Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

Those are actually all ambient, just a lot of curve work to bring up the fill levels. The 2nd is a composite shot of two photos of her, which explains the weird lighting. The 4th was a gold 20 inch reflector aimed at her, which is why shes so warm and bright against the trees. The 4th was just a matter of waiting for the sunlight's streaks to get to just the right spot on the rocks. Here are a few more outtakes that I really liked from that day;

Fantastic stuff, all of it, and thanks for the insights. So who are these people, and how did you end up photographing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Down by the waterside.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

dakana posted:

I like this a lot -- it's very well-lit and the color palette is nice. My one complaint is that I'm not sure I care for how the bridge runs right through her head. I can't immediately say how that would have been fixed, but I wonder if there would have been a composition where that could have been avoided while still keeping that cool background. Altogether, though, very well done.

edit: also, looking at the large size, you might want to burn around her chest a bit to minimize the way her bra is showing through the dress.

All good points, thanks. As far as the bridge through her head goes, I noticed it after the shot. Doing it again, I'd probably move her a bit to the left.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

xenilk posted:

I like that one the best. You have a great connection and the colors are top notch.

Agreed. Dude is very intense about his wine.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Are we taking bets on how long before the image on the left shows up in an anti-/pro- racism image?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
It's been a while since I've been able to shoot. Here's the last stuff I've had time to do.

Badrul has seen too much by thetzar, on Flickr

Clayton is tired of your poo poo #2 by thetzar, on Flickr

Clayton is tired of your poo poo #1 by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

I think this model was the last shoot I'm going to do in this particular project. I have one more scene in the works, but that's going to be a much more elaborate staging. I like what I got out of it but I think I want to figure out something different now.

Move this Way by McMadCow, on Flickr

Michal by McMadCow, on Flickr

Fantastic, as always. What are these borders that you're using/getting? Are you actually making prints of everything?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I think this shot is great. The expression and hair are fantastic. But if you're trying to be flattering (which you very well may not be, in which case ignore me), you might want to know that my first thought was "really hairy arms."

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
A friend of mine went and spend months and months traveling around the far east. On his return, I decided to take a couple of shots playing with the idea of dragging him back home.

we lost this guy for a little while... by thetzar, on Flickr

...but we got him back by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Brian sweats it out by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
And another.

Rrothbart is the Bboss by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

alkanphel posted:

Cross-posting from the MF/LF thread.

My friend bought some LED panels so I decided to try and shoot a quick casual portrait of another friend who came over to his house as well. One thing about using LED panels with my Hassy is that you don't need to bother with a flash sync cable anymore, and you can see how the light will be right in the viewfinder, instead of having to test with another camera or Polaroid.

Alva by alkanphel, on Flickr

Love, love, love this. There's just something about the color and texture of his skin, and the wonderful light falloff around him.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Someone stop me before I shoot again.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
A few more, trying to keep the people/portraits series interesting.

Steve in stages by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I really like this. Feels light and delicate.

A couple from my recent West Coast vacation:

Have Coat, Will Travel 1 by thetzar, on Flickr

Have Coat, Will Travel 2 by thetzar, on Flickr

Have Coat, Will Travel 3 by thetzar, on Flickr

Have Coat, Will Travel 4 by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Chitin posted:

It looks a little bright to me - probably your monitor.

But likely 'truthful.' There's a lot of squinting going on there.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

RangerScum posted:

Here's one from a shoot I had this weekend.

Hall of Doors by Myotomy, on Flickr

Love this. I do wish there was a little bit more pop on the red shoes/hair thingie, but that's a minor personal quibble. Where was the setting?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

LargeHadron posted:

Took some of a friend of mine. I like the wild hair on the first one, but I need to get better at cloning to fix the errant strands in the second.

DSC03129_a by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03063 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

I really, really like the first one. I really, really dislike the second.

The first has great contrast, an intense look, and a good use of depth of field. It feels dynamic and raw. She looks dangerous, and it's great.

The second shot, though, just seems meh in comparison. She's extremely yellow, and the shadow of her hair on her face hives her a very oval look, which I don't think does her any favors. It just seems... drab.

And now... gels!

Ryan, for the last time by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

xenilk posted:

IMG_0499 by avoyer, on Flickr

Huge weekend for me: Two weddings, 1 maternity shoot and one portrait session! Gotta love spring and warmer weather.

That is one drat permissive/well-lit church you have there. Why is the bokeh so harsh?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Took some friends to a cheap studio and made portraits.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
One more.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Verman posted:

I nearly jumped out of my chair. I thought this was my ex.

Well. I mean... she might be.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

Is there a reason you didn't get rid of the flyaway hair in front of her face?

Yeah, I kind of dug it. Right after I took this shot, I actually moved that hair away, but looking at the photos after that, I sort of liked he flyaway.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

Honestly it reads as a mistake. It's in the weird range of size where it's big enough to be seen, but not big enough to be an obvious choice. If you made the choice in editing, that's cool. But I wouldn't be surprised if most people are distracted by it.

Also, just a quick suggestion about her pose... I like how you have the tension of her body pointed one way and her head facing the other, but it becomes a bit too twisted and unnatural with her eyes back to camera. I would have kept it body camera left, head and eyes camera right.

Good thought, thank you for the time to give it! Looking at it now, you're absolutely right, the eyes should go right.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Mannequin posted:

Very nice! Good makeup, good lighting and great expression on her face.

These were some digital pictures that I took, but I spent most of the time shooting film. The lower/right (with the blonde haired model) was I think a test shot prior to me switching over to film. We did a few tests with my digital camera before changing over to film. I think I should probably brighten the shoes so that they're a little more visible. I'm hoping the film shots are much better. We had one or two more wardrobe changes that are not evident here.

Very cool stuff, and it looks like a fun shoot. What would you call the texture of the backdrop you used?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
So a couple of weeks back, I had the opportunity to use a restaurant which belonged to a friend of a friend as a location. The place was closing down, and I had one day in it before demolition started.

I decided to try something I had never done before. I called on a number of friends, rented some lights, and tried to see what I could pull together. I had basically three days between this opportunity coming up and the shoot date, so everything was very, very tight.

When I look back at these images now, I see all the things I didn't shoot, and all of the opportunities I missed. The shoot was chaotic and energetic, with people coming and going throughout the day. But I also view the entire thing as a massive learning experience for me. I'd never tried anything like this before; shooting, working with assistants, a MUA, and a dozen friends/models. Next time: more thought beforehand, more planning, more focus on the execution — lessons I couldn't have learned without doing this first.

Sorry about the wall of photos.

The Last Dinner Party 1 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 2 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 3 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 4 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 5 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 6 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 7 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 8 by thetzar, on Flickr

The Last Dinner Party 9 by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Paragon8 posted:

Maybe. I am too used to bowens crap to think elinchrom is lovely.

Anyway pictures as this isn't the lighting thread.

I very much like the first and last of these. The middle two seem a bit straightforward -- well executed certainly -- but not something that grabs my attention. The pose in the first one is great, and I dig the harsh-light thing. The fourth is appropriately intense, though perhaps slightly duckfacy.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

bobfather posted:

Pretty awesome concept! Who is the scary-looking fellow in 6 and 9 supposed to be?

As I was looking through the set I thought it would have been fun to have images 1 and 2 be of your evil chef, image 6 be of the same chef (with the same hat) but in half-ripped clothing, and then the last image be the present image, maybe with the chef's hat off but still in frame somewhere.

Really though, I dig the work!

Thank you. I now really wish I had thought of the hat thing — I would have done it slightly differently, but it's a great idea, and a good way to deal with the very real problem I had with models coming and going through the day.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
This was as we wrapped on the last shoot I posted, in the afterglow of the smoke machine.

after by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 15, 2013

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Gazmachine posted:

Bit late to the party, but this and the others are really interesting. Good idea and it must've been ace to have a chance to play around in a set like that. Can I ask, what was your approach to the lighting? What did you use and did you balance ambient with flash or just use flash to light the scenes?

Thank you! The shot you quoted was all ambient light, but the shoot proper was all lit with strobes. I had two giant softboxes and a couple of bare heads for spots, either in rear corners or above.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Intuition posted:

So newish to portrait work but here's three of my favorite shots, cause I thought I'd share.

gio in red 3 by vampiressjt, on Flickr

I really, really like this — perhaps despite and perhaps because of the remarkable tonality change on her lips. Well lit, too, and a good stare through that fabric.

A few more from my office.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

You've got some interesting moments here, but these are oversharpened by a mile. Really way past the point of distraction, and I don't feel like there's a reason for it in your execution.

That's interesting, because the sharpening is set to Lightroom defaults; and low for screen export. I think it might be more a factor of that rimlight than any actual sharpening that's giving the skin that texture.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

xenilk posted:

Shooting male models is fun.

IMG_2962 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2826 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2815 by avoyer, on Flickr

These are just fantastic. Was the model a friend of yours, or were you on assignment? The bold lighting mixed with the tight DOF really works here; was it all window light?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

AceClown posted:

So I took a pretty girl to a field during golden hour.

kimmy-30 by AceClown79, on Flickr

kimmy-10 by AceClown79, on Flickr

kimmy-45 by AceClown79, on Flickr

kimmy-42 by AceClown79, on Flickr

There is a few more on my flickr there, how did I do?

The crops here all seem really tight. Might be nice to get a bit more context in there.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

aliencowboy posted:

I love this one.

I do, too. The light toning and the bright feel just work so well here. Love the textures, too.

Here's a repost from PAD which didn't get any responses. I went on vacation recently.

heading home by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

FistLips posted:

Finally got around to taking a few more pictures of her!

AJK_3085 by SAFistLips, on Flickr

AJK_2989 by SAFistLips, on Flickr

The first one is very nice, haunting eyes. The second shot seems too dark for me; those shadows just drop right out. Is that what you were going for?

I've got some snapshots/candids for y'all.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I agree with the earlier comments, this is an excellent shot. I always hesitate to shoot people with my wide glass, but this shows how it can we well done. How close to the guy were you, and how far back was the softbox?

brandino posted:

From the SF coast last weekend:

Baker Beach 1 on Flickr

Baker Beach 6 on Flickr

Baker Beach 8 on Flickr

I love the feel to these, and the first two are excellently executed. They just feel casual and fun and high-touch. I could see them being used to sell clothes. The third one is so close, but I feel the out of focus hand is a miss, and I wish you hadn't blown the highlights on her face.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Were you using a reflector at all, or is all the lighting work done in post? The first one is great.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Yay, the portrait thread is back! I've taken a number of them recently. Been trying to back away a little bit; I tend to reflexively get close in to faces. Still doing it here, but attempting to mix it up a bit.

Mr Jackson by thetzar, on Flickr

Pennsylvania is the place by thetzar, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

bisticles posted:

I dig 'em. It's probably the style you're going for, but I'd want to see the light sections of their faces brought up a tad, to keep it a tad more contrasty.

The background you have going on there, is that something reflected/projected onto a wall or something? I like it in a "break up the negative space without being distracting" kind of way.

Thanks! And yeah, I intentionally cut down on the orange channels a bit, going for a little smidgeon of the tintype look. The background is a wall painted with blackboard paint; scribbled up some marks, then erased them badly. The same effect can be faked by doing the same thing to a large sheet of black foamcore.