Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I'd like to introduce everybody to Cohen. She's a 9 week old Australian Shepherd, a future agility superstar, and the reason I'm not getting any sleep at night. Aussies are amazing dogs; I can't wait to see what kind of lady she grows in to.

Here she is at 5.5 weeks, while still at the breeder's. They grow so quickly!

And here's my last Aussie, Diefenbaker. What an ugly mug, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Cohen is now 5 1/2 months old and is starting to get coordinated enough to contort herself into some pretty amusing shapes in her attempts to catch a ball.

She's getting spayed tomorrow so I thought I'd get a few action shots before she's confined to leashed walks and moderate exercise.

Play bow!

Every time she tries to catch a ball she'll launch all 4 feet up into the air. She misses most of the time.

Catching a ball in our kitchen.

She recently finished her basic obedience class, and passed with flying colours -- she was awarded as "Top Dog". As silly as it is, I'm pretty proud of her.

edit: poo poo, I was looking through old puppy photos, and this one made me laugh. She had grabbed hold of the broom and was trying to take it under the table with her, only to realize a bit too late that it didn't... quite... fit properly. This was when she first arrived -- she was about 9 weeks old.

a life less fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 17, 2010

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Wow, Pazuzu is getting so big. Nice photos too!

Here's Cohen again, 7 months old. The first is her glamour shot, the second is her awkward-ugly-yet-endearing shot.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

This picture makes me laugh. Cohen loves her Cuz.

And a video of some tricks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRmCUfrr-_0

That's my lame first attempt at making a video, so you'll have to pardon the quality. But Cohen is a helluva smart dog.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I'm going to photodump a few shots of Cohen from the last month. She's 10 months old now. They grow up so fast.

She recently finished her Rally-Obedience Novice A title (RN). This is her posing with her Rally ribbons. I'd like to think that she looks pretty impressed with herself, but the reality of the situation is that she probably doesn't give a poo poo.

This is an "action" shot of a Rally course. You move through a ring with different stations requiring you to ask your dog to do something, and then you hope like hell they don't get distracted by the crumbs of three day old biscuits accidentally dropped on the course.

Happy dog appears to be happy. She's waiting for me to throw the ball.

Dog in grass.

Action shot! Apparently I'm incapable of keeping her in focus. She does these crazy, sprawling, often inelegant jumps to catch the ball. It looks hella cool, but I worry about her puppy joints.

I think my dog's pretty, and I kind of love her. :colbert:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Cohen made you a cookie...

... but she rolled in it, destroyed it, and eated it.

Also, the cookie was mostly dirt.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The wife convinced me to get a cat 3 weeks ago, and now I'm afraid that I like him.
We named him Pangur Ban, he's becoming more and more comfortable with us, talking more and hanging around us more. We are now slowly introducing him to our 2 ferrets.

Love the name!

Content:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Cohen

Beauty and the Beast

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I love this thread. Photos of people's animals make me :3:

Here's a new one of Cohen. It also makes me :3:

She looks pretty clean and crisp here. Little do people know that she's normally covered in dirt and smells of whatever mostly decomposed thing she rolled in recently.

(Not really.) (Well, okay, sometimes.)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Laranzu posted:

I came home for Thanksgiving to discover my parents adopted a horse from the animal shelter. This is Candy. She is 5 months old and 53+ lbs. She is something crossed with BIG and has some nice eye lasers in this terrible cell phone picture. Her paws are huuuuge and her legs are super long.

Looks like an Anatolian Shepherd (mix?). Very cute.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Those are some good looking dogs. Nice and trim, and out of the multitude of "doodle" coats, that's the coat type I prefer. If I ever had one of those dogs I'd never cut their hair. Shaggy dogs all the way.

Content:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Here are some new photos of Cohen from our afternoon walk. She's 16 months old now, and is shaping up to be a pretty solid agility dog and a satisfactory couch potato. She loves the snow and acts like a puppy when she's off leash. Plus, the snow makes her look pretty.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Oh my goodness, what a strange dog. He was all "gently caress yeah, Cops is back on!" You have a very awesome dog :3:

This is my new-ish dog, Riley. She is some sort of Chihuahua mix. She originally came from a shelter in Sacramento, CA and made it to Eastern Washington.

Here she is modeling her new sweater. And yes, she is as derpy as she appears. She enjoys eating and drinking with one back leg in the air :iiam:

I'm not sure there's much "mix" in there. She looks like a BYB deerhead Chihuahua to me. But it's hard to tell from that angle.

Cohen likes to be comfortable.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

SHE'S SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today was bath day. I try to enjoy the fluff while it lasts.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

t-rex posted:

He is pro at chilling:

...he absolutely LOVES water. He gets right under the water and lets it run all over his face, in his ears and everything.

I'm sure it's silly to suggest it, but he looks a hell of a lot like a Turkish Van. His fascination with water supports my :downs: theory. Odds are he's a mutty mutt domestic long hair, but his resemblance is uncanny.

For content:

I have a low bed. My dog likes to chill on it like this.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Spiffster posted:

Started in the Flea thread, moving it here for a quick question. IS MY DOG FAT!?

Once again, here is Lolligag. This is the photo that started it. Taken off my lovely camera phone.

Now here is a photo of her a few minutes ago. we took the Cone of Shame off so she could sniff and go potty.

So...

IS MY DOG A FATTY!?

From what I see, yeah, I think she's a bit of a fatty.

Basically you should be able to see a nice tuck up from the side, as well as a nice line of obliques running along the spine between the hips and the ribs. Seeing the line of the rib cage is a good sign too. The general rule of thumb is that you should be able to lightly run your hand over her side and feel ribs without having to apply pressure.

Here's a few photos of dogs who are a bit more in shape for comparison:

Dachshund

Beagle/something cross

And my Aussie, 'cause it's the Post Yer Pet thread.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Loving Corwin.

Here's Cohen, leaping over tall bits of PVC in a single bound.

And here she is at the beach.

I wish I lived the life of my dog.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Christmas photo dump.

Look at how festive Cohen is!

Festivities still going strong!

"Uh, this IS my Christmas Happy Face."

"Getting bored. Are we done?"

"Fine, gently caress, do whatever you want."

Christmas cheer my rear end.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Robo Olga posted:

Your dogs are gorgeous, please forgive a dumb question but are they from the US? People here look at me like I'm crazy when I say my mom had dark orange golden retrievers growing up since apparently they are only supposed to be light yellow or something. I'm wondering if there's a difference between US and Canadian ones.

Red Golden Retrievers are more common in working/field lines. You'll see loads more of them out retrieving ducks than you'll see in the show ring. There are also white Goldens, but I'm pretty sure they've been designed almost purely for the pet trade.

Dogs love snow. And photograph relatively well in it.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Go Cohen Go! :3:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

This was taken on my morning walk today.

I love living by the beach. It's so damned pretty. And dog friendly.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Cattle dogs don't come in merle. They're just heavily ticked. Shelties DO come in merle, but they tend to have full length tails. Aussies are often docked but sometimes have a natural bob. My guess is an Aussie mix (I guess x Sheltie, since people knew the dame). Was she a merle?

Crazy ears.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Photos of dogs! Photos of my dogs! Cohen and Mega!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

albany academy posted:

Trying a couple different methods to get him to chill out, and up until now I've been trying that assertive/alpha male stuff. But a friend advised us to just ignore him in his outbursts/put him in his cage if he's being REAL bad, and only show attention when he's being a nice little doggie (which he can be!)

So we'll see how it goes.

Good advice. Sounds like you could use some updated training tips. Alpha crap is super outdated.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

skyydude posted:

Neither of them have been spayed/neutered. Based on apparent personalities, I'm thinking that I'll let Crono keep his balls. If that's not the right way to go, please let me know!

Intact male cats will mark. Intact male cat urine smells terrible. Definitely DO NOT recommend keeping either cat intact.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Missing Name posted:

Toy poodle time. We call her "Shark Week" because we can't train her to stop mouthing every single thing she comes across. Kicked out of obedience school for being a super spaz, beyond normal poodle puppy expectations. She's so adorable when we have to take her outside or put her in her crate - she'll run up the stairs and lie down at the top or landing, with her belly exposed.

Bet that dog would be killer at sports. She sounds fun. Just gotta channel the insanity.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

New trick :3:

Old trick

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Enjoy your puppy mill puppy!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Cohen is majestic and elegant always.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I'm normally pretty happy to share photos. Can't speak for others though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Boxed pets? Don't mind if I do!!!

• Locked thread