Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

jarlywarly posted:

If it makes you feel any better I got up at 5am to walk to the place to take that shot for dawn, there was a pair of them hunting together, but they were hunting into the rising sun so that's one of the only real good shots.

embeds too big will fix

A little.

I have an own nesting area, but I'd have to hike thru snow to get there. Soon, soon, I'll have some dry ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Kayaking on Lake Union, I see

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

tk posted:

Same. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen an owl outside of a zoo.

They're tough birds to find usually, what with the whole being nocturnal and completely silent most of the time.

jarlywarly posted:

If it makes you feel any better I got up at 5am to walk to the place to take that shot for dawn, there was a pair of them hunting together, but they were hunting into the rising sun so that's one of the only real good shots.

Well, it's definitely a good shot! I have yet to get a useable owl in flight picture, that's awesome.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

800peepee51doodoo posted:

They're tough birds to find usually, what with the whole being nocturnal and completely silent most of the time.

That’s what I tell myself but then my mom sends me this cell phone shot of an owl just chilling at her work and I feel a little left out.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Had a back-of-head kind of day. Weird light, too. Couldn't see anything because the snow was reflecting everything, but cloud cover so diffuse AND way, way too bright.

Not Gonna Look by B. B., on Flickr

Back of the Head Kind of Day by B. B., on Flickr

At least got one profile.

Profile at Least by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Haven't been shooting in what feels like forever. These were mostly bad mid afternoon light and heavy crops but it was still nice to get out.

Hello owl friend.
Wildcat 2021 owl-2546 on Flickr

Wildcat Mourning Dove-2560 on Flickr

Wildcat 2021 vulture-2533 on Flickr

Wildcat 2021 white-crowned-2475 on Flickr

Wildcat 2021 goldfinch pulling fibers-2438 on Flickr

Wildcat 2021 red wing in grass-2404 on Flickr

Wildcat 2021 Cal Towhee-2288 on Flickr

Wildcat 2021 Wilsons Warbler-2207 on Flickr

torgeaux posted:

Had a back-of-head kind of day. Weird light, too. Couldn't see anything because the snow was reflecting everything, but cloud cover so diffuse AND way, way too bright.

Not Gonna Look by B. B., on Flickr

Back of the Head Kind of Day by B. B., on Flickr

At least got one profile.

Profile at Least by B. B., on Flickr

I can hear this picture

Nice!!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

DorianGravy posted:

Cool stuff. I like these two in particular. Majestic!

If you're looking for input, you may want to try putting birds a little off-center when developing your photos (consider the rule of thirds). (Edit: to clarify, I'm not talking about the photos I quoted above; just making a general comment. I really like the composition of the second photo I quoted!) Also, decide what the most interesting element of each photo is. Sometimes you want to showcase details of the bird itself, in which case you should do a tighter crop. Other times the most interesting element is how the bird fits into its environment, in which case you may want to do a wider crop to show more branches, sky, lake, etc. Just look through photos you like from other people and figure out why you like them.

For non-composition thoughts, you may want to make the photos a little brighter in post. For example, look at the brightness and vibrancy of other photos on this page. I'm no expert, of course, and other people here may have other ideas. I think your photos are nice already!

Thank you!

Yeah I would like them to be brighter, but two things are preventing me. The adult eagles, get the head blown out so I gotta keep it down. On the very first one (this one), I went through the trouble of masking the head off so I could keep it the way it is while brightening the rest up, but that's too much effort to do as a matter of course. I really like the ones that don't have this factor and I can have nice and bright, like the juvenile above, or the osprey below.

And the other factor is that even a small or moderate amount of bumping the exposure up, brings up a ton of noise in the shadows. And mids.

There's also a funny effect where I spend enough time with a set of pictures in Darktable looking "objectively" at which dynamic details I can see, where the histogram is, etc., and my brain adapts to it as looking normal. Then when I get away from that and my brain resets and later I quickly show someone a picture on Flickr on my phone, it's dark as hell and how did it get like that?!

As far as the composition, I'm aware of that tip, and I used to do it a lot more, but... it just feels conrtived, and I get self conscious like I'm trying to show off a talent I don't actually have, if that makes any sense? Like "ooh, look, you left space in front of the bird :rolleyes:." So most of the time I just shy away from that and just fill up the frame with it like a document. But, for example, the pair of geese above, that is the full frame. First I'd decided to crop it down to them because the background was too busy, but then decided that despite the busy-ness, it felt nice to have them in their woodsy setting, and have the space in front of them where they're flying. And here is one I'm very proud of, that I may have posted last year.

Anyway, I feel like if I keep posting so many of those, I might threadjack this into my personal eagle photo journey blog. So maybe at the end of the year I'll just pick out the very best.

But in the meanwhile, another raptor

Continuing the contemplative turkey series with a robin

This little cute... bird? black capped chickadee

Whatbird yields the following:

Bay-breasted Warbler
Clay-colored Sparrow
Lark Sparrow
Smith's Longspur

... none of which seem to be it

Okay okay, maybe just one more. Fetch!

quote:

I went out to a local spot today. Spring is in the air, so it's time to sing!
What's the shutter speed on the flying mallard and red winged blackbird?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 18, 2021

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I'm not 100% familiar with US birds but is that not a Black Capped Chickadee or similar?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

I'm not 100% familiar with US birds but is that not a Black Capped Chickadee or similar?

Was just about to edit in Blackpoll warbler, but yours seems to nail it way better.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

jarlywarly posted:

yes

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

vessbot posted:

Anyway, I feel like if I keep posting so many of those, I might threadjack this into my personal eagle photo journey blog. So maybe at the end of the year I'll just pick out the very best.

I, for one, am excited for the Dorkroom version of J. A. Baker's The Peregrine.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

vessbot posted:

As far as the composition, I'm aware of that tip, and I used to do it a lot more, but... it just feels conrtived, and I get self conscious like I'm trying to show off a talent I don't actually have, if that makes any sense? Like "ooh, look, you left space in front of the bird :rolleyes:." So most of the time I just shy away from that and just fill up the frame with it like a document. But, for example, the pair of geese above, that is the full frame. First I'd decided to crop it down to them because the background was too busy, but then decided that despite the busy-ness, it felt nice to have them in their woodsy setting, and have the space in front of them where they're flying. And here is one I'm very proud of, that I may have posted last year.

I wouldn't worry about that stuff. If people actually express those opinions, then consider them, but don't get ahead of yourself. Just take pictures that you're happy with and let the chips fall where they may. From looking at your photos, I think you have plenty of talent. Just keep working on your craft (like all of us).

vessbot posted:

What's the shutter speed on the flying mallard and red winged blackbird?

They're both 1/800s at f/6.3, but I'm not sure that's optimal. The Red-winged Blackbird is one of those *almost* photos. Nothing in the photo is in focus. I happened to take a picture when it launched off the cattail, but I kept it because its got a nice sense of motion and I like the red feather borders on the bird's back. I would love to do more "birds in motion" photography, but I have trouble with the focus. Does anyone here have tips for photographing birds in flight?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

DorianGravy posted:

Does anyone here have tips for photographing birds in flight?

Use expansion point or zone focus modes, stop down a bit, bump up shutter speeds and keep an eye out for birds coming toward you from far enough away that you can find them in the viewfinder and start tracking them. This may sound obvious but practice really helps. Do you have a place where there's a lot of gulls hanging around? Go there and practice finding your subjects and tracking them.

Also, from a compositional standpoint, try to get something in the background besides blue sky. Blue sky is fine but photos are usually more interesting with OOF landscape features adding color and the bird will likely be closer to eye level.

e: oh, you might need to increase your exposure if its a dark bird and bright sky. You'll usually underexpose if you're using an averaged/center weighted meter and no exposure compensation

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 19, 2021

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
White birds exposure compensation to the left, dark birds exposure compensation to the right. Barn Owls in good light need almost a stop underexposed on your exp compensation.

Your lens if it has IS might have a different mode for tracking shots, you will almost always forget to change this.

Also that flying duck is a Shoveler I think.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm also still learning to get birds in flight, and spent this weekend trying to get shots of tree swallows in motion, who are now back north in full force. The net result was a lot of blurry photos of tree swallows! I can only really get larger birds in flight, anything quick I can neither track or focus on yet. In time...

(this one is actually my wife's shot)

Also found a killdeer:

And the double-crested cormorants are back on the river. The herring run is in about a month and should be a sight to behold... these guys and the herons will suck down so much fish they can't fly.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

I wouldn't worry about that stuff. If people actually express those opinions, then consider them, but don't get ahead of yourself.

To be clear, nobody has said any of this to me, it's purely internal monologue. But thanks for the encouragement.

quote:

Does anyone here have tips for photographing birds in flight?
My noob take:

Exposure: After some initial trepidation before deigning to access the dark powers, I settled on Manual because even up-close birds don't fill the spot metering circle and the semi auto modes went wild. I'd also tried evaluative, and compensating for the difference between bird and background, but that would only work with one background. As a bird could be against white sky then against dark brush one form one frame to the next in the same pass, this didn't work either.

Shutter: 1/1250 for big slow birds and faster for little ones, or quick action. (I see pictures online at 1/800 of eagles, by seasoned guys. I imagine staying at 1/1250 for a while)
Aperture: as close to wide open while still staying sharp, which for my lens is one stop down, turning it into f/9.
Which leaves the ISO as the one leftover thing to control the exposure with.

When the sky is blue, I set it so aiming at bare sky just above the horizon the meter shows one stop to the right (at the same setting, 45 degrees up it's centered, and straight up it's one stop to the left). Also on the histogram, the sky spike is around the left edge of the 4th (of 5) zones.

This gets the head right on bald eagles, with the rest being a bit too dark. The settings on the osprey are 1 stop higher than that, but also I've only shot that (only counting since seriously thinking about this stuff) once. And there were some clouds in the sky, I don't remember if any were blocking the sun.

If there's a thin overcast, the light meter is 2-3 stops to the right, and the sky spike is in the center of the 5th zone, ie almost full white.

I haven't had yet to deal with individual clouds blocking and unblocking the sun.

A redwing blackbird at 1/1600 from last year.

jarlywarly posted:

Your lens if it has IS might have a different mode for tracking shots, you will almost always forget to change this.

One time I was below an osprey nest, and directly down-sun of me, 3 of them spent 5 minutes circling directly in front of me just above the ground, in the sunlight. Just their bodies were filling the frame, it felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity and I took hundreds of shots. My mouth was agape.

Every single one was ruined, because I'd left the IS on non-panning mode :qq:

Perfectly wrong sun angle on this crow, but the shoe fits.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 25, 2021

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
I got outside yesterday and got a couple of passable captures:

Here's a crow:

Crow by Jack R, on Flickr

And here's an Oystercatcher

Oystercatcher by Jack R, on Flickr

Essex Wildlife Trust have built a new hide on the reserve that I typically walk around; until this point there were just a pair of old sheds that had almost rotted away - lovely to see.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Bufflehead by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That subtle iridescence!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
That's a sexy duck!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Album of the whole set

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

the maine state bird! i snapped this one last week (not the best shot from the bunch but i like this expression):

also on the same trail that day some glossy ibises came down out of the sky looking like dinosaurs and made me regret cheaping out on my gear

and here's a grackle about to poo poo outside my window:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally getting out with my new R6. It's going to take some getting used to but I like it so far.

The weird: Miss the top LCD screen a bit. I used it more than I thought I did to check stuff like what the exposure comp is set at. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Also weird- having the viewfinder black when you first put it up to your eye, until you wake it up with a button press.

Coolness: having two back-button focus buttons, one for the AF point and one for the eye detect.

I'm still getting used to the camera. The eye detect is pretty neat but for the casual shooting I was able to do this week, it wasn't that revolutionary. But watching it follow a woodpecker up a tree is pretty fun.

I'm already liking the control layout.

20fps electronic shutter is way more than I need in most cases. I'm already hate wading through and deleting, and this just amplifies it. Will probably stick with the mechanical shutter unless I need the quiet or I'm dealing with really fast motion.

First pics. Most of these are heavily cropped.
Tamron 150-600.
Gyuto camtest ScrubJay-0187 on Flickr

Gyuto camtest DeJu-0218 on Flickr

Gyuto camtest DeJu-0223on Flickr

Different day, Canon 400/5.6. I'll probably rent some TCs to try with this soon.
Wildcat camtest HaWo-0477 on Flickr

Wildcat camtest WeBl-0332 on Flickr

Wildcat camtest MoDo-0263 on Flickr

Wildcat camtest Scrub Jays -0552 on Flickr

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Happy duck

Action duck

Guys, I'm sorry but I suck too much at using Whatbird :(

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Nice Swallow

birds are

Mallard male
Mallard female
Tree Swallow

Blackcap feeding by Aves Lux, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Regarding birds in flight:

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Use expansion point or zone focus modes, stop down a bit, bump up shutter speeds and keep an eye out for birds coming toward you from far enough away that you can find them in the viewfinder and start tracking them. This may sound obvious but practice really helps. Do you have a place where there's a lot of gulls hanging around? Go there and practice finding your subjects and tracking them.

jarlywarly posted:

Hmm, I'm using a Nikon d5600 with a Nikkon 200-500mm lens. My focus modes are "Auto-servo AF," "Single-servo AF," "Continuous-servo AF," and manual focus. I use auto-servo for most things, and have been trying continuous-servo for birds in flight. Is that right? When I'm taking pictures of fast birds flying in front of water, the camera often focuses on the water, so I'll have to read up on how to deal with that. I'm not familiar with expansion point or zone focus. It seems like "zone focus" is just keeping the camera on manual and photographing things in a certain range?

This is great! Cormorants are cool.

vessbot posted:

A redwing blackbird at 1/1600 from last year.

This is a fantastic shot! I love how in-focus the individual feathers are. And there's a ton of other fantastic stuff on this page, too!

I went birding at my normal spot this morning. In addition to Red-winged Blackbirds and Great Blue Herons, I got a great view of a Bald Eagle. I'm trying to do more bird-in-flight photos, but the focus is tricky.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

quote:

Hmm, I'm using a Nikon d5600 with a Nikkon 200-500mm lens. My focus modes are "Auto-servo AF," "Single-servo AF," "Continuous-servo AF," and manual focus. I use auto-servo for most things, and have been trying continuous-servo for birds in flight. Is that right? When I'm taking pictures of fast birds flying in front of water, the camera often focuses on the water, so I'll have to read up on how to deal with that. I'm not familiar with expansion point or zone focus. It seems like "zone focus" is just keeping the camera on manual and photographing things in a certain range?

That's the focus modes on your camera sounds like you are using them correctly, however on some lenses with IS there's modes for the IS for still/panning.

On my Canon 100-400 L IS II there are 3 modes changeable by a switch on the lens

Mode 1 is for still subjects (perched birds.)
Mode 2 is for tracking moving subject (flying birds.)
Mode 3 is IS only on when taking a shot.

https://www.canoncamerageek.com/canon-100-400-stabilizer-modes.html

http://billferrisphoto.com/2016/01/...20or%20quickly.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 2, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Spring bird photos. I love these little guys, I swear more than the bald eagles.

Posed For Me by B. B., on Flickr

Indignant by B. B., on Flickr

Crop question on this one. I could not shoot around the obstacle, but loved the shape of the bird with the snow. Which works better?

In Spite of the Obstacle by B. B., on FlickrCurves by B. B., on Flickr

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

the warblers are here!

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

the warblers are here!

Yay! Those are gorgeous.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I am jealous of those pictures.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Crop question on this one. I could not shoot around the obstacle, but loved the shape of the bird with the snow. Which works better?

Yeah, juncos are pretty cool. The ordinary, extraordinary junco (some junco researchers put together a film about them with this name).

Regarding the crops, I might go even tighter on the close one. If your intent is to emphasize the shapes of the bird profile and snow, you could crop in from the left a little more so that the pointy corner of the brown patch just hits the edge. This would make the shapes a little larger in frame and abstract the color patches a little more so that the brown patch kind of matches the bill shape. Just my thought while covering parts of the photo with a piece of paper.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE, I'm jealous over here on the west coast. I did get a very distant hermit warbler the other day but our wimpy spring migration seems especially anemic this year maybe because of all the fires last year.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
My partner and I rented a cute little cottage this past weekend not too far from Nisqually NWR and went birding both mornings.

Saw some fun things!

Warblers:

Other little birds:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

That's the focus modes on your camera sounds like you are using them correctly, however on some lenses with IS there's modes for the IS for still/panning.

Thanks. I don't think I have those, but I'm having fun.

torgeaux posted:

I like the closer crop. On the wider crop, the right edge is fine, but the out-of-focus left edge is distracting If you wanted a medium crop, you could try just cropping off the left part. And yeah, Juncos are great. They're the only birds that come to my feeder.

Fantastic Warbers, Moose and Kenshin. Yellow birds are my favorites.

When I went out yesterday, there were lots of swallows darting around over the water. I assume they were hunting for little bugs flying over the water. Here are four different species flying around the same pond:

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Barn Swallow

Violet-green Swallow

Cliff Swallow

It would be neat to see all of the U.S. species of swallows (or another type). I've seen these four and Purple Martins.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Your 200-500 does have IS modes as per the second link (unless I got the lens wrong)

Chaffinch with scaly foot by Aves Lux, on Flickr

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Met a kingfisher the other day. It looks like it belongs in the tropics, not on these cursed latitudes where it's still below 0°C at night in early May. Photos didn't exactly turn out super sharp though, mostly because I was too far away on the other side of the river, but I'm happy with what I got. I sat on the riverbank for like an hour and saw the birds pass by up and down like 4-5 times before I got even this much - they're just really hard to catch in flight with how fast they fly so close to the river.

Kingfisher on Flickr

Kingfisher on Flickr

Also met this kestrel:

Common kestrel on Flickr

I got this stationary shot from far away, with the camera set to 1/250th. Then I was going to head closer, but then the kestrel took off and got into an argument with a crow, and while I got some cool shots of that it was still at 1/250th so it's all blurry. Didn't have time to stick around and wait for it to come back either. :smith:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 4, 2021

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Some shots from this weekend. Haven't managed to get any of warblers that I'm happy with.

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

Baltimore Oriole

Baltimore Oriole

Eastern Screech-Owl

Eastern Screech-Owl

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The warblers have really taught me a difference between what's good for birding and what's good for photography. The unquestionable best place for spring migration in the area is a garden cemetery with very tall trees and a lot of space, so they'll flit about in and out of view constantly and I mostly get shots of their undersides. All of my good shots have been from a hotspot on the bank of a river, where I'll see far fewer birds on a given day and won't see some of the rarer species, but they'll regularly dip to eye level and they move around in one area for a while.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The warblers have really taught me a difference between what's good for birding and what's good for photography. The unquestionable best place for spring migration in the area is a garden cemetery with very tall trees and a lot of space, so they'll flit about in and out of view constantly and I mostly get shots of their undersides. All of my good shots have been from a hotspot on the bank of a river, where I'll see far fewer birds on a given day and won't see some of the rarer species, but they'll regularly dip to eye level and they move around in one area for a while.

Yeah, all of those photos were at Mount Auburn, and all of the warblers were too high in trees, and the ones that were close had poo poo lighting. Where are you getting your shots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

EPICAC posted:

Yeah, all of those photos were at Mount Auburn, and all of the warblers were too high in trees, and the ones that were close had poo poo lighting. Where are you getting your shots?

North side of the Charles in Watertown, mostly around the dam. Yellow-rumped are common there at the moment but the rest are pretty sporadic. Good spot for cormorants and there's a group of black-crowned night herons