Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Here’s another one from this shoot. I initially dismissed it because the exposure is garbage, but I have since decided that I don’t care.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

ExecuDork posted:

Re: foreground elements

16 May 030 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
When editing this one, I tried to keep just enough of the bright green grass in front of and behind the Spangled Drongo.
The composition works on this one, but the bird is really underexposed. At first glance it’s just kind of a black blob. Also think focus is on its tail instead of its head, but it’s so dark that I’m not entirely sure.

quote:

16 May 033 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
And here, I'd like to know how distracting the branches and seed pods around this White-Cheeked Honeyeater are.

The branches and seed pods around it are fine. The branch running in front of it is less than ideal, but I think it’s the leaves directly behind the bird hurting this one. The tail-feathers show up well because of the contrast with the sky, but there’s little contrast between the bird’s body and the leaves. If you look at the picture in thumbnail view you can barely tell it’s a bird, and that’s how other people are going to first experience the picture.

Similar comment to the above on exposure. The scene overall is exposed well, but the picture is of the bird, not the scene overall.

tk fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 6, 2020

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Getting to know some of the new backyard birds.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Someone tell me where to find the bird in this photo, because I'm totally missing it.

Glad I’m not the only one. I couldn’t find it even though I was 100% sure that there was a bird somewhere in there. I had to have mrs tk point it out to me. She found it right away.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

DorianGravy posted:

Cool stuff! I always like photos which make birds look like tiny, ferocious dinosaurs. tk's photos show some of the most ferocious types of tiny birds. Hummingbirds are loud when the buzz around!

Watched a lot of diving and chasing action today it was pretty fun. Tried for a while to capture some but that’s not super easy.

Closest thing I got:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
This is not a great shot but I've been trying to get this Steller's Jay for a couple months now and am excited to have gotten it mostly in focus. This fucker comes into my yard a couple times a week and it's loud as hell but it has eluded my camera until now.

Next up I need to hunt down the woodpecker.

tk fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 15, 2021

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I mostly have hummingbirds and crows, so the jays coming around occasionally are a treat. I hear woodpeckers even more rarely and have only seen one once.

The hummingbird fights are great but haven’t had good luck capturing anything.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Off leash dogs in natural spaces are such a pet peeve of mine. There's an awesome park area outside of Portland that used to be a great birding area with frequent migrants and rarities that turned into a defacto dog park since the park rangers gave up enforcing the leash laws. Its basically impossible to bird there anymore with people running dogs everywhere, shouting and yelling after them. Super bummer. I love dogs but man, some dog owners can be real entitled assholes

My favorite dog owner thing is when their dog gets all up on you for no reason and then they laugh and tell you oh it’s okay he’s a nice dog.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

God this thread is insanely bad for me as a hobbyist bird photographer who is just starting out. Everything in here is so loving incredible.
If you’re taking pictures that are good for you, then :justpost:. Worst case somebody points out that it’s not a great shot, which you seem to already be aware of. Best case somebody points out something that helps you improve next time.

It’s a hobby and you’re doing it for fun and there’s no shame in not being great at it.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Find the crow

Find the seagull

Find the bald eagle.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Same. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen an owl outside of a zoo.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

800peepee51doodoo posted:

They're tough birds to find usually, what with the whole being nocturnal and completely silent most of the time.

That’s what I tell myself but then my mom sends me this cell phone shot of an owl just chilling at her work and I feel a little left out.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

my cat is norris posted:

That second one is an eastern towhee (or rufous-sided, depending on the age of the book).

Towhees are kind of freaky looking

Edit:

tk fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 9, 2021

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I have been spending a lot of time with the backyard birds recently

Juncos

Nuthatches

Flickers

Hummingbirds might be my favorite

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Here’s a couple shots of a Rufous hummingbird that locked down one of our feeders for a couple weeks.

That one left and now it’s back to the Anna’s

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

really like the environment here

Rockport, WA. I would definitely recommend it.

The Steller’s Jays have been keeping me company while we’re snowed in.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
That’s interesting. The Steller’s I’ve got are pretty bold around humans compared to most birds. Starlings and nuthatches would be the most obvious exceptions, they don’t give a gently caress. Most of the other birds are happy to eat our food but Steller’s are the only ones who come right up and wait for me to throw it to them.

None of the other big birds will stay in the yard if I’m around. Have to be stealthy to get a shot of any of the woodpeckers. Even the crows won’t come into the yard if I’m facing them.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I will say that I spend a lot of time out on my patio with a few of the Steller’s that live right here. And I can tell which are visitors be used they’re more skittish and some will refuse to go into the yard solo if I’m too close.

Smaller birds are definitely friendlier, but Steller’s are probably the only thing bigger than a sparrow that’s remotely friendly to me.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Snow birds

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

Please tell me that snowflake is actually on the tip of its beak! :love:

Yep! (Although does it really count if you can’t be sure from the original?)

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Just gotta prep yourself

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I hate towhees they make the most grating sounds and they wake up real early. That second shot is real nice though.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I have a Blue Jay that loves to imitate hawks,
I like this. I've jumped up and run to get my camera and head outside to take a picture of the eagle that turns out to be a Steller's Jay wanting more peanuts.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

drat, 9am bowling? I’d definitely join.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

I rather like this one for motion.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I befriended an Anna's Hummingbird

Nice shot. Pro bird feeder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mega Comrade posted:

Just got my Nikon 200-500 delivered and it's pissing down with rain for the next week :argh: