Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Interrupting Moss posted:

Musician portrait thingy. It's a bit cliche, but I think we ended up with something nice. Only thing I don't like is that little shadow created by her ear. I should have pulled that light around.

_DSC5885 by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

What I like most is the shallow depth of field (even though this type of portrait reminds me of a high school yearbook photo (a very nicely shot high school yearbook photo))

My friend, standing on the top floor of a parking lot. I was 'freelensing' it. I like the effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

I've never worked with a MUA, what makes them Good/bad, and what do you look for?

I too am interested in what that is, do you mean just like shooting from the hip without looking the in the view-finder?

Well freelensing is this basically: http://lukeroberts.us/2009/12/freelensing/

As for the sharpness comment, this was one of three tries with an 85mm lens and for some reason (maybe I'm imagining this) it was easier to nail the focus than with the 50mm.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Glass Knuckles posted:

I believe its where you detach the lens from the camera partly, and maneuver it with your hand.

Fake edit: Yeah.

Furreal edit: ^^^Ha. We even used the same link.

Haha yea. I like the shallow dof it creates (0 aperture after all) as well as the fact that you can make pseudo tilt shift effects too.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

These are from a test

I'm a fan of blue tones.

--

Untitled

Untitled

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

HPL posted:

The second one is a little overdone subject-wise but I'm digging the first one. Neat pose and lighting and it looks like she's getting abducted by aliens or something. Kudos for paying enough attention to make sure shadows from her hands didn't get on her face or the rest of her.

I know, haha, the garage shoot is a pretty cliche theme. I was hoping I'd get some natural light in but we arrived too late.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bung posted:

My wife wanted some headshots for her facebook profile and for her corporate profile.

I softened the skin by knocking down clarity in LR and then brightened the eyes and teeth in PS. It looks a little overdone to me but everyone who has seen the shots comment on how they like her eyes. I am trying to build a portfolio for portrait, senior, engagement and family shots so they will be a little overcooked to appeal to the "unwashed masses".

Rainy by jefferyhoeft, on Flickr

I don't think the editing is too intrusive but I don't like how her forehead is cut off

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Just some random shots. I need new friends so I have more people to shoot.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

xenilk posted:

Thanks for making me stress about my upcoming shoot with a 1 year old! ha ha

What I did for my nephew (who I've shot from birth up until now as a 2.5 yr old) is either calling his name, or working with him - I go where he goes, follow him around and basically get great shots of him doing what babies do best, which is wander around. Now if you're talking about a staged shoot in front of a picked out place, then just be prepared to take 100's of shots hoping a few are keepers.

PS. the mothers of babies will like all kinds of photos, even ones that look a bit off to a photographer's eyes.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Some people that I shot a while back and I just got around to processing them.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Santa, those shots are fantastic! Did you have to lower the camera to waist level to avoid the "dwarf leg" effect?

Thanks. Not really because I was far away, using the 85mm. In some cases I was taller than the person so I just half crouched to get them right in the frame.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Gazmachine posted:

This is my favourite. I just ordered the 85mm and seeing these has made me even more excited, and let me tell you, I was already really frigging excited. Woop!

That's awesome, which one are you getting? I have the f1.8 and I love using it, it's by far my favourite our of my lenses.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

xenilk posted:

Oh my god, those are _great_

Looks like Mannequin found a match

Thank you! I don't think I'm at mannequin level yet though haha. Where has he been lately anyway?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Falco posted:

These are all fantastic. I love them.

Thanks. The more I look at them the more I wish I had framed all the people the same way, not too far not too close. Oh well.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

For the newbies (like myself) could you possibly talk us through what goes on when you meet them? Do you pose them? Do you move them to a better location? Does it all depend on the circumstance and location? Give us the insider scoop!

I was just walking around the streets and I was lucky because I had my gf with me. So when I approached the people they weren't freaked out or anything. I went up to them and just asked if I could take their photo. Most said yes.
I didn't pose them but if they were standing at a weird place I'd tell them to move a little bit to where looks better. I took 2-3 shots said thanks and moved on.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

xenilk posted:

Few portraits from last week that I finally had time to go over:

sw1gger posted:

still feelin' brooke shaden-y

Both of these have very nice processing done on them.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

xenilk posted:

Finalized the set I did with Alex-Sandrine :)

IMG_0611 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0628 by avoyer, on Flickr

I've been liking your post processing work lately. However, I want to say that you have too many different styles for one set (I looked through the flickr set. BW shots are nicely edited). I prefer the second photo's tones, can you apply those tones to the other images in the set?

CarrotFlowers posted:

I don't know where else to put this one. This feels like the best fit.

This is the start of a project that I've been sitting on for a couple of months now, and finally got a chance to shoot. My friend is the model, and she is awesome, I love her expression and stance in this picture. I wanted to go for a storybook type look, so not so photorealistic (is that a word??), but more on the illustrated side while trying to keep it not super over processed and gross looking. I feel a bit like a baby deer walking on new legs here, but I'm excited to keep going with it.

Scarlet Fever by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

While I like the processing, I think it's on the edge of being a bit too much - what sets me off is her skin tones, they don't seem too smooth (because of the contrast of the rest of the scene perhaps?). Maybe mask out her face and hand only and apply less processing on those parts.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 15, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

CarrotFlowers posted:

What part specifically of her skin doesn't look smooth? I did have her skin masked off for most of the processing, but I still wanted her to look like she wasn't composited in, so I did some curves and dodging/burning to her as well, just took out the texture and the super harsh curves. Is it that shadow on her cheek? I can see that part maybe, but I don't understand what looks off about her hand? There is also a weird bone or something coming out of her neck. I want to keep it fairly contrasty, because the whole scene is supposed to look dark, but I don't want it to look blotchy or something either.

Ah, I see what you mean (I clicked to see the original size). I guess "doesn't look smooth" wasn't the right way of saying "contrast" :S Now that I see the 100% image I can tell the skin is in fact not 'not smooth'. Her hand looks purple however on closer inspection, I'm assuming it was cold out so there is not much you can do there without it looking off.
It looked weird when I saw the image you posted at that size, but the 100% clears it up.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

CarrotFlowers posted:

Ah yeah, thanks for the clarification :) I will probably still clean up her neck and the shadow on her cheek now as those are bothering me, so thanks for pointing it out! Also yeah it was pretty cold out there, but if it looks cold, it's not the end of the world as it fits with the feel I was going for. I can't believe what a trooper she was, she was just in the thin dress under the jacket for most of the shoot and even though we brought a blanket for her to wrap up in between shots, I'm sure she was still frozen. She didn't complain one time the whole time we were out there, and I only realised how cold she was when we got in the car and she asked me to turn the heat on full blast for like 10 minutes.

Ha, wow she is pretty dedicated then! I like the second shot (on flickr)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I went out biking with my brother, came back with some nice photos.
Here we were crossing a field to get to a bike path on the other side.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

RangerScum posted:

I can't believe I still haven't gotten my new camera in the mail. I'm running out of old photos to edit!

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

I don't know whether or not you wanted c&c, but I had to say this about this photo - her neck with all those shadows makes her look really really old. The whole area looks "rough" to me; blotchy in a way. However, it's nothing that PS can't fix.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

RangerScum posted:

I'll always take c&c without any complaints. Though the only shadows on her neck are on the right side from her chin, so I'm not sure which part you're talking about. The wrinkle lines in her skin? Also the skin might look blotchy if viewing a small version of the photo, if you look at the full-size you'll see that the makeup artist put on some gold glitter stuff. I am not sure how sold I am on how good it looks, but ah well.

Ah, I looked at your original and noticed the glitter. It was sloppily applied to her neck (unless that was the intention, in which case it was not obvious), which added to the blotchy feel that I was talking about. By shadows I meant the different shadows around her collar bones. Also, like every normal person, she has lines around her nose and under her eye.

I hope you don't mind, I took your photo and edited the following:
- removed the eye and nose lines for a smoother cheek area
- smoothed out her neck by removing the messy glitter lines and neck lines
- slightly lightened her collar bone shadows as to not be too pronounced

It's a quick edit, and I could have spent more time around her eye lines, but I wanted to show you what I was talking about.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I had a great engagement session yesterday. They were a really awesome couple that looked great together, can't ask for more than that.

They look like they're repelling each other.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

whereismyshoe posted:

that picture made me reconsider whether or not i should suck it up and save for a little while longer to get a 5dII. stunningly crisp

e: also it's perfectly lit. good job

If you think that upgrading the body will get you crisper results then you are in desperate need to stop reading the gear threads here and elsewhere, where they push mega pixels and AF to not only consumers but apparently hobbyists too. There are at least 2 posters from this forum where I noticed they upgraded to newer bodies and spent 2-3 thousand dollars and yet their photos are still wholly underwhelming. Point of my little rant is: invest in optics not in bodies. A quality lens will give you crisp results.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

True, but lets say he's coming from a 450/550 series body (I have no idea what he is using) and wants to upgrade to 5D2. That will give him higher resolution photos but taken in the same style. So unless his style changes, the new camera will not produce better photos. Or crisper for that matter.

Lots of people on flickr or 500px use the old rebel bodies and their photos are great because of the idea/processing behind them FIRST and the quality of the medium second.

I agree with you that objectively he will get better photos with a better camera - in terms of image resolution and grain control, but not necessarily crispness.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Exactly. You can clearly tell he used a curves layer on the water to bring up blue in the shadows, and he left the girl completely masked out with no blue in the shadows.
Edit: he's actually kind of sloppy with a few images. The water near the horizon has been left out with no blue in the shadows, so it's kind of inconsistent.

He takes good photos, and using very good looking models doesn't hurt.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 28, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Cyberbob posted:

I actually went back to the RAW drawing board and started again on processing this lot.

Ended up deciding a different pose was better, with slightly different processing too.

Sorry, but I think that the post processing is pretty bad - it's too yellow/green.
Here is a quick edit. I'm sure the sky looked better before processing.

Your edit / Warm edit / Cool edit

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

You can always, you know, retouch it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

thetzar posted:

This is something I did today. My boss needed a head-torsoshot with a quickness, and huddled over my shoulder as we went through a few dozen options. He selected this one, though he wasn't entirely pleased with his face.

In actual use, the company will use the full-color version — but I tinkered into black and white on my own, and kind of like where I ended up with it in post.

mister stewart by thetzar, on Flickr

Nice! Pretty sharp, and nice composition and pose. I don't think I'd like the colour version better. But show us if you'd like.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Your work is always great, but I always wanted to ask you why you leave the edges of the photos after developing?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ah, I see. I thought that you left it to create a dream-like feel to it. (wow that sounded cliche but I mean it)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

Nope, Bronica just shot their ads with Hasselblads.
http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/photoads.html

Oh snap. I might cut some V's into my Bro's back now...

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

If you have his model release, just post the photo.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Was the goal to make him look like he got his eye coloration from Melange addiction?

Oh snap, da spice must flow!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the posted:

How do I take a picture like this?

Press that red buttan there

But in all seriousness, do this:
- get a model
- sit them in front of a dark background, far away from said background
- light them with a window/softbox placed in front of them
- take a photo with low aperture
- change to BW, add contrast, make sure BG has no detail in it
- don't forget to make your model do something interesting

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I haven't posted here in a while. The following are from a shoot I did over the weekend. I like the shots, but at the same time I feel underwhelmed with them. Maybe someone here will notice?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

aliencowboy posted:

Overall your subject either feels detached or has rigid, unnatural posing. Processing looks good.

I really like the second shot. It catches me off-guard and has some really nice tones. The composition/light in the fourth shot rules. That said, her posing is very unnatural here. I'd even suggest to meter for the light instead of the shadow in this case. Reshoot this one, making sure her shadow is isolated in the light, there's a lot of potential here.

As for the other ones, they feel more like snapshots than something from a shoot. Use the environment you're shooting in to an advantage and to play up your subject's posing, give your model a motivation. The posing doesn't have to spell anything out, but it should be evocative of something.

I know what you guys are saying about the posing. She told me she's not good at posing and I admit that I suck at posing other people too.
I actually did shoot the fourth one while exposing for the light streak, and she is more isolated in the light. I'll edit it and post it up, it was purely a coin toss between the two.
I need to get a wider lens for environmental shots, these were shot with an 85 on full frame. I have some full body shots but I'm meh on the background, I'll see what I can do with them.

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, I think all of those shots would be wonderful if they were of a model with a little more charisma or... well, any semblance of facial expression.

This was our first time shooting together (she's my gf's friend so I know her but never shot her), next time we go for a shoot I'll discuss the posing with her/facial expression with her.

Elite Taco posted:

I like this, but I think it's because it's kinda weird.

I'll take it!

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Not quite a portrait, but I really like this one. Looks like a video game.

It does seem a bit isometric, and her pose is like a robot's!

Thanks for the comments guys! She likes the photos, but I think I'll have to schedule another shoot to improve on things.

PS. I can't wait for the MF shots though! Just need to process them.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Reichstag posted:

I just solved the mystery of why you were underwhelmed.

Ha, we will see on Friday

evil_bunnY posted:

This is baller. In the others she just looks bored for no reason? Was it what you guys were going for and why?

IT LOOKS LIKE A PAINTING. But seriously the tones are sweet and I like the geometry.

Also, noice ink.

The theme was a loose interpretation of "girl walking in the city, daydreaming of the forest". The photos in the woods didn't come out as good as I had hoped, but I will revisit them in a few days, may be they'll look alright then.

Here is the re-done photo, which is now actually two photos stitched together. Why - because the exposed-for-the-ray-of-light photos do not include the speed bump and surrounding area AS WELL as the girl being in the right place, which I liked in the original. I like the wider view, however that STOP HERE sign is bugging me and I was not able to successfully clone it out.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 6, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ric posted:

The first one you posted is far better, with her head against the ramp and her shadow within that of the stop sign.

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah I like the tension in the first one better.

What I did like more in the first photo is that her head is against a one colour background, she is pretty well distinguished. In the second, she seems a bit cramped. However, I like the light and shadow play more in the second shot.

KingColliwog posted:

Where can we see the first one, lurked a few pages of his flickr and couldn't find it

Here is the original

nonanone posted:

I like the new one better. The flow feels better to me, looking at it.

I think I will keep the new one for now.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I like he feel/processing on all of them.
The second one looks good to me, by looking at the photo I can easily make up a back story to the photo, so I'm guessing that's job well done on your theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

sw1gger posted:

Money. All of 'em. Well done sir.

Recently contacted by a couple wanting to spruce up their modeling/promotional portfolios:

The shoot overall was really sloppy (no assistant, only an hour to work with, on-location with the studio lights, etc). Plus they picked their outfits/location. If I had known she was going to be dressed in leather, I would have told her not to meet me at a fricken' beach.

The second shot is pretty good! The subject is a little bit too much to the left for my liking but I'm being picky. I like the balanced lighting, the processing is at the limit of being 'over the line'. Good stuff.

RangerScum posted:

I've been out of it for a while but a couple recent shoots are helping me to get back into a shooting mindset again.

Mikey by Myotomy, on Flickr

Chris by Myotomy, on Flickr

Nothing fancy but at least I don't hate them with a passion. Some of the focus isn't even top notch but we didn't really care at the time and the imperfection grew on me a bit.

These two are my favourites, I just wish (as was already stated) that the clarity slider wasn't pushed all the way to the right. The lighting is great though - I like the overexposed look.