Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Pretty sure that's a junco.

ahhh yes, thanks, I thought it was going to end up being something I've seen before that I should know. Not being able to see the wings threw me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Everything you say is true. There's a nature group doing a winter bird count in my city, and they're up to 73 separate species now. I never realised the variety around here, even in the dead of winter. Before I joined the group I would probably have been able to track down 15-20 of those. I spent 3 winters unsuccessfully looking for snowy owls, and this year after finally getting some info on some locations I'm up to almost 30 separate snowys I think. The great gray owls I keep posting are a group of 4 that are hunting in a roughly 20x20km patch of land. If you don't get info on where they are you could be driving around for weeks in either direction and probably never see one.

Had another snowy sighting, on top of a lamppost on Highway 2, but... it was on a lamppost right where an on-ramp from Nisku connects to the highway... and this was on Saturday when it was snowing and crazy windy at 4:00pm when the road was busy and the conditions way too lovely to pull over

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Bald Eagle by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

I was standing in knee-deep snow during this next shot, thought it was getting ready to take off to hunt one of the mallards in the river... nope.

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 26, 2013

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Not mine, but I think the regular viewers of this thread will enjoy these sets. From another avid bird photographer in the same city as me; there's a massive grain elevator which attracts a lot of pigeons, which in turn, attracts a lot of birds of prey...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymklee/8429122814/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymklee/6889793457/

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

quote:

No glue or bait was used in the making of this image.

Glue? People aren't putting glue onto perches and hoping a bird lands there, are they?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Ghost Cactus posted:

I'm back with (too many) pictures from yesterday!

drat, that's a good day of birding, where was all this?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

smallmouth posted:

I think this is the first I've seen one of these in MI.

brown creeper by philip painter, on Flickr

brown creeper by philip painter, on Flickr

Nice, I haven't been able to get a shot of a brown creeper yet, they have some pretty good camouflage when they're on a tree and their back is to you

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Had a great afternoon at the park yesterday, although the Bohemian Waxwings were up a bit too high in the trees for my 300mm lens, but I'm sure that won't be the case for long as they all migrate back through my area in the next few weeks.

White-breasted Nuthatch by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Downy Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Black-capped Chickadee by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-breasted Nuthatch by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-breasted Nuthatch by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Bohemian Waxwings by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Bohemian Waxwing by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Best shot I could get of this Flicker - first time I've seen one, wasn't sure how close I could get

Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Woodpecker that you can get ridiculously close to:

Pileated Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pileated Woodpeckers by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Not a great pic, but until someone proves me wrong I am making (the most likely outlandish) claim that these 3 pileated woodpeckers being photographed together is the most amount of adult pileateds ever photographed at the same time.

3 Pileated Woodpeckers by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of anyone ever photographing more than two Pileated Woodpeckers in the same tree or even immediate area. I've always assumed they are mating pairs when seen together so I'm curious who the third wheel is. Last year's chick, perhaps?

You're in Edmonton, right? When I was there at the end of March 2012 I drove around northeast of the city looking for a couple raptors that had been reported there. I didn't find them, but I came across a large flock of Waxwings hawking insects by the road. They were right at eye level, not skittish and within thirty feet. I believe the spot I saw them was here, but I suspect you might have some luck anywhere you could find low-traffic roads with low brush around wet areas that hold insects. The weather was the first warm weather of last spring, from my understanding, so that probably brought out a lot of the insects.

Alberta Bohemian Waxwing by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

I'll hopefully have some good shots to post once I go through my photos from Belize. Central america is essentially paradise for anyone who loves birds.

Someone else on another site had stated the breeding pair can stay with the most recent young outside the breeding season.

Yeah, I'm in Edmonton, temperatures are still hovering around the freezing mark during midday, but still fairly cold overnight, so will probably be at least a few more weeks before the insects show up. Normally everyone in town photographs Waxwings in the winter in fruit-bearing trees (as they're quite photogenic when they toss berries up into their mouths) but the area I was in a bit lacking of those.

Jealous of the Belize trip, late last year there appeared to be a very strong possibility work was going to be sending me to Guatemala for a month or two, then they said "nope, we're sending the same people as last time" so I'm probably going to head up to southern Yukon and western Alaska in the summer.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Bahama.Llama posted:

I'm with you. I bet one of those is an adolescent. Took this one when I was out for a walk with my parents when I lived with them. Nothing spectacular, but fit the topic nicely.

Pilated Woodpecker's have the best looking chicks.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

We got a foot of snow on Thursday, had to strap on the snowshoes when I was photographing birds this afternoon

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went to Vancouver over the weekend, wish I had a longer lens to capture a bald eagle being chased by a crow (It's a good thing they have that 'majestic' reputation because in reality they're pansies and scavengers)

Baby geese! (the only redeeming thing about Canada Geese)

Canada Goose with goslings by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

I was waiting for this turtle to attack, but it never happened

excuse me, I'm a turtle, not a rock by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Was tracking some blackbirds along the edge of a little pond

Red-winged Blackbird by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

When this guy dropped in a couple feet away from me

Great Blue Heron by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

missed the crop by just a wee little bit :(

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I cheated and went to a conservatory/aviary...

Yellow Headed Amazon Parrot by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

African Grey Parrot by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Society finch by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-shouldered Macaw by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Blue-and-yellow Macaw by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-winged Laughingthrush by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pied Imperial Pigeon by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Star Finch by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Eclectus Parrot by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Eclectus Parrot by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Zebra Finch by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

page 43: "Post a heron or gtfo"

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Edmonton.jpg right here...

Red-tailed Hawk by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-tailed Hawk by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

I'm planning on heading back out this weekend for a few days of 100% birding and photography so I figured I better process whatever I needed to from last weekend or else I'd never get to them.

Red-tailed Hawk

Awesome lighting/scene in this one, pity this weekend looks like the entire province is getting rained on.

I was thinking of heading down around Devon/Beaumont to look for hawks on my days off next week if the weather changes

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Really like this one. Sometimes I find it funny how some common birds (black-billed magpie, common grackle) photograph magnificently in the right light.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Red-necked Grebe by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Barn Swallow by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Blue Jay by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Looks like you and I had a similar day yesterday. I love the detail and colours on both the Grebe and Swallow.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is pretty loving amazing.

Thanks guys

IJ - whereabouts did you see that turkey vulture you posted recently? Seems a bit weird to have them up here, but I guess with climate change, bird territorial ranges are getting messed up, especially further up north.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

drunk robin rules, what was it doing there?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

off-topic, but I've been watching a couple livecams featuring Peregrine Falcons in my city; http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/media/peregrine-cam/watch-the-peregrine-live/u-of-a-peregrine-camera/ One is actually 2 blocks north of where I work. It's awesome when they bring back pigeons to feed their chicks

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

You know what's cute?

A Saw Whet Owlet, that's what.

[edit]
Much cuter -- 3 owlets!

Those look awesome, I take it you went out with The Owl Guys? (I saw some similar pics pop up on my Flickr feed)

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Yeah, that would be great, I'm off in Banff this weekend running a marathon, but after that I have a couple weeks to relax until it's time to start training for the next one, so I was hoping to do a bunch more bird photography.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Not sure is this is a Swainson's or a Broad-winged Hawk, the plumage is throwing me off

Hawk by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

House Wren by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Pretty good timing on this post. I just spent the day with the guy who wrote the book on raptors (literally: http://www.amazon.ca/Field-Guide-Hawks-North-America/dp/0395670675/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1372553543&sr=8-5&keywords=william+clark+bird) looking for Harlan/Red-tail hybrids in Alberta. Looks like you found one! Do you remember where it was? He's going to try and band some Monday morning. If you're interested you can probably join us.

http://goo.gl/maps/UAZLi East of 127st on top of the lampposts on the north side of 142ave There was a hawk hanging around the area last summer too, just never had my camera with me when I've seen it before

I got a nice blurry pic of it's tail as it took off

Only registered members can see post attachments!

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 30, 2013

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

All good with using that pic. I gotta work tomorrow during the day, so won't be able to come out

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Brown-headed Cowbird (female) by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

They can have blue eyes when they're young, never knew that

young American Crows by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

stuck? go grab a boat and look for some belugas or polar bears!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

really liking this one.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

scottch posted:

Yeah, I think you're right. We get quite a few arctic terns around too, so had assumed these were as well, but the black-tipped, orangey bill seems to ID it as common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzwv057GPs

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Cedar Waxwing from this morning

Cedar Waxwing by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

EPICAC posted:

I love this crop!

EPICAC posted:

I love this crop!

Thanks :) Kinda bummed out that the twig intersected the yellow tip of the tailfeathers though. I was actually out looking for a merlin (or some other small raptor that I had seen hanging around the park the day before) but couldn't find it. This was the first time I had seen a waxwing around all summer so it was a pleasant surprise.

Spent the evening getting eaten alive by mosquitoes for these:

Juvenile Bald Eagle by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

This one was sitting in shadows and just as the sun moved into a nice position it took off

and then I wept because I only have a 300mm lens

Bald Eagles by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Awesome pics all around, those birds are just so sleek looking. Any story behind the blood on the tail feathers?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

You should feel guilty! No bread means empty stomach, empty stomach means no picture of a swan making GBS threads :(

I remember when I got the shot of a bald eagle defecating - I had been standing in knee-deep snow (forgot the snowshows) for about half an hour waiting for it to do something, it's feathers started to ruffle and I was thinking 'hooray! it's about to take off! time for some action shots!' and I just started taking shots rapidly only to have it stay perched on the branch and squeeze out a poo poo... Anyone else have a similar feeling when that's happened?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

a couple from this evening, too much junk in the way though :smith:

Sora by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Swainson's Thrush by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I live Van also and actually my gf took a picture of a gull doing exactly what you're describing a month ago or so. Looked for the photo but it's not on my computer.

Bunch of shots from the Bloedel Conservatory in Vancouver. I'm still learning so it was great to go out and shoot relatively captive subjects. I don't know the names of these birds sadly.

Bloedel8 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Eclectus Parrot

quote:

Bloedel7 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Blue-and-yellow Macaw

quote:

Bloedel6 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr
Princess Parrot

quote:

Bloedel5 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

quote:

Bloedel4 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr
African Superb Starling

quote:

Bloedel2 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr
Princess Parrot

quote:

Bloedel1 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Zebra Finch

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went to Vancouver Island on the weekend

Black Oystercatcher by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Belted Kingfisher by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Killdeer by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Killdeer by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

I'm not too familiar with shorebirds, so I'm not 100% certain this is a Least Sandpiper, and not sure about the last one either

Least Sandpiper by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Least Sandpiper by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

20131012-DSC_0936 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Your shorebird looks like a Spotted Sandpiper. The best distinguishing characteristic is that they dip their tale up and down constantly. See this video for an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQX2EzsGjzo
They are also much more likely to be seen foraging alone.

The second bird is a Whimbrel. I'm surprised it was still that for north in mid-october.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

First one looks like a Spotted Sandpiper. Leasts are tiny "peeps" (sparrow sized), and usually in flocks with other Leasts or Western sandpipers. Spotted sandpipers are ~ 1 or 2 sizes up, maybe mourning dove sized or a little smaller than that. Also, Spotted are constantly twerking (god, I can't believe I just typed that).

Second one is looks like a Whimbrel- slightly smaller than the Long-billed Curlew, with more pronounced head stripes and overall more tan and less red/brown color.

Great pics- I really like the 2nd heron and the oystercatcher.

Thanks guys, the Sandpiper was doing the motion in that video, but it's bill isn't yellow/orange. Was also smaller than the Killdeer, they were in within a foot or two radius of each other. Whimbrel is on the opposite page of the Long-billed Curlew my bird guide so I had no clue.

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 16, 2013

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

I went to the Arctic and I saw Arctic Terns.

Arctic Terns 11 by Execudork, on Flickr

Arctic Terns 13 by Execudork, on Flickr

Arctic Terns 15 by Execudork, on Flickr

Arctic Terns 20 by Execudork, on Flickr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzwv057GPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

What about selling/licensing shots to artists/painters? A friend of a friend likes to paint to ward off cabin fever up in the Yukon during the winter and used a shot of a bald eagle I had taken for a painting (for farmer's market type sales)