Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
yeah, except thats probably 5 different portraits comped into one :v:

not to derail, but I'm liking her stuff less and less these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I could care less about comping, but after looking into her work and glancing through some books of hers, her quality really seemed to fade somewhere in the 90s.

back to the thread topic; I always have a problem with posing, I know what I want the models to do but I'm not very good at explaining it, i usually try to show them the best I can, let them try it, shoot a few frames, then show them a photo to tell them whats right/wrong/what I want more of etc. I know a big part of this is the fact that all of my models/clients are completely inexperienced, but how do you guys deal with the communication side of it?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 20, 2009

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

when shooting on seamless white, how do you make the background come out black?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You did great with the lighting, but I'm not sure I like his expression or off camera focus in either. Good job.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xenilk posted:

IMG_3604 by avoyer, on Flickr

This is the best photo you've shown here yet. I would do an exposure adjustment on the top part where the light falls off (a gradient would work perfect) but you may not want to even it out. Great photo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't know why I haven't posted any photos here before. I've been a portrait photographer going on four years now. I shoot a bit of everything, weddings, musicians, portraits, seniors, and some commercial. This year is the big leap for me, opening a studio. Here are some of my favorite recent shots (all from 2011 but the first).

(this one is two years old but one of my favorite portraits I've taken)

IMG_5005 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_7569 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_8175 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_8804 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_9030 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_9332 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_0067 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_0216 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_1358 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_1508 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_1778 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_2601 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_2846 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_3500 by David Childers, on Flickr

Hu Fa Ted posted:

I would like feedback.

Click for big.

Honestly, was that a serious attempt at a portrait or a snapshot you thought turned out well? If it's the first, read up on some basics of photography to get a grasp on things like aperture and composition. If it was the second, then go back and reshoot it with an honest attempt at taking a good portrait. Snapshots can turn out well, especially when you have a grasp of how to use your camera and you can anticipate a good shot and have your settings right beforehand, but a snapshot without foresight will very rarely make a good portrait.

Here's an example of a snapshot I recently got.

IMG_3396 by David Childers, on Flickr

It turned out great because I had my camera set for the lighting and environment I was in, so when I turned and saw the light hitting her well I snapped a quick shot and the result was great. I call it a snap shot because it was a spur of the moment, mid movement photo with no planning or posing. It is still a portrait, but this just illustrates my point that you can get great candid portraits by knowing your camera and anticipating your needs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

My main criticism would be to pull back on your post processing in a couple.

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to do that. I agree with you on most points, I'm still working out the kinks in developing my own look and style for everything I shoot, so sometimes I try some out of the ordinary things.

8804 was a headshot for her America's Next Top Model auditions. She made it to the final round of auditions (50 out of however many auditioned nationally) before being cut for being "too pudgy", at 5' 11" 115 lbs. Derp.

The color with this one was done to match the other two in the series, but otherwise I would make it warmer, I agree.

IMG_9030 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_9062 by David Childers, on Flickr

IMG_9107 by David Childers, on Flickr

The last one was lit with an iphone :)

xenilk posted:

I'd like brutally honest opinions on a few pictures I took in 2011:

First off, all of your photos look underexposed on my ipad. Not by much, but enough to think they would almost all look better if bumped. Keep an eye on your histogram while shooting, or you may need to calibrate your monitor.

1742 is cute, and the sepia look is fine. Parents love shots like that. I'm not a fan of the dark background behind him but that might not have been under your control.

1182 is really good, definitely my favorite. It has a fine art feel which works great for it. Only thing I would change would be the red/blue color cast going on if possible. A nice warm or dark cool look would work better.

9348 is underexposed, and I'm not a fan of her pose. I would like her more towards the middle of the frame just a little, or you could crop off some of that right side to balance it a little better, it just feels like shes falling off the left side of the picture. Also, those boots are awful. :D

0596 Good shot, very underexposed.

7099 My other favorite. Good expression and composition, and her hair is great. I
would brighten her face a little.

4825 is weird because the sun on her face contrasts so heavily with the dark tunnel. She also has a weird squint going on. Another good model though, and as paragon mentioned you have some better shots with her.

6938 is great. He's a drat good model, and I'm jealous. I never get good guys to work with. B&W is spot on here. One minor thing with window shots from the outside; I usually prefer to shoot dead on perpendicular to the wall, just something to try next time.

Overall your work is fine, you have a nice style working for you in all of the color shots. They look like a cohesive body of work, and that's a great thing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

gh0st posted:

new year's photo resolution numero uno...more people pictures.

here's an environmental portrait i just made for a singer/songwriter (and her band) from new orleans.

it's a six light setup with most of it happening thru the doorways and the two main lights on an overhead rail.

I would love this if the middle guy weren't there. He throws it all off. The pose, the instrument's glare, and his lighting being flatter than the other models all bother me. Otherwise it's great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

m4mbo posted:

Shot some portraits at the Royal College of Music the other day, pretty pleased with the results:

I really like the second one, what did you shoot that with? It has a great timeless feel, though the first is probably what most people would prefer from a portrait. Being a former music student makes that whiteboard feel very familiar to me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

sw1gger posted:

One last warm day before Chicago gets killed with snow. Had to shoot outside one last time!

These would make some great large prints. I like the processing, it's especially nice in the first photo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm cross posting these because it seems like this thread is a bit more active than Photo a Day, but please let me know if I shouldn't post in both. Feel free to offer advice or critique, that's the point of this project!

I just started a 365 project, with the aim of staying active, developing better previsualization, pushing my comfort zone, and refining my style. I'm keeping a notebook with sketches for any ideas I have, then I refine them and shoot them for each days photo. I tend to lean towards what I call a cinematic style, and a lot of shots in this project will be made towards developing that further. I want my shots to look like a singular frame from a movie basically. I don't know how better to explain that but I hope it comes through in the works (where appropriate).

Day 1

Day 1 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 2

This was a drastically different style from my typical work, and I feel like it shows. I was going for an editorial look, like Wired or ESPN magazines. The arms are blown out because the lights were too close to me and the handlebars gave off a nasty shadow on my legs, but overall I learned a lot from trying out this kind of shot, but I'm eager to hear any tips or ideas to improve it.

Day 2 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 3

Day 3 by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here are the next few from my 365 project, I appreciate you guys' comments and critique:

Day 4

I wanted a fun shot today, and Evan was the perfect subject for a silly shot like this. She's a great baker, and I wanted to highlight that somehow, and this fits her personality perfectly. The side lighting was really needed to seperate the flour from the wall. I wanted to keep this photo simple and be all about the action.

Day 4 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 5

We were sitting at Barnes and Noble today looking through girly magazines when I had the idea to do a beauty shot. I asked Ericka to be my guinea pig and she happily obliged. This was a great exercise to work on soft light and skin retouching. If you light it well you don't have to do much retouching.

Day 5 by David Childers, on Flickr

Day 6

I've been watching a lot of Ken Burns documentaries lately and I wanted to create a photo that reminds me of his work. A big part of his films is the photos showing American lifestyle and culture. My favorites are the 70s era photos, especially in the Jazz series. I love the old paint and the mood the lighting, both in the house and the flash, create here. I wanted an old film look here and I think I got close.

Day 6 by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I had a session with a friend that wasn't very photogenic, and I had a hard time opening her up to the camera. I couldn't get any expression out of her but her basic smiles. What are some tricks you guys use?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidchilders/6724647341/ by David Childers, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidchilders/6724647605/ by David Childers, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidchilders/6724637489/ by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

paisleyfox posted:

Could someone comment/critique this latest shoot I did? Took a few save the dates for some friends of mine at a comic shop yesterday. I'm pretty happy with them, but not at the same time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thepaisleyfox/sets/72157628982710333/

First of all I love the idea. Definitely a cool couple.

How were these lit? The light is very flat and a little harsh, it makes everything feel more like an editorial shot than engagement portraits. Do you have an umbrella or anything? The light needs to be more directional and soft, and you need more contrast (not as in photoshop contrast level, but light) in the image, especially for romantic photos.

Also, be careful with some of the posing, some of it feels too forced. I generally just put a couple where I want them and let their interactions happen naturally. I'm talking specifically about the ones with the couple kissing and holding the book open, but there are more. Overall though, they tell a good story, which is important for engagement photos.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Those are great action shots bob, this first and the third are especially BA.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CarrotFlowers posted:

I do like the non-smiling ones a bit better, but she's got a great smile too.

I had that problem with two bridesmaids recently. They both had gorgeous nonsmiling looks, but then perfect smiles too. I shot plenty of both, but drat its hard deciding what's better between the shots.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I wrote a simple posing guide for clients on my blog, what do you guys think about it? http://www.davidchildersphotography.com/Blog/Posing-Guide-How-to-feel/

quote:

The first thing my portrait subjects always say is, "I'm the least photogenic person ever." Of course, they're being modest or just have a normal aversion to being in front of a camera, but with a few simple tips they always end up taking great portraits. I'm going to share a few of these tips, so the next time you find yourself in front of a camera you can use them to look your best.

1 Give your hands something to do

One of the worst ways to turn a great portrait into an awkward one is to have what I call the "dangling hands" effect. Never just let your hands hang by your side, it will almost always look unnatural and uneasy. Give your hands something to do. Put them on your hips, grab your hair, use a prop, anything but letting them just hang.

2 Point your chin

A strong close up portrait is all about the jawline, and the best way to accent your jawline is to reach out with your chin. Even if you don't have a strong jawline, keeping your chin out away from your neck will do amazing things for your portraits. This works for men and women alike, because a strong jawline doesn't have to be masculine, it can be very soft and feminine as well.

3 Lead with your shoulders

Very rarely will your photographer ask you to turn directly at the camera and face it straight on, so always think of your shoulders as a line towards the camera. Point one out towards the camera and use it as a guide for your chin, it will create a nice line that looks great in the frame.

4 Don't think about posing
It sounds counter-intuitive to the previous points, but don't over-think the posing and forget to be yourself. Some of the best photos come from the in-between pose shots, where people let down their guard and are laughing or engaging the photographer.

5 For couples, pretend the photographer isn't there

I love capturing couples interacting with one another. It creates much better portraits, and will always look more natural than posing. I generally place my couples in the scene and tell them to just ignore me and enjoy one another's company. I may give them a few directions but I try to just let them be themselves, because that's what they want portraits of in the first place.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Reichstag posted:

Sweet, a portrait of Missingno.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

somnambulist posted:

351B9892 copy by francography, on Flickr

The b&w shots are ok, but the color, lighting, and processing of this image is spot on. Well done, great photos.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I had a great engagement session yesterday. They were a really awesome couple that looked great together, can't ask for more than that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

XTimmy posted:

No1. Their expressions are a little "we'll get through this" rather than "Yay! Married!". What lens did you shoot it on

No2. Low contrast black and white is working really well here but her eye appears to have been missed by one of your filters/processing and it's a harder black than everything else in the scene. Freaking me out.

The first was shot on a 50 1.8. The lighting in the second was really weird, but I liked it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Katarena posted:

I need a bit of help with directing people. Often the pictures I take are of good enough quality from the back end of the camera, but I'm not too sure how to direct people into pulling faces and poses that make a picture so much better.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I want to do it in a way that comes across as sure of myself but not as if I'm a massive wanker.

I actually just wrote a mini guide for posing tips, these are the big ones I use and they work with almost everyone.

http://davidchildersphotography.blogspot.com/2012/05/posing-guide.html

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mannequin posted:

My concepts need work. Big time. But here's one from the shoot I did back in early April with a model named Alexandra. I have others to post and will get to those in time.

I'm not really happy with this composition at all. Distracting element on the left, open space on the right. Lots of room for improvement. I thought it would work at the time. Guess I was wrong! I also found I was putting too much head space above the model's head as I was getting used to a new camera. Lessons learned.

It feels like you're still in street portrait mode. It's a great portrait in that style, but I know that's not what you were going for. She looks like a really good model too, post some more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Serious (not smiley happy) can certainly work well for wedding portraits, but I agree their expressions are just off.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xenilk posted:

IMG_5941 by avoyer, on Flickr

Yeah, much better interaction here. Like this one a lot, would love to see it in color.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mannequin posted:

This one is much better. I think the hands match the rest of the pose fine. Composition is spot on too with the environment. The only issue I have with it is the cars, but not much you can do about that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well that example specifically was not correct, full frame certainly has a higher image quality than crop sensors, but you could say that about say a 5d/5dii/5diii upgrade.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The split toning in the first is really not working for me at all, and I'd like to see a lot less contrast in the second, but good lighting and concept.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fun session with a friend, trying some various things.

IMG_1740 by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

laney 2 s by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1943 by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

somnambulist posted:

I do find that photographing people is part the actual subject, and part the photographer actually being charismatic enough to bring out the best in them.

That's really his key. He works with great talent because of his name and strong brand, and he is great at bringing out whatever needs to come out in the models. Cool dude, his DVD set is worth a watch if you want to learn a lot of good tricks for working with your subject.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

But not as weird as dead grey eyes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Eh the original was fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ahoy, portrait thread, been a long time. Here are some photos I shot for a series back in Summer, you can see the rest here; http://500px.com/DavidChilders

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

thetzar posted:

These are great. I'd love to hear a little bit about how you used your lighting gear here.

Sure thing, any photos in particular?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Those are actually all ambient, just a lot of curve work to bring up the fill levels. The 2nd is a composite shot of two photos of her, which explains the weird lighting. The 4th was a gold 20 inch reflector aimed at her, which is why shes so warm and bright against the trees. The 4th was just a matter of waiting for the sunlight's streaks to get to just the right spot on the rocks. Here are a few more outtakes that I really liked from that day;

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 19, 2012

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

thetzar posted:

Fantastic stuff, all of it, and thanks for the insights. So who are these people, and how did you end up photographing them?

All friends of mine that I've photographed many times before. Yeah, I have beautiful friends that make this a lot easier :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

McMadCow posted:

And speaking of bitchin flowing fabric shots, here's Nick Knight:

Eh, this could be a cool shot but it has some really sloppy masking (hair, left arm) and the artificial white background looks cheesy. The blur all around the models body also looks badly brushed in. Good pose and action, terrible lighting and execution. Is that really one of his photos? The rest of his stuff is flat out far above that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

And it looks great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Don't get hung up on graphs and stuff, the final product looks nice and that's what matters. It's a nice washed out look that is very in right now (just look at VSCO and the like). It's obviously intentional and I think it would look pretty boring with normal curves.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Even with the missed focus this is a cool photo. That film really picks up light well, so much mood there.