Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

neckbeard posted:

drat, them eyes...

This. Great photos.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
White Tailed Ptarmigan, been wanting to find some of these forever. Stumbled upon a pair while hiking today but the light was not great and I only had my 80-200 which was ok but would have been nice to have something a little longer.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Moon Potato posted:

Those are fantastic ptarmigan shots for only having an 80-200mm. How close did it let you get?

Within 10 feet I would say. They seem surprisingly tame.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Linedance posted:

Could be behaviour too (unless they were just foraging around in front of you and not bothered). Grouse and things like that tend to assume their excellent camouflage (just look at that guy blend into that mossy rock) makes them invisible so they will just sit there until they realize that you aren't going away and you have actually spotted them, then they'll flush or run off.

Yeah pretty sure it was behavior, the location likely does not see many people and they certainly knew I was there. Unfortunately since we don't seem to have any snow this year they don't blend so well...

A few fun facts:
  • they are the smallest grouse in North America
  • In winter, the White-tailed Ptarmigan defecates an average of 49 times overnight. (seems fitting for this thread)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

neckbeard posted:

wtf is going on, there's reports of the one in Jasper still being there yesterday and now there's one on Vancouver Island

http://bcbirdalert.blogspot.ca/2015/07/crested-caracara-in-nanaimo-area.html

drat it, I guess I missed this, oh well.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
You guys just need to get lighter hiking gear so you can bring heavier /more camera gear, that is my strategy anyways.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Look into getting a better beamer if you are wanting to start using flash, it will really help with increasing the reach of your flash.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Eh, I have one and I've used it, like, once. It seems like if you've got to pull that thing out the chances of the picture being any good are pretty slim. Again, though, some people swear by them so YMMV.

I get that but I mean if you are already setting up a blind etc then that seems like a minor thing at that point. Nice pictures by the way, I need to not be lazy and use my telephoto more often...

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Nice work 800peepee51doodoo.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Sooty Grouse

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Do bats count as birds?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Not a good photo but I figured some people would find it interesting:

This is a swiftlet nest in a cave in Borneo. Yes that is "blood" (according to the guide at the time but some Googling tells me that is not the case) in/behind the nest. These are the nests that are collected for birds nest soup.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I've always wondered what it tastes like. The soup, I mean. I doubt many people just eat the nest straight-up.

Yeah not sure, it seems like an odd thing to eat honesty.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VelociBacon posted:

A lot of not very great photos in there to be honest.

You are not joking, some are not even close to being sharp/in focus...

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I also suspect it is more common for an eagle to come across a dead fish in the water.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

A different raven.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Barred owl fledgling took an adventure out of the nest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

DorianGravy posted:

Oh no, I'm worried on its behalf! Did it fall out of the tree, or just awkwardly cling to branches?

(Awesome photos, by the way.)

When I first go there it was hopping around on a tree where its nest was but it took a tumble and landed in an adjacent tree which is what you see. It eventually made it to a much larger branch but by the time I had left it was still not back in its nest. The parent was watching the whole time so I am hoping it made it back fine. I have not been back since to check in on it.