Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I recently got my hands on a Fuji 70-300 and I love it. More red winged blackbirds for the pile

And a barn swallow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

p0stal b0b posted:

I had the good fortune to get some pics of a native New Zealand wood pigeon, or kererū, which perched briefly outside my kitchen window this morning. These guys have the approximate aerodynamics of a bumblebee and a habit of trying to perch on branches that simply can't support their fat asses. They then eat fermented berries until they get so drunk they fall out of the tree. :allears:

So, a pretty typical representation of a New Zealander, then.
These are so great.

I sat on the ground waiting for this great blue heron to go after a fish for about 15 minutes. Eventually I gave up and stood up to walk away. That startled him and he flew away, and of course I had already flicked my camera off so I missed my chance to catch him in the air.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Fraggle Rock lookin-rear end bird (great pics though)

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Brrrmph posted:

Oh, those are delightful.

This isn’t a great picture, but it’s the first day of spring and in Minnesota that’s a beautiful thing. :unsmith:

Hello Minnesota friend. If you're in the metro area, the best birds are at Murphy-Hanrehan around this time. I'm going to be heading there next weekend to see what I can see.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's just a popular destination for herons, blackbirds, swans, etc. when they migrate north around this time. They have an osprey nest, as well, though I think it's inconsistently used. I first got interested in birding after a very impressive hike there a few years ago.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

xzzy posted:

They are insanely common in the midwest. Well they're common all over NA but you can't throw a rock without hitting one in Illinois. If you're ever out there find a local prairie preserve and you'll see dozens.

You'll hear them first though. They are noisy dudes.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

:wow:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

A green heron and some great blue herons

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 1, 2023

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008