Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Prismatic Robin by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Merry almost Christmas

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Wild hummingbirds outside on plants we only have indoors, I really have to go on holiday somewhere truly tropical.

Gorgeous stuff.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Well I was going to post my Egret eating a Lizard from the Canary Islands but a bloody King Vulture!!!!

Oh well have the Egret anyway, revel in its relative mediocrity.

Cattle Egret with lizard lunch by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 10, 2018

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Gull Landing by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Dull Gull

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Man I love Snowy Owls they either look majestic or mad.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
One owl is a hard drinking renegade with a loose mouth and the other is a veteran on their last day on the job.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The D500 tracking and FPS plus native lens auto-focus speed is amazing as long as you have the aperture and shutter speed to get the head stopped and in focus you are very likely to get a "winner" shot.

With mirrorless and lens adaptors from what I read the speed of AF is not as good I think that this will lead to less winner shots for BIF whereas for landscapes/portraits it's not an issue.

M4/3 seems interesting with "2x crop factor" i.e. carrying around much smaller gear but still having "600mm equivalent" reach (I know is is controversial) but the results seem okay.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Kenshin posted:

Whoa, dunno how I missed this but Sigma has released a 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/60-600mm-f45-63-dg-os-hsm-s

Not anything I need since I use a Nikon 200-500mm and have a Tamron G1 150-600mm as backup but if it's got good image quality that is a very interesting lens for some folks.

60cm MFD as well jesus that's not bad

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Since we're talking BIF one from the archives, I love the classic falcon shape, like a B2 Stealth Bomber

Kestrel by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Kestrel by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Great Crested Grebe Courtship Dance by Aves Lux, on Flickr

You get up at 6am, pack the 400mm and 1.4x get there and wish you could afford the 600 f4 cos 560mm at f8 isn't cutting it.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 26, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Is that a loving Quetzal? Jesus man great shot.

You can expose a little low and then hope that you can recover the shadows on the subject in post.

Also use exposure bracketing and use the shot that worked the best once you get it back on a your computer screen.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It's a part of the breeding plumage.

Great series of shots!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Not a huge bird person but was playing around with a new macro/portrait lens and turns out it pairs well with a tripod and wireless remote if your subjects cooperate.

Going to set something like this up for my bird bath.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Actual sunlight on a subject!

Ruff by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

bravo!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Canada Goose Takeoff by Aves Lux, on Flickr

One from a while ago I just got around looking at.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Love that second one with the foliage background.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Reed Warbler by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Very much not in a studio, elusive bastard...

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Ah the Great Northern Diver, beautiful bird.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

toggle posted:

That's just unreal!

Oh gently caress lol I commented about editing on your r/photocritique thread.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Swarmin Swedes posted:

Ha ha small world. Yeah I haven’t really gotten a chance to get in and do a lot of editing since I have been traveling and have been just airdropping them to my phone and editing with Lightroom Mobile. Definitely need to get in and work with the RAWs. Never really worked with birds or wildlife photography so definitely going to be a learning experience.

I got a few other hummingbirds but they were just hovering and weren’t nearly as good. I haven’t gotten a chance to really edit them much but here they are

great set, hummingbirds and birds of paradise are the epitome of exotic.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
https://store.naturescapes.net/better-beamer-flash-extender-compatibility-chart/

Most use flash extenders with a decent godox speedlite.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ON9AAwAt0

I just remembered this sequence of photos I took a while ago, non the shots were usable due to bad settings and distance, but I got some sweet Harrier on Shelduck action.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Adventures at 6400ISO on Canon...

Wilcat Parking Lot Owl-2995 on Flickr

Actually I'm pretty psyched about this photo. There were owls here yesterday but it was so dark photos were pretty impossible. Took a chance they might stage into the same tree and came back today a lot earlier, and they actually cooperated!

Nice shot but oof that grain. I'd try a denoise mask on the background.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
forum barfed

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 5, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

wow

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Great Black Backed Gulls are huge and voracious predators, very cool birds.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It looks like a juvenile of some type of passerine, they can be hard to tell species as often the full adult plumage is very different to the juve, maybe some sort of chat or pipit. If it were the UK id say European Robin.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Atlatl posted:

i cant believe ive been loving betrayed like this

Haha, the long con.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Honestly I find the best way with birds like that is to use continuous AF with back button focus hold the focus button down and take bursts of as many shots as possible and most likely one or two should be focussed spot on. Trying to check critical focus down a viewfinder before shooting with a small moving subject is difficult and just means you miss shots.

With editing check focus before import, do a few basic adjustments then come back to it after while I tend to come back a few times before I'm happy with the edit, I find brightness a big issue, my main monitor is quite bright so I generally have to check on a few devices before I upload.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

charliebravo77 posted:

I just bought a ticket to go to a prairie chicken viewing area to watch them 'booming' in April. I can't believe I'm this excited to go watch birds dance and gently caress but here we are.

I got up at 4am to sit in a freezing hide to watch Grebes dance as a prelude to loving and I'm planning it again this year.. Those Grebes better dance....

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Absolutely gorgeous

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Blue Footed Boobies are so charismatic, nice shots.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
So I've hired a lens for week taken a week off work at the end of this month, largely to go to a specific hide and take a specific photo. Someone just burned the hide down.

Just need a place to vent.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Fart Amplifier posted:

DSC_7254.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Not happy about the missed focus

That's a lovely photo, pity about the focus but it still works.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

neckbeard posted:

I really like the pose of this one, but find the out of focus branches a bit distracting.

Anyone else use Topaz Denoise AI or any other similar tool? Just started playing around with it. This photo was at 1600 ISO

Pine Siskin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Also, I really miss Central America

I use topaz sharpen on my macro.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Love the bird box shot!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

vessbot posted:

Yeah, I should specify that I'm interested in handheld only. And even in keeping to beginner to mid level gear, I don't want to hamstring my ability to shoot closer to dusk, which points me toward IS.

If your old EF 70-300 is the one I'm looking at, do you remember anything about the mode 2 IS? If it does what it seems to do from my surface level of understanding, it's weird that they took it off the newer version, because it would be a shoe-in for helping stabilize moving animals. Maybe it turned out to be a useless gimmick, but OTOH maybe it was so good that they took it off the mid level gear to leave it only on the pro stuff?

I looked at the Tamron 150-600, and after I got past the woozy fantasies of having something like that to shoot with, I think that it's at a level beyond where I'm looking to be, in terms of walking around ability. It says it's so heavy that you shouldn't have it unsupported from the body, so now if need to temporarily let go for some reason I need a tripod (or I let go without needing to, like we've become aware wrt. subconscious face touching in the last few months...)

What about the buying process? I'm thinking about used for the obvious reason (after getting over my hangup over it not being "perfect") but I've been told for that that you definitely want to try the lens out at a store. But then I'm so excited about this that once I've made a decision, I don't wanna wait weeks or even months for stores to open up! :ohdear: (edited to add, this is actually in good in forcing me to do some more thorough research instead of shooting my load too early because I want to have one in the mail tonight! I'm loving the filtering tool on dpreviews, any other must-use resources in this journey?)

Rent the lens first if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Raikyn posted:

tui by Marc, on Flickr

Such a character, Tuis are great fun to photograph.