Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

So would a concept beyond "quirky pose"

Ansel here notwithstanding, this is an extremely good point. This shoot in particular was more pointless than normal even for me; I just found a model in the area I was visiting family in because I wanted to shoot. I didn't have any concept or ideas behind it, I just wanted to shoot. I figured I'd just call it practice.

The more I do this, the more I realize that photography is easy, having a reason behind it is hard. When I try to come up with something, it feels forced and fake.

I need to find more interesting people to take pictures of. Also, I need to find a more interesting person to take the photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Excellent.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

drat synths.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

Nice lighting and pose, too bad the eye closest to the camera is out of focus.

Goddammit, I really thought it wouldn't be visible at web size.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I really dig this, but I keep going back and forth with how I feel about how shiny her face is.

I'm trying to guess the lighting. I broad hairlight, and a gridded or snooted spot?

I'm assuming the cig smoke is edited in. It looks... small?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I took some pictures of people in my office in their costumes.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

dakana posted:

thank you for taking some initially snarky criticism and rolling with it instead of closing up or getting defensive

also thank you, 8th-samurai, for following up with real feedback. That had the possibility of being really lovely and tiring but instead we all learned something. good on you both.

I'll throw my own senior portraits from this fall/winter into the mix. As I was going through and picking out some of my favorites, I think it's clear I need to work on getting some better laughs & truly genuine smiles, working some more fun into the mix. A lot of times it just depends on the kid's personality, I guess.

_KPH3261 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

_KPH0266 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

_KPH1805 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

_KPH2000-Edit by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

_KPH0050 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

_KPH1892 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

These are nice senior portraits. Are they all one-light setups?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

thetzar fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 9, 2017

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I couldn't decide on an orientation/crop.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Paragon8 posted:

what are you trying to show with a wide portrait composition. the background is really boring and way too much in focus. you can make mundane street stuff look good with aggressive depth of field to abstract it.

Also I think you're missing focus a touch on both images.

akadajet posted:

The cropped one feels like a better composition looks a bit soft to me. Overcropped?

I liked the wider crop for the environment; it might not be the most interesting in the world, but I liked having at least a bit. Sadly, it does look like the focus was off a bit on the tighter crop (though I think it's good on the wider one). I'm starting to think that I'm having focus problems that aren't just my fault; need to start shooting some targets to see if it's the glass or me.

big scary monsters posted:

Did you touch up her eyes/eyebrows in the first one, because they look a bit weird and smudgy. I think the wider shot is better though.

Nope, no retouching.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I don't know what's going on any more. I mean, I didn't before, but I still don't.

Verman: What up, design bro?

AAaanyway, I hosed up many, many things on this day of the shoot. Like this shot, for example. Under absolutely no circumstances should it have been shot at f2.8. But that's what my stupid brain did.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Sometimes bar photos work out.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I think this photo is great. I also think that is is incredibly awkward — the unsymmetry of her feet, the cutoff at her knees, the crooked bedsheet. I hope that's what you were going for.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

ansel autisms posted:

Bro she's pulling her panties off cuz she wants to gently caress

Funny, that's why I put panties on.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
This guy refused to take off his panties for me.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Huxley posted:

I don't know about deadpan but I am pretty familiar with the look you did get ☺️

I, too, get that face from her all the time.

Sepia is a phase every photographer goes through. Soon it will pass, replaced by a short flirtation with platinum-print emulation. Somewhere in there is toying around with grunge brushes and blurs and other aging effects. Then you learn to love true black and white, dismiss the gimmickry for what it is, and try to forget about that end of your flickr stream.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

elgarbo posted:

It's more than a little condescending to lump Sludge Tank - a dude who does a whole lot of actual wet plate work and alternative processes - alongside beginner photographers who are going through a sepia phase and emulating alternative processes with grunge brushes.

I know nothing about Sludge Tank's wet plate work. I saw a photo that was rendered sepia in post, and commented in turn. Actual wet plate is awesome. Fake sepia almost never is. This example included.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

atomicthumbs posted:

series completed

Smile by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

[/url
[url=https://flic.kr/p/TxxYo6]Smile
by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

I like that there's an idea here. I don't know what it is exactly, but I'm glad that it's there.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I suck at retouching, but I'm working at it.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

Did you heavily retouch the cheeks of the first one? It looks like there's a weirdly out of place blurry zone, that I probably wouldn't have noticed except I was looking intently. The second two are a bit heavy handed. What technique are you using to smooth skin? Try varying the opacity of the layer your retouches are on to let some of the natural texture show through, it makes it look more natural.

Thank you for the feedback!

On the first one I tried to bring out her freckles a bit on the cheeks (overblushing them in the process), but I didn't do any smoothing that should have caused a blurry area. Where do you see that? There's a bit on her forehead, but that's because I had my depth of field a bit too narrow to catch it all.

On the last two, I did some frequency separation (still getting used to that). She actually really had, through genetics and makeup, very smooth skin. Most of what I was trying to smooth there was at the high frequency level though, which I think I might have overworked, pausing any placisity you see. I'm trying to find the right balance to let some texture, but not too much show through. Good idea about the opacity mixing.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

Right here:

The area between her nostrils and cheek bones look out of focus but her eyes and lips are sharp. It's a little nitpicky but I was looking very closely and now I can't unsee it. I don't know if it's from skin retouching or if her facial geometry is unusual enough to have DOF do that.

Right! I just went and looked at the raw file from before the edits to double-check this. I didn't soften or blur that area at all. It's not DOF, it's just a very low-contrast and smooth-skinned part of her face... which probably stands out more because I DID selectively sharpen her eyes, cheekbones and nose. Here's a sample from the file after B+W conversion, but before anything went into photoshop:

Unrealtedly, here's another shot from the same model. Took a lighter touch with this one.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I'm really enjoying these. Moody and disturbing and intriguing. I don't know eactly how you're doing them, but don't stop whatever it is.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I'm guessing multiple exposures but almost don't want to know.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Yes, TheAngryDrunk's photograph was vapid. But drat. So are most photographs.

IMHO (Hey guys, remember when we used to say IMHO?), the photograph has the old woman-as-an-object problem, but is drawing hate because it's woman-as-an-object without a reason for it. There's no story being told here. There's a really hot woman barefoot on a suitcase on a road. But she hasn't walked there. There's no broken car. Why is she barefoot? WHY IS SHE SITTING LIKE THAT? It could be stock but even if it were stock: Who would buy it? What story can that photograph possibly illustrate? What emotion could it possibly convey or elicit?

Anyway, here's some more stupid photography:

Let me help you with that. by Jason Martin, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

She's slightly too stiff. Should have waited a fraction of a second.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Choicecut posted:

And one more "portrait" for fun:

This is, indeed, very fun.

I support this photograph as a high ceiling fetishist.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Tenterhooks posted:

Pictish Trail by David Galletly, on Flickr

Photoshopped photo of a musician for his upcoming tour poster. Got him to spew out strawberry milk a bunch of times and stitched together a few different takes. Going for a kinda-symmetrical-kinda not thing. There are a million mistakes if you look closely but time was tight and I don't often take photos so I just tried my best.

Well, that's fun.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

toadee posted:

Those are fantastic, although I think I prefer the first one, and would have liked the second more if his eyes were open. Are these part of a larger project?

Not particularly much of one, but more of the beginning of an idea I might expand on.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

quote:

she's tweakin' her nips

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

You're going to expand on shooting as many different portrait styles as possible and call it a series?

No, these are just more photos of people which are otherwise unrelated.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

ReverendHammer posted:

I genuinely liked this one of the older gentleman you took:

Thank you! I got to shoot a super interesting guy in a super interesting space. Editing thing thing down is very, very hard to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Megabound posted:

Downside: Got assaulted
Upside: What better excuse to explore self-portraiture.

Any tips for making these better other than "Shoot a gently caress ton and hope it's in focus?" I'm using a tripod and remote.

Shoot with a narrower aperture so you don't have to worry as much about focus. Put light on your face. Remove light from your background / think more about your background.