Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

octane2 posted:

Here's some more from New Zealand, autumn, 2010.

Click the images to view them on a black background for shadow detail and contrast.

Come, Quench My Thirst
On a cold and frosty morning, first light bathes the scene as a lonesome wave comes crashing onto the shoreline of Lake Wanaka.

My thirst is endeavouring to capture that special light. Whether it's starlight in the form of tiny pinpoint stars (astrophotography), or the starlight of our precious Sun at sunrise and sunset.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
1/10s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso800

Alta Martianscape
A relatively tiring climb up The Remarkables leads one to Lake Alta; a 500m by 250m body of water nestled between the peaks of The Remarkables. Unfortunately, the scene was rather barren due to low-lying mist which covered the peaks surrounding the lake and therefore made it rather unphotogenic.

A short climb away, however, was a rather more inviting scene.

Here, I've captured the last glimpses of sunlight as our star settles in for the evening whilst loose moraine and beautiful tussock covers the exposed rockface.

Fingers numb, upper lip frozen, intense shivering, the surrounding red and grey -- it made me think of what sunset would be like on Mars.

3.2s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso200

Orange Marmalade Skies
Lake Wanaka and environs just prior to Sol making its way into the sky.

2.5s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso100

I hope I've made these rocks sexy.

H

Sexy.

Interrupting Moss posted:

Hi dorks.

So many awesome photos here lately.

Valles Caldera.

Awesome. SO how was the trip? I better get in the September lottery or I am going to just jump the drat fence in some camo gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Amazing. You guys and your drat water. :argh:

Feeling blue.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

You're pulling your skies a bit much, pal :)

I guess they are a bit dark - I was messing with a new monitor at work before I calibrated it.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Where?

Dread Head posted:

drat dude. One tiny little thing - stick or grass on bottom right on the first one.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

MMD3 posted:

mind posting a 1680x1050 version of this?

The processing reminds me a lot of some of Anton Corbijn's color work.

Thanks. I love his stuff.

Here you go.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 12, 2010

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

_MG_6139 by natebol, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Took these back in July on my road trip thru Cali.

_MG_5236 by natebol, on Flickr

_MG_5240 by natebol, on Flickr

_MG_5243 by natebol, on Flickr

_MG_5245 by natebol, on Flickr

_MG_5246 by natebol, on Flickr

_MG_5264 by natebol, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

... red filter?

I like them. Especially the first, if it weren't bisected perfectly I'd like it more.

No filter - just the way I processed them. The light was surreal there - it actually gave me a headache. I have a pano like the first that I will upload when I finish processing it.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Smekerman posted:

Went on a sweet roadtrip down to San Francisco, which was mainly beer related, then came back to Canada on the Eastern side of California, Oregon and Washington. Stopped off at Mono Lake, Painted Hills and Palouse Falls. Got some good shots on the way back, probably some of my better ones since I've moved to Canada. Thanks to Leviathor for the inspiration on the Palouse Falls shot. You're right, it's definitely more of a sunset location, at least in August.

Sorry for the huge picture tsunami. I would recommend everyone do the trip from Painted Hills to Washington, though, as it's actually pretty mindblowing. Oregon is basically a collection of high-altitude plateaus and steep canyons all the way to the Washington border. It totally changed my perspective of the state. Washington, by comparison, was very underwhelming, except the actual Palouse Falls area.

Excellent! My god do I need to go here and do nothing but take photos for a week!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

God. drat.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I found water in New Mexico. Williams Lake - 11,040 feet. Shot with iPhone 4s.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

macx posted:

Nice! Looks like the water level is down a bit. Did you go the rest of the way up? There is a neat stream about half way between there and the saddle.

If you did get to the top, I am curious if this guy is still there:

The water level is the lowest I've ever seen. We did not hike to the top. It was late in the day, pretty drat cold, and we were running out of sunlight. You live in the area or just visit?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

Last light on the prairies from yesterday.

This is beautiful.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Finally processing stuff I shot months ago. Shot these the end of September in Colorado.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

My general rule of thumb is anything <10% or >90% cloud coverage is a waste of film unless the light is amazing. This is highly subject though as I tend to photograph scenes with a large amount of sky in them. Even with weather reports I still spend a lot of time looking out my windows on days off hemming and hawing over whether it's worth it to pack up and go shoot.

This. Many of my images are 75% or more sky (see above 95% sky). But I'm weird. I've been pretty freaking lucky with cloud cover. I never really pay attention to weather reports. I just show up and I win the cloud lottery.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

Yeah, it's hard top judge based on a number alone. Here in Seattle I just know that 90% cloud coverage will probably make me unhappy. I used to take more chances with skies when I shot digitally but with film bad skies cost money.

Shooting film is a different story. Plan, hope, pray. Of course - it certainly matters where you are in the country. 90-100% cloud coverage here in New Mexico can be amazing.

It's usually right before or after a thunderstorm. Like this.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

You guys should just hibernate in the winter.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Great shot. Did you have any filters on when you shot this?

Thanks. I never use filters.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

MMD3 posted:

a few iphone landscape photos... one in pano mode (guess which one) the other with an instagram lo-fi filter applied to deepen the blues/add vignette

I so want to go to Mt Hood.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

If there is one thing the PNW does well (there are many things) it's mountains. On a clear day (never) my commute has an amazing view.

I was in Portland for almost a week. The view was absolutely amazing. Of course I saw that view on the plane - the last 5 minutes I was in Portland.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Groovy.

xzzy posted:

Portland is just a neat city in general. Lots of odd things come together.. massive presence by Intel, the print industry is huge there,
Do you work in the print industry?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

16 years ago, yes. I was working my way up to being a press operator when I got into IT during the dotcom bubble.

Cool. I work in pre-press/design. I ran a press 18 or so years ago.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

I like this picture a very great deal. There is something about that tiny city on the horizon that is perfect, but I cannot express properly.

I think you are looking for loving Awesome.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Where is this?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

_MG_8645 by natebol, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

This is awesome. I wish I had nothingness to shoot.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

God. drat.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks man. I've walked past there hundreds of times. Just a few dozen with my camera and this time the light was perfect.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 19, 2013

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

voodoorootbeer posted:

Love the repetition and pattern with the numbers and lights on the second one. Lines and color on the third are very pleasing. Cut off car and left building seem to take away from the composition of the fourth.

Crossposted from PAD and I'd love some feedback. I understand why people shoot multiple exposures for landscapes because trying to balance the sky and snow in LR was an exercise in frustration.

Welcome to Pennsylvania! by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Thanks. Yeah I wish the car wasn't there. I can re-shoot there anytime since it's just down the street. I'm going to go back and shoot all of those places again with my 50 or 70-200. I was shooting with my 10-22 and forcing myself to NOT get perfect straight lines. I'm kinda OCD about straight lines and wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone.

I never shoot multiple exposures for my landscapes. Snow can be a pain and clouds can be difficult to get right. Can I see the original un-processed image?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

First time popping into this thread in a long time. I like that stuff Whitezombi. Nice progression from work a while back. Have you looked into showing in ABQ/Santa Fe? You should.

Thanks! I am going to try and get a few shows going. I have a lot to do - it's kind of overwhelming actually. Are you from this area?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Fragrag posted:

I'm a stickler for absolute straight lines, especially on shots like these. I really like the shots, from the colours, lighting to the composition, but having everything ever so slightly off-kilter kinda sucks.

The image on the red wall is a bit weird in that aspect. I can get why you tilted up and the roof of the building is pretty much level. The sidewalk is probably sloped a bit so that's why it's not completely horizontal. However, it might the building itself, but the bottom windows aren't exactly level with each other. The right one is slightly higher than the left one and it's hurting my OCD. :D

I know. It drove me crazy to shoot like this. I'll be shooting everything again soon. Here are some test shots with straight lines. (As straight as possible everything on this building is crooked as hell)

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Formerly Interrupting Moss

Join a local visual arts organization, ask around for info. Volunteer. Submit applications for shows, grants, awards, whatever. Let someone else decide if you deserve it. Learn to talk about your work and decide what your work is about. Often being able to be clearly talk about what you do and why is what will separate you from everyone else. Don't bullshit.

e: I like those "test shots" too.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. Like I said - I have a lot do do. I have about 50 or so locations to shoot and I was using these as a test run.

I remember your old name but for some reason I cannot remember your work. Can you post a link or message me on flickr?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

poo poo. Of course I know who you are. Next time you are this way let me know and I'll buy you a beer.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

voodoorootbeer posted:

I found it really hard to brighten the snow without screwing up the sky, basically.

Pull back the highlights and bump the midtones like 8th said. What time of day was it? Can you go back and shoot?

Very nice. Where is this?

8th-samurai posted:

20130218-002-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130218-005-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130218-003-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

Shot some B&W the other day. Not sure how I feel about the last one.
The first one is excellent. The third doesn't do much for me.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

I'm really happy with the first one and can't wait to get the color shots back from the lab. I don't know what it is about the third, I was all excited to set my camera up specifically to get that shot and then it's just so mediocre.

Dude, you are loving killing it lately with these.

Thanks. I loving hate when that happens. So you shot it in color as well?

This is the best.

Saint Fu posted:

Reprocessed an older one

_MG_0380-247-257 by spf3million, on Flickr

Fuuuuuuuuuck. :gizz:

Reichstag posted:

These are pretty sick but I feel like they don't stand on their own, they really need to be in sequence with other stuff.

Thanks! Something like this?

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 22, 2013