Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
So there I was kickin' back watching from West Wing after a long rear end day - My wife calls me and says "Evan, I found your favorite bird chillin' by the bridge. If you hurry, you can catch him". I hang up without saying anything, put on my slips (not slippers, more of a flat bottom skater shoe) and haul rear end. It was a little further than I expected, so midway the run I was regretting not driving the car.

I get there completely out of breath (I ride a road bike and hate running) to see a :swoon: Green Heron :swoon: hunting. Once I see he's going to be there for a bit, I run back to the house, get the 400 and tripod, and drive back. Here are the results:

G+ did a bunch of auto processing for me, so you can see the originals and a few more shots with EXIF data found here: https://plus.google.com/photos/106495651918093410761/albums/5885049042192445489

e: Got some crazy shin splints. Thanks shittie skater shoes.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Cru Jones posted:

Still hasn't really turned into summer here, so I thought I'd share this one from the spring

Also...you're not fooling anyone.

I tried to think of a killdeer joke that wasn't cruel to deer, but I couldn't. Pretend I did though.

Also, I love the contrast robin's offer. Your shot with the rain/snow makes him look so sad :smith:. Nice.

I took this a while back, but haven't posted. Having the breast lit better in the second one would have been nice, but I had the red from the pepperbush (or was it a Holly... I can't remember).

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Casu Marzu posted:

I dunno if this is better served in this or the gear thread, but I have just over $1000 to work with and I want a dedicated wildlife lens.

My thoughts are either the Sigma 50-500, Canon 100-400L or the Canon 400 5.6L. I think I'd rather have a zoom over a prime though, since it would be my only lens right now over 50mm.

One more for the 400 f5.6 camp. I can't think of an instance where I wish I had a zoom while shooting wildlife because I was just too close and needed to back out a bit. The 100-400 has IS, but I think there is a consensus that the 400 is sharper and the AF is king.

It still retails for 1.2 and I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

pal670 posted:

Anyone that can identify these birds? I am new to this sort of stuff, so have little to no knowledge, but am slowly going to learn.

Screech by Paul-Frank Photography, on Flickr

He's hungry by Paul-Frank Photography, on Flickr

Flyover by Paul-Frank Photography, on Flickr

Give http://identify.whatbird.com/mwg/_/0/attrs.aspx a try - it's helped me in the past.

The colors on the first and last images you posted reminds me of juve Bald Eagles, but it's looking too uniform for that.

e: every loving time I get the first post on a new page my heart stops because I'm afraid I posted a new thread. :ohdear:

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Actually brought my camera along on my lunch walk today...

Yellow eye, green bird on Flickr

By yellow eye green bird you mean "Green Heron". :colbert:

These guys are very shy so good working finding him.