Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Slotducks posted:

why the gently caress is the criticism in this thread so loving aggro? people talking about what art is or not wtf.

How is it aggro? Is it because it's pointed? I've reread it and none of it is aggressive.

Should we instead switch to a "poo poo sandwhich" model where we gush, trash bash, gush? Would that be better?

e: edited out foul language

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 8, 2023

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
This forum is small enough that reactions to a poster are going to change based on previous interactions. I think there's a reason it is the way it is in this case

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugmrgw:

e: but for reals i’ll try not to antagonise bottom liner

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 8, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

bobmarleysghost posted:

How is it aggro? Is it because it's pointed? I've reread it and none of it is aggressive.

Should we instead switch to a "poo poo sandwhich" model where we gush, trash bash, gush? Would that be better?

e: edited out foul language

Your ''it's not even art'' comment alone was enough to put me off of ever submitting anything to this thread.

It's reeks of elitism. Elitism that I haven't seen in other threads in The Dorkroom that I also read/participate in.

It was just a meta comment and question on the nature of the criticism in this thread. Especially in contrast to the feedback I received in the Concert photography thread.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I did retract my comment, I realised it's not my place to make that judgment. I wouldn't call it aggro though, just dumb.

I don't consider the rest of my comments elitism - the photo isn't good, and much can be improved by looking away from bad influences so he can create better work.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Better based on what? Your own personal tastes? Like this specific art can be solely objective in nature?

That's where the elitism I'm feeling is coming from. This notion that you are defining his listed influences and outputs empirically are

quote:

bad and not good

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Interactions with Ecchi are often antagonistic because of this:

big black turnout posted:

This forum is small enough that reactions to a poster are going to change based on previous interactions. I think there's a reason it is the way it is in this case

He knows what he's doing and he can take it. He's often said he's not a "photographers photographer" and is pretty often intentionally antagonistic to his detractors, and we back. Ultimately his photos get commented on by people because we see something in them but do not agree with the style in which their edited and shot, I think he understands that, and we understand that we have very different values and desire different outcomes for our photography.

Slotducks posted:

Better based on what? Your own personal tastes? Like this specific art can be solely objective in nature?

That's where the elitism I'm feeling is coming from. This notion that you are defining his listed influences and outputs empirically are

Don't confuse elitism with opinion. There are many photographers that I think are bad that other people think are good, and there are photographers that I think are good that other people think are bad. That's fine, we express our opinions on art here and those opinions aren't a truth, the important part is the discussion behind why we hold these opinions. This is something that bellows bought up earlier, the style in which the editing is done is a broad appeal to a certain instagram demographic that fetishises a "old film look" that a lot us think is just a "bad print look" that's so often used to try an elevate a mid photo. Saying it's "bad and not good" comes off as dismissive for sure but the discussion had already been had about what informs that opinion.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

yea that's well said, I'm not looking down on his work, my intention is not to demean and put down for no reason.
I'm no barometer for good work, but I strive to be better constantly, to do better and more interesting work. I want him to do better too, he has the potential as I've said. (yea yea, what's "better" what does it mean why does one need to get better etc)

Slotducks posted:

Better based on what? Your own personal tastes?

Better based on what we've currently seen him put out.

And yes we've had the discussion on why his photos aren't "good" and his influences "bad" and we can get into it again, I don't mind.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 9, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Ganging up on and telling someone their art isn't good isn't a good way to elucidate that you want them to do better.
It's loving bullying.

I've re-read the thread a bunch of times now, eventually, the tips and best practices come out, but god drat you guys poo poo first then help later aggressively. It was stark as hell to me I wanted to call it out. I'm not looking for a hugbox, I just think there's a better way.

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 9, 2023

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Ganging up is a disingenuous reading of the nature of the conversation. Who's in that gang? Am I now that I disagree with you? Anyway I fuckin love old bad film shots and I gotta say I cant imagine spending time editing when I can spend money developing to achieve this look

majour333 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 9, 2023

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I feel like the truth of it is that as soon as one person expresses their opinion then a lot of people with the same opinion go "oh, finally I'm not the rear end in a top hat" and feel free to chime in.
There isn't a cabal of tastemakers who plan to jump in and make the creative output in the dorkroom a certain way, it's just that some people hold the same opinion as other people.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

when the dorkroom gets afraid to start slapfighting over pictures the critique starts to become reddit-style platitudes, and i know where i can go for that!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

here's a portrait i took

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Here's one I took recently.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

bellows lugosi posted:

here's a portrait i took

First off - I like this dude’s vibe and it feels nice and casual. Maybe more contrast or is there a tint thing going on? He seems kind of washed out but I don’t know the terms to describe it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Health Services posted:

Nice! Always appreciate photos that break convention. A portrait of someone’s lower half is fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

the photo isn't good

it may not be good but it is cool

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Incredulous Dylan posted:

First off - I like this dude’s vibe and it feels nice and casual. Maybe more contrast or is there a tint thing going on? He seems kind of washed out but I don’t know the terms to describe it

Maybe it's the skin against the white building? My first impression was it's overexposed but zooming in it doesn't look like it is per se

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

"majour333" posted:

spending time editing when I can spend money developing

one day I might be able to cross over to this but first I’ll need to learn how to take less than 800 photos on a shoot lol

there’s a decent question around intention right? for example a very trad studio portrait looks a poo poo load like stock photography, there’s often little imagination. but that’s not the point, some person or family wants a picture like that for themselves. and it’s not like there can’t be improvements or constructive criticism on it, but it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to criticise the style, and say it’s not real art, because that was never its intention.

while I want my photography to be as good as it can be and grow and improve etc, but my primary intention is to end up with photos that appeal to people who may want to then shoot with me based on said photos. because I have fun doing it, and still genuinely like the style I am aiming for. and over time I’ve improved, become less cliche, develop more of an intentional style, but also grow and improve within all that.

and maybe I should do some different stuff on top of that rather than instead of. I’ve got a new lens coming which I am going to use to force me to have a different approach. and who knows what’ll happen

yolo

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Health Services posted:

I really like this one. You've managed to catch a very mundane scene but something about the posture and the toes or perhaps because we can't see the torso gives the photo an almost creepy off feel to me ( no insult intended to your model).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am a sucker for punishment lol. but trying to approach this.. appropriately

OK so out of the photos we took that day, this is one of the "nicer" ones. yes it's cliche with the blue flowers etc. it had an *awful* green cast on it initially, and I have done what I can to make the photo appeal to me and also her. I've graded it in such a way to bring out a bit more of a variety of colours in the background (although this was kind of a happy accident lol). I hate that can-of-monster shade of green, so I shift the hue a bit, desaturate it a bit, and push up some other colours. I've pumped the shadows a bit, hopefully not to egregiously.

I am pretty happy with this shot tbh, and I won't lie, drat I love this lens, but curious how others might have approached it differently. I am sure of course there's gonna be a bit of disagreement on the way I edit, especially adding grain, but that's a non negotiable lol.

my own criticism: kinda minor, but if I could go back in time, I would have adjusted her hair. take it out from behind her ear, perhaps get her to clip it up (which we did do later, and I think works for some looks but maybe not here). I am not a fan of that leather jacket, but idk if removing it would have been better though, and all things considered I suppose I would do quite a different outfit if this photo alone was the end goal, including the pearls, which I otherwise love but idk if make a lot of sense here. and of course I would have pushed for hoop earrings but I forgot (I always carry some in my camera bag as should you). I should have got her to stay in that pose for a bit longer, that leaning back pose, and get more shots with different looks and expressions, even though I am quite happy with this one.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

that's a good portrait photo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's the best portrait you've posted in a long time. Colors are way better. It still looks a little soft and the brightest part of the image is the background instead of the subject, but much better overall.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I think losing the jacket would make it worse tbh. It looks good though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

that's a good portrait photo

thankyou

Bottom Liner posted:

the brightest part of the image is the background instead of the subject

lol this didn’t stand out to me until now. spose I could try n mask it. thanks tho

there’s an awful lot of little skills and lessons to learn and employ when doing a shot. at first you’re just making sure it’s in focus and whatever is in frame and over time more and more refinements become second nature so you can concentrate on other things. that didn’t stand out to me at all at the time..

big black turnout posted:

it looks good though

cheers bruv

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Both this and the previous one look too warm to me. Are you adjusting the white balance to be as correct as possible before you grade/desaturate/mess around with the colour sliders?

I don't think the previous photo was overexposed and I don't care about the focus or anything. From a technical perspective I think you need to be thinking about the white balance.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

See, bullying works (I like that one Echi)

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i like the warmth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Health Services posted:

Both this and the previous one look too warm to me. Are you adjusting the white balance to be as correct as possible before you grade/desaturate/mess around with the colour sliders?

I don't think the previous photo was overexposed and I don't care about the focus or anything. From a technical perspective I think you need to be thinking about the white balance.

I will admit staying consistent with white balance isn’t a skill of mine.

that image .. was so god drat green, wish I was at my pc to show you, so I am really guessing at it, and trying to bring in skin colour that really wasn’t there in the first place

it’s an interesting one to try n get right, because it really relies on judgement quite a bit if I haven’t used a grey card which I lost 😭

Megabound posted:

See, bullying works (I like that one Echi)

lol thanks

bellows lugosi posted:

i like the warmth

same

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
It looks like it's daylight, somewhat shaded by trees. Your camera should be metering better. Have you accidentally set a white balance shift?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

why does white balance have to be accurate? who says we can't have yellow in the shade? live a little!!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I think it hits the aesthetic that Echi is aiming for without becoming a parody of it

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
...How long did you spend correcting the curves in that exquisite scan above?

Seriously though, it's fine to choose a different white balance but if a modernish digital camera is consistently giving a greenish cast it sounds like there's some issues with the settings.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Health Services posted:

...How long did you spend correcting the curves in that exquisite scan above?

Seriously though, it's fine to choose a different white balance but if a modernish digital camera is consistently giving a greenish cast it sounds like there's some issues with the settings.

I could probably watch a few youtubes on how to use it tbh

my experience was that if you left it on auto, within a set of photos, you might get the same image from camera but it’s reported as different temperatures in lightroom, and this seems like a bad approach, a bad way to stay consistent between shots

SO I just set it to one thing like daylight and leave it, lol. so that even if it’s wrong, it’s consistent. perhaps this is a bad idea. white balance, and ironically also consistently between pictures in a set, is really a weak spot for me

I could be very wrong about this theory of mine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

for whatever it's worth, here is it without any noise

it's not better in any way

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Softness doesn’t come from only your stubbornness with cranking grain. What’s the aperture, sharpening, and export sharpening settings?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
The green cast is from all the green bounce coming from all that greenery. Nothing's wrong with the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress I love me a sunset, basically cheating