Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Hi thread, my name is dupersaurus and I've become a bird photographer. Along with setting up an automatic camera on my feeder, I've been renting lenses I might want to buy and taking pictures of birds with them

D5500, 18-300mm 3.8-5.6

A few months ago I rented the 200-500, for some reason under the idea that I could take it on a trip (also on the D5500)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Captain Charisma posted:

welcome to the thread!! that 200-500 is a beast, I rented it myself last month and hoo boy

took me several seconds to realize that this is shot from behind and not a pic of Mike Wazowski in bird form. excellent shot

It is truly the finest photograph I have ever taken

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I'm in Iceland playing "let's take pictures of birds with too short of a lens". Let's see how it's going, part 1/?

Seagulls of some flavor

Redwings

Arctic terns nesting

Red-necked Phalarope

Arctic tern and an Eurasian Oystercatcher

Common Eider

All shots Nikon D5500 with the 24-120mm f4

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

EPICAC posted:

Top is Northern Fulmar, bottom two are Black-legged Kittiwakes

Noted! Thanks

Atlatl posted:

the kittiwake pics are probably better with the context that they're on a cliff vice being zoomed way in imo

Oddly enough, other than the phalaropes, those two are the closest I managed to get to.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Was flipping through stuff and ran across the pictures I took earlier this year when I rented the Nikon 200-500mm for a weekend. Among other things, I camped my feeder at just about the minimum focus distance.

I also built a raspberry pi feeder cam that I occasionally put out. The quality isn’t great, but it’s point-blank

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Phone pic but we stumbled upon this buddy while walking around St Pete. It was poking around some bushes looking for lizards. We didn’t see it until it jumped away from us, but otherwise didn’t seem too bothered by us.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Not sure what this is, looks Pigeonish but it was quite small, and flew off before I could switch over to my 100-400

ianae but looks like a common starling

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Haven't been out to get stills, but I've been setting my gopro up around my feeder and have been getting some close-in slow-mo shots of all of my little doofuses. Here's a supercut of some of the best clips so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnmZdYYE0_U

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

The other weekend I rented some long lenses to try out, and what else was I going to use them on??? My hand-shooting is pretty garbage, but I ran out and got an actually-good tripod and :discourse: I did this planning to get me a good long lens, but instead I came out thinking it might be time to upgrade the camera... thinking D500 or maybe even jumping to mirrorless with an EOS R7.

Pine Warbler (full-stop one of the best pictures I've ever taken)

Blue Jay

Eastern Bluebirds

Mourning Dove

Purple Finches

Great Blue Heron

Great Northern Assholes

Carolina Wren

Brown-Headed Nuthatch

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Slotducks posted:

Your situation is exactly like mine haha.
Started off with a D5600, grabbed a G1 Tamron 150-600 then quickly decided to jump in and grab a used D500.

Part of me right now wishes I made the leap to Mirrorless, but the cost is/was absurd to jump in. What a silly hobby we find ourselves in. Your hand-shooting will get better with time with the long lenses, muscle adapts quickly.

That said, I shot 3900 photos at a concert last week with my D500 and it only used 75% of the battery... It's a great platform and the 12 fps shooting is fantastic for Bird action shots. (and low light performance is grrrreat too)

Haha up I've got a D5500. How's the D500 for just walking around and shooting? Vacation and hiking-type activities are my main use and I'm a little concerned about how big it is.

Price isn't much of a mirrorless hurdle any more (other than I'd have to get a Canon lens). A used D500 splits the cost of the R7 and R10. On paper their specs are just as good if not better than the D500, although reading around the D500 autofocus might still have a slight performance advantage.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Slotducks posted:

These are just things I do - I'm sure there's purists out there who scoff at the idea of auto iso but yeah this has been my technique for the last 2 years or so. I'm still learning too!

Learning to be less precious about ISO is something I need bad, I start getting squishy about going as high low as 1600

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I test drove a couple of cameras this weekend, but didn't get a real good tele to go with them so had to settle with camping the feeder for a bit

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I flew all the way over to the PNW to take pictures of birds I have at home

Butt of Mallard by Jason DuPertuis, on Flickr

Mallard by Jason DuPertuis, on Flickr

Robin by Jason DuPertuis, on Flickr

Robin by Jason DuPertuis, on Flickr

Buncha Gulls by Jason DuPertuis, on Flickr

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

The hummingbirds finally found my feeder so I stuck my GoPro on it and surprisingly they weren’t bothered by it. It’s been a hoot watching them.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

torgeaux posted:

Hang around in person. Takes just a few minutes and they'll ignore you. I sit and watch mine in the mornings and the buzz around me inches away, especially if I wear red.

Yeah while I was setting the camera up one swooped in and watched from a couple feet away :allears:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

And this is why you always bring the camera, even if the lens isn’t ideal

Juvenile(?) Red-Shouldered Hawk

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Went for a walk and, well, always bring a camera

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I’ve been taking my camera on every baby walk for two weeks waiting for this guy. Unfortunately I had the shutter set too slow so when he took off most of it came out motion blurry

I shall call him Stumpy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Suddenly Stumpy is all over the place