictures: no

.. Although, I have wondered about using it at times, as a way to get Flickr photos to display properly across both high- and low-PPI monitors. Basically, keeping the photo small enough that it won't blow up to near 100% magnification on retina displays and the like, but also making the image area larger than the bounds of an average HD monitor... Because somehow images on Flickr look softer if they don't exceed the size of the monitor along one axis or another when zoomed-in. Or at least that's how it is on my MacBook Air.

Right now I just ignore the existence of retina displays when exporting my full-size jpegs to Flickr.

(Also I like your first photo.)

Gotcha, cheers man. Reckon I'll leave those ones up as a testament to progress... :P

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Thanks for the short but brutal education, chaps... :) I still love the look of old black & white film photos, but don't have nearly enough patience to use film for real.

Opinions on borders on printed & hung photos: same as above? I'll stop cluttering up the thread now, thanks.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

thetzar posted:

My opinion which no-one asked for is basically this: Film edge borders get lumped in with sepia toning, grunge brushes, duotoning and other effects as "easy ways to make a photo look like something it isn't."

I loving LOVE the look of Polaroid Type 55. That look tends to tie together a number of things: (usually) a shallow depth of field due to being shot on large format, rich black and white contrasts, a deliberate touch to the photograph due to the trouble of shooting it, and of course those off-the-hook edges. Now, shy of selling a kidney to buy out remaining Type 55 stock and waste it (or trust the nascent New55 project), there are things I can do to bring aspects of that work into my work. I can shoot fast glass, I can process for contrast, I can slow the gently caress down and think about what I'm shooting. But when I load up a PSD of someone's scanned Type 55 borders and slap it onto my photo, I cross a line in my head between "making my pictures contrasty/intense" and "making my photos look like something they are not."

And hell, I've been there. Go far enough back on my Flickr timeline, past the actual medium-formal film borders I flirted with briefly, and you'll find the fake stuff: the photoshopped dirt and tears, the edge effects, the fake light leaks. I did it, and then I stopped doing it. Partially because it's so easy to do that once I'd done it, I realized it adds no value. But mostly because that's not what I wanted to make.

If I was purely an aesthete, I'd say, sure, what the gently caress. Pixels have no truth, so I'll just make something that looks good. But I'm trying to do something a little more interesting (to me) with my photography. Not that I don't think that heavy editing is a fine and worthwhile thing: I think all of those Russian girls photoshopping themselves in long dresses hovering over lakes holding umbrellas and whatnot are doing some lovely work. I wish I knew how they were doing some of that. But it's not for me. At least not right now. And when I do edit something heavily, I do it to try and make it something new and interesting (to me), instead of making my photograph/whatever look like it's something it isn't.

Film borders look great, use them in film if you want. Sepia toning looks great, use it if you do the process. Digital photography can fake all of that easily. Do you want to do something that easy? If yes, great, do it and hang it up in your house and smile at it. If not, find something harder to do.

/rant

Edit: I might be able to boil it down to this for myself: Don't disappoint your audience. If you use a film edge and someone asks, "wow, you shot that on film?" and you shyly say no, they might be disappointed. If you give a poo poo about that, don't do it.

Thanks man, that's a pretty good explanation.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

P1014824_A by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P1014807_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P1014816_A by Dan Packer, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

I really like this...

P1014836_A by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P1014840_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P1014850_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P1014858_A by Dan Packer, on Flickr

You guys were right about the borders...

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Still a newbie, but I recently upgraded my camera, which was excuse enough to go for a walk...

P7015554_bw by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P1015472_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P1015511_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P7015589_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Some fantastic stuff on this page...

eggsovereasy posted:

Some recent ones from me...

My gut reaction to these is that they might benefit from more tonal range or emphasis in the mid-tones, but everyone else here seems to dig them, so what am I missing? I'm trying to learn to properly appreciate a wide variety of photographic styles, even if I can't yet successfully emulate them, so if the thread feels happy to educate me, what do others appreciate about these photos, or what do people feel makes them good? (Serious question, not trying to be snarky or anything!)

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Megabound posted:

The flatness to me makes it feel hot, dry and run down, which works for the subject matter. I really enjoy it.

eggsovereasy posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but Its something I've been experimenting with on this series. I didn't consider making it look dry (its quite humid here in Tennessee), but like Megabound said I thought it helped show the heat and I felt it added a mood that fit the subject matter.

Ah, so it's more of a subjective mood thing, that makes sense. It certainly does make them feel hot, which is interesting given the lack of colour. That's an intriguing use of tone, I'll remember that...

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Thirding this, all the elements are off-centre, nothing is aligned, and yet it's perfectly balanced...

P7085762_bw by Dan Packer, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

I love it, great mix of lines and curves...

P7135897_a by Dan Packer, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

P7145982_a by Dan Packer, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

God, that is pressing all the right buttons...

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

op is taking the feedback on board and modifying the image, why be a dick? you're not offering contructive criticism, just pointless snark

It could be he was being sarcastic?

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'd usually be on board with changing the grade – Crush the blacks! Peak the whites! – but in this case, I think I still really like the original, in that it seems a bit more 'elusively vintage' with the raised black levels.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

These are great, I like 1 & 3 in particular...

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Ooh, that's pretty.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Fuckin' ace, dude.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

seravid posted:

Metropol Parasol:

Hell yeah. Not trying to be a cheeky bugger, but did you ever consider developing these in Black & White? I feel like the form & contrast would make them excellent candidates...

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

seravid posted:

I did indeed

I could've spent hours there, shame I was so pressed for time.

Awesome.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Good poo poo.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Yes.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

So much great stuff on the last couple of pages!

PB126495_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

PB126498_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

PB126502_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

PB126503_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

PB126527_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

I would like to second that "gently caress yeah".

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Tiiiiight...

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Are you ever going to publish a coffee-table book consisting entirely of images of abandoned plastic chairs? 'Coz I would probably unironically buy that poo poo. :colbert:

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

So THAT's why there are so many of those chairs around...

I've been processing a bit of a backlog recently...

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Raikyn posted:

Some of the bros getting a fire going to have a feed

Awatoto by Marc, on Flickr

Shot, bro.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

I don't know what this is, but I like it.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Loving all of these.

Incoming image dump from a walk about the city:

Can't decide between these two...

A Tribute to Alkanphel:

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Yes.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Is it still landscape if my dog inadvertently became the star of the shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Cacator posted:

Hell yeah to liminal space poo poo.

Heck yes.