Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
was camping in southern Yukon and the local Bald Eagle population seemed to taunt me for just having a Nikkor 70-300

Bald Eagle Nest by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Bald Eagle with chick by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Bald Eagle by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

Blue Jays are way nicer when they don't have to worry about roving flocks of blackbirds.

DSC_0403.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Love how vibrant the colours on this one are, wish there were more Blue Jays in my area, I'm lucky to see one every 2-3 months.

Went to the park the other day, all the geese and ducks are stopping by as they make their way south.

geese at the park by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

geese at the park by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

diving duck by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

BeastOfExmoor - you got much closer to Waxwings than I did, but I suspect that may be because I was taking pictures at my local off-leash dog park with my Doberman.

Male Downy Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Female Downy Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Bohemian Waxwing by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Bohemian Waxwing by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pileated Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pileated Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta. Took those shots in Leduc, which is a little suburb south of the city. The park is really good for shooting birds, 40 acres and half is light forest, there used to be a small lake in the middle about 50 years ago, so when the snow melts in the spring there's a lot of wetland and water fowl hang around (that's when you don't want to have a Doberman around)

The Pileated took me by surprise, I had spent a good 20 minutes chasing the male Downy around, it was always going from tree to tree and always obstructed by branches. I caught the female around the trunk of a tree was happy and headed out of the woods and then all of a sudden, there was the Pileated, only about 10 feet up.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Any chance you'd mind pointing out that park on google maps for me please? I usually go to the river valley but it's so busy there it's hard to sneak up on a lot of stuff as two seconds later some family with a loud dog will ruin everything.

http://g.co/maps/ubmqm

directions from Edmonton: http://g.co/maps/va3my

The satellite view is a couple years out of date as they've done a lot of construction/expansion on the Black Gold Centre, the dirt road that connects off Black Gold Drive is now paved, you take that past the BGC parking lot to where those 6 vehicles are parked. Also, the multi-use path that's outside the dog park perimeter will take you along the edge of Telford Lake, there's a few hawks that patrol the field in between and tons of birds by the lake, especially in the spring, there's deer there from time to time as well.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Some from this afternoon

Canadian Geese by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Black-capped Chickadee by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Common Redpoll by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Male Downy Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

A couple of Pine Grosbeaks from this morning, once the sun came out properly they all seemed to disappear :(

Pine Grosbeak by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Shooting birds is my new favorite thing, thanks thread!

A crow came by trying to start some poo poo, it kept creeping up on the owl, got onto a branch on the same tree as it maybe 8 feet above the owl before it took off and the owl could go back to chillaxing

Barred Owl by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

We had two days of actual spring, then it snowed yesterday... Went to the park hoping to catch some colourful birds to contrast against the snow covered branches - didn't have any luck, but I did find the owl I saw last week again.

Sad Owl by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Was about to head back home when a bunch of Pine Gosbeaks, including a male, arrived.

Male Pine Gosbeak by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Edmonton doesn't start to get nice looking for another 5 weeks or so, so prepare for a whole lot of grey.

Hawrelak Park is pretty good for bird sighting, it's right along the river and there's a few bird feeders along the paths/roads. http://g.co/maps/yh95e Also, Beuna Vista/Laurier Park across the river are good as well. There's a bridge at the south end of Hawrelak that connects them. As far as owl spotting goes, there's a Barred Owl in Hawrelak Park, there's a Great Horned Owl nesting pair somewhere in the city, though the guy that has shot it doesn't want to post the location of the nest so it doesn't get disturbed and I don't think I'll have the chance to see the guy in person for over a week. Your best bet for Hawk Owls would be to drive out east to Elk Island National Park and the Cooking Lake region (just south of Elk Island) For birds of prey, take one of the country roads that's west of the highway between Edmonton and the airport and drive around/hope for the best.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went to Banff on the weekend. Didn't really see too much wildlife though, quite a few hawks flying around west of Calgary but was driving at the time. Was checking out the sunny beaches of Canada at Lake Louise and caught this Clark's Nutcracker taking advantage of an unattended picnic table

Clark's Nutcracker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

Hard to say for sure, but the tail makes me think a Swallow of some kind?

Barn Swallow

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

HookShot posted:

"I'm going to go to Notre Dame cathedral, so I'll just take the 18-55 kit lens because really, I'm not going to see anything there that's going to require the 70-200 F/4 L."

:bang:

Duckies by hookshot88, on Flickr

Ducks rule, I don't know what drake heads are made out of, but they need to start making car exteriors out of it too

Mallard in a "pond" by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Mallard in a "pond" by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Mallard preening by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

ACTIVATE SUPER FLUFFY

Horned_Lark 003 on Flickr

Despite being super fluffy, this one looks :black101:

Goldeneyes and Red-breasted Mergansers have started to arrive, but I haven't been able to get any decent pictures because for the past couple days it's been snowing and/or raining.

Unhappy Ring-billed Gull by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

DSC_0097.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I have no idea what is coming out of his nose.

looks like a blade of grass that's lost all it's chlorophyll based on the surroundings.

Here's a couple Goldeneyes from a couple days ago. Had problems getting a nice shot of a male's head that showed off the green/purple, lighting was weird with the ice in the pond and how dirty the water was. Also, these things are really skittish, but when they take off they just do a lap or two of the pond and then land within 10 meters or where they took off from.

Male Goldeneye by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Female Goldeneye by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Gull does not approve of other gull eating chicken by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

American Wigeons by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Lesser Scaup by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

still no baby birds up north where I live :(

Picture didn't turn out as great as I would have liked, was a bit taken off-guard and it started to dart off into the trees. Even though I was at a park alongside a major river was a bit shocked to see a pheasant in the middle of the city

Ring-necked Pheasant by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Lesser Scaup Hen by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went to the lake by my dad's place earlier:

Barn Swallows by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-necked Grebe by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-necked Grebes by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Common Grackle by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Common Grackle by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-winged Blackbird male by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-winged Blackbird female by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

American Coot by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

I finally got a chance to head outside yesterday. Got a couple of firsts for me which was nice.

I don't know what kind of hawk this is, anyone know?

Looks like Swainson's Hawk based on the chest pattern. Pablo Bluth, Red-shouldered Hawks don't come to western Canada.

Also, InternetJunky, apparently there's a Bald Eagle's nest somewhere on the east side of the city in the river valley

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Mandarin Duck is what they are. Not too closely related, Mallards are in a big genus, Mandarins are in a different, small, genus that just has the Mandarin in Europe/Asia and the Wood Duck in North America

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Canada Geese goslings by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

I'm like 95% sure this is a brown-headed cowbird, can someone confirm/deny?

Brown-headed Cowbird female by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Saw some puffins while in Iceland, unfortunately it was overcast and windy so the majority of the shots I took didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.

Puffins by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

The past 3 times I've driven over to my girlfriend's house there's been this Red-tailed Hawk perched on the same lamppost. I drive over yesterday evening with my camera with me this time at 7:30pm, there's gorgeous lighting, and the drat hawk isn't there...

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Vancouver Island goons; I'm going to Sidney/Victoria next month and was wondering what kind of migratory birds may be passing through the area in early October?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Haven't been having the greatest luck with birds this past week.

There's a group of about 10 pelicans out on the lake by my dad's place, but they just sit on this warf that's a wee bit out of range of my 300mm lens. There's 2 herons (not sure what kind though) nesting at the far end of the lake as well, but there's no good viewing angle to see them on foot. On Thursday I chased a Blue Jay around for awhile at around 7pm, had great light, but the drat thing would always fly into the shade or somewhere where there were branches obstructing the majority of it's body.

That being said, did have some success;

I'm 95% sure these are Cedar Waxwings and not Bohemian, but not 100% sure as I haven't seen any adults around of either species

Cedar Waxwings (juvenile) by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Cedar Waxwings (juvenile) by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-necked Grebe (juvenile) by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

This one is from back in April, not sure why I never uploaded it

Crow on a branch by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 15, 2012

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went to Sidney, BC over the weekend

Pelagic Cormorant hangout by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pelagic Cormorant by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pelagic Cormorant hangout by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Great Blue Heron by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Not sure what kind of birds these are, little help?

20121006-DSC_0364 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Had a few hours to myself so I went to the park

Never seen one of these. I think it's a ring neck duck which migrate to AZ during the winter.

Yep, that's what it is, has a 'deer in headlights' look to it in those shots

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

I drove 1.5 hours out of the city last night with my car loaded up with astrophotography gear, and on the way saw a great horned owl and a snowy owl -- both posing on the top of poles during the golden hour of sunset. Last winter I drove thousands of kilometres everywhere hunting for a snowy owl (unsuccessfully).

Of course I didn't have any normal photography gear. :argh:

I'm going back today with full gear so here's hoping!

You're in Edmonton, right? Check around Nisku/Leduc and the airport. My dad works primarily out of Nisku and said that last winter there was a snowy owl hanging around this one same spot all the time somewhere in the park. I've seen Snowy Owls along the chainlink fence by the airport.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went to the Calgary Zoo yesterday:

King Penguin by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Gentoo Penguins by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Gentoo Penguins by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Gentoo Penguin by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

All that driving finally paid off. Found not one but two snowys today!

He (she?) flew off before I could move to get the sun in a better spot. I'll take it regardless.

Very nice, I'm hoping to go out looking for snowy owls on Friday, provided it does stop snowing by then and the clouds go away.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

You're in Edmonton as well, right? Highway 21 and Township Road 540 seems to be where the two I found yesterday hang out. Some bird watcher list I signed up for mentioned them there 3 days ago and since they were still there yesterday I assume they're in the area for the winter. Good luck though -- that's still a lot of country road to cover in that area!

Cool, I was going to check around the airport this week, but I'll probably check that area out next week, looks like there's hawk owls in the area too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/bird/map?&fLat=53.6096&fLon=-113.2119&zl=13

Staring out the window at work about 15 minutes ago, there were some mapgies trying to chase away a bald eagle flying around the Hotel MacDonald

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Nice IJ, I saw one Snowy yesterday on a fence post along Highway 19 between Range Road 252 and 253. But it was on the other side of the road and when I was finally able to pull a u-turn and get back to the spot, it was gone.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Coots have the weirdest looking feet

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Snowy Owl still eludes me, but found a Barred Owl today, it was nice having some really good light at 2pm today, but the temp was hovering around -17 with a -30 windchill

Dark-eyed Junco by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Common Redpoll by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-breasted Nuthatch by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Oh man those are all lovely! That male grossbeak is beautiful -- I still haven't been able to track down a group since I saw the bunch of females. Where on earth did you find the owl?

Thanks, owl is in Hawrelak Park, originally I was going to go to the CN Rail grain terminal and look for falcons, but there's no wind protection there. There were actually quite a few male Grosbeaks at the park yesterday, at least 4.

same male as before from the other side:

2 of the other photographers who were out managed to get a Brown Creeper.

Those attack shots are awesome, one of the guys who I was talking to showed us this picture he had taken of a Short Eared Owl having a face-to-face standoff with this squirrel which was pretty awesome, he doesn't have Flickr or anything so can't link it :(

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 22, 2012

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

:monocle: Great work

It looks like it's wearing wool socks.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

drat, this one rocks - love the water colour

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Love the look on it's face.

So bummed out today, I have the day off, was going to go down to Gold Bar Park and look for the bald eagle there, but it's completely overcast today, yesterday was absolutely perfect but I was stuck at work...

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Just did some HD re-organizing and going from my pics from a trip up north from 2011

yeah, having a 500/600 lens sure would be nice...

Townsend's Solitaire by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Grey Jay by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

American Robin by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Chipping Sparrow by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

drawing a blank on this one for some reason, can someone identify?

a birdie by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

One Swell Foop posted:

Looks like one of the Pewee flycatchers to me, whereabouts was it?

North eastern Yukon, like 50Km or so north of the Arctic Circle