Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Looks like an Anhinga?

Nah, some form of Cormorant for sure.

Birding season should be starting soon, but only some freezing ducks so far.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Finally getting some spring here.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

One Swell Foop posted:

Not my pic, but it looks like a pair of great crested grebes.

Yep indeed. There's usually a few couples around. Lovely little creatures.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Are those last ones Northern Shovelers?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I have the same lens on a d750 and I find it needs to be stopped down to f/8 minimum to have any sharpness, still it's nice to have that reach.

I think there's a fair amount of sample-to-sample variation on these. Had one and it was quite sharp wide open. Was never a fan of the stabilization though, way "jumpier" than the Canon lenses. Haven't had a chance to try the gen 2 150-600 so may well have improved.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

President Beep posted:

It’s just occurred to me: I purchased that lens as an Amazon open-box deal, and it does seem a bit soft to me, but I’ve been withholding judgment until shooting conditions improve. I wonder if someone bought it originally, realized it was a soft copy, and sent it back.

I think I’m gonna set up some indoor tests...

It wasn't unusual at least a couple years back that people bought 2-3 of them and kept the best one.

Sigma seems to have a little more consistent QC in their 150-600 models.

Here's a 100% crop from my gen 1 Tamron 150-600. It rarely nailed focus this well though so 90% of images were just a little softer.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

I really only know Canon systems, but if your choice was between a used/new 7D2 and whatever you could buy in Canon's full frame lineup for the same price, I would choose the 7D2 every day purely for the AF system and FPS. This is from the perspective of bird photography specifically of course. If you shoot lots of other stuff then all sorts of other factors come into play.

For 7D2 money I'd go for a used 1D4 every time as long as you can deal with the weight.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

BetterLekNextTime posted:

^^^ Thanks! I could have spent a lot more time with them. What a classy bird.

I think the 150-600 would be on the way to the 500. I see your point, but for me it's two pretty different use cases- hiking up hills with a lighter lens versus bring a tripod and going to see a specific bird or two within a half-mile of the parking lot. Upgrading the 400L is lower priority because it's more or less been working. Getting something with more reach is more of a priority, but the cost of the 500/4mk1 is quite a bit more than the 150-600.

Why not the 100-400II and 1.4x? That makes for a nice combo and the 100-400 is something that makes sense to keep when you get the 500.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I haven't read up on that combo, but I'll look into it. I was typically shooting at f8 with my old 150-600 so I guess it wouldn't be too different.

I dig it at least. AF works great with the 5D IV even in crap light.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

A few with 5D4, 100-400, 1.4x

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I too liked the "flying through space" look which is actually sunlight bouncing off mosquitoes.

Leaving for the US in a couple weeks so will get to visit my herons and egrets. Plan to take lots of shots with the 5DIV+1.4+100-400II combo. Really makes for a manageable size package with excellent AF and sharpness. F/8 isn't fast but the 5DIV handles high ISO with ease.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

Thank you for the advice! I'll keep trying out the lenses that I have to get better at tracking and editing photos before I move onto anything new.

With the pixel density on a modern DSLR you can crop an awful lot and still get decent results, making your 300 a bit "longer" if you will. Obviously a longer focal length will help out (and the serious birders are spending big $$$ on long lenses for a reason) but being limited to 300 shouldn't mean you can't get a lot of good shots. WIth the 1.5x crop on Nikon it acts like a 450mm would on a full frame, and I am currently shooting at 560mm on full frame most of the time which is sufficient to get a lot of nice shots.

When you do decide to upgrade though, the 200-500/5.6 is the one I'd look at.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The third albino leg is an extremely rare mutation, whoever shot that got super lucky.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

toggle posted:

Nikon 200-500 is great. But really heavy..

Yeah, I have that one and the 500PF and it's a world of difference when you're out shooting for a day.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Atlatl posted:

i cant believe ive been loving betrayed like this

It's like a dpreview thread come to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Swallows are adorable little chubsters.