Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bellows lugosi posted:

it's photography as a personality, becoming known as someone with taste, who knows cool people and does cool things.

you're spot on

echinopsis posted:

part of being a good portrait photographer is impressing people with the size of your lens and also the size of the front element. something I love about my 135mm is when it’s pointed at you, it’s a huge piece of glass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

:justpost:

e: but also lol if you can’t tell that’s hyperbole

It's impossible to tell when you're shitposting and when you're doing it earnestly. That's on you. Plenty of people have engaged with you seriously (myself included) and we're met with the same energy as when you claim to be joking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

why the gently caress is the criticism in this thread so loving aggro? people talking about what art is or not wtf.

Probably because the response to legit helpful criticism is so flippant and bratty. It invites more harsh words.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

maybe you need an avatar that looks less like a bratty child

You can spend the money to own me just as hard as the last goon did

Slotducks posted:

I dunno, I've been watching/reading this thread for a while - the feedback feels much different than in other threads. Way more declarative and way more pointed and harsh.

The feedback you personally gave me in the concert thread was positive, constructive, and extremely helpful; the other posters in here are harsher and bleak. No wonder echinopsis doesn't like contrast.

I think that’s just the culture of Dorkroom “main” threads. I’ve been on both sides of it, where I posted badly over edited photos and got ripped for it and defensive, but in the end they were mostly right and it helped me be better.

Anyone expecting SA to be universally chill and friendly is probably in the wrong place, but that’s also kinda the charm of it.

Concert thread is good and chill though, and I’m glad for it.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 8, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's the best portrait you've posted in a long time. Colors are way better. It still looks a little soft and the brightest part of the image is the background instead of the subject, but much better overall.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Softness doesn’t come from only your stubbornness with cranking grain. What’s the aperture, sharpening, and export sharpening settings?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bring one light more in front of the model and raise it up pointing down toward them. Move the other light more around back and lower the power a bit. Dump the hair light or use it bare bulb on backdrop to light it up more seamless (but not blown out fully).

Shoot subjects at their eye level at a longer focal length.

TomR posted:

This is a 24" x 24" sliding box camera I've been working on. It has a 600mm f/9 lens. These shots I was using it as a camera obscura and using a DSLR to take a photo of a foamcore board inside it.

This is a super cool project but the end result just looks like the 35 f/2 shot on a 5D. It's impressive how clean it comes out, but it still just looks like a digital shot in the end. Any plans to go full analog for the setup?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 27, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not sure which I prefer.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 28, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah side by side that’s way more pronounced that the standalone images imparted vs my memory of that lens. Is the second shot wide open?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, it could be cropped up a bit closer to waist level probably to lessen that. I'll give it a try

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'll do it, but it shouldn't be hard to get there yourself. Are you using Lightroom? If so, increase exposure by 1 stop and see how that is. If it's too much, dial back the highlights slider a but. Then use the auto mask feature to select the background and drop its exposure by 2.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That’s not a shot that needs 3 strobes and soft boxes though. Your background exposure is competing with your subject on the left side there. I think you’d be better off with a single source for that same look, as it looks like an off angle single source.

The framing is off just enough to be really bothersome too, with the radio being just barely cut off, the dresser not being level, the subject being just off center, and the awkward placement of that painting completely drawing your eye off the subjects head.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 2, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Everything I said still applies.

Everything I said about lighting still applies too \/

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 2, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tsietisin posted:

I did another quick edit based on what you said above.

Is this closer to what you are thinking?

Yep, much better

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Loving the 50 still, so versatile.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 5, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

fun comparison between these two: one was shot on a canon 5D classic with an EF 50 1.8, one was shot with an R6 and RF 50 1.2. About 18 years difference in the tech.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

grandcanyon (1 of 1)-2 by david childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah that rules

I did some family portraits for a friend and tried to capture more personality in their little one while still giving them the spring family portrait style they wanted

Pretty happy with them, letting kids play and have fun is 1000x better than trying to get them to pose and makes for better pictures every time.