Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Lots of great photos in here.

Personally I like shooting mountains, but since my widest lens is the thrifty fifty often the scenes are a little cramped on my 10d. I'm just starting to get a handle on post processing...most of the time I'm simply adjusting levels to remove the gray in the RAW images, a bit of sharpening, and that's about the extent of my abilities. This, and other threads like it, are invaluable to people like me and I'd like to thank you all for your contributions.

A couple summers ago Waterton National Park had some serious forest fire smoke happening and made for some great layering.

This one I had to crop funny due to clutter on the bottom, I'm not totally happy with cutting off the lake, but it still works:

And this is probably my favourite from the entire trip that summer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

To celebrate my new 1DmkIIn I took it skiing:

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Suicide Watch posted:

Where do you live that you're able to go skiing in May?

South Western Canada! Whistler-Blackcomb is open until the 30th, I think...well technically just Blackcomb.

Here's another from that same day, although I'm not nearly as happy with it as the other.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

While working up north I had a chance to spend an afternoon in an old cemetery:

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Niagalack posted:

Whoa this picture has an eerie feeling. I hope it's intentional.

Somewhat intentional. It was a dreary rainy day and the whole place is densely overgrown:

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Niagalack posted:

I was planning on shotting tonigh but I dont think I will be able to... wife about to give birth ! the machine has started ! :D!

Oh man...is this your first? And so it begins :D

Congrats!

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Glacier National Park:

Beautiful country. My old man works as a border guy on the Canadian side. Your photo of Hidden Lake captures the essence of that area perfectly.

Nothing too special, but this is what the west coast is looking like as of last weekend:

galiano by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 25, 2011

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Not sure if this is a landscape or what, but here I am experimenting with my 10x ND filter:

2nd and Cambie by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

The project is to do a series of busy locations, noon on a weekday, catching one ghost in each image.

Here's something more landscapy, taken during a recent ski tour:

slope by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

trees by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 12, 2012

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

xzzy posted:

drat, I have never seen trees completely entombed like that. Is that a result of freezing rain or something?

At first glance I thought they were frozen people, or maybe snowmen.

Welcome to the Canadian West (read: Wet) Coast!

IMG_4909.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_4889.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Typically you'll see rime form on one side of the trees, but the place I was in has a somewhat unusual weather system.

Rot fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 12, 2012

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Falco posted:

Which 10x ND filter do you have?

My filter is made by B+W.

Goddamnit:
http://gizmodo.com/5899659/what-the-worlds-metropolises-would-look-like-with-no-people

It's not as if I invented this or anything but now it'll be "oh cool! I saw that on gizmodo too!"

Anyways, more snowy outings:

IMG_4510.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Can't remember if this is repost or not: Yes it was a repost.

How about this:

xine by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 6, 2012

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Kujaroth posted:

North Narrabeen by Aztatlan, on Flickr

These are all awesome but this one is fantastic!

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Revolucion posted:

Sure, I've added it to my post above so i don't clutter the thread.

For content, an image from an abstract landscape series:

I would love to see more of these and a bit about how they were made.

Content:

galiano by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

mundy lake by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

This is a nice photo but I feel like it should be cropped a bit? The subjects seem to be the trees, cropping the sky out a bit lets the arrangement of the trees become the focus, and the sky just floats back there, as skies often do. Hope you don't mind an example:

Then I really like it.

Overall I agree with your suggestion and definitely appreciate the feedback.

I cropped it the way I did because to me it seems to give a better picture of what the day was like: standing on top of the mountain, pure white snow, those crazy trees, and big blue sky above it all. What happens to me during a ski tour, is that I work like crazy climbing up the mountain and there comes a point where the whole scene just sort of pops into existence. Exhaustion, thirst, blisters, all disappear as you suddenly find yourself in this amazing and alien environment with this weird sense of THE SKY above and all around you.

That's me being all artsy and thinking too hard.

Another goal of my composition was to have a balanced diagonal run through the image with the sky reaching down into the frame roughly the same length that the snow on the left reaches up, fudging a bit due to the cloud.

I'm not entirely sure I was successful but that was my thought process at least.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

What the?

Why did flickr rename my photos back to the filename?

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

HookShot posted:

A few from the Eiffel Tower on a cloudy day:

Paris by hookshot88, on Flickr

Now that is seriously awesome.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

IMG_8578.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_8586.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_8672.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_8464.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Fantastic.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

I really like this, not sure if I've quite figured out how it's done. Is this a single exposure?

This is indeed a great photo.

Looks like one exposure to me: focused on the reflection in the water. Rotated 180. Appears to be snow in the bottom too.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

are you loving high this is awesome

Agreed.

Late to the party but this is also very awesome.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Hi!

I got back yesterday from three weeks in Peru and Bolivia.

Took almost 4000 photos, I've barely even started sorting through them all. Once I get my stuff organized, I may post a trip report thread if there's enough interest. Otherwise I'll just sprinkle a few throughout the genre threads.

Anyways, here's a couple that immediately jumped out at me:

Morning on top of the Amazon

IMG_0668.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Early morning sheep herding at 4400m

IMG_2149.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

whaam posted:

This is something else. The perspective, the angle, the motion of the grass, and the animals that I didn't even see at first. As someone mentioned earlier, I love seeing "busy" landscapes especially when they draw my eye in like this one. I guess my only critique would be the foreground is overexposed a bit but its so minor I feel silly mentioning it.

Thanks for the complements. I have to admit, I'm very proud of that one.

And this is just ridiculously awesome.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

whaam posted:

20s, f/16, 4 stop ND and a soft grad nd handheld, 2 exposures.

Once I get my gear back up and running I'm stealing your secret formula!

Seriously, very nice work.

My brother gives me poo poo for shooting landscapes in portrait orientation but I just can't help myself.

IMG_2008.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Ninja Woodchuck posted:

Really great photo. The tiny tree at the top, the rock texture, sky, everything is just perfect.

Slightly offtopic - going to Peru next month, hope to get lots of cliff pictures of my own!

Thanks.

If you look very close (maybe at the large res on flickr) beside those little trees on top you can see the ruins of an Inca traveler's house.

Peru is an amazing place for photography! Bring extra mem cards and batteries because you'll never have enough of either.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

IMG_4771.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_5224.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_5227.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Zhe posted:

Stunning, where is this?

Sorry, I missed this when the thread moved to a new page.

Best guess, I was somewhere inside the circle when I took that photo:

We were ferrying a machine from point A to Vancouver. Weather was moving fast and we had to move the gently caress along otherwise we'd be in big trouble. Due to the height of the mountains (the photo was taken at around 4500' and there was lots of trouble higher than that) and the weather, we had to dodge and weave a bit, which means I can't plot an exact course. I suppose I could dig up the flight history on the tracking system...yeah I should really do that one of these days.

I just want to say that during that flight I seen the most amazing, gob-smacked, breath taking terrain I have ever witnessed. Towering glaciers pouring over the mountainsides, waterfalls tumbling 100s of feet from a lake into another lake and falling another 100 feet into the ocean. Evidence of vastly powerful seismic upheavals and ancient volcanic explosions that have literally erased the tops of mountains.

Completely incredible.

Unfortunately, due to the flight conditions I outlined above, I was barely able to capture a fraction of what I saw.

Plus I was wearing a yellow t-shirt and mostly shooting through plexiglass windows, so almost everything turned out to be a glare-ridden lovely mess. The decent photos are the results of making a tent out of a coat, or shooting out of a little opened window (hugely uncomfortable and noisy for everyone).

140kt winds will tear a lens hood off instantly. Guess how I know this :(

This is fantastic. I wish I could shoot stuff like this, but somehow it never turns out. Please do what VomitOnLino says!

This is what 2/3rds of my summer looked like, taken one step out the front door:

IMG_4997.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Santa is strapped posted:

I'm curious what you mean by it never turns out?

I just mean that there's a certain look (in terms of colour, composition, and "feel") in good urban landscape photos. Every once in a while I try to shoot something like that and it doesn't work out as good as I'm imagining in my head.

Yours, however, works.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

one secret that seems to work for all the people in this thread who take amazing urban landscapes: either use grainy 35mm film or grainless medium or large format film

Haha yes that definitely helps!

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Kujaroth posted:

Another one from Nepal; Annapurna Base Camp specifically. The Annapurna Glacier & the South Face of Annapurna I.

This is amazing.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

single-mode fiber posted:

Decided to do something different in the snow today.

Love these.

My own snow day:

DSCF0856.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Hi Dorkroom, I've been on the road a lot:

DSCF0960.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

DSCF0118.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

DSCF0017.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Still not quite coming to grips with the new camera.

Anyways, arbutus trees are awesome in the summer:

DSCF0911.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

DSCF0917.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

DSCF0878.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Nice.

I wish my time skiing around Banff intersected more with my desire to carry heavy camera equipment to all these places.

Some day...

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Thanks guys. Here's two more off that roll.

Sunrise on Lake Michigan by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Awesome

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

I like the car one too. :shrug:

5B4A7747 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A7750 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Holy poo poo!

(I'm not too crazy over the car)

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Dread Head posted:

Dread Head posted:

Probably my last one from my recent alpine adventure.

You've been crushing it lately. Well done.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Wife and I spent the weekend at a friend-of-a-friend's cabin in the North Cascades National Park. Pretty nifty, as I ski there all the time but never been in the summer. My wife doesn't ski, so I was keen on showing her around a bit. These are all sort of cheesy as they were taken right from the road but we weren't equipped to do more than the easy touristy stuff. However, ski season will be here soon enough and I'm really looking forward to pushing deeper into this area.

It's amazing to see areas that you're familiar with in one season, and how they look so different in another:

DSCF1768.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Mt Baker Ski Area, with Mt Shuksan looming large in the background:

DSCF1806.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Closer look at Hanging Glacier on Mt Shuksan:

DSCF1785.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Beauty

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Putrid Grin posted:

x-post from medium format:

_DSC7964 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

This I really like.

Took my new lens out for a walk tonight.

DSCF3008.jpg
by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 16, 2015