Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Finally got the Nikon 200-500 5.6E back from the repair shop. It was out since April because they couldn't get parts to fix the VR.

This one is with the Z 100-400 4.5-5.6 S and an owl hiding behind an irritating amount of foliage:

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Pollen is a helluva drug

DSC_3435 by Brian G, on Flickr

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

DSC_3851 by Brian G, on Flickr
Whoa

DSC_3852 by Brian G, on Flickr
So pretty

DSC_3868 by Brian G, on Flickr
What majest-

DSC_3879 by Brian G, on Flickr
hahaha

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Good lord these birds are so kinetic I love that you caught one inviting you into the abyss. WE ALL FLY DOWN HERE

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I've had a very red wingey day:

DSC_0676 by Brian G, on Flickr
DSC_0680 by Brian G, on Flickr
DSC_0767 by Brian G, on Flickr
DSC_0842 by Brian G, on Flickr
DSC_0858 by Brian G, on Flickr

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

^^^ Holy crap that's awesome!

DSC_1748 by Brian G, on Flickr
DSC_1774 by Brian G, on Flickr

This is Rodney the (Cooper's?) hawk and it gets no respect, no respect at alls I tells ya: Shortly after these pictures it got chased off by a very, very angry hummingbird only to land in another tree where it was assailed by a group of pissed off Stellar's Jays. I could hear it's irritated screeching for hours after no doubt still being chased from tree to tree.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 6, 2023

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

A hummingbird and a finch.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Got some Crocosmia plants that have been blooming since late July and the hummingbirds are in love with them.

Also finally snapped a tribute to the thread:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

blue squares posted:

Great loving pictures. What are your exposure settings?

1/2500 seems like a pretty good sweet spot with a f5.6 zoom so far. It doesn't always freeze the wings but it does well enough without having to blow the ISO into sandpaper territory. The real hero in all this is Lightroom denoise which makes higher ISO much less of a concern.

Edit: At 1/2500 as long as you got a camera that can slam frames per second you're gonna get a shot with "frozen" wings when they hit the end of a stroke and have to reverse. This is what happened in the first shot above. Otherwise as pointed out you'll need to push into 1/4000 and at that point the sun is your only friend.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 27, 2023

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

torgeaux posted:

So, you want to try to capture that great morning light with the hummingbirds? gently caress you, the setup is too hard to get them in focus. Some good stuff anyway, including the effect of forcing the electric shutter at 1/10,000 of a second.

Humming Bird in Flight Electric Shutter by B. B., on Flickr

Hummingbirds are so past tense. The future is octahedrabirds!

Great shots!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

This one is really cool.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

majour333 posted:

Midnight the neighborhood beach chicken, harasser of squirrels, wild turkey respecter

I need more details about what happens when an uppity chicken meets a for real wild turkey! Is Midnight only alive because the turkey didn't really care?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

toggle posted:

I haven't posted in ages, shameful.

Here are some birds.

Sorry for post necromancy but did you use a polarizer filter in this?

Do you use circular polarizers at all and if so which one?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Thread now osprey chat.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

I'm trying out a week of free Lightroom (or paying for a month, it's memory roulette!) and I tried putting this Daurian Redstart through the auto-adjust and denoiser. Not quite sure how I feel about it yet, the auto seems fairly competent at judging the mood but it does seem to favor an Instagram style color pop.

Subjectively the Auto option seems to really like cranking the "Vibrance" value which might be the cause of your concern? The AI denoising feature is relatively new but seems to work well.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Finally got a hold of a Nikon 180-600 only to get trolled by a Northern Harrier who thoroughly defeated me and the focus system, but really the former. Here's what kinda worked out otherwise:

DSC_6465
DSC_6232-Enhanced-NR
DSC_6292

Bonus Heron turning itself into a pretzel:

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

No, stop, Australia go home, you're drunk. Great shots