Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

blue squares posted:

Love this. Tell me more about how you took this photo. Gear, settings? Motivation behind it?

I'm not the OP but I think the first two, and especially the first, are much less important than the latter. Artistic intent, an interesting subject, and an eye for composition are to me the three main ingredients of a great photo. Basic competence in settings matters to a degree so you don't unintentionally blow everything out or whatever but won't matter without the rest. Gear depends somewhat on what you're trying to do, but overall barely matters at all. They might have various limitations, but you can shoot great photos on a low-end DSLR, or a beat up old film camera, or a point and shoot, or a phone, if you know what you're doing.

I haven't posted (or shot) anything in forever, but just so I don't come off sounding like I think I'm hot poo poo, I think I have a good eye for composition, am hit-and-miss on subjects (ie sometimes the ones I find interesting are also interesting to others, sometimes not, or I fail to capture what makes them interesting to me), and kind of suck at the artistic intent - I'm rarely trying to say more than "hey this is beautiful and I feel lucky to have seen it and want to share it with you" if I'm doing trad landscape or "this is kinda dystopian but also cool looking" if I'm doing urban. This is why nobody will ever put one of my photos in their gallery, but I'm fine with that. Settings wise I actually gently caress up and miss focus or screw up exposure a lot but don't post most of those if I can't salvage them in post. Gear wise I just have a cheap DSLR with a kit lens and a wide angle lens, a couple of old cheap film SLRs, and an iphone 4. Oh and a tripod I never seem to have with me when I need it and always have when I don't. I rarely feel like I need anything else. I like digital because I'm free to experiment (or spray and pray) without wasting loads of expensive film, film for the tones and organic look that digital seems to lack, and the phone for being in my pocket all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Coming from a left-side driving country, seeing first person shots of right-side driving is deeply uncomfortable

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

If you want the central street to be the subject you'd have been better off with a square crop. The street along the bottom grabs my eye and drags it left out of the shot, pulling my attention away from the central street. Also, the trees and buildings in the upper left and right thirds are not very interesting but take up a huge part of your frame. Something like this:

Now you've got the pedestrian crossings leading your eye up the street into the frame.

efb

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 14, 2023

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

blue squares posted:

I'd love to get some feedback on this: not the specific technical execution, since I worked from a jpeg and didn't want to spend more than a couple minutes on it (and the editing is a little heavy-handed, I can tell), but rather from an instincts perspective. Do others think I am right to focus on this part of the image, and generally to try to bring more light on the cars versus the buildings? Obviously it is subjective, but I am working on developing my eye for what makes a good subject and the basic techniques for trying to bring the viewer's attention to it

You're definitely on the right track with the crop. I think the highlights in OP's version are fine, if anything I'd boost the shadows a touch rather than darken anything. Overall though I like the way the light sky and buildings mirror the light street, with the darker trees in the middle splitting the lighter areas above and below, creating some vertical symmetry of the light to go with the horizontal symmetry of the geometry, if that makes any sense.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

yeah they rock

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Landscape Thread: Rock Out With Your Rocks Out

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

gently caress off

that's so good

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

please don't post erotica in the landscape thread

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

this is rad and i wouldn't change anything about it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

xzzy posted:

(they're normally sand dunes but on this morning they were snow dunes)

sorry, no, those are mountains, not sand dunes. my brain says so

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Is that up around Golden Bay/Abel Tasman?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Have you posted this one before? Or has someone else here photographed the same building? I've definitely seen it before.

Great shots btw

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

yeah 3 and 4 are my faves too

i love the colours in 7 but the comp's not quite landing for me

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

love these

this too

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

:byodood:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

i like all of the photos in this post but i'm seriously impressed by how well-composed and satisfying this busy woodland shot is

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

that's pretty dope

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

yeah they're all great, though i had to open in a new window to get the full frames to fit on my monitor to appreciate them properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Only had time to grab a couple of snapshots but it was pretty cool

Aurora in Christchurch

Aurora in Christchurch